tag cloud

Lieven Gekiere
Hi,

Has anyone made a tag cloud with Lasso?
Any thoughts on how to create this?

Lieven
_________________________________
Lieven Gekiere
SHpartners Belgium
[mail] [hidden email]
[web] www.shpartners.com
[mobile] +32 495 57 85 66
[office] +32 497 55 00 00
FileMaker 8 Certified Developer

Re: tag cloud

Fletcher Sandbeck
> Has anyone made a tag cloud with Lasso?
> Any thoughts on how to create this?

It seems like a tag cloud is just a fancy name for a join database with
user-defined categories.

You could create an "article" databases with ID, Title, Body, etc.  A
"tag" database which has an ID and Tag.  And then a "cloud" database
which has simple records with a tag_id and article_id (and maybe an
owner_id).

I haven't tested these, but hopefully they will give you the idead.  You
should b eable to find all articles for a given tag with code like this:

SELECT * FROM article LEFT JOIN cloud ON cloud.article_id = article.id
LEFT JOIN tag ON cloud.tag_id = tag.id  WHERE tag.tag LIKE "mytag"

You should be able to list all tags for an article with code like this:

SELECT tag.tag, COUNT(*) as cnt FROM tag LEFT JOIN tag ON cloud.tag_id =
tag.id WHERE cloud.article_id = 1234 GROUP BY cloud.tagid

The count is what you would use to highlight which tags are more popular
on a given article.

Hope this helps,

Director of Product Development       http://www.lassostudio.com
OmniPilot Software, Inc.                http://www.omnipilot.com

Re: tag cloud

Lieven Gekiere wrote on 2/12/2007 7:10 AM:
> Has anyone made a tag cloud with Lasso?
> Any thoughts on how to create this?

I came across a tag cloud for the last 30 years of Microsoft (use the slider to view the various years):

<http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/tags/>

It uses this PHP library to create it; probably could be ported to Lasso:

<http://chir.ag/tech/download/tagline/>

Re: tag cloud

Lieven Gekiere
Thanks Fletcher and Bill,

Forgot to mention that I'm using Filemaker 8.5 :-)
It will be more difficult, and much slower for sure to get the same
result.

Lieven
_________________________________
Lieven Gekiere
SHpartners Belgium
[mail] [hidden email]
[web] www.shpartners.com
[mobile] +32 495 57 85 66
[office] +32 497 55 00 00
FileMaker 8 Certified Developer

> It seems like a tag cloud is just a fancy name for a join database
> with
> user-defined categories.
>
> You could create an "article" databases with ID, Title, Body, etc.  A
> "tag" database which has an ID and Tag.  And then a "cloud" database
> which has simple records with a tag_id and article_id (and maybe an
> owner_id).
>
> I haven't tested these, but hopefully they will give you the
> idead.  You
> should b eable to find all articles for a given tag with code like
> this:
>
> SELECT * FROM article LEFT JOIN cloud ON cloud.article_id = article.id
> LEFT JOIN tag ON cloud.tag_id = tag.id  WHERE tag.tag LIKE "mytag"
>
> You should be able to list all tags for an article with code like
> this:
>
> SELECT tag.tag, COUNT(*) as cnt FROM tag LEFT JOIN tag ON
> cloud.tag_id =
> tag.id WHERE cloud.article_id = 1234 GROUP BY cloud.tagid
>
> The count is what you would use to highlight which tags are more
> popular
> on a given article.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> [fletcher]-

Re: tag cloud

Fletcher Sandbeck
> Thanks Fletcher and Bill,
>
> Forgot to mention that I'm using Filemaker 8.5 :-)
> It will be more difficult, and much slower for sure to get the same
> result.

Actually, FileMaker value lists should get you most of the way there.
The idea of a tag cloud is that the end-user can add their own tags. If
you create a value list which is defined by the values contained in a
field then that value list will contain all the tags in your cloud.  You
should be able to use summary fields in a portal to get the count of
tags for each article.