speed question: file hand-off or web access?

speed question: file hand-off or web access?

Steve Upton

I think I know the answer to this one but I though it worth asking.

I am working on a graphing / reporting module in another language (REALBasic) that will probably run on the same machine as Lasso. It will grab raw data and create graphs, PDFs, etc.

So, I have two ways for Lasso and my app to interact. My app could communication with Lasso through Apache for updates, to get raw data, etc. I already have this working for some other functions.

OR Lasso could write the "raw" data to a file on disk and then pass the reference to my app when it comes looking for work (or gets called in other ways).

It seems that, for larger data sets, popping out a file would be faster than streaming things out through Apache and the network stack....

any opinions about which one might be faster and what other pitfalls may exist?

regards,

Steve

Re: speed question: file hand-off or web access?

Douglas Burchard
On Jul 1, 2009, at 2:05 PM, Steve Upton wrote:

> I think I know the answer to this one but I though it worth asking.
>
> I am working on a graphing / reporting module in another language
> (REALBasic) that will probably run on the same machine as Lasso. It
> will grab raw data and create graphs, PDFs, etc.
>
> So, I have two ways for Lasso and my app to interact. My app could
> communication with Lasso through Apache for updates, to get raw
> data, etc. I already have this working for some other functions.
>
> OR Lasso could write the "raw" data to a file on disk and then pass
> the reference to my app when it comes looking for work (or gets
> called in other ways).
>
> It seems that, for larger data sets, popping out a file would be
> faster than streaming things out through Apache and the network
> stack....
>
> any opinions about which one might be faster and what other pitfalls
> may exist?

I don't code in REALBasic, and can't authoritatively compare these two
choices. But, I'm wondering what data Lasso has that you're passing to
your custom module. If these are data Lasso is pulling from another
source (MySQL for example, but any source really), wouldn't it be
easier just to grab the data directly from there, and not go through
Lasso at all?

--
Douglas Burchard, President
DouglasBurchard.com, Web Applications