server_ip tag

Robert Carpenter
Hey all-

On my L8.5.5/OSX10.5 install, the server_ip tag is returning, uhh,
nothing. zip. zilch. nada.

Pretty sure that machine has an IP address, though, given that I can
connect to it over the internet and all.

Can anyone confirm/deny function of the server_ip tag - lassotalk
returns some threads, but nothing determinate.

TIA!
-Robert-

Re: server_ip tag

stevepiercy
Works on my dev laptop, LP 8.5.6/OSX 10.5.  I used a file with only this:

[Server_IP]

--steve

On Wednesday, July 29, 2009, [hidden email] (Robert Carpenter) pronounced:

>Hey all-
>
>On my L8.5.5/OSX10.5 install, the server_ip tag is returning, uhh,
>nothing. zip. zilch. nada.
>
>Pretty sure that machine has an IP address, though, given that I can
>connect to it over the internet and all.
>
>Can anyone confirm/deny function of the server_ip tag - lassotalk
>returns some threads, but nothing determinate.
>
>TIA!
>-Robert-
>

>--
>This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

Re: server_ip tag

Steve Upton
At 5:42 PM -0700 7/29/09, Robert Carpenter wrote:
>Hey all-
>
>On my L8.5.5/OSX10.5 install, the server_ip tag is returning, uhh, nothing. zip. zilch. nada.
>
>Pretty sure that machine has an IP address, though, given that I can connect to it over the internet and all.
>
>Can anyone confirm/deny function of the server_ip tag - lassotalk returns some threads, but nothing determinate.

where, or more important, when are you asking for it? I found (explained to me on this list) that looking for it early in site startup can be too early for it to be populated.

At least, I think that's how it worked. And no, I don't know why...

regards,

Steve

Re: server_ip tag

Robert Carpenter
Thanks to all that have replied so far, but still no dice.

A few more tidbits:

I've updated the site to L8.5.6 - no joy.

The tag appears in response to tags_list as "_global_server_IP",
although interestingly, this:
        tags->(find:'server_ip')->id;
returns '0'

The tag works fine on my dev box, also running L8.5.6/OS X 10.5. That
dev box does have the following differences, though:
- it's running OS X client, not server
- I only have a single lasso site config'ed on dev, whereas the
production box has 5 sites configured in Lasso Admin (including
"default')

Not seeing any warnings/errors in logging.

I've kludged my away around my current need for server_ip, but it's a
puzzle, and is making me wonder if there might be other issues.

Can anyone running multiple Lasso sites verify server_IP function?

Thanks!
-Robert-

On Jul 30, 2009, at 10:52 AM, Steve Upton wrote:

> At 5:42 PM -0700 7/29/09, Robert Carpenter wrote:
>> Hey all-
>>
>> On my L8.5.5/OSX10.5 install, the server_ip tag is returning, uhh,
>> nothing. zip. zilch. nada.
>>
>> Pretty sure that machine has an IP address, though, given that I
>> can connect to it over the internet and all.
>>
>> Can anyone confirm/deny function of the server_ip tag - lassotalk
>> returns some threads, but nothing determinate.
>
> where, or more important, when are you asking for it? I found
> (explained to me on this list) that looking for it early in site
> startup can be too early for it to be populated.
>
> At least, I think that's how it worked. And no, I don't know why...
>
> regards,
>
> Steve

Re: server_ip tag

jolavesen
I also had problems with server_ip.  We had a bunch of nearly identical servers and there was a few that the tag would return nothing.

What I did to get around that was write a tag using os_processs to parse the output of ifconfig instead.

Robert Carpenter wrote
Thanks to all that have replied so far, but still no dice.

A few more tidbits:

I've updated the site to L8.5.6 - no joy.

The tag appears in response to tags_list as "_global_server_IP",
although interestingly, this:
        tags->(find:'server_ip')->id;
returns '0'

The tag works fine on my dev box, also running L8.5.6/OS X 10.5. That
dev box does have the following differences, though:
- it's running OS X client, not server
- I only have a single lasso site config'ed on dev, whereas the
production box has 5 sites configured in Lasso Admin (including
"default')

Not seeing any warnings/errors in logging.

I've kludged my away around my current need for server_ip, but it's a
puzzle, and is making me wonder if there might be other issues.

Can anyone running multiple Lasso sites verify server_IP function?

Thanks!
-Robert-

On Jul 30, 2009, at 10:52 AM, Steve Upton wrote:

> At 5:42 PM -0700 7/29/09, Robert Carpenter wrote:
>> Hey all-
>>
>> On my L8.5.5/OSX10.5 install, the server_ip tag is returning, uhh,
>> nothing. zip. zilch. nada.
>>
>> Pretty sure that machine has an IP address, though, given that I
>> can connect to it over the internet and all.
>>
>> Can anyone confirm/deny function of the server_ip tag - lassotalk
>> returns some threads, but nothing determinate.
>
> where, or more important, when are you asking for it? I found
> (explained to me on this list) that looking for it early in site
> startup can be too early for it to be populated.
>
> At least, I think that's how it worked. And no, I don't know why...
>
> regards,
>
> Steve

Re: server_ip tag

Johan Solve
Still nothing after restarting Lasso?

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 2:42 AM, Robert Carpenter<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey all-
>
> On my L8.5.5/OSX10.5 install, the server_ip tag is returning, uhh, nothing.
> zip. zilch. nada.
>
> Pretty sure that machine has an IP address, though, given that I can connect
> to it over the internet and all.
>
> Can anyone confirm/deny function of the server_ip tag - lassotalk returns
> some threads, but nothing determinate.
>
> TIA!
> -Robert-

Mvh
Johan Sölve
____________________________________
Montania System AB
Halmstad   Stockholm   Malmö
http://www.montania.se

Johan Sölve
Mobil +46 709-51 55 70
[hidden email]

Kristinebergsvägen 17, S-302 41 Halmstad, Sweden
Telefon +46 35-136800 |  Fax +46 35-136801

Lasso and utf8

stephane-15
Hello,
I try to serve lasso pages using utf8 charset and it doesn't work.

I added <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" /> in my web page. If I serve this page in html, it works, if it is a lasso page, all accentuated characters are not  correctly displayed. Is it a configuration problem ?

thank you in advance. I use Lasso 8.6 on Linux.

Stephane

Re: Lasso and utf8

list
You need to make sure that all files used are UTF-8 files and that
Lasso knows this. This is enabled by setting a BOM in each file.
Without BOM Lasso have to guess what encodings being used.

18 aug 2009 kl. 11.36 skrev [hidden email]:

> Hello,
> I try to serve lasso pages using utf8 charset and it doesn't work.
>
> I added <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
> charset=UTF-8" /> in my web page. If I serve this page in html, it
> works, if it is a lasso page, all accentuated characters are not
> correctly displayed. Is it a configuration problem ?
>
> thank you in advance. I use Lasso 8.6 on Linux.
>
> Stephane

Re: Lasso and utf8

Jonathan Vanherpe (T & T NV)
[hidden email] wrote:
> Hello,
> I try to serve lasso pages using utf8 charset and it doesn't work.
>
> I added <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" /> in my web page. If I serve this page in html, it works, if it is a lasso page, all accentuated characters are not  correctly displayed. Is it a configuration problem ?
>
> thank you in advance. I use Lasso 8.6 on Linux.
>
> Stephane

The meta tag will do nothing. You have to do 2 things:
-save the file as utf-8 with a BOM (byte order mark)
-either:
        -set Lasso to use utf-8 in siteAdmin (recommended, because it also
controls how in handles parameters when submitting forms)
        or
        -add the following to your page:
<?Lassoscript
        content_type('text/html;charset=utf-8');
?>

bookmark this ToTW for reference:
http://www.lassosoft.com/Documentation/TotW/index.lasso?9285

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Vanherpe - Tallieu & Tallieu NV - [hidden email]

Re: Lasso and utf8

stephane-15

thank you. I heard about this BOM in lasso archives but
- what is a BOM ?
- how do I set one ?

thank you very much

Stephane

Re: Lasso and utf8

stephane-15
Hello,

thank you for this information about character coding.
the funny thing is that my lasso settings are already utf8. I also tried to use the lasso script at the beginning of the page but it didn't translate accentuated characters.

Stephane

Re: Lasso and utf8

Jonathan Vanherpe (T & T NV)
[hidden email] wrote:
> thank you. I heard about this BOM in lasso archives but
> - what is a BOM ?
> - how do I set one ?
>
> thank you very much
>
> Stephane

long explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte-order_mark

How to set it: depends on the editor you're using. Any editor worth
using has an option for that somewhere (it should be near the encoding
settings somewhere)

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Vanherpe - Tallieu & Tallieu NV - [hidden email]

Re: Lasso and utf8

Johan Solve
Are the characters on the page typed as literal text in the file, or
are they coming from a database?

For literal text the file needs to be saved either as MacRoman (for
Mac Lasso server) or ISO-Latin-1 (for Windows or Linux Lasso server),
or as UTF-8 but in that case the file needs a BOM as others have
already pointed out.

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:36 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
> I try to serve lasso pages using utf8 charset and it doesn't work.
>
> I added <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" /> in my web page. If I serve this page in html, it works, if it is a lasso page, all accentuated characters are not  correctly displayed. Is it a configuration problem ?
>
> thank you in advance. I use Lasso 8.6 on Linux.
>
> Stephane

Mvh
Johan Sölve
____________________________________
Montania System AB
Halmstad   Stockholm   Malmö
http://www.montania.se

Johan Sölve
Mobil +46 709-51 55 70
[hidden email]

Kristinebergsvägen 17, S-302 41 Halmstad, Sweden
Telefon +46 35-136800 |  Fax +46 35-136801

Re: Lasso and utf8 solved

stephane-15
OK, I use Dreamweaver, I found that in its preferences.

thank you very much for all your support

Stephane

  _____
> thank you. I heard about this BOM in lasso archives but
> - what is a BOM ?
> - how do I set one ?
>
> thank you very much
>
> Stephane

long explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte-order_mark

How to set it: depends on the editor you're using. Any editor worth
using has an option for that somewhere (it should be near the encoding
settings somewhere)

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Vanherpe - Tallieu & Tallieu NV - [hidden email]

Re: Lasso and utf8 not fully solved

stephane-15
Hello again,

For literal text, it is now OK when I include a BOM in each web page.
unfortunately, for texts stored in a Lasso Internal database, it doesn't work. Accentuated characters are displayed incorrectly.

To store them in the database, I use simple inline tag. These texts come from text fields.

Thank you for any help, because, this part was OK when I used iso-8859-1 charset.
Do I have to encode them before I store them in the database ?

Stephane

  _____
Are the characters on the page typed as literal text in the file, or
are they coming from a database?

For literal text the file needs to be saved either as MacRoman (for
Mac Lasso server) or ISO-Latin-1 (for Windows or Linux Lasso server),
or as UTF-8 but in that case the file needs a BOM as others have
already pointed out.

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:36 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
> I try to serve lasso pages using utf8 charset and it doesn't work.
>
> I added <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" /> in my web page. If I serve this page in html, it works, if it is a lasso page, all accentuated characters are not  correctly displayed. Is it a configuration problem ?
>
> thank you in advance. I use Lasso 8.6 on Linux.
>
> Stephane

Mvh
Johan Sölve
____________________________________
Montania System AB
Halmstad   Stockholm   Malmö
http://www.montania.se

Johan Sölve
Mobil +46 709-51 55 70
[hidden email]

Kristinebergsvägen 17, S-302 41 Halmstad, Sweden
Telefon +46 35-136800 |  Fax +46 35-136801

Re: Lasso and utf8 not fully solved

Jonathan Vanherpe (T & T NV)
Read the ToTW I linked to attentively, everything you should know should
be in there. Basically you need to make sure everything that touches
your data is set in utf-8: the encoding of your pages, the database
itself, Lasso's admin, ...

Jonathan

[hidden email] wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> For literal text, it is now OK when I include a BOM in each web page.
> unfortunately, for texts stored in a Lasso Internal database, it doesn't work. Accentuated characters are displayed incorrectly.
>
> To store them in the database, I use simple inline tag. These texts come from text fields.
>
> Thank you for any help, because, this part was OK when I used iso-8859-1 charset.
> Do I have to encode them before I store them in the database ?
>
> Stephane
>
>   _____

dguardiola

Le 18 août 09 à 14:29, [hidden email] a écrit :

> Hello again,

bonjour stéphane

> For literal text, it is now OK when I include a BOM in each web page.
> unfortunately, for texts stored in a Lasso Internal database, it
> doesn't work. Accentuated characters are displayed incorrectly.

to be fully UTF-8 compliant, you also need to check if your MySQL
Bases are in UTF-8, and then check in lasso Siteadmin in each "Table"
tab if you're connecting to it in UTF-8

--
Dominique Guardiola, QUINODE
http://www.quinode.fr/

Re: Lasso and utf8 not fully solved

stephane-15
Yes, I am checking that.

THe problem is trickier than I first explained.

If I use standard inline to get the fields, it is correctly displayed (even if in the HTML source accentuated characters  are replaced by some &#xxx; codes).But If I use an SQL inline tag for the same field of the same database, it is not correct. There are now two encoded characters in the source (&#195;&#168; for é for instance). I use an internal SQLlite database.

thank you

Stephane

  _____
Le 18 août 09 à 14:29, [hidden email] a écrit :

> Hello again,

bonjour stéphane

> For literal text, it is now OK when I include a BOM in each web page.
> unfortunately, for texts stored in a Lasso Internal database, it
> doesn't work. Accentuated characters are displayed incorrectly.

to be fully UTF-8 compliant, you also need to check if your MySQL
Bases are in UTF-8, and then check in lasso Siteadmin in each "Table"
tab if you're connecting to it in UTF-8

--
Dominique Guardiola, QUINODE
http://www.quinode.fr/

Re: Lasso and utf8 not fully solved

Jonathan Vanherpe (T & T NV)
you need to add -table='<yourtable>' in your inline, which will cause
Lasso to use the proper encoding of the table it's reading from.

so your inline should look like this:
inline(-username='',-password='',-database='',-table='',-sql='');

it doesn't even have to be the correct table (so don't worry about what
happens when you do a JOIN), just an existing table that has the right
encoding.

Jonathan

[hidden email] wrote:

> Yes, I am checking that.
>
> THe problem is trickier than I first explained.
>
> If I use standard inline to get the fields, it is correctly displayed (even if in the HTML source accentuated characters  are replaced by some &#xxx; codes).But If I use an SQL inline tag for the same field of the same database, it is not correct. There are now two encoded characters in the source (&#195;&#168; for é for instance). I use an internal SQLlite database.
>
> thank you
>
> Stephane
>
>   _____

Re: Lasso and utf8 sooooooolved

stephane-15
It works! I suppose I can declare any table, because the SQL statement does a joint between two tables.

Thank you. I hope my utf8 problems are over.

Stephane

  _____