realms

Jeremy Reynolds-2
For security for Mac OS 10.3.8 Server realms seems like the only option
(.htaccess for example doesn't seem to be an option).

I have been able to get realms working but let's pretend that I input
the wrong username or password.  IT DOESN'T prompt me again to try
again.  I have to quit my browser for it to give me another chance to
put in the username and password.  This isn't how .htaccess works.  I
was wondering if there's a setting or something that I can adjust so
that if you mess up that you get more chances before it stops
prompting you.

Jeremy

Re: realms

Wade Maxfield
>For security for Mac OS 10.3.8 Server realms seems like the only option
>(.htaccess for example doesn't seem to be an option).
>
>I have been able to get realms working but let's pretend that I
>input the wrong username or password.  IT DOESN'T prompt me again to
>try again.  I have to quit my browser for it to give me another
>chance to put in the username and password.  This isn't how
>.htaccess works.  I was wondering if there's a setting or something
>that I can adjust so that if you mess up that you get more chances
>before it stops prompting you.
>
>Jeremy

Sounds like you need to try a different browser.  What are you using currently?

Or you could use .htaccess.  Just needs enabling in your httpd.conf file

  - Wade

Re: realms

Jeremy Reynolds-2
Really?  Is there any documentation that you can refer me to on how
to enable it?

Jeremy
---
>Or you could use .htaccess.  Just needs enabling in your httpd.conf file
>
>  - Wade

Re: realms

Wade Maxfield
>Really?  Is there any documentation that you can refer me to on how
>to enable it?
>
>Jeremy
>---
>>Or you could use .htaccess.  Just needs enabling in your httpd.conf file
>>
>>  - Wade

It's a big ugly topic, but the basic bit of it is that by default
apache will allow you to use .htaccess files, but the default
httpd.conf from Apple turns it off.

In my httpd.conf is the following block:

<Directory />
     Options FollowSymLinks
     AllowOverride None
     Order deny,allow
     Deny from all
</Directory>

It's the AllowOveride that disables the .htaccess files.  If you
check out the Apache documentation looking for .htaccess or
AllowOveride you should be able to figure it out from there. I
haven't tested it myself, but there is/used to be a reasonable
performance hit for using .htaccess files.  From the documentation
I've seen it says that, for each file apache processes it has to
check for a .htaccess file in each directory in the file path.

So if the url of the page being served is
/products/fresh/banana.html, apache has to check for
/.htaccess
/products/.htaccess
/products/fresh/.htacess

that pretty quickly adds up. Like I said I haven't tested, and I
don't use .htaccess files. So YMMV.

  - Wade