obfuscating quicktime file location

maxwellk2
I have a Lasso 8.5 site that has about 2000 small QuickTime files,
about 300k each. Ideally we should be steaming the files but aren't
quite ready to make the switch. In the mean time I've been trying to
figure out how to pass the file through Lasso. At this point we're not
worried about visitors saving the source file we just want to hide the
location of the files, be sure no one is directly accessing the files,
and can only do so once logged into the Lasso solution. Currently the
movie plays inside an HTML page using the <embed> tags.

Is there a way to load the QuickTIme file into memory and display it,
or pass the file through to hide it's location? Haven't had any luck
with the File_ tags or Include_Raw. I suppose one idea is to copy it
to a temp directory and server it from there.

Thanks,
Max

Re: obfuscating quicktime file location

Fletcher Sandbeck-3
On 6/9/08 at 10:58 AM, [hidden email] (Maxwell Klein) wrote:

>I have a Lasso 8.5 site that has about 2000 small QuickTime files,
>about 300k each. Ideally we should be steaming the files but aren't
>quite ready to make the switch. In the mean time I've been trying to
>figure out how to pass the file through Lasso. At this point we're not
>worried about visitors saving the source file we just want to hide the
>location of the files, be sure no one is directly accessing the files,
>and can only do so once logged into the Lasso solution. Currently the
>movie plays inside an HTML page using the <embed> tags.
>
>Is there a way to load the QuickTIme file into memory and display it,
>or pass the file through to hide it's location? Haven't had any luck
>with the File_ tags or Include_Raw. I suppose one idea is to copy it
>to a temp directory and server it from there.

Either [File_Serve] or [File_Stream] can serve a file without
revealing its real location.  [File_Stream] is ideal for this
type of thing since it only loads a small amount of the file
into memory at a time.

<http://reference.lassosoft.com/Reference.LassoApp?[File_Stream]>

This tip of the week might also be relevant:

Resumable File Downloads
<http://www.lassosoft.com/Documentation/TotW/index.lasso?9233>

LassoSoft, LLC                          http://www.lassosoft.com

Re: obfuscating quicktime file location

maxwellk2
Thanks Fletcher, I tried them, but the File_Serve and File_Stream tags
only seem to download the file. I need the QuickTime to play inside
the HTML page. Here's the code that shows the QuickTime in place:

<object width="400" height="400" classid="clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-
BC80-D3488ABDDC6B" codebase="http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/
qtplugin.cab">
<param name="src" value="/video/AB106.mov">
<param name="autoplay" value="true">
<param name="controller" value="true">
<embed src="/video/AB106.mov" width="400" height="400" autoplay="true"
controller="true" pluginspage="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/
download/"></embed>
</object>

I've been trying to find a way to replace or hide the src value "/
video/AB106.mov".

On Jun 9, 2008, at 11:02 AM, Fletcher Sandbeck wrote:

> On 6/9/08 at 10:58 AM, [hidden email] (Maxwell Klein) wrote:
>
>> I have a Lasso 8.5 site that has about 2000 small QuickTime files,
>> about 300k each. Ideally we should be steaming the files but aren't
>> quite ready to make the switch. In the mean time I've been trying to
>> figure out how to pass the file through Lasso. At this point we're
>> not
>> worried about visitors saving the source file we just want to hide
>> the
>> location of the files, be sure no one is directly accessing the
>> files,
>> and can only do so once logged into the Lasso solution. Currently the
>> movie plays inside an HTML page using the <embed> tags.
>>
>> Is there a way to load the QuickTIme file into memory and display it,
>> or pass the file through to hide it's location? Haven't had any luck
>> with the File_ tags or Include_Raw. I suppose one idea is to copy it
>> to a temp directory and server it from there.
>
> Either [File_Serve] or [File_Stream] can serve a file without
> revealing its real location.  [File_Stream] is ideal for this type
> of thing since it only loads a small amount of the file into memory
> at a time.
>
> <http://reference.lassosoft.com/Reference.LassoApp?[File_Stream]>
>
> This tip of the week might also be relevant:
>
> Resumable File Downloads
> <http://www.lassosoft.com/Documentation/TotW/index.lasso?9233>
>
> [fletcher]
>
> --
> Fletcher Sandbeck                         [hidden email]
> LassoSoft, LLC                          http://www.lassosoft.com

Re: obfuscating quicktime file location

Bil Corry-3
Maxwell Klein wrote on 6/9/2008 1:37 PM:
> I've been trying to find a way to replace or hide the src value
> "/video/AB106.mov".

Yes, change that to "/playvideo.lasso?AB106" then create a Lasso file called "playvideo.lasso" that parses the passed parameter and file_streams the appropriate video.  The technique is identical to this:

<http://listsearch.com/Lasso/Thread/index.lasso?20730#238910>

Re: obfuscating quicktime file location

maxwellk2
Cool, that did it. Thanks.

On Jun 9, 2008, at 12:13 PM, Bil Corry wrote:

> Maxwell Klein wrote on 6/9/2008 1:37 PM:
>> I've been trying to find a way to replace or hide the src value "/
>> video/AB106.mov".
>
> Yes, change that to "/playvideo.lasso?AB106" then create a Lasso
> file called "playvideo.lasso" that parses the passed parameter and
> file_streams the appropriate video.  The technique is identical to
> this:
>
> <http://listsearch.com/Lasso/Thread/index.lasso?20730#238910>
>

> - Bil

Proper/easy export format for import to filemaker db?

andre hopkins
hi lassoers,

wow has it been a long time since i worked with filemaker. does
anyone have some quick suggestions/hints for formating an export from
lasso to then be imported to filemaker?

i'm going to do a standard file create and populate that file with
some fields from a database search, and then email that file. i'm not
on site with their filemaker application so i want to get this as
close as i can before sending them stuff to try to import.

i'm thinking tab separated values so there is no comma or quote
confusions...? or is there something even easier?

can i/should i put the field names at the top of the file? any other
hints?

(the filemaker database is local and will not be hooked up to the
lasso server)

many thanks in advance! andre

Re: Proper/easy export format for import to filemaker db?

maxwellk2
Hi Andre,

You should check out FileMaker's Merge '.mer' format:

        http://www.google.com/search?q=filemaker+merge+format

The first two results should make a good case for it.

On Jun 9, 2008, at 5:16 PM, andre hopkins wrote:

> hi lassoers,
>
> wow has it been a long time since i worked with filemaker. does
> anyone have some quick suggestions/hints for formating an export
> from lasso to then be imported to filemaker?
>
> i'm going to do a standard file create and populate that file with
> some fields from a database search, and then email that file. i'm
> not on site with their filemaker application so i want to get this
> as close as i can before sending them stuff to try to import.
>
> i'm thinking tab separated values so there is no comma or quote
> confusions...? or is there something even easier?
>
> can i/should i put the field names at the top of the file? any other
> hints?
>
> (the filemaker database is local and will not be hooked up to the
> lasso server)
>
> many thanks in advance! andre

Re: Proper/easy export format for import to filemaker db?

Wade Maxfield
andre hopkins wrote:

> hi lassoers,
>
> wow has it been a long time since i worked with filemaker. does anyone
> have some quick suggestions/hints for formating an export from lasso to
> then be imported to filemaker?
>
> i'm going to do a standard file create and populate that file with some
> fields from a database search, and then email that file. i'm not on site
> with their filemaker application so i want to get this as close as i can
> before sending them stuff to try to import.
>
> i'm thinking tab separated values so there is no comma or quote
> confusions...? or is there something even easier?
>
> can i/should i put the field names at the top of the file? any other hints?
>
> (the filemaker database is local and will not be hooked up to the lasso
> server)
>
> many thanks in advance! andre

I use comma seperated myself, and quote encode everything, and put the
field names as the first line..

Something else I do is create new messages to the list directly, rather
then replying to existing messages and changing the subject.

  - Wade

Re: Proper/easy export format for import to filemaker db?

On Monday, June 9, 2008, [hidden email] (andre hopkins) pronounced:

>hi lassoers,
>
>wow has it been a long time since i worked with filemaker. does
>anyone have some quick suggestions/hints for formating an export from
>lasso to then be imported to filemaker?

This topic has been covered numerous times.  Check Nabble for relevant posts:
http://www.nabble.com/Lasso---Talk-f739.html

>i'm going to do a standard file create and populate that file with
>some fields from a database search, and then email that file. i'm not
>on site with their filemaker application so i want to get this as
>close as i can before sending them stuff to try to import.

Have them send you an export as a tab-delimited file to save effort through reverse engineering.  Have them give you what they expect to receive.

Also recommend removing yourself from the process entirely.  I give my clients an URL that is password protected, and presents them with a menu of exports.  They click and download the file based on the current dataset.  All done!

>i'm thinking tab separated values so there is no comma or quote
>confusions...? or is there something even easier?

Tab is best.

>can i/should i put the field names at the top of the file? any other
>hints?

Yes.  It makes mapping the fields from the text file to FMP easier when doing an import.

Re: Proper/easy export format for import to filemaker db?

Doug Gentry
In addition to the good advice you've gotten already, consider having
the client install an OBDC (or is that ODBC?) driver for the Filemaker
DB from Actual Technologies:

http://www.actualtechnologies.com/product_opensourcedatabases.php

If you have MySQL on the Lasso end, then Filemaker can "dial" into the
database and import a table very easily.

...Doug

On Jun 9, 2008, at 5:16 PM, andre hopkins wrote:

> hi lassoers,
>
> wow has it been a long time since i worked with filemaker. does
> anyone have some quick suggestions/hints for formating an export
> from lasso to then be imported to filemaker?
>
> i'm going to do a standard file create and populate that file with
> some fields from a database search, and then email that file. i'm
> not on site with their filemaker application so i want to get this
> as close as i can before sending them stuff to try to import.
>
> i'm thinking tab separated values so there is no comma or quote
> confusions...? or is there something even easier?
>
> can i/should i put the field names at the top of the file? any other
> hints?
>
> (the filemaker database is local and will not be hooked up to the
> lasso server)
>
> many thanks in advance! andre

Doug Gentry
Dynapolis & Southern Oregon University
p:  541-261-8501 / Toll Free: 866-890-6013
[hidden email]
www.dynapolis.com - blog: www.plain-sense.com

Re: Proper/easy export format for import to filemaker db?

andre hopkins

>> i'm thinking tab separated values so there is no comma or quote
>> confusions...? or is there something even easier?
>
> Tab is best.
>
>> can i/should i put the field names at the top of the file? any other
>> hints?
>
> Yes.  It makes mapping the fields from the text file to FMP easier
> when doing an import.

cool - yeah that is what i thought i recalled - should they be in
quotes or just tab separated?

thx, andre

Re: Proper/easy export format for import to filemaker db?

stevepiercy
On Monday, June 9, 2008, [hidden email] (andre hopkins) pronounced:

>>> i'm thinking tab separated values so there is no comma or quote
>>> confusions...? or is there something even easier?
>>
>> Tab is best.
>>
>>> can i/should i put the field names at the top of the file? any other
>>> hints?
>>
>> Yes.  It makes mapping the fields from the text file to FMP easier
>> when doing an import.
>

>cool - yeah that is what i thought i recalled - should they be in
>quotes or just tab separated?

Just tab.

Doug also brought up another good option.

I have also started giving my clients OpenOffice Base documents that can connect to any JDBC compliant datasource.  Dunno if that would help in this situation.  It can do a simple JOIN, but AFAICT nothing much more sophisticated.  Version 3.0 looks much improved.