eclipse useful versions

Tim Taplin
Looking for suggestions of best Eclipse setup for web development.

Lasso, Html, Javascript, CSS code coloring and syntax management high
priorities. Would like to have some AJAX capabilities using one or
more of the common libraries as well as connectivity to version
management using subversion.

I'm using both Mac and Windows systems for development at different
times but I dont think that's an issue with eclipse.

One goal would be to pare down the amount of extra stuff on the
screen since I have no need of Perl or Java or C development.

Any thoughts helpful. Thanks in advance.

Tim Taplin

ps. would you think that lasso studio for eclipse would make the best
code coloring/syntax module? or are there other potentially better
options?

thx.

Re: eclipse useful versions

stevepiercy
I use the Web Tools Platform (WTP) for Eclipse.  It adds on a lot of stuff I don't need, but the time saved from hunting down plugins and making sure they are all compatible is worth the chaff.

http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/

It works just fine with Lasso Studio for Eclipse, which is just another plugin.

--steve

On Thursday, August 7, 2008, [hidden email] (Tim Taplin) pronounced:

>Looking for suggestions of best Eclipse setup for web development.
>
>Lasso, Html, Javascript, CSS code coloring and syntax management high
>priorities. Would like to have some AJAX capabilities using one or
>more of the common libraries as well as connectivity to version
>management using subversion.
>
>I'm using both Mac and Windows systems for development at different
>times but I dont think that's an issue with eclipse.
>
>One goal would be to pare down the amount of extra stuff on the
>screen since I have no need of Perl or Java or C development.
>
>Any thoughts helpful. Thanks in advance.
>

>Tim Taplin
>
>ps. would you think that lasso studio for eclipse would make the best
>code coloring/syntax module? or are there other potentially better
>options?
>
>thx.

Re: eclipse useful versions

jasonhuck
That's not a bad way to go, but if you want to get rid of some extra
(java) junk and have built-in support for popular javascript libraries
as you said, you should probably just use Aptana Studio:

http://www.aptana.com/studio

It's still Eclipse, so Lasso Studio will work just fine it, as will
any other Eclipse plugin.

For Subversion support, there are a couple options, but I prefer Subclipse:

http://subclipse.tigris.org/

- jason

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 6:50 PM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I use the Web Tools Platform (WTP) for Eclipse.  It adds on a lot of stuff I don't need, but the time saved from hunting down plugins and making sure they are all compatible is worth the chaff.
>
> http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/
>
> It works just fine with Lasso Studio for Eclipse, which is just another plugin.
>
> --steve
>

> On Thursday, August 7, 2008, [hidden email] (Tim Taplin) pronounced:
>
>>Looking for suggestions of best Eclipse setup for web development.
>>
>>Lasso, Html, Javascript, CSS code coloring and syntax management high
>>priorities. Would like to have some AJAX capabilities using one or
>>more of the common libraries as well as connectivity to version
>>management using subversion.
>>
>>I'm using both Mac and Windows systems for development at different
>>times but I dont think that's an issue with eclipse.
>>
>>One goal would be to pare down the amount of extra stuff on the
>>screen since I have no need of Perl or Java or C development.
>>
>>Any thoughts helpful. Thanks in advance.
>>

>>Tim Taplin
>>
>>ps. would you think that lasso studio for eclipse would make the best
>>code coloring/syntax module? or are there other potentially better
>>options?
>>
>>thx.
>>

> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
> <[hidden email]>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>

tagSwap.net :: Open Source Lasso Code
<http://tagSwap.net/>

Re: eclipse useful versions

stevepiercy
I thought that I would never program in Java, until last week...  ;)

I second Subclipse.

I've heard good things about Aptana, but I'm pretty much set in my ways with WTP.  So whichever package meets your needs, go for it.

There are several other packages available from the Eclipse web site, so if neither of these suggestions work for you, then there are more to choose from.  Or you can go a la carte and select just those components you want.

--steve

On Thursday, August 7, 2008, [hidden email] (Jason Huck) pronounced:

>That's not a bad way to go, but if you want to get rid of some extra
>(java) junk and have built-in support for popular javascript libraries
>as you said, you should probably just use Aptana Studio:
>
>http://www.aptana.com/studio
>
>It's still Eclipse, so Lasso Studio will work just fine it, as will
>any other Eclipse plugin.
>
>For Subversion support, there are a couple options, but I prefer Subclipse:
>
>http://subclipse.tigris.org/
>
>- jason
>

>On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 6:50 PM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I use the Web Tools Platform (WTP) for Eclipse.  It adds on a lot of stuff I don't
>need, but the time saved from hunting down plugins and making sure they are all
>compatible is worth the chaff.
>>
>> http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/
>>
>> It works just fine with Lasso Studio for Eclipse, which is just another plugin.
>>
>> --steve
>>

>> On Thursday, August 7, 2008, [hidden email] (Tim Taplin) pronounced:
>>
>>>Looking for suggestions of best Eclipse setup for web development.
>>>
>>>Lasso, Html, Javascript, CSS code coloring and syntax management high
>>>priorities. Would like to have some AJAX capabilities using one or
>>>more of the common libraries as well as connectivity to version
>>>management using subversion.
>>>
>>>I'm using both Mac and Windows systems for development at different
>>>times but I dont think that's an issue with eclipse.
>>>
>>>One goal would be to pare down the amount of extra stuff on the
>>>screen since I have no need of Perl or Java or C development.
>>>
>>>Any thoughts helpful. Thanks in advance.
>>>

>>>Tim Taplin
>>>
>>>ps. would you think that lasso studio for eclipse would make the best
>>>code coloring/syntax module? or are there other potentially better
>>>options?
>>>
>>>thx.
>>>

>> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
>> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
>> <[hidden email]>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>

>tagSwap.net :: Open Source Lasso Code
><http://tagSwap.net/>

Re: eclipse useful versions

Tim Taplin
yeah. last time I tried Eclipse out, I tried piecing it together and
wound up with a really clunky text editor that I had to manage files
separately and upload with Transmit. So I decided to ask some advice
before this round.

Tim Taplin

On Aug 7, 2008, at 5:36 PM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:

> I thought that I would never program in Java, until last week...  ;)
>
> I second Subclipse.
>
> I've heard good things about Aptana, but I'm pretty much set in my
> ways with WTP.  So whichever package meets your needs, go for it.
>
> There are several other packages available from the Eclipse web
> site, so if neither of these suggestions work for you, then there
> are more to choose from.  Or you can go a la carte and select just
> those components you want.
>
> --steve
>

> On Thursday, August 7, 2008, [hidden email] (Jason Huck)
> pronounced:
>
>> That's not a bad way to go, but if you want to get rid of some extra
>> (java) junk and have built-in support for popular javascript
>> libraries
>> as you said, you should probably just use Aptana Studio:
>>
>> http://www.aptana.com/studio
>>
>> It's still Eclipse, so Lasso Studio will work just fine it, as will
>> any other Eclipse plugin.
>>
>> For Subversion support, there are a couple options, but I prefer
>> Subclipse:
>>
>> http://subclipse.tigris.org/
>>
>> - jason
>>

>> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 6:50 PM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I use the Web Tools Platform (WTP) for Eclipse.  It adds on a lot
>>> of stuff I don't
>> need, but the time saved from hunting down plugins and making sure
>> they are all
>> compatible is worth the chaff.
>>>
>>> http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/
>>>
>>> It works just fine with Lasso Studio for Eclipse, which is just
>>> another plugin.
>>>
>>> --steve
>>>

>>> On Thursday, August 7, 2008, [hidden email] (Tim
>>> Taplin) pronounced:

>>> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
>>> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
>>> <[hidden email]>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>
>>>
>>> --
>>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

>> tagSwap.net :: Open Source Lasso Code
>> <http://tagSwap.net/>
>>

> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
> <[hidden email]>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>

Re: eclipse useful versions

Nikolaj de Fine Licht
Just wanted to second the Aptana-advice. I tried hard to get used to
Eclipse and eventually get along with it, then people here on this
list recommended Aptana and that is very fine for my use. For me it
works like Eclipse cut down to what I need.

/nikolaj

On 8. aug 2008, at 2:19, Tim Taplin wrote:

> yeah. last time I tried Eclipse out, I tried piecing it together and
> wound up with a really clunky text editor that I had to manage files
> separately and upload with Transmit. So I decided to ask some advice
> before this round.

Re: eclipse useful versions

Eric Landmann
Jason Huck <[hidden email]> wrote on Thursday, August 7, 2008:

>That's not a bad way to go, but if you want to get rid of some extra
>(java) junk and have built-in support for popular javascript libraries
>as you said, you should probably just use Aptana Studio:
>
>http://www.aptana.com/studio
>
>It's still Eclipse, so Lasso Studio will work just fine it, as will
>any other Eclipse plugin.
>
>For Subversion support, there are a couple options, but I prefer Subclipse:
>
>http://subclipse.tigris.org/

What he said, another vote here. But I must say that I still use BBEdit for the majority of editing. It just can't be beat for its speed and feature set.

Subclipse is excellent, definitely use that.

--Eric

Re: eclipse useful versions

Tim Taplin
any other options for lasso syntax coloring support?  in Aptana?

Looks good but throws lots of mistaken errors with my ajax/lasso mix.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Tim Taplin

On Aug 8, 2008, at 7:24 AM, Eric Landmann wrote:

> Jason Huck <[hidden email]> wrote on Thursday, August 7, 2008:
>
>> That's not a bad way to go, but if you want to get rid of some extra
>> (java) junk and have built-in support for popular javascript
>> libraries
>> as you said, you should probably just use Aptana Studio:
>>
>> http://www.aptana.com/studio
>>
>> It's still Eclipse, so Lasso Studio will work just fine it, as will
>> any other Eclipse plugin.
>>
>> For Subversion support, there are a couple options, but I prefer
>> Subclipse:
>>
>> http://subclipse.tigris.org/
>
> What he said, another vote here. But I must say that I still use
> BBEdit for the majority of editing. It just can't be beat for its
> speed and feature set.
>
> Subclipse is excellent, definitely use that.
>
> --Eric

Re: eclipse useful versions

Nikolaj de Fine Licht
Does it really! Can you give an example...? I also make extensive use
of Lasso/AJAX-mix with Aptana and I don't get any errors.

/nikolaj

On 8. aug 2008, at 16:57, Tim Taplin wrote:

> any other options for lasso syntax coloring support?  in Aptana?
>
> Looks good but throws lots of mistaken errors with my ajax/lasso mix.

Re: eclipse useful versions

Tim Taplin
javascript function call...

        thisFunction('[#localvar]');

shows the # sign as an invalid symbol

On Aug 8, 2008, at 9:45 AM, Nikolaj de Fine Licht wrote:

> Does it really! Can you give an example...? I also make extensive
> use of Lasso/AJAX-mix with Aptana and I don't get any errors.
>
> /nikolaj
>
> On 8. aug 2008, at 16:57, Tim Taplin wrote:
>
>> any other options for lasso syntax coloring support?  in Aptana?
>>
>> Looks good but throws lots of mistaken errors with my ajax/lasso mix.

Re: eclipse useful versions

Nikolaj de Fine Licht
Ah yes, thats a showstopper then. I guess I don't run into that
because I either generate the whole Javascript with Lassoscript, or I
send Lasso vars to external Javascript files as params.

I don't have a workaround for that - its probably about fiddling with
Aptanas debug module, maybe there is setting...

/nikolaj

On 8. aug 2008, at 19:40, Tim Taplin wrote:

> javascript function call...
>
> thisFunction('[#localvar]');
>
> shows the # sign as an invalid symbol

Re: eclipse useful versions

Fletcher Sandbeck-3
On 8/8/08 at 11:40 AM, [hidden email] (Tim Taplin) wrote:

> javascript function call...
>
>   thisFunction('[#localvar]');
>
> shows the # sign as an invalid symbol

You could use the [Local] tag.  It will look more like valid JavaScript.

thisFunction('[local('localvar')]');

LassoSoft, LLC                          http://www.lassosoft.com