death by httpd

Steve Upton

Hi All,

This morning one of our web servers (OS X 10.4, Lasso 8.5.5, Apache 1.x) choked on over 500 httpd processes. I couldn't kill them no matter what I tried, no pages were being served and I couldn't soft-reboot the machine.

Finally a power cycle cleared things up.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Any idea what might cause it or how it can be detected / guarded against?

thanks!

Steve

Re: death by httpd

Bil Corry-3
Steve Upton wrote on 11/26/2008 1:29 PM:
> Has anyone else seen this problem? Any idea what might cause it or how it can be detected / guarded against?

What do the various Apache logs show?

Re: death by httpd

Steve Upton
At 1:41 PM -0600 11/26/08, Bil Corry wrote:
>Steve Upton wrote on 11/26/2008 1:29 PM:
>> Has anyone else seen this problem? Any idea what might cause it or how it can be detected / guarded against?
>
>What do the various Apache logs show?

good question.... any one in particular I should at?

Steve

Re: death by httpd

Bil Corry-3
Steve Upton wrote on 11/26/2008 2:05 PM:
> At 1:41 PM -0600 11/26/08, Bil Corry wrote:
>> Steve Upton wrote on 11/26/2008 1:29 PM:
>>> Has anyone else seen this problem? Any idea what might cause it or how it can be detected / guarded against?
>> What do the various Apache logs show?
>
> good question.... any one in particular I should at?

Error_log and Access_log to start.

Re: death by httpd

Tim Taplin
I'm experiencing something similar. If I catch it early enough, I can
ssh and kill processes and restart apache and lasso which gets things
going again. Error log shows thousands of "child process xxxx still
did not exit, sending a SIGTERM".  reinstalled apache and lasso and a
day later same thing. Haven't come up with a solution yet. right now
cron is periodically restarting both apache and lasso services.
Getting ready to move all sites from that server to another one in
case there's a disk problem.

I know this isn't helpful but at least you know that the problem
exists elsewhere.

Tim Taplin