close browser logout

afshad dinshaw
  How do I call my logout.lasso page whenever someone closes the
window? anyone know?
I want the client to be logged out whenever he closes the window.

Thanks

Afshad E. Dinshaw
Research Assistant II
Virtual Technology Center
University of Houston
SR1 Room: 204
email: [hidden email]
Phone: 713-743-7741

Re: close browser logout

Alan Linnenbank
You'le have to use javascript somthing with onClose()

But you cant be shure it will work though because it is client side. On the other hand you can set you're session expiration time short if you use sessions that is.

Alan Linnenbank

On donderdag, 16 juni 2005 20:55, afshad dinshaw <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  How do I call my logout.lasso page whenever someone closes the
>window? anyone know?
>I want the client to be logged out whenever he closes the
>window.
>

>Thanks
>
>Afshad E. Dinshaw
>Research Assistant II
>Virtual Technology Center
>University of Houston
>SR1 Room: 204
>email: [hidden email]
>Phone: 713-743-7741

Re: close browser logout

John Vollmer
How about calling a javascript function onUnload?  The JS function could do
an asynchronous XMLHttpRequest call to your logout lasso page.

I haven't ever tried this...  May not do the trick.

John

On 6/16/05 11:55 AM, "afshad dinshaw" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>   How do I call my logout.lasso page whenever someone closes the
> window? anyone know?
> I want the client to be logged out whenever he closes the window.
>

> Thanks
>
> Afshad E. Dinshaw
> Research Assistant II
> Virtual Technology Center
> University of Houston
> SR1 Room: 204
> email: [hidden email]
> Phone: 713-743-7741

Re: close browser logout

afshad dinshaw
well i tried onunload but it only works with IE and not others.
I have been to american express.com and hotmail and yahoo and they
all seem to have it working fine. but from the view source i cant
tell how they got it to work. cant find a good working solution on
the internet either.

Afshad E. Dinshaw
Research Assistant II
Virtual Technology Center
University of Houston
SR1 Room: 204
email: [hidden email]
Phone: 713-743-7741

On Jun 16, 2005, at 2:04 PM, Alan Linnenbank wrote:

> You'le have to use javascript somthing with onClose()
>
> But you cant be shure it will work though because it is client
> side. On the other hand you can set you're session expiration time
> short if you use sessions that is.
>
> Alan Linnenbank
>
> On donderdag, 16 juni 2005 20:55, afshad dinshaw
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>  How do I call my logout.lasso page whenever someone closes the
>> window? anyone know?
>> I want the client to be logged out whenever he closes the
>> window.
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Afshad E. Dinshaw
>> Research Assistant II
>> Virtual Technology Center
>> University of Houston
>> SR1 Room: 204
>> email: [hidden email]
>> Phone: 713-743-7741

Re: close browser logout

Johan Solve
On 6/16/05, afshad dinshaw <[hidden email]> wrote:
> well i tried onunload but it only works with IE and not others.
> I have been to american express.com and hotmail and yahoo and they
> all seem to have it working fine. but from the view source i cant
> tell how they got it to work. cant find a good working solution on
> the internet either.

You could use a self-refreshing iframe or XMLHttpRequest that
"tickles" a short lived session, say every 30 seconds. If the window
is closed, the tickle stops and the session times out soon after (the
session could have a 1 minute expiration which is the shortest
possible session lifetime).

--
     Johan Sölve    [FSA Partner, Lasso Partner]
     Web Application/Lasso/FileMaker Developer

Re: close browser logout

afshad dinshaw
Hi Johan,
This tickle thing how do I do that on my page? In a javascript loop
like:

while(1) {
     loadXMLDoc("/vhome/Login_Tickle.lasso?idv="+idv);
     setTimeout("", 10000);
}

How do I accomplish this? I a separate thread in Javascript or
something cause if i do this then the page gets stuck. Also If i do
the 30 second thing then what if the person launches a new window
within 30 seconds it would not really log the user out then.
I have seen most major sites like american express and hot mail and
yahoo and others be able to log the person out when they close the
window.