Quantcast

client_headers question

James Sheffer
Hello all-

We are having strange problems when posting an order to the iTransact gateway and I’m trying to record information from the client headers to get some more information.

Specifics:
Mac client as server (10.6.8)
Lasso 8.5
Apache 2.x running virtual hosts

Specifically, I’m trying to break out the client IP address, client browser and OS type being used.

I already record the IP address with the client_ip tag.

Using the client_browser tag, I get the following:

Mac:
client Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_11_6) AppleWebKit/601.7.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.1.2 Safari/601.7.7

Windows Edge (using Parallels on a mac):
client Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/46.0.2486.0 Safari/537.36 Edge/13.10586

My questions:

1. Is there a way to just trap the client browser name and another to just trap for the operating system?
Obviously, I can gleam this info from the client_browser tag but it would be cleaner if I just got the specific information rather all in one string.  Not a big deal if I can’t, just easier and cleaner if I could…

2. Why( especially on the Edge values returned - I’m assuming this is because I’m using Parallels on a Mac?) does it also list Chrome and Safari in the client headers?

Here is the scenario just in case anyone has some other suggestions, tips or experience with this happening:

When an order is placed, I trap for the “authcode” value being returned to check if the transaction has been approved or not.  If approved, I add the returned information to the “orders" table; If not, I add it to a “failed orders” table.

What I’m seeing (based on timestamps) is I’m getting about 3 failed attempts, about 1 minute apart, from the gateway with an error stating that “This is a duplicate transaction”.  Then, on rare occasions, again about 1 minute later, I get an approved “authcode” for the same order!

Usually what happens is I only get the failed responses and the order never makes it to the orders table.  iTransact, on the other hand, is charging the customer 3 times!

I’m working with them to see what they can find on the problem.  In iTransact, the setting for not accepting duplicate orders is checked so this should not happen on their end.  On my end, I have the “submit order” button set (via Javascript) to not allow duplicate submissions (the button is disabled after the first attempt).

This is an older solution that we recently released a new version for.  The post code for iTransact has not changed in several years and remains the same; only the problem is new.

James Sheffer

Email: [hidden email]
Phone: 469-256-0268
Web: www.higherpowered.com

Re: client_headers question

Marc Pinnell-3
James,

On the browser issue have you tried this: http://www.lassosoft.com/tagswap/detail/lp_client_browser

Marc

On Sep 26, 2016, at 7:53 AM, James Sheffer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all-
>
> We are having strange problems when posting an order to the iTransact gateway and I’m trying to record information from the client headers to get some more information.
>
> Specifics:
> Mac client as server (10.6.8)
> Lasso 8.5
> Apache 2.x running virtual hosts
>
> Specifically, I’m trying to break out the client IP address, client browser and OS type being used.
>
> I already record the IP address with the client_ip tag.
>
> Using the client_browser tag, I get the following:
>
> Mac:
> client Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_11_6) AppleWebKit/601.7.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.1.2 Safari/601.7.7
>
> Windows Edge (using Parallels on a mac):
> client Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/46.0.2486.0 Safari/537.36 Edge/13.10586
>
> My questions:
>
> 1. Is there a way to just trap the client browser name and another to just trap for the operating system?
> Obviously, I can gleam this info from the client_browser tag but it would be cleaner if I just got the specific information rather all in one string.  Not a big deal if I can’t, just easier and cleaner if I could…
>
> 2. Why( especially on the Edge values returned - I’m assuming this is because I’m using Parallels on a Mac?) does it also list Chrome and Safari in the client headers?
>

> Here is the scenario just in case anyone has some other suggestions, tips or experience with this happening:
>
> When an order is placed, I trap for the “authcode” value being returned to check if the transaction has been approved or not.  If approved, I add the returned information to the “orders" table; If not, I add it to a “failed orders” table.
>
> What I’m seeing (based on timestamps) is I’m getting about 3 failed attempts, about 1 minute apart, from the gateway with an error stating that “This is a duplicate transaction”.  Then, on rare occasions, again about 1 minute later, I get an approved “authcode” for the same order!
>
> Usually what happens is I only get the failed responses and the order never makes it to the orders table.  iTransact, on the other hand, is charging the customer 3 times!
>
> I’m working with them to see what they can find on the problem.  In iTransact, the setting for not accepting duplicate orders is checked so this should not happen on their end.  On my end, I have the “submit order” button set (via Javascript) to not allow duplicate submissions (the button is disabled after the first attempt).
>
> This is an older solution that we recently released a new version for.  The post code for iTransact has not changed in several years and remains the same; only the problem is new.
>

> James Sheffer
>
> Email: [hidden email]
> Phone: 469-256-0268
> Web: www.higherpowered.com

====================
Marc Pinnell
Director of Web Services
[hidden email]
www.shasta.com
833 Mistletoe Lane, Suite A1
Redding, CA  96002
530-224-6866  Ext. 100
530-224-2035 Fax

Re: client_headers question

Bil Corry-3
Parsing the user agent string is more art than science, but the tag Marc
posted is something I created which can help (but it hasn't been updated in
a long time, so you may need to tweak it a bit to account for modern
devices).

As to why you'll see Chrome and Safari in the UA string for MS Edge, that's
because many sites sniff the user agent to serve browser-specific code, and
Edge is far more compatible with Chrome and Safari than with Explorer, so
Microsoft wanted Edge to be grouped in with Chrome and Safari.  BTW,
sniffing the user agent to serve browser-specific code is not the right
approach.

Something to try for your order system is putting a handler on the order
button that disables the button once it's been clicked the first time.
Some people, my wife included, will double- and triple-click a button which
then sends multiple requests (and creates multiple orders).  Another
thought is they hit the back button, which perhaps resubmits the order.
You can try catching duplicate orders on the server-side by doing something
like the following:

1. Create a pre-order table in your database for this transaction with a
field "ordertoken" that is NULL by default (or use the shopping cart table).
2. The user has clicked "buy" and we're now on the order process page
3. Create a random token (GUID works)
4. Do a SQL query on the pre-orders table, something like UPDATE preorder
SET ordertoken = <random token value> WHERE preorderID = <preorder ID of
this order> AND ordertoken IS NOT NULL
5. Do a second SQL query: SELECT ordertoken FROM preorder WHERE preorderID
= <preorder ID of this order> AND ordertoken = <random token value>
6. If step #5 returns a row, then this is the first order received, and
send it on to your processor to process normally.
7. If step #5 returns no row, then this is where someone clicked the order
button more than once, and instead of sending payment information to the
processor, instead lookup the status of this preorder as if it was the
first request made.

Hopefully the above made sense, let me know if you have questions.

- Bil

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 8:22 AM, Marc Pinnell <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> never makes it to the orders table.  iTransact, on the other hand, is
> charging the customer 3 times!
> >
> > I’m working with them to see what they can find on the problem.  In
> iTransact, the setting for not accepting duplicate orders is checked so
> this should not happen on their end.  On my end, I have the “submit order”
> button set (via Javascript) to not allow duplicate submissions (the button
> is disabled after the first attempt).
> >
> > This is an older solution that we recently released a new version for.
> The post code for iTransact has not changed in several years and remains
> the same; only the problem is new.
> >

> > James Sheffer
> >
> > Email: [hidden email]
> > Phone: 469-256-0268
> > Web: www.higherpowered.com

> > Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

Re: client_headers question

stevepiercy
On 9/26/16 at 10:09 AM, [hidden email] (Bil Corry) pronounced:

>Something to try for your order system is putting a handler on the order
>button that disables the button once it's been clicked the first time.
>Some people, my wife included, will double- and triple-click a button which
>then sends multiple requests (and creates multiple orders).  Another
>thought is they hit the back button, which perhaps resubmits the order.
>You can try catching duplicate orders on the server-side by doing something
>like the following:
>
>1. Create a pre-order table in your database for this transaction with a
>field "ordertoken" that is NULL by default (or use the shopping cart table).
>2. The user has clicked "buy" and we're now on the order process page
>3. Create a random token (GUID works)
>4. Do a SQL query on the pre-orders table, something like UPDATE preorder
>SET ordertoken = <random token value> WHERE preorderID = <preorder ID of
>this order> AND ordertoken IS NOT NULL
>5. Do a second SQL query: SELECT ordertoken FROM preorder WHERE preorderID
>= <preorder ID of this order> AND ordertoken = <random token value>
>6. If step #5 returns a row, then this is the first order received, and
>send it on to your processor to process normally.
>7. If step #5 returns no row, then this is where someone clicked the order
>button more than once, and instead of sending payment information to the
>processor, instead lookup the status of this preorder as if it was the
>first request made.

A few payment processors, including Square, now provide an HTML
form and a JavaScript that generates a nonce (the random token
mentioned by Bil).  When submitted, Square uses the nonce to
take care of all the above.

Additionally credit card numbers never pass through my server,
but go directly to Square, so I don't have to deal with PCI compliance.

You can see it in action here on Step 2 of 2.  And if you feel
like donating to the campaign, I won't mind.  :)
https://wideningwontwork.org/donate

--steve

p.s. -- The State of California Fair Political Practices
Committee requires that political campaigns must store credit
card numbers of all transactions.  I am *not* making this up.
Needless to say, I'm in a lengthy and ongoing discussion to
educate the attorney about industry best practice, and hopefully
they will adapt the current law to conform with PCI DSS.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Steve Piercy              Website Builder              Soquel, CA
<[hidden email]>               <http://www.stevepiercy.com/>

Re: client_headers question

Marc Vos-3
Now that you mention it, I work with a recent version - I maintain it myself.
I’ve added Edge.

Tested with Edge, Chrome, FF, Opera on WIN10
Tested with Safari, Chrome, FF, Opera on MacOS 10.11

Link: http://www.lassosoft.com/tagswap/detail/lp_client_browser%20for%20L9

- -
Met vriendelijke groet,
Marc Vos

http://marc.vos.net/
http://nl.linkedin.com/in/mhevos

> [...]
>>
>> I’m working with them to see what they can find on the problem.  In iTransact, the setting for not accepting duplicate orders is checked so this should not happen on their end.  On my end, I have the “submit order” button set (via Javascript) to not allow duplicate submissions (the button is disabled after the first attempt).
>>
>> This is an older solution that we recently released a new version for.  The post code for iTransact has not changed in several years and remains the same; only the problem is new.
>>

>> James Sheffer
>>
>> Email: [hidden email]
>> Phone: 469-256-0268
>> Web: www.higherpowered.com

>> Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

Re: client_headers question

James Sheffer
Thank you everyone for the information.  I just got back in town today and will be working on this now.

lp_client_browser - Thank you Bill and Marc- Something I had completely forgotten about.  I’ve used this tag in the past and believe I even have it in the Lass startup folder (I need to check)!

The order button currently has a handler (javascript) to disable the button once it is clicked the first time and it is working correctly.

The order token idea sounds good but I’m not sure it will help (If I understand what you wrote correctly).  The problem is that the gateway is processing the order (charging the customer), usually 3 times but I’m not getting an order approval back.  In almost all of the cases, all I’m getting back from the gateway is an error stating that the order is a duplicate - I’m not getting the initial approval, which would make this a much simpler issue to track down!

Come to think of it, though, I will implement something similar after all.  This way, I might at least be able to see if the order is being sent multiple times from the server by some means.  It still won’t account for not getting an approval code back but it is a start…

Steve - I like the idea of sending a random token along with the order information.  The other strange part is that the gateway is set to NOT allow duplicate orders but they seem to be doing so anyways!

I’ve also found something else.  The gateway sends an email when there is an error in the order process.  In this case, I am getting emails showing that a particular variable (sent with the order info and returned by the processor so I know what client the order belongs to) is not being returned.  In the email, they are sending the HTMP contents of the page and it is showing a Lasso error page (I need to fix this) stating that “Page variable xxx not found”. I’m not quite sure what to make of this unless a new connection is being opened from the Gateway to our servers with no order information.  I see no reason that order information would be sent without this variable and no reason that this variable could be sent empty (the customer could not get to the order page without this variable being set.  I think my next step here is to record what is being sent by the processor when this happens before I try to process the returned information (and empty variable).

I’ll post wha tI find…

James Sheffer

Web Design & Development
www.higherpowered.com
phone:  469-256-0268
"We help businesses succeed on the web!"