bulk email

charles brisson
Hi,
Is there a way to send thousands of emails at once using Lasso? I am
expecting a negative answer on that one; what add-on or plug-in or third
party solution could do the trick? The emails need to go at once, one
hour delay is not acceptable. I`ve thought about mailing lists but I
fear that I will end up with a couple of hundreds lists to manage.

thankful for any tip!

charles

Re: bulk email

Bil Corry-3
charles brisson wrote:
> Is there a way to send thousands of emails at once using Lasso? I am
> expecting a negative answer on that one; what add-on or plug-in or third
> party solution could do the trick? The emails need to go at once, one
> hour delay is not acceptable. I`ve thought about mailing lists but I
> fear that I will end up with a couple of hundreds lists to manage.

Lasso now has some tools to send emails faster, however, I don't think Lasso (nor any tool) can push out thousands of emails in a matter of minutes using a single server connected via broadband (making an assumption about your setup).  You'd be better off using a bulk-mail service that has a server farm connected to the backbone.  Can't recommend any since I haven't ever used one before.

Re: bulk email

Mark Palmer
One thing I have noticed when sending out bulk email, from you own
server, of 8-20,000 messages, is that some ISP's will only allow you
a limited number of connections. They 'll take say 50 connections and
then it seems you have to wait for some kind of time limit to expire
before you can get another connection. I guess they have IP lists
that allow other large ISP's to get more connections to ensure the
smooth flow of spam, sorry email, between the big boys..

So even if I could get Lasso to generate the emails in a matter of
minutes, I cant get them delivered.

So Bil's suggestion many be the only way - ie someone with multiple
servers maybe across many networks. Then the risk I guess, is that
someone who sends out bulk email for a living will get onto the spam
blacklists.

One thing I have not been in a position to try is to build a batch of
emails, all to users at the same IP ie btconnect.com, and put them
into a recipients list to form one email with many recipients. This
is because the body of my email is personalised.

On 24 Aug 2006, at 04:16, Bil Corry wrote:

> charles brisson wrote:
>> Is there a way to send thousands of emails at once using Lasso? I
>> am expecting a negative answer on that one; what add-on or plug-in
>> or third party solution could do the trick? The emails need to go
>> at once, one hour delay is not acceptable. I`ve thought about
>> mailing lists but I fear that I will end up with a couple of
>> hundreds lists to manage.
>
> Lasso now has some tools to send emails faster, however, I don't
> think Lasso (nor any tool) can push out thousands of emails in a
> matter of minutes using a single server connected via broadband
> (making an assumption about your setup).  You'd be better off using
> a bulk-mail service that has a server farm connected to the
> backbone.  Can't recommend any since I haven't ever used one before.
>

> - Bil

Regards

Mark Palmer
E: [hidden email]
T: 01902 620500
W: www.pageworks.co.uk

Re: bulk email

Andreas Steinmann
The mails sent by Lasso will be handled by your mailserver - which
could be placed at your ISP or right besides your webserver. Lasso
will pass the mails to your mailserver very quickly. And than the
mailserver will handle all the mails, take care of delays, resends
etc.
If you use the mailserver of your ISP, they can answer your questions
about restrictions.
If the mailserver is standing right next to you webserver, there
should not be so many restrictions depending on the connection you
use.
Our mailserver would handle 5.000-6.000 pr. sec. however, I've never
sendt more than appr. 3.700 at the same time.
One of our customers sent 900 mails from a lassosearchpage the other
day. The page is mailing the mail to him first, than cycling through
the records passing the mails to the mailserver and finaly sending
him a list of all mails sent. It took 15 sec from receiving the first
to receiving the second mail. That would be lesser than the
mailserver can handle: like 3.500 pr. minute (lasso 7).

Andreas

>Hi,
>Is there a way to send thousands of emails at once using Lasso? I am
>expecting a negative answer on that one; what add-on or plug-in or
>third party solution could do the trick? The emails need to go at
>once, one hour delay is not acceptable. I`ve thought about mailing
>lists but I fear that I will end up with a couple of hundreds lists
>to manage.
>
>thankful for any tip!
>
>charles

  N A T F I L M    F E S T I V A L
  --------------------------------
  St. Kannikestr. 6
  DK-1169 Copenhagen K     Denmark
  Tel.  +45 3312 0005
  Mobil +45 2811 7505
  Fax   +45 3312 7505

Re: bulk email

Doug Noble
On 8/23/06 9:05 PM, "charles brisson" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> Is there a way to send thousands of emails at once using Lasso? I am
> expecting a negative answer on that one; what add-on or plug-in or third
> party solution could do the trick? The emails need to go at once, one
> hour delay is not acceptable. I`ve thought about mailing lists but I
> fear that I will end up with a couple of hundreds lists to manage.

Charles, you might look at maxbulkmailer http://maxprog.com/MaxBulk.html
available for Mac and Windows,  which sends email pretty fast and can import
data from Filemaker. You can use it to customize each email with fields from
your database. Each email is sent individually which gets around ISPs who
restrict the number of recipients for any one email.

--
Doug Noble