Where is Fletcher Sandbeck?

Mark Levin
Is Lassosoft now just Kyle Jessup and Kerry Adams;  the last post to
this list from Fletcher Sandbeck appears to have occurred over 8
months ago?

---
Mark Levin, RealTrack Inc.
Tel 416.962.9033 Toll Free  877.962.9033
Fax 877.962.2211 Email  [hidden email]
Web  http://www.realtrack.com

Re: Where is Fletcher Sandbeck?

Kevin Bice
Maybe, if we watch the Cumuli web cam at http://www.cumuli.com/webcam/index.htm, we might see him.
Kevin Bice
512-879-1653
http://fmpweb.com
Web Development and Design

On Aug 5, 2010, at 7:56 AM, Mark Levin wrote:

> Is Lassosoft now just Kyle Jessup and Kerry Adams;  the last post to this list from Fletcher Sandbeck appears to have occurred over 8 months ago?
>
> ---
> Mark Levin, RealTrack Inc.
> Tel 416.962.9033 Toll Free  877.962.9033
> Fax 877.962.2211 Email  [hidden email]
> Web  http://www.realtrack.com

> Is Lassosoft now just Kyle Jessup and Kerry Adams;  the last post to this list from Fletcher Sandbeck appears to have occurred over 8 months ago?

Re: Where is Fletcher Sandbeck?

Rick Draper-2
Hi Mark,

Fletcher not being visibly involved with LassoSoft due to personal circumstances is unfortunate for the community, but I suspect no where near as difficult as it is for him.  I am afraid that I can't agree that there has been no visible progress since January - yes, there are still many areas needing attention, but there have been things to acknowledge.

- Tangible performance improvements in Lasso 9 (Ke's test results posted recently)
- Commitment to release 8.7 as a maintenance/transitional product (for those that don't want to take the 9 step)
- Documentation enhancement wiki

We were in a decision making process regarding the adoption of 9 on a major new project and after considering all the factors have elected to go forward with Lasso 9 on Linux (we are a Windows operation).  I know there are many complaints, but a lot of this is a simple misunderstanding about what needs to be re-written in moving from 8.5 to 9... if you have a lot of 3.6.* legacy code, well there will be issues.  But if you have been writing code that is not reliant of Lasso 8.5's ability to ignore what should probably be reported by the software as errors, then you are going to be able to benefit from the extraordinary work that Kyle has done with Lasso 9.

Anyway, that's my take and for what  it's worth, we are making this substantial investment decision based on actually taking the step of testing and working with Lasso 9.

Very best regards,

Rick

On 08/08/2010, at 6:24 AM, Mark Levin wrote:

> Wasn't Fletcher the guy who wrote, or was responsible for, much of the 8.5
> documentation? Given a lack of visible progress since Lasso 9 was released
> back in January, no updates, no additional documentation, and the apparent
> loss of an important member of the Lasso team, I am very concerned that
> Lassosoft does not have sufficient resources to complete and support Lasso 9
> going forward. I really hope I'm wrong, but my patience has run out.
>

> Kevin Bice wrote:
>>
>> Maybe, if we watch the Cumuli web cam at
>> http://www.cumuli.com/webcam/index.htm, we might see him.
>> Kevin Bice
>> 512-879-1653
>> http://fmpweb.com
>> Web Development and Design
>>
>> On Aug 5, 2010, at 7:56 AM, Mark Levin wrote:
>>
>>> Is Lassosoft now just Kyle Jessup and Kerry Adams;  the last post to this
>>> list from Fletcher Sandbeck appears to have occurred over 8 months ago?

Re: Where is Fletcher Sandbeck?

stevepiercy
I noticed this on the LS site the other day.
http://store.lassosoft.com/

Lasso Studio:Aptana (coming soon)

Fletcher's title is Director of Development for Lasso Studio.
Not sure when that was put on the site, but perhaps it is a sign
of Fletcher's activity.

--steve

On 8/8/10 at 8:56 AM, [hidden email] (Mr Rick
Draper) pronounced:

>Hi Mark,
>
>Fletcher not being visibly involved with LassoSoft due to
>personal circumstances is unfortunate for the community, but I
>suspect no where near as difficult as it is for him.  I am
>afraid that I can't agree that there has been no visible
>progress since January - yes, there are still many areas
>needing attention, but there have been things to acknowledge.
>
>- Tangible performance improvements in Lasso 9 (Ke's test results posted recently)
>- Commitment to release 8.7 as a maintenance/transitional
>product (for those that don't want to take the 9 step)
>- Documentation enhancement wiki
>
>We were in a decision making process regarding the adoption of
>9 on a major new project and after considering all the factors
>have elected to go forward with Lasso 9 on Linux (we are a
>Windows operation).  I know there are many complaints, but a
>lot of this is a simple misunderstanding about what needs to be
>re-written in moving from 8.5 to 9... if you have a lot of
>3.6.* legacy code, well there will be issues.  But if you have
>been writing code that is not reliant of Lasso 8.5's ability to
>ignore what should probably be reported by the software as
>errors, then you are going to be able to benefit from the
>extraordinary work that Kyle has done with Lasso 9.
>
>Anyway, that's my take and for what  it's worth, we are making
>this substantial investment decision based on actually taking
>the step of testing and working with Lasso 9.
>
>Very best regards,
>
>Rick
>

>On 08/08/2010, at 6:24 AM, Mark Levin wrote:
>

>>Wasn't Fletcher the guy who wrote, or was responsible for, much of the 8.5
>>documentation? Given a lack of visible progress since Lasso 9 was released
>>back in January, no updates, no additional documentation, and the apparent
>>loss of an important member of the Lasso team, I am very concerned that
>>Lassosoft does not have sufficient resources to complete and support Lasso 9
>>going forward. I really hope I'm wrong, but my patience has run out.
>>

>>Kevin Bice wrote:
>>>   Maybe, if we watch the Cumuli web cam at
>>>  http://www.cumuli.com/webcam/index.htm, we might see him.   .................................
>>> Kevin Bice
>>> 512-879-1653
>>> http://fmpweb.com
>>> Web Development and Design

>--
>This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

-- --
Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder
Soquel, CA

Re: Where is Fletcher Sandbeck?

Mark Levin
Rick - sorry, I did not mean to imply that Lasso 9, when it's completed, will not be a significant advancement from 8.5 but there appears to have been no progress made by *Lassosoft* since January, specifically:

- the version of Lasso available for download is still at 9.0.0

- Lassosoft's official documentation, http://docs9.lassosoft.com/Lasso%209%20Server/index.lasso has not been changed at all since January;

While it's great that the community is assisting with a wiki as a stopgap, in my opinion this is not a substitute for proper formal documentation.

I was unaware that Fletcher has been sidelined by personal circumstances as there has been no communication, at least as far as I am aware, by Lassosoft.

Mr Rick Draper wrote
Hi Mark,

Fletcher not being visibly involved with LassoSoft due to personal circumstances is unfortunate for the community, but I suspect no where near as difficult as it is for him.  I am afraid that I can't agree that there has been no visible progress since January - yes, there are still many areas needing attention, but there have been things to acknowledge.

- Tangible performance improvements in Lasso 9 (Ke's test results posted recently)
- Commitment to release 8.7 as a maintenance/transitional product (for those that don't want to take the 9 step)
- Documentation enhancement wiki

We were in a decision making process regarding the adoption of 9 on a major new project and after considering all the factors have elected to go forward with Lasso 9 on Linux (we are a Windows operation).  I know there are many complaints, but a lot of this is a simple misunderstanding about what needs to be re-written in moving from 8.5 to 9... if you have a lot of 3.6.* legacy code, well there will be issues.  But if you have been writing code that is not reliant of Lasso 8.5's ability to ignore what should probably be reported by the software as errors, then you are going to be able to benefit from the extraordinary work that Kyle has done with Lasso 9.

Anyway, that's my take and for what  it's worth, we are making this substantial investment decision based on actually taking the step of testing and working with Lasso 9.

Very best regards,

Rick

On 08/08/2010, at 6:24 AM, Mark Levin wrote:

>  Wasn't Fletcher the guy who wrote, or was responsible for, much of the 8.5
> documentation? Given a lack of visible progress since Lasso 9 was released
> back in January, no updates, no additional documentation, and the apparent
> loss of an important member of the Lasso team, I am very concerned that
> Lassosoft does not have sufficient resources to complete and support Lasso 9
> going forward. I really hope I'm wrong, but my patience has run out.

Re: Where is Fletcher Sandbeck?

FWIW, updates to L9 are more frequently discussed on the
lasso9beta list than LassoTalk, and can be monitored through
Subversion or by visiting its repo.

http://download.lassosoft.com/svn/lasso/lasso9_beta/

The most recent update was within the last week or so.

--steve

On 8/7/10 at 5:57 PM, [hidden email] (Mark Levin) pronounced: