WebSTAR 5.3.3 and Lasso on Mac OS 10.3 and up - File Permissions tip

WebSTAR 5.3.3 and Lasso on Mac OS 10.3 and up - File Permissions tip

Michael Coninx
Hello List,

This week I have been struggling with reinstalling WebStar and Lasso on
a clean formatted harddrive.
The installation itself went smooth, but getting Lasso and WebStar work
together, was not so easy.

All problems came back to the same problem, permissions stuff.
This problem is also discussed in this FAQ

http://www.omnipilot.com/index.html?section=Products/Lasso/Support/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions&id=7613

It is necessary to change the "group" permissions of the 4DWebSTAR
folder to "staff" (and all included files and folders)
    sudo chgrp -R staff /Applications/4DWebSTAR

and you could also change the "other" permissions to read and execute.
    sudo chmod o+rx /Applications/4DWebSTAR

Doing all that can't garantee that Lasso and WebStar will be able to
read/write files or folders
in all circumstances. This all works fine as long as you write files in
folders with the correct permissions.
However, if you have a solution where lasso creates a folder, and then
writes files into that folder, WebSTAR
can't retrieve those files included in the folder - although Lasso has
created them successfully.

When Lasso creates a folder, the owner is set to lasso, the group stays
the same and the other permissions
change to Read Only (no write, no execute privilege).
So you get e.g.
/Folder       Owner   Group   Rights
foldername   lasso   staff   rwx rwx r--
/
WebStar can no longer access the files in this folder...
The only solution I can think of, is make the webstar user a member of
the "staff" group.
How to accomplish that?

First you need to enable the root user (this can be done with the
NetInfo Manager - located in the /Applications/Utilities folder)
Select "Enable Root User" in the Security menu. First authenticate as an
Administrator.

Open the Terminal Application, and login as the root user. (I haven't
checked if the command below can be given with sudo?)
Enter the following command and confirm
    dscl . merge /groups/staff users "webstar"

Don't forget to restart to make the changes active!

I hope someone can benifit from this tip.

With kind regards,

Michael

Re: WebSTAR 5.3.3 and Lasso on Mac OS 10.3 and up - File Permissions tip

Trevor Jacques
I've been through this, but I have found that simply using the Config
file permissions in the WebSTAR installer works fine. The Restrict
file permissions messes things up. If WebSTAR/Lasso file access seems
to be wonky, I just rerun Config file permissions, which 99% of the
time fixes the problem.

At least OP and 4D have known about the problem for about a year or
more. No idea when or if it will be 'fixed.'

T.