Voluntaries for a small translation task

Voluntaries for a small translation task

Jolle Carlestam
Any takers for translating these words:

'Today',
'Yesterday',
'Tomorrow',
'This', (as in "This Tuesday")
'Next', (as in "Next Thursday")

into

German
Dutch
Italian
French
Spanish
Danish
Norwegian
Finish and
Irish?

I could also use some information on how you format date and time. As
a Swede I prefer ISO date but what would be standard in your country?
So, equivalent for %Q %H:%M in respective countries? USA would be %D %
h:%M %p right?

HDB
JC

Re: Voluntaries for a small translation task

Trevor Borgmeier
Jolle Carlestam wrote:

> Any takers for translating these words:
>
> 'Today',
> 'Yesterday',
> 'Tomorrow',
> 'This', (as in "This Tuesday")
> 'Next', (as in "Next Thursday")
>
> into
>
> German
> Dutch
> Italian
> French
> Spanish
> Danish
> Norwegian
> Finish and
> Irish?
>
> I could also use some information on how you format date and time. As
> a Swede I prefer ISO date but what would be standard in your country?
> So, equivalent for %Q %H:%M in respective countries? USA would be %D
> %h:%M %p right?
>
> HDB
> JC

You could try http://babelfish.altavista.com/ it might help, but I'm not
sure how accurate it is... this  is realtively simple, so I'd think it
would perform well.

In Spanish
tomorrow = mañana

"mañana" can also mean morning...

In Irish:
Today = Today,
Yesterday = Yesterday,
Tomorrow = Tomorrow,
This = This
Next = Next

(Do they speak something other than English in ireland?)

1 jul 2007 kl. 08.00 skrev Trevor Borgmeier:

> In Irish:
> Today = Today,
> Yesterday = Yesterday,
> Tomorrow = Tomorrow,
> This = This
> Next = Next
>
> (Do they speak something other than English in ireland?)

Eh, yes they do. If I where you I wouldn't travel to Ireland under my
own name for the next couple of years...

Here's the translation of day names that I have:

(map: 1='Dé Domhnaigh', 2='Dé Luain', 3='Dé Máirt', 4='Dé Céadaoin',
5='Déardaoin', 6='Dé hAoine', 7='Dé Sathairn')

And thanks for the tip about babelfish. It's just that I don't trust
automated translation services to get it right when context is
important.

HDB
JC

Re: Voluntaries for a small translation task

Göran Törnquist-2
En Español

Today = Hoy
Yesterday = Ayer
Tomorrow = Mañana
This = Este
Next = Próximo

/Göran

--
-----------------
Göran Törnquist

0733-86 04 70

believed to be clean.

1 jul 2007 kl. 08.41 skrev Göran Törnquist:

> En Español
>
> Today = Hoy
> Yesterday = Ayer
> Tomorrow = Mañana
> This = Este
> Next = Próximo
>
> /Göran

Gracias!

Any view on how they prefer date formatting in Spanish?

At 09.29 +0200 07-07-01, Jolle Carlestam wrote:

>1 jul 2007 kl. 08.41 skrev Göran Törnquist:
>
>>En Español
>>
>>Today = Hoy
>>Yesterday = Ayer
>>Tomorrow = Mañana
>>This = Este
>>Next = Próximo
>>
>>/Göran
>
>Gracias!
>
>Any view on how they prefer date formatting in Spanish?

Not with complete assurance of being correct.
Even my wife (her mother tongue is Spanish) can't
tell. Generally %D/%M/%Y, but has slight
differenes depending on if it's a Central
American region or a Latin American region. As
usual, if you don't write the long version, there
will always be some confusion.

On the Mac, System
Preferences->International->Formats lists the
following Spanish speaking regions (ex. January
1, 2007):

Argentina : 05/01/2007
Bolivia : 05/01/2007
Chile : 05-01-2007
Colombia : 5/01/2007
Costa Rica : 05/01/2007
Dominian Republic : 05/01/2007
Ecuador : 05/01/2007
El Salvador : 05/01/2007
Guatemala : 5/01/2007
Honduras : 05/01/2007
Mexico : 05/01/2007
Nicaragua : 05/01/2007
Panama : 01/05/2007
Paraguay : 05/01/2007
Peru : 05/01/2007
Puerto Rico : 01/05/2007
Spain : 05/01/2007
United States : (ene 5, 2007) 1/5/07
Uruguay : 05/01/2007
Venezuela : 05/01/2007

/Göran
--
-----------------
Göran Törnquist

0733-86 04 70

believed to be clean.

1 jul 2007 kl. 10.02 skrev Göran Törnquist:

> At 09.29 +0200 07-07-01, Jolle Carlestam wrote:
>> 1 jul 2007 kl. 08.41 skrev Göran Törnquist:
>>
>>> En Español
>>>
>>> Today = Hoy
>>> Yesterday = Ayer
>>> Tomorrow = Mañana
>>> This = Este
>>> Next = Próximo
>>>
>>> /Göran
>>
>> Gracias!
>>
>> Any view on how they prefer date formatting in Spanish?
>
> Not with complete assurance of being correct. Even my wife (her
> mother tongue is Spanish) can't tell. Generally %D/%M/%Y, but has
> slight differenes depending on if it's a Central American region or
> a Latin American region. As usual, if you don't write the long
> version, there will always be some confusion.
>
> On the Mac, System Preferences->International->Formats lists the
> following Spanish speaking regions (ex. January 1, 2007):
>
> Argentina : 05/01/2007
> Bolivia : 05/01/2007
> Chile : 05-01-2007
> Colombia : 5/01/2007
> Costa Rica : 05/01/2007
> Dominian Republic : 05/01/2007
> Ecuador : 05/01/2007
> El Salvador : 05/01/2007
> Guatemala : 5/01/2007
> Honduras : 05/01/2007
> Mexico : 05/01/2007
> Nicaragua : 05/01/2007
> Panama : 01/05/2007
> Paraguay : 05/01/2007
> Peru : 05/01/2007
> Puerto Rico : 01/05/2007
> Spain : 05/01/2007
> United States : (ene 5, 2007) 1/5/07
> Uruguay : 05/01/2007
> Venezuela : 05/01/2007
>
> /Göran

Talk about confusing. I think I'll go with ISO as standard. The tag
I'm working on handles per case specified formatting so it can always
be modified.

HDB
JC

Re: Voluntaries for a small translation task

Göran Törnquist-2
>1 jul 2007 kl. 10.02 skrev Göran Törnquist:

>>>Gracias!
>>>
>>>Any view on how they prefer date formatting in Spanish?
>>
>>Not with complete assurance of being correct.
>>Even my wife (her mother tongue is Spanish)
>>can't tell. Generally %D/%M/%Y, but has slight
>>differenes depending on if it's a Central
>>American region or a Latin American region. As
>>usual, if you don't write the long version,
>>there will always be some confusion.
>>
>>On the Mac, System
>>Preferences->International->Formats lists the
>>following Spanish speaking regions (ex. January
>>1, 2007):
>>
>>Argentina : 05/01/2007
>>Bolivia : 05/01/2007
>>Chile : 05-01-2007
>>Colombia : 5/01/2007
>>Costa Rica : 05/01/2007
>>Dominian Republic : 05/01/2007
>>Ecuador : 05/01/2007
>>El Salvador : 05/01/2007
>>Guatemala : 5/01/2007
>>Honduras : 05/01/2007
>>Mexico : 05/01/2007
>>Nicaragua : 05/01/2007
>>Panama : 01/05/2007
>>Paraguay : 05/01/2007
>>Peru : 05/01/2007
>>Puerto Rico : 01/05/2007
>>Spain : 05/01/2007
>>United States : (ene 5, 2007) 1/5/07
>>Uruguay : 05/01/2007
>>Venezuela : 05/01/2007
>>
>>/Göran
>
>Talk about confusing. I think I'll go with ISO
>as standard. The tag I'm working on handles per
>case specified formatting so it can always be
>modified.
>
>HDB
>JC

To add to further confusion, I've found that they
prefer that you write it according to ISO if
you're writing scientific papers at the
university level.

I recall reading a very interesting article, some
years ago, about time, and how difficult it is to
really tell what time it is. It's a good read to
expand your view of creating global services.

http://www.ddj.com/dept/architect/184404815

The abstract says:
<<"Real time" sometimes doesn't have anything to
do with "RTOS." Ed examines the problems you face
when you have to decide which clock is giving you
the real time.>>

/Göran
--
-----------------
Göran Törnquist

0733-86 04 70

believed to be clean.

Re: Voluntaries for a small translation task

Viaduct Productions
French:

Aujourd'hui
Hier
Demain,
Ce/Cette
a la prochaine, au prochain (as in the next Tuesday [au prochain Mardi])

Have this cross checked by others.

On Jul 1, 2007, at 1:05 AM, Jolle Carlestam wrote:

> 'Today',
> 'Yesterday',
> 'Tomorrow',
> 'This', (as in "This Tuesday")
> 'Next', (as in "Next Thursday")

Rich in Toronto

1 jul 2007 kl. 10.56 skrev Rich:

> French:
>
> Aujourd'hui
> Hier
> Demain,
> Ce/Cette
> a la prochaine, au prochain (as in the next Tuesday [au prochain
> Mardi])
>
> Have this cross checked by others.

Thanks! French now included.

Two down
German
Dutch
Italian
Danish
Norwegian
Finish and
Irish to go...

And for those who wonders. I'm modifying Jason Hucks date_relative
tag to handle languages.

HDB
JC

Re: Voluntaries for a small translation task

CoMedia

Jolle Carlestam wrote
Any takers for translating these words:

'Today',
'Yesterday',
'Tomorrow',
'This', (as in "This Tuesday")
'Next', (as in "Next Thursday")
Here's the Dutch translation:

Vandaag
Gisteren
Morgen
Deze
Volgende

however, in Dutch you shouldn't use capitals for these words if they're not the first in the line.

Regards, Alfred

Re: Voluntaries for a small translation task

Stefano Scarano
In Italiano:

- Today = oggi
- Yesterday = ieri
- Tomorrow = domani
- This = questo/questa
(This Mo/Tu/We/Th/Fr/Sa = Questo
lunedì/martedì/mercoledì/giovedì/venerdì, This
Sunday = Questa domenica)
- Next = prossimo/prossima
(Next Mo/Tu/We/Th/Fr/Sa =
lunedì/martedì/mercoledì/giovedì/venerdì
prossimo, This Sunday = domenica prossima)

Have a nice Sunday (Buona Domenica) !

On Jul 1, 2007, at 8:50 AM, CoMedia wrote:

>> Any takers for translating these words:
>>
>> 'Today',
>> 'Yesterday',
>> 'Tomorrow',
>> 'This', (as in "This Tuesday")
>> 'Next', (as in "Next Thursday")

Irish:

"Pub Open Now"
"Was bloody good, the pub"
"When she open?"
"Mine Guinness!"
"That me Guinness too!"

Pier told me these.

Rich in Toronto

Jolle Carlestam wrote:

> 1 jul 2007 kl. 08.00 skrev Trevor Borgmeier:
>
>> In Irish:
>> Today = Today,
>> Yesterday = Yesterday,
>> Tomorrow = Tomorrow,
>> This = This
>> Next = Next
>>
>> (Do they speak something other than English in ireland?)
>
> Eh, yes they do. If I where you I wouldn't travel to Ireland under my
> own name for the next couple of years...
>
> Here's the translation of day names that I have:
>
> (map: 1='Dé Domhnaigh', 2='Dé Luain', 3='Dé Máirt', 4='Dé Céadaoin',
> 5='Déardaoin', 6='Dé hAoine', 7='Dé Sathairn')
>
> And thanks for the tip about babelfish. It's just that I don't trust
> automated translation services to get it right when context is important.
>
> HDB
> JC

Oh yeah, I suppose they speak Gaelic or Celtic or something like that.
Are those referred to as Irish? I don't know.  Though I'd really like to
go to Ireland (I've obviously got a lot to learn) I don't see myself
going anytime soon but hopefully people won't look to the lasso list and
find my ignorance eternally preserved so that one day I can go without
disguise! Perhaps this post will reveal even further reveal my ignorance
of the Irish.

1 jul 2007 kl. 15.42 skrev Stefano Scarano:

> - This = questo/questa
> (This Mo/Tu/We/Th/Fr/Sa = Questo lunedì/martedì/mercoledì/giovedì/
> venerdì, This Sunday = Questa domenica)
> - Next = prossimo/prossima
> (Next Mo/Tu/We/Th/Fr/Sa = lunedì/martedì/mercoledì/giovedì/venerdì
> prossimo, This Sunday = domenica prossima)

Tricky. Tag not prepared for that..

Kinda prove my point about Babelfish.

Thanks!

Buona Domenica!!

1 jul 2007 kl. 14.50 skrev CoMedia:

> Jolle Carlestam wrote:
>>
>> Any takers for translating these words:
>>
>> 'Today',
>> 'Yesterday',
>> 'Tomorrow',
>> 'This', (as in "This Tuesday")
>> 'Next', (as in "Next Thursday")
>>

> Here's the Dutch translation:
>
> Vandaag
> Gisteren
> Morgen
> Deze
> Volgende
>
> however, in Dutch you shouldn't use capitals for these words if
> they're not
> the first in the line.

I suppose this will be a case of both. Usually in lists and stuff and
then just to fuck with the developer a sudden need for it in the
middle of a text.

Thanks!

JC

Re: Voluntaries for a small translation task

Lars A. Gundersen
Norwegian:

Today = i dag
Yesterday = i går
Tomorrow = i morgen
This = denne
However, with the noun in that form "en" is added at the end,
yielding for instance
This Thursday = denne torsdagen
Next = neste

bonus: in norgwegian the day before yesterday has its own word : forgårs

Dates: ISO

Lars
On 1. jul. 2007, at 07.05, Jolle Carlestam wrote:

> Any takers for translating these words:
>
> 'Today',
> 'Yesterday',
> 'Tomorrow',
> 'This', (as in "This Tuesday")
> 'Next', (as in "Next Thursday")
>
> into
>
> German
> Dutch
> Italian
> French
> Spanish
> Danish
> Norwegian
> Finish and
> Irish?
>
> I could also use some information on how you format date and time.
> As a Swede I prefer ISO date but what would be standard in your
> country?
> So, equivalent for %Q %H:%M in respective countries? USA would be %
> D %h:%M %p right?
>
> HDB
> JC

Lars A. Gundersen
Implementationdesign
http://www.larsagundersen.no/ • +47 91 64 46 10

Re: Voluntaries for a small translation task

Clive Bruton

On 1 Jul 2007, at 07:00, Trevor Borgmeier wrote:

> (Do they speak something other than English in ireland?)

Irish Gaelic. I believe that in the Republic of Ireland its a
required subject for school children. Most Catholics in Northern
Ireland will also study it.

The most obvious examples of this from an international perspective
is the police being called the Garda and Bertie Ahern's position of
office being taoiseach, plus the names of the Irish political
parties: Sinn Fein, Fianna Gael, Fianna Fail.

The curious thing about this is that in England the media often
refers to the Irish police as the Garda/Gardai, but they don't call
the German police the Polizei.

-- Clive

On 1 Jul 2007, at 06:05, Jolle Carlestam wrote:

> 'This', (as in "This Tuesday")
> 'Next', (as in "Next Thursday")

I think you'd better be careful with these uses in English, as they
are fairly contextual, just as an example:

        If it's Friday, how many days away is "next Thursday"?

        If it's Wednesday, how many days away is "next Thursday"?

-- Clive

Re: Voluntaries for a small translation task

Olivier Miossec
For French it should be

Aujourd'hui
Hier
Demain
Ce
Le prochain Lundi,Mardi,Mercredi,Jeudi,Vendredi,Samedi, Dimanche

>> French:
>>
>> Aujourd'hui
>> Hier
>> Demain,
>> Ce/Cette
>> a la prochaine, au prochain (as in the next Tuesday [au prochain
>> Mardi])
>>
>> Have this cross checked by others.
>
> Thanks! French now included.
>
> Two down
> German
> Dutch
> Italian
> Danish
> Norwegian
> Finish and
> Irish to go...
>
> And for those who wonders. I'm modifying Jason Hucks date_relative
> tag to handle languages.
>
> HDB
> JC

Olivier Miossec