Using M/Monit with Lasso 8.6

Peter D Bethke
Hello all,

LP 8.6/OSX 10.5/Apache2

Does anyone have experience using M/Monit (or just Monit) in a lasso hosting environment? We have a site instance that is having issues and sometimes becomes unresponsive. We're looking to isolate the problem but in the meantime would like to install a monitor that can restart the instance (that particular instance only) if the page is unresponsive (spinning beachball in the browser) or if there is a lasso error (where the page content is filtered for a catch phrase - like Jim VH's Squeeky does).

I know that M/Monit has a great ability to monitor and take actions on processes - but the unresponsive sites' processes are techically stlll running - its just that the web output is stalled. Following on to this, is there a way to restart a particular instance of a site in lasso 8.6, not the whole lasso application, via command line or M/Monit?

Peter

Re: Using M/Monit with Lasso 8.6

Douglas Burchard
On Mar 30, 2012, at 8:55 AM, Peter D Bethke wrote:

> Following on to this, is there a way to restart a particular instance of a site in lasso 8.6, not the whole lasso application, via command line or M/Monit?

Use server_sitestop, and server_sitestart, from the site-zero on the same server. Except, you'd have to know what the offending site_id was. Perhaps you could set that in a custom registry each time the site starts up. Of course, if there is a command line option, that would be better.

(Sorry, I have no experience with Monit.)

--
Douglas Burchard
phone: 206-227-8161

Re: Using M/Monit with Lasso 8.6

Ke Carlton-3
I used successfully with L8.x on on CentOS paired with modified versions of
Wade's scripts:

http://www.lassosoft.com/Monitoring-Lasso-with-Monit
http://tagswap.net/RD_lassoService_pid

And currently use it directly with L9 and M/Monit — it rocks.

You can configure it to simply monitor a URL and then restart the
particular site after x many fails etc... loads of options. Is really
strong.

Ke

On 30 March 2012 16:55, Peter D Bethke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> LP 8.6/OSX 10.5/Apache2
>
> Does anyone have experience using M/Monit (or just Monit) in a lasso
> hosting environment? We have a site instance that is having issues and
> sometimes becomes unresponsive. We're looking to isolate the problem but in
> the meantime would like to install a monitor that can restart the instance
> (that particular instance only) if the page is unresponsive (spinning
> beachball in the browser) or if there is a lasso error (where the page
> content is filtered for a catch phrase - like Jim VH's Squeeky does).
>
> I know that M/Monit has a great ability to monitor and take actions on
> processes - but the unresponsive sites' processes are techically stlll
> running - its just that the web output is stalled. Following on to this, is
> there a way to restart a particular instance of a site in lasso 8.6, not
> the whole lasso application, via command line or M/Monit?
>
> Peter

Re: Using M/Monit with Lasso 8.6

Wade Maxfield
On 31/03/2012, at 6:07 AM, Ke Carlton wrote:

> On 30 March 2012 16:55, Peter D Bethke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> LP 8.6/OSX 10.5/Apache2
>>
>> Does anyone have experience using M/Monit (or just Monit) in a lasso
>> hosting environment? We have a site instance that is having issues and
>> sometimes becomes unresponsive. We're looking to isolate the problem but in
>> the meantime would like to install a monitor that can restart the instance
>> (that particular instance only) if the page is unresponsive (spinning
>> beachball in the browser) or if there is a lasso error (where the page
>> content is filtered for a catch phrase - like Jim VH's Squeeky does).
>>
>> I know that M/Monit has a great ability to monitor and take actions on
>> processes - but the unresponsive sites' processes are techically stlll
>> running - its just that the web output is stalled. Following on to this, is
>> there a way to restart a particular instance of a site in lasso 8.6, not
>> the whole lasso application, via command line or M/Monit?
>>
>> Peter
>>

> I used successfully with L8.x on on CentOS paired with modified versions of
> Wade's scripts:
>
> http://www.lassosoft.com/Monitoring-Lasso-with-Monit
> http://tagswap.net/RD_lassoService_pid
>
> And currently use it directly with L9 and M/Monit — it rocks.
>
> You can configure it to simply monitor a URL and then restart the
> particular site after x many fails etc... loads of options. Is really
> strong.
>
> Ke

I haven't tried it with 8.6 only 8.5.6, but otherwise I have a similar setup (Mac OS X 10.5 / Apache 2) on one of my machines. The others are OS X Server 10.6 and OS X Server 10.7, all using monit reporting to m/monit.

I don't have it monitoring Lasso via URL tests, only pid, totalmem & totalcpu. I restart a particular Lasso site by killing it by pid, then start it by hitting the site via curl.

This would take care of your requirement for restarting a particular instance via command line.  The URL tests should handle your unresponsive page. For the catch phrase test, you'll probably need a script with curl and grep via a cron job, that then calls monit (if you want logging/notification) or just the command line restart scripts (if you don't care about logging).

 - Wade

Re: Using M/Monit with Lasso 8.6

Marc Pope-2
I just used the example for a customer server, memory creep was killing it. I am on Linux and had to modify the example a lot, but in the end I see CPU and memory and monit kills the lasso site and restarts it.

Marc