Upload files for import to FMAS8

Keith M. Rettig
I am trying to allow trusted users to upload records to the Filemaker
Pro Advanced Server database via Lasso using a provided [to the user]
Excel file.  I am not sure I have the correct logic worked out for
this.

I would love to use the upload function and have Lasso import the
records (one per row in Excel) into the FMAS table.  But I don't
think that is possible.  I hope I am completely wrong here!

(1) It doesn't seem like I can use the upload function to put the
Excel file on the web server (I am running a 3 machine set up; FMAS,
FMIWP, Apache/Lasso) since FMAS can't get to the the file for
importing the records.  That would require the FMAS machine to
maintain constant access to the web server hard drive (easy with AFP
but not smart).

(2) It doesn't seem like there is a way (nor would it appear to be
smart) to have the upload function simply put the file on the FMAS
machine either.  That would require the web server machine to
maintain constant access to the FMAS hard drive (easy with AFP but
not smart).

(3) So it would seem I need to use the upload function to put the
file on a machine that is running an FM client (using either FTP tag
or SSH) and then have the client process the file (using folder
action or some sort of job task manager).  Not sure how this is
different from approach #2 other than I am not putting any files on
the FMAS server itself (at least some semblance of security!).

Thanks for any guidance,
Keith.

Re: Upload files for import to FMAS8

Doug Gentry
Keith -

Is the user with the Excel spreadsheet just one, fairly consistent
source, and you're trying to smooth out a process for him to get the
data up to Filemaker...?  Or is this a capability that you want many
different users to have?

If the former (one or two dedicated "uploaders") you might be able to
bypass Lasso altogether and use Filemaker's ODBC communication
capabilities - which are shared by Excel.  I wrote on this list
earlier about how we use ODBC drivers from Actual Technologies
(thanks for the tip, Miles!) www,actualtechnologies.com on Macs. Now
I haven't thought this through enough to be sure it would solve your
situation, but it is a different avenue to explore. And if the users
are not using Macs you'd need to find the comparable Windows tools.

Just a thought...

....Doug Gentry

On Mar 16, 2007, at 2:34 AM, Keith Rettig wrote:

> I am trying to allow trusted users to upload records to the
> Filemaker Pro Advanced Server database via Lasso using a provided
> [to the user] Excel file.  I am not sure I have the correct logic
> worked out for this.
>
> I would love to use the upload function and have Lasso import the
> records (one per row in Excel) into the FMAS table.  But I don't
> think that is possible.  I hope I am completely wrong here!
>
> (1) It doesn't seem like I can use the upload function to put the
> Excel file on the web server (I am running a 3 machine set up;
> FMAS, FMIWP, Apache/Lasso) since FMAS can't get to the the file for
> importing the records.  That would require the FMAS machine to
> maintain constant access to the web server hard drive (easy with
> AFP but not smart).
>
> (2) It doesn't seem like there is a way (nor would it appear to be
> smart) to have the upload function simply put the file on the FMAS
> machine either.  That would require the web server machine to
> maintain constant access to the FMAS hard drive (easy with AFP but
> not smart).
>
> (3) So it would seem I need to use the upload function to put the
> file on a machine that is running an FM client (using either FTP
> tag or SSH) and then have the client process the file (using folder
> action or some sort of job task manager).  Not sure how this is
> different from approach #2 other than I am not putting any files on
> the FMAS server itself (at least some semblance of security!).
>
> Thanks for any guidance,
> Keith.

Doug Gentry
Dynapolis & Southern Oregon University
p:  541-261-8501 / Toll Free: 866-890-6013
[hidden email]
www.dynapolis.com

Re: Upload files for import to FMAS8

Lasso can allow you to upload any file.  For information on this part, I have a guide that can help and refers to the Language Guide for complete details:
<http://stevepiercy.com/lasso_stuff/file_perms.lasso>

The second step may be an issue, depending on how the Excel file is saved.  If it is a .xls workbook, then Lasso by itself cannot import the data from it, AFAIK.  If you save the file as .txt, .csv or even .xml, then it is a text file that Lasso can process.  The devil is users who don't know how to save Excel files as a text file, and then writing the routine to process the file.

--steve

On Friday, March 16, 2007, [hidden email] (Keith Rettig) pronounced:

<[hidden email]>                   <http://www.StevePiercy.com>

On 2007.03.16, Doug Gentry <[hidden email]> wrote the following:
>Is the user with the Excel spreadsheet just one, fairly consistent source, and you're trying to smooth out a process for him to get the data up to Filemaker...?  Or is this a capability that you want many different users to have?
>If the former (one or two dedicated "uploaders") you might be able to bypass Lasso altogether and use Filemaker's ODBC communication capabilities - which are shared by Excel.

A good idea and I am disappointed in myself for not at least thinking of this approach, but unfortunately the users are not sophisticated enough to use ODBC and we are quite sure that the users won't save as...text or XML correctly.  So for now we just have them emailing us the Excel files.  Letting them upload will save time and make it easier for us.

On 2007.03.16, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder <[hidden email]> wrote the following:
>Lasso can allow you to upload any file.  For information on this part, I have a guide that can help and refers to the Language Guide for complete details: <http://stevepiercy.com/lasso_stuff/file_perms.lasso>
>The second step may be an issue, depending on how the Excel file is saved. If it is a .xls workbook, then Lasso by itself cannot import the data from it, AFAIK.

I appreciate the guidance on ensuring we can upload the files correctly.

The second step is the crux of my help seeking...
I didn't think Lasso could import the Excel file for us; I am looking for confirmation of this (you are at least one vote of confidence in that impression) as well as a confirmation that I have explored all the possibilities of how to handle this.

Based on Doug, Steve, and Fabrizio's responses and our own thinking we think we have the best solution; that is,
1) allow user (this is a customer of our customer) to upload the Excel file to our web server
2a) have an inline FTP or SSH the file to the machine running the FM client (this will be at our customer's location)
2b) have an inline load a task into our job table
3) FM client will see task in job table and import the records from the Excel file using a pre-written script, sanitize the data imported, than perform our magical operations on the data.
4) delete copy of file on client machine and archive file on our web server

From here it seems like it will work.
Thanks again for any guidance,
Keith.