Upgrade Advice

Patrick Larkin-2
Hello -

I have been running Lasso 6 on MacOS X.  To upgrade to new hardware,
I obviously need to upgrade Lasso to be Intel compatible (I'm
assuming Lasso 8.5 is compatible).

I purchased a Lasso 7 upgrade and never implemented it because it was
such a drastic change and I didn't have time to completely redo
everything.  I assume a Lasso 6 to Lasso 8.5 will be even more painful.

So my questions:

1. Is the upgrade worth it
2. Is it a huge headache to migrate?  I noticed that even the
database engine changed.
3. Any advice on this migration?

When I started doing the 6 >7 migration, I followed the directions
and pretty much nothing worked anymore.  I'm very paranoid.  Thanks!

Patrick Larkin
Developer/Administrator of Special Systems / Webmaster
Bethlehem Area School District

Re: Upgrade Advice

decorior
7->8 for me was relatively painless. Though, I did find some issues
with math calculations.

I think, in 7 I found the precision was determined by the best
precision of one of the values, and  in 8 it was by the worst of the
one of the values.

I am sure this is on the list somewhere.

Deco

On Feb 9, 2007, at 7:08 AM, Patrick Larkin wrote:

> Hello -
>
> I have been running Lasso 6 on MacOS X.  To upgrade to new
> hardware, I obviously need to upgrade Lasso to be Intel compatible
> (I'm assuming Lasso 8.5 is compatible).
>
> I purchased a Lasso 7 upgrade and never implemented it because it
> was such a drastic change and I didn't have time to completely redo
> everything.  I assume a Lasso 6 to Lasso 8.5 will be even more
> painful.
>
> So my questions:
>
> 1. Is the upgrade worth it
> 2. Is it a huge headache to migrate?  I noticed that even the
> database engine changed.
> 3. Any advice on this migration?
>
> When I started doing the 6 >7 migration, I followed the directions
> and pretty much nothing worked anymore.  I'm very paranoid.  Thanks!
>

> Patrick Larkin
> Developer/Administrator of Special Systems / Webmaster
> Bethlehem Area School District

Re: Upgrade Advice

Mason Miller
6 to 8.5 will not be much different than 6 to 7, but had you already
done that 7-8.5 would require very little effort.  I have found that
most of my 6 code works fine under 8.x with a few encoding changes.

And definitely worth it.

Mason

Patrick Larkin wrote:

> Hello -
>
> I have been running Lasso 6 on MacOS X.  To upgrade to new hardware, I
> obviously need to upgrade Lasso to be Intel compatible (I'm assuming
> Lasso 8.5 is compatible).
>
> I purchased a Lasso 7 upgrade and never implemented it because it was
> such a drastic change and I didn't have time to completely redo
> everything.  I assume a Lasso 6 to Lasso 8.5 will be even more painful.
>
> So my questions:
>
> 1. Is the upgrade worth it
> 2. Is it a huge headache to migrate?  I noticed that even the database
> engine changed.
> 3. Any advice on this migration?
>
> When I started doing the 6 >7 migration, I followed the directions and
> pretty much nothing worked anymore.  I'm very paranoid.  Thanks!
>

> Patrick Larkin
> Developer/Administrator of Special Systems / Webmaster
> Bethlehem Area School District

Re: Upgrade Advice

Paul Melia

On Feb 9, 2007, at 9:08 AM, Patrick Larkin wrote:

> So my questions:
>
> 1. Is the upgrade worth it

That depends on your needs but you will eventually be facing a
situation where an upgrade will be mandatory - equipment failure,
platform no longer supported by OS, etc.
Incremental upgrading - whether yearly, bi-yearly or some other
timetable helps avoid the one-time "hard mountain to climb" scenario.

> 2. Is it a huge headache to migrate?  I noticed that even the
> database engine changed.

Again depends on your specific needs and usage. If you use an
external DB for your solutions, then the change of internal DB within
Lasso has little impact. I always recommend using an external DB to
my clients. It gives them more control and portability.

> 3. Any advice on this migration?

Assess your needs, available resources (programmers, money, time) and
make an evaluation based on that. Especially take a look at your
coding. Is it set up using as much object-oriented coding as
possible? Do you rely on specific features of a certain application
(i.e.: calculations in FileMaker)? Are you using tags that have been
depreciated or scheduled for depreciation (check in the Lasso
Reference)?

Since you write that the migration from 6 to 7 was problematic, it
sounds like there is either a lot of legacy code or reliance on
certain version-specific features that might be the cause for fear.

With the availability of the free Lasso 8.5 Developer Edition, the
best advice is to download a copy, setup a test machine and see how
your solution works on it.
I would enable Full Error Reporting and then try it first with
Classic disabled. Then, if it does not work, enable Classic and see
what happens.

For the most "future-proof" solution, try to remove all Classic
format coding and use objective approaches in coding.

HTH,
Paul M.

Re: Upgrade Advice

Patrick Larkin-2

On Feb 9, 2007, at 9:23 AM, Paul Melia wrote:

> On Feb 9, 2007, at 9:08 AM, Patrick Larkin wrote:
>
>> So my questions:
>>
>> 1. Is the upgrade worth it
>
> That depends on your needs but you will eventually be facing a
> situation where an upgrade will be mandatory - equipment failure,
> platform no longer supported by OS, etc.
> Incremental upgrading - whether yearly, bi-yearly or some other
> timetable helps avoid the one-time "hard mountain to climb" scenario.

Well,  I want to move it to a new Mac so that time is now.

>> 2. Is it a huge headache to migrate?  I noticed that even the
>> database engine changed.
>
> Again depends on your specific needs and usage. If you use an
> external DB for your solutions, then the change of internal DB
> within Lasso has little impact. I always recommend using an
> external DB to my clients. It gives them more control and portability.

All data is in an external MySQL server or in Filemaker Pro servers.
I don't use the internal Lasso db for data.

>> 3. Any advice on this migration?
>
> Assess your needs, available resources (programmers, money, time)
> and make an evaluation based on that. Especially take a look at
> your coding. Is it set up using as much object-oriented coding as
> possible? Do you rely on specific features of a certain application
> (i.e.: calculations in FileMaker)? Are you using tags that have
> been depreciated or scheduled for depreciation (check in the Lasso
> Reference)?
>
> Since you write that the migration from 6 to 7 was problematic, it
> sounds like there is either a lot of legacy code or reliance on
> certain version-specific features that might be the cause for fear.
>
> With the availability of the free Lasso 8.5 Developer Edition, the
> best advice is to download a copy, setup a test machine and see how
> your solution works on it.
> I would enable Full Error Reporting and then try it first with
> Classic disabled. Then, if it does not work, enable Classic and see
> what happens.

If I remember, a lot of classic code is still around from the 3.6
days.  The headache really seemed to be in migrating the Lasso
internal databases over to this new database that I'm not familiar
with...

Re: Upgrade Advice

Paul Melia

On Feb 9, 2007, at 10:12 AM, Patrick Larkin wrote:

> If I remember, a lot of classic code is still around from the 3.6
> days.  The headache really seemed to be in migrating the Lasso
> internal databases over to this new database that I'm not familiar
> with...

Patrick,

There is a settings migrator that can take the internal settings of
Lasso and transfer them to a different Lasso installation. I am not
certain of the exact steps for a Lasso 6 to 8.5 transfer but I am
sure that some one on the list can chime in with the right answer or
a link.

The classic code is the fly in the ointment. The more recent versions
of Lasso have improved parsers that will catch the minor errors that
earlier Lasso versions allowed to pass. It can be frustrating to
track down the errant ';' or improperly defined variable but the
result is more robust and durable code.

Good luck!
Paul M.

Re: Upgrade Advice

James Harvard
>I have been running Lasso 6 on MacOS X.  To upgrade to new hardware, I obviously need to upgrade Lasso to be Intel compatible (I'm assuming Lasso 8.5 is compatible).
>
>I purchased a Lasso 7 upgrade and never implemented it because it was such a drastic change and I didn't have time to completely redo everything.  I assume a Lasso 6 to Lasso 8.5 will be even more painful.

Does your code work under the 'strict syntax' mode in Lasso 6?
James

Re: Upgrade Advice

Patrick Larkin-2
I don't know.  I guess I'll try it out this weekend.  Is that a
setting in Lasso Admin?

On Feb 9, 2007, at 12:38 PM, James Harvard wrote:

>> I have been running Lasso 6 on MacOS X.  To upgrade to new
>> hardware, I obviously need to upgrade Lasso to be Intel compatible
>> (I'm assuming Lasso 8.5 is compatible).
>>
>> I purchased a Lasso 7 upgrade and never implemented it because it
>> was such a drastic change and I didn't have time to completely
>> redo everything.  I assume a Lasso 6 to Lasso 8.5 will be even
>> more painful.
>
> Does your code work under the 'strict syntax' mode in Lasso 6?
> James

Re: Upgrade Advice

Fletcher Sandbeck
> I have been running Lasso 6 on MacOS X.  To upgrade to new hardware,
> I obviously need to upgrade Lasso to be Intel compatible (I'm
> assuming Lasso 8.5 is compatible).

Yes, Lasso 8.5 is the first version of Lasso which is Intel-native on
Mac OS X.

> I purchased a Lasso 7 upgrade and never implemented it because it was
> such a drastic change and I didn't have time to completely redo
> everything.  I assume a Lasso 6 to Lasso 8.5 will be even more
> painful.

The upgrade process actually should have improved a bit.  We have made a
number of additional changes in Lasso 7 and Lasso 8 which should make
upgrading easier for some Lasso 6 users.

> So my questions:
>
> 1. Is the upgrade worth it
> 2. Is it a huge headache to migrate?  I noticed that even the
> database engine changed.
> 3. Any advice on this migration?
>
> When I started doing the 6 >7 migration, I followed the directions
> and pretty much nothing worked anymore.  I'm very paranoid.  Thanks!

I would recommend installing Lasso 8.5 (the latest beta) on a new
machine and testing your Web site there before you attempt to do
anything live.  You can run Lasso 8.5 indefinitely without a serial
number so you should be able to do most of your transition work before
you need to buy a license.  If you are using Classic Lasso be sure to
turn it on in the admin.

If you are using the internal database for your own databases then you
will need to migrate those to an external installation of MySQL using
the Lasso Settings Migrator.  If the internal databases are only being
used for Lasso's settings then you should be able to use the Lasso
Settings Migrator to export those settings and import them into the new
server.

Test your Web site and correct any issues as they come up.  I usually
try to get a Web site to work first using its existing code, with any
minor edits required for compatibility.  Then, work on transitioning
some code over to the new version if necessary.

The documentation of the Lasso Settings Migrator is included in the
download archive for Lasso 8.5.  The Language Guide also includes an
Upgrading section which you should at least skim through before
modifying your code to run on the new machine.

Director of Product Development       http://www.lassostudio.com
OmniPilot Software, Inc.                http://www.omnipilot.com