Updating from L3 -> L7...tips, tools, etc?

Updating from L3 -> L7...tips, tools, etc?

Robert Carpenter
Hey all-

I've got an old L3 solution that I need to roll over to L7, and while I'm
sure I'll be re-coding big chunks of it, I'd like to start by just cleaning
up the various old syntax/tag name issues so that it will run in L7 strict.

I seem to remember there being a tool available in the L5 days to manage
this sort of conversion, but I'm not readily finding it on the OP site. I
did find this in the L6 Setup Guide: "The Tag Converter and Tag Updater
plug-ins for BBEdit are no longer  supported...Lasso Studio provides a CDML
Converter  and LDML Updater that provide similar functionality."

Sooo...what do folks recommend? Is there a tool hiding out there to take
care of most of this stuff? Will buying the spiffy new Eclipse tool help me
out with this? Does someone have a RegEx library that will deal with the
majority of syntax/tag name problems? Any other advice?

Ultimately this bad boy will need a ground up rebuild, but for now I want to
get it functioning and then do some selective re-codes.

Thanks in advance!
-robert-

Re: Updating from L3 -> L7...tips, tools, etc?

James Harvard
I made a BBEdit / AppleScript thing that ran a series of regex actions to do stuff like put hyphens in front of encoding keywords. I've no idea if it still works with the latest version of BBEdit. IIRC I created it when I was still running Mac OS 9 on my desktop machine. Still, you might find it useful. At the very least, even if it doesn't work now or you don't use the Mac OS, you might find the regex patterns it uses to be useful starting points:
http://www.harvard-digital.co.uk/lasso/LDML_upgrade_assistant.sit

Another useful tool is Adam Randall's parsecheck.lassoapp. It's on LassoForge, I think.

One notable L6 -> L7 gotcha is that you can no longer separate loop_count from its parent container tag (i.e. loop, records, while etc) by placing the loop_count within a process tag or include file.
loop: 2 ;
        // this will give you an error
        include: 'code_using_loop_count_tag.lasso' ;
/loop;

There may have been a more complete list of L7 gotchas posted here - try searching the archive for gotcha in the 6 months or so after the release of L7.

Good luck,
James Harvard

>I've got an old L3 solution that I need to roll over to L7, and while I'm
>sure I'll be re-coding big chunks of it, I'd like to start by just cleaning
>up the various old syntax/tag name issues so that it will run in L7 strict.
>
>I seem to remember there being a tool available in the L5 days to manage
>this sort of conversion, but I'm not readily finding it on the OP site. I
>did find this in the L6 Setup Guide: "The Tag Converter and Tag Updater
>plug-ins for BBEdit are no longer  supported...Lasso Studio provides a CDML
>Converter  and LDML Updater that provide similar functionality."
>
>Sooo...what do folks recommend? Is there a tool hiding out there to take
>care of most of this stuff? Will buying the spiffy new Eclipse tool help me
>out with this? Does someone have a RegEx library that will deal with the
>majority of syntax/tag name problems? Any other advice?
>
>Ultimately this bad boy will need a ground up rebuild, but for now I want to
>get it functioning and then do some selective re-codes.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>-robert-

Re: Updating from L3 -> L7...tips, tools, etc?

Robert Carpenter
Thanks, James! I actually ended up just plowing through the files last nite,
using BBEdit multi-file grep, L7 Full Error Reporting, and a  big honkin'
triple mocha as my tools. It's working now, although there's several
routines that L7 will make a lot more efficient and/or effective.

Wow, L3 let you get away with murder! There was some amazingly sloppy code
in there, I don't know how the L3 parser made it's way through that slop. I
oughta give the guy that wrote that dreck a serious thrashing.

:)

-rbt-