Updating Date fields

Chris Marriott
     Hi all,

I'm using:

Lasso Pro Server 8.0.5
-Mac OS X Panther Server
FileMaker 6 Unlimited
-Mac OS X Panther

I have a FileMaker database with a table containing several different
field types, most text, but a few are date fields.

Performing an -Update Inline on this table works fine except that the
date fields will not update.  The other fields on the table update fine.

I'm using the [Server_Date] tag to set a var.  This var is used in
the -Update Inline.  The var will display on my page fine, but does
not want to work with the Inline.  Is there something I'm missing
here?  I've been through everything I can think of and have tried
using the [Date_Format] tag formatting the var, but nothing seems to
work…

Chris
______________________________
Chris Marriott
Rant Promotions Inc.
Suite 107
7001 Mumford Road
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
B3L 4N9
(902) 457-4577 ph
(902) 457-1441 fax
www.rant.ca

Re: Updating Date fields

James Harvard
To narrow down the possible causes try hard-coding dates to see what works.

Personally I don't use server_date or server_time because they return strings, wheras by using [date] you get a date data type.

HTH,
James Harvard

>Lasso Pro Server 8.0.5
>-Mac OS X Panther Server
>FileMaker 6 Unlimited
>-Mac OS X Panther
>
>I have a FileMaker database with a table containing several different field types, most text, but a few are date fields.
>
>Performing an -Update Inline on this table works fine except that the date fields will not update.  The other fields on the table update fine.
>
>I'm using the [Server_Date] tag to set a var.  This var is used in the -Update Inline.  The var will display on my page fine, but does not want to work with the Inline.  Is there something I'm missing here?  I've been through everything I can think of and have tried using the [Date_Format] tag formatting the var, but nothing seems to workŠ

Re: Updating Date fields

Chris Marriott
The problem was indeed the [Server_Date] tag.  When I changed the
field type in FileMaker from "Date" to "Text", the update inline
worked fine.  Must have something to do with [Server_Date] returning
a string like you said.

I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to use for recording a
submission date and time.  I could use a FileMaker Calc field that
uses Status(CurrendDate) but I try to avoid calc fields like that
because they're always updating and take CPU power…

Is there another solution in Lasso to retrieve the current date other
than [Server_Date]?

Chris

On 8-Jun-05, at 2:41 PM, James Harvard wrote:

> To narrow down the possible causes try hard-coding dates to see
> what works.
>
> Personally I don't use server_date or server_time because they
> return strings, wheras by using [date] you get a date data type.
>
> HTH,
> James Harvard
>

>> Lasso Pro Server 8.0.5
>> -Mac OS X Panther Server
>> FileMaker 6 Unlimited
>> -Mac OS X Panther
>>
>> I have a FileMaker database with a table containing several
>> different field types, most text, but a few are date fields.
>>
>> Performing an -Update Inline on this table works fine except that
>> the date fields will not update.  The other fields on the table
>> update fine.
>>
>> I'm using the [Server_Date] tag to set a var.  This var is used in
>> the -Update Inline.  The var will display on my page fine, but
>> does not want to work with the Inline.  Is there something I'm
>> missing here?  I've been through everything I can think of and
>> have tried using the [Date_Format] tag formatting the var, but
>> nothing seems to workŠ

______________________________
Chris Marriott
Rant Promotions Inc.
Suite 107
7001 Mumford Road
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
B3L 4N9
(902) 457-4577 ph
(902) 457-1441 fax
www.rant.ca

Re: Updating Date fields

Peter Brown
[Date] will get you the date, or [Date->Day] and so on

> Is there another solution in Lasso to retrieve the current date other
> than [Server_Date]?

Re: Updating Date fields

James Harvard
>The problem was indeed the [Server_Date] tag.  When I changed the field type in FileMaker from "Date" to "Text", the update inline worked fine.  Must have something to do with [Server_Date] returning a string like you said.

Well, if you change it to a text field then I imagine you can put any data you want into the field. I don't think it's a good idea though - if you want to store dates then it's best to use a date field. When I talked about data types I was refering to Lasso data types, not FileMaker field types.
[server_date->type]
[date->type]

>I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to use for recording a submission date and time.  I could use a FileMaker Calc field that uses Status(CurrendDate) but I try to avoid calc fields like that because they're always updating and take CPU powerŠ
>
>Is there another solution in Lasso to retrieve the current date other than [Server_Date]?

http://ldml.omnipilot.com/LDMLReference.LassoApp?tag=20

HTH,
James Harvard