Update 8.5 to 8.5.5 created a Email_Send problem?

Update 8.5 to 8.5.5 created a Email_Send problem?

Neil Enock
Hi All,

I finally got around to updating to 8.5.5 last night and it went
pretty much without incident. This morning however, we discovered that
emails sent via [Email_Send] are no longer going through.

All of them  - from our payments receipts, online forms, even simple
feedback forms are no longer working.

Nothing has changed on the mail server.

In the Lasso Site Admin, the mails show up - status 'Sending'.  Then
they seem to sit until the next email reaches the queue.  Then the
mail is marked Sent, and the new mail is 'Sending' .  The emails never
arrive to the recipient or the cc - and no error is shown,  The only
thing odd is that in In the past they have been sent immediately.

If anyone has any insight, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Neil
--
     Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
              ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print

ph 403.230.3951         http://www.chromata.com         [hidden email]
fx 403.276.3564         http://www.ePrint-Network.com   [hidden email]
tf 866.430.3951         http://Wooden-boxes.com         [hidden email]

Re: Update 8.5 to 8.5.5 created a Email_Send problem?

Eric Landmann
Neil Enock <[hidden email]> wrote on Thursday, January 22, 2009:

>I finally got around to updating to 8.5.5 last night and it went
>pretty much without incident. This morning however, we discovered that
>emails sent via [Email_Send] are no longer going through.
>
>All of them  - from our payments receipts, online forms, even simple
>feedback forms are no longer working.
>
>Nothing has changed on the mail server.
>
>In the Lasso Site Admin, the mails show up - status 'Sending'.  Then
>they seem to sit until the next email reaches the queue.  Then the
>mail is marked Sent, and the new mail is 'Sending' .  The emails never
>arrive to the recipient or the cc - and no error is shown,  The only
>thing odd is that in In the past they have been sent immediately.
>
>If anyone has any insight, I would appreciate it.

I believe it's some sort of bug in the mail sending operations that make become unresponsive. See this thread: <http://www.listsearch.com/Lasso/Thread/index.lasso?21781#244631>

--Eric

Re: Update 8.5 to 8.5.5 created a Email_Send problem?

Neil Enock
Hi Eric,

Thanks, But that's not it.

My email shows as 'Sent'  it doesn't stay as queued.

I did restart Lasso, and then the entire machine - same issue exists.
No email coming through!

Thanks,
Neil

On Jan 22, 2009, at 12:38 PM, Eric Landmann wrote:

> Neil Enock <[hidden email]> wrote on Thursday, January 22, 2009:
>
>> I finally got around to updating to 8.5.5 last night and it went
>> pretty much without incident. This morning however, we discovered
>> that
>> emails sent via [Email_Send] are no longer going through.
>>
>> All of them  - from our payments receipts, online forms, even simple
>> feedback forms are no longer working.
>>
>> Nothing has changed on the mail server.
>>
>> In the Lasso Site Admin, the mails show up - status 'Sending'.  Then
>> they seem to sit until the next email reaches the queue.  Then the
>> mail is marked Sent, and the new mail is 'Sending' .  The emails
>> never
>> arrive to the recipient or the cc - and no error is shown,  The only
>> thing odd is that in In the past they have been sent immediately.
>>
>> If anyone has any insight, I would appreciate it.
>
> I believe it's some sort of bug in the mail sending operations that
> make become unresponsive. See this thread: <http://www.listsearch.com/Lasso/Thread/index.lasso?21781#244631
> >

> --Eric

     Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
              ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print
             Wooden-Boxes.com: Custom Packaging Solutions

ph 403.230.3951         http://www.chromata.com         [hidden email]
fx 403.276.3564         http://www.ePrint-Network.com   [hidden email]
tf 866.430.3951         http://Wooden-boxes.com         [hidden email]

Re: Update 8.5 to 8.5.5 created a Email_Send problem?

Steve Upton
At 1:03 PM -0700 1/22/09, Neil Enock wrote:
>Hi Eric,
>
>Thanks, But that's not it.
>
>My email shows as 'Sent'  it doesn't stay as queued.
>
>I did restart Lasso, and then the entire machine - same issue exists.
>No email coming through!

perhaps it's a DNS problem or somesuch? something causing a delay and then the emails get bumped out?

to avoid situations like this you might want to queue the emails. Then at least you don't lose the emails while you are trouble-shooting the problem...

Steve

Re: Update 8.5 to 8.5.5 created a Email_Send problem?

Neil Enock
Hi Steve,

I suppose it could be, but it happened just after the upgrade to
8.5.5  Nothing else has been altered, DNS, email or website.

The queueing is a good idea, but also limits my ability to test. I can
recreate from data, since it is only the system sent emails that are
not working.

  Even the emails from inside the Lasso Site Admin page don't go
through!

I'm pretty stumped...

Neil

On Jan 22, 2009, at 2:15 PM, Steve Upton wrote:

> At 1:03 PM -0700 1/22/09, Neil Enock wrote:
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> Thanks, But that's not it.
>>
>> My email shows as 'Sent'  it doesn't stay as queued.
>>
>> I did restart Lasso, and then the entire machine - same issue exists.
>> No email coming through!
>
> perhaps it's a DNS problem or somesuch? something causing a delay
> and then the emails get bumped out?
>
> to avoid situations like this you might want to queue the emails.
> Then at least you don't lose the emails while you are trouble-
> shooting the problem...
>
> Steve

     Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
              ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print
             Wooden-Boxes.com: Custom Packaging Solutions

ph 403.230.3951         http://www.chromata.com         [hidden email]
fx 403.276.3564         http://www.ePrint-Network.com   [hidden email]
tf 866.430.3951         http://Wooden-boxes.com         [hidden email]

Re: Update 8.5 to 8.5.5 created a Email_Send problem?

Neil Enock
P.S. I did reboot our DNS Servers as well, but the entire system is
running normally except for the email send issues.

Neil

On Jan 22, 2009, at 2:15 PM, Steve Upton wrote:

> At 1:03 PM -0700 1/22/09, Neil Enock wrote:
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> Thanks, But that's not it.
>>
>> My email shows as 'Sent'  it doesn't stay as queued.
>>
>> I did restart Lasso, and then the entire machine - same issue exists.
>> No email coming through!
>
> perhaps it's a DNS problem or somesuch? something causing a delay
> and then the emails get bumped out?
>
> to avoid situations like this you might want to queue the emails.
> Then at least you don't lose the emails while you are trouble-
> shooting the problem...
>
> Steve

     Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
              ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print
             Wooden-Boxes.com: Custom Packaging Solutions

ph 403.230.3951         http://www.chromata.com         [hidden email]
fx 403.276.3564         http://www.ePrint-Network.com   [hidden email]
tf 866.430.3951         http://Wooden-boxes.com         [hidden email]

Re: Update 8.5 to 8.5.5 created a Email_Send problem?

Eric Landmann
Neil Enock <[hidden email]> wrote on Thursday, January 22, 2009:

>Even the emails from inside the Lasso Site Admin page don't go through!

That's a dead giveaway that something downstream has changed. Do they generate any errors?

--Eric

Re: Update 8.5 to 8.5.5 created a Email_Send problem?

Neil Enock
Nope,

They sit in the queue until I hit 'Try all Queued' or until another
email is sent by the system. Then they are marked as sent.

Here is a log line from the mail server... I can't figure anything out
from it at all.  It makes no sense compared to normal messages.

Neil

On Jan 22, 2009, at 2:38 PM, Eric Landmann wrote:

> Neil Enock <[hidden email]> wrote on Thursday, January 22, 2009:
>
>> Even the emails from inside the Lasso Site Admin page don't go
>> through!
>
> That's a dead giveaway that something downstream has changed. Do
> they generate any errors?
>
> --Eric

     Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
              ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print
             Wooden-Boxes.com: Custom Packaging Solutions

ph 403.230.3951         http://www.chromata.com         [hidden email]
fx 403.276.3564         http://www.ePrint-Network.com   [hidden email]
tf 866.430.3951         http://Wooden-boxes.com         [hidden email]

Re: Update 8.5 to 8.5.5 created a Email_Send problem?

Neil Enock
and now the line...

22 14:21:58[0] del . . <[hidden email]> 0 . "u38709~2,(0,2691)
[1232659018](ip=POP - 66.11.75.61)"

Neil

On Jan 22, 2009, at 2:38 PM, Eric Landmann wrote:

> Neil Enock <[hidden email]> wrote on Thursday, January 22, 2009:
>
>> Even the emails from inside the Lasso Site Admin page don't go
>> through!
>
> That's a dead giveaway that something downstream has changed. Do
> they generate any errors?
>
> --Eric

     Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
              ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print
             Wooden-Boxes.com: Custom Packaging Solutions

ph 403.230.3951         http://www.chromata.com         [hidden email]
fx 403.276.3564         http://www.ePrint-Network.com   [hidden email]
tf 866.430.3951         http://Wooden-boxes.com         [hidden email]

Re: Update 8.5 to 8.5.5 created a Email_Send problem?

Neil Enock
Well I finally have everything running.  It took a sequence of
exporting settings  then deleting lasso entirely, then repairing
permissions,  then fresh installing 8.5.5 and making sure the mail
functions actually worked, then importing the settings and finally it
worked.  Most importantly, between each step a Shutdown, PRAM reset
and Reboot.  I found that if I did not do that at each step, things
somehow persisted.  Perhaps this is a G5, 10.4.11 issue, I don't know,
but I'm glad to be operational again.  Thanks everyone for the help.