UT OH! Apple Product Codename "Lasso"

Marc Pope
Everyone, it looks like Apple is working on a spreadsheet CODE-named
"Lasso". If it becomes the actual name, this will be bad for Lasso as a
community. OP better get on the ball early on this one as it could cause a
lot of branding issues.

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/10/20061011213410.shtml

Marc Pope

Re: UT OH! Apple Product Codename "Lasso"

JP-14
I recall a similar thread on this not too long ago.  I don't know if
OP has talked with Apple yet but I would hope that Apple will check
on "Lasso" and see that it's already in use and use a different name.

jp

On Oct 12, 2006, at 6:25 AM, Marc Pope wrote:

> Everyone, it looks like Apple is working on a spreadsheet CODE-named
> "Lasso". If it becomes the actual name, this will be bad for Lasso
> as a
> community. OP better get on the ball early on this one as it could
> cause a
> lot of branding issues.
>
> http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/10/20061011213410.shtml
>
> Marc Pope

Re: UT OH! Apple Product Codename "Lasso"

Trevor Jacques
>I don't know if OP has talked with Apple yet but I would hope that
>Apple will check on "Lasso" and see that it's already in use and use
>a different name.

If I were Brett, I'd encourage them to keep the name there, with a
caveat that there should be a link to the OP Lasso web page (from all
the Aple and rumours sites). You can't buy that number of eyeballs
without a big hunk o' cash. Remember what Oscar said: "There is only
one thing worse than being talked about...."

;-)

T.

Re: UT OH! Apple Product Codename "Lasso"

Ke Carlton

Does OP own "Lasso" as a trademark for software?

An obvious question, but it does make all the difference.

Ke

>I don't know if OP has talked with Apple yet but I would hope that
>Apple will check on "Lasso" and see that it's already in use and use
>a different name.

If I were Brett, I'd encourage them to keep the name there, with a
caveat that there should be a link to the OP Lasso web page (from all
the Aple and rumours sites). You can't buy that number of eyeballs
without a big hunk o' cash. Remember what Oscar said: "There is only
one thing worse than being talked about...."

;-)

T.

Re: UT OH! Apple Product Codename "Lasso"

Jolle Carlestam
You don't actually have to own it (own as in "registrer"). It's
enough if you can show that the name have a strong association to
your company or product. And since Lasso been around for so long and
is very well known in the developer community I would say that it's
impossible for another company to put that name on a software
product. If Apple where to produce ice-cream and call that Lasso then
that would be a whole other issue. That would be OK.

HDB
JC

12 okt 2006 kl. 15.04 skrev Ke:

> Does OP own "Lasso" as a trademark for software?
>
> An obvious question, but it does make all the difference.
>
> Ke

decorior
Or sell the name to Apple and change the name.

There is always a price :-)

Deco
On Oct 12, 2006, at 7:38 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> You don't actually have to own it (own as in "registrer"). It's
> enough if you can show that the name have a strong association to
> your company or product. And since Lasso been around for so long
> and is very well known in the developer community I would say that
> it's impossible for another company to put that name on a software
> product. If Apple where to produce ice-cream and call that Lasso
> then that would be a whole other issue. That would be OK.
>
> HDB
> JC
>
> 12 okt 2006 kl. 15.04 skrev Ke:
>

>> Does OP own "Lasso" as a trademark for software?
>>
>> An obvious question, but it does make all the difference.
>>
>> Ke

I just did a search of trademarks at the US Patents and Trademark's
website

There are numerous registration of trademarks ...but none
specifically tied to Lasso that we all know from OP.

I would encourage OP to seriously consider trademarking and
copyrighting this.

jp

On Oct 12, 2006, at 9:04 AM, Deco Rior wrote:

> Or sell the name to Apple and change the name.
>
> There is always a price :-)
>
> Deco
> On Oct 12, 2006, at 7:38 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> You don't actually have to own it (own as in "registrer"). It's
>> enough if you can show that the name have a strong association to
>> your company or product. And since Lasso been around for so long
>> and is very well known in the developer community I would say that
>> it's impossible for another company to put that name on a software
>> product. If Apple where to produce ice-cream and call that Lasso
>> then that would be a whole other issue. That would be OK.
>>
>> HDB
>> JC
>>
>> 12 okt 2006 kl. 15.04 skrev Ke:
>>

>>> Does OP own "Lasso" as a trademark for software?
>>>
>>> An obvious question, but it does make all the difference.
>>>
>>> Ke

Chris Tracewell
Trademark law does not actually require you to register the name to
be protected. Registering only makes it much easier when in a
dispute. I am sure Apple is aware of OP/Lasso and will absolutley
release the software under a different name as OP would have zero
problems proving that the Lasso is their Trademark "TM" even if it
has not been Registered "R". As for copyrighting, thats a different
issue altogether and does not apply to tradenames, but rather
creative works like the code that makes up the Lasso product and all
creative works are inherently copyrighted when produced, whether a
picture you take or a poem you write, it is copyrighted at the point
it is created - a copyright cannot be registered, but it is often
suggested to send a copyrighted item to yourself via US Mail and
never open the envelope so that in the case you need to pursue a
lawsuit you can bring the work to court in a sealed and post marked
package to prove the earlier copyright.

Anyway, point is I don't think there's any concerns here, unless
Apple legal are idiots enough to try and release a software product
named Lasso - as they would never be able to prove an earlier use of
that tradename than Blueworlds documented use since the 90's. In fact
the best strategy for OP if they really wanted $ out of this should
Apple proceed with such a name would be to just wait for it to be re-
leased and then sue the $%!@# out of Apple as it would be no contest.

But that won't happen so no worries.

Chris Tracewell
[hidden email]
Sports Merchandise College, MLB, NASCAR, NBA, NFL, NHL
http://www.teammascot.com

On Oct 12, 2006, at 7:22 AM, JP wrote:

> I just did a search of trademarks at the US Patents and Trademark's
> website
>
> There are numerous registration of trademarks ...but none
> specifically tied to Lasso that we all know from OP.
>
> I would encourage OP to seriously consider trademarking and
> copyrighting this.
>
> jp

Re: UT OH! Apple Product Codename "Lasso"

Jon Løvstad
This is, as mentioned, just a codename. It will probably change to
"Numbers" as rumored all over the place. Codenames for Pages and
Keynote were Crossbow, Bazooka (Pages) and Slingshot and Omega
(Keynote) so I doubt they'll keep Lasso. It doesn't even make sense
as a name on that software...

Jon

On 12. okt 2006, at 14.45, Trevor Jacques wrote:

>> I don't know if OP has talked with Apple yet but I would hope that
>> Apple will check on "Lasso" and see that it's already in use and
>> use a different name.
>
> If I were Brett, I'd encourage them to keep the name there, with a
> caveat that there should be a link to the OP Lasso web page (from
> all the Aple and rumours sites). You can't buy that number of
> eyeballs without a big hunk o' cash. Remember what Oscar said:
> "There is only one thing worse than being talked about...."
>
> ;-)
>
> T.

Re: UT OH! Apple Product Codename "Lasso"

Kerry Adams

We have known about this for quite some time now, and we're not concerned
about it in the least for two reasons which have been pointed out here, as
well as in a previous thread:

1. Apple knows we exist (and they're not stupid)

2. It's A: a rumor site, and B: a codename

Frankly, I like their choice ­ it shows that they have really great taste!

:)

Cheers,

Kerry Adams
OmniPilot Software, Inc.
Direct: 954.874.3131 ~ Toll free: 800.678.9958 x131
Fax: 954.874.3110 ~ [hidden email]

Re: UT OH! Apple Product Codename "Lasso"

Bil Corry-3
Kerry Adams wrote:

> We have known about this for quite some time now, and we're not concerned
> about it in the least for two reasons which have been pointed out here, as
> well as in a previous thread:
>
> 1. Apple knows we exist (and they're not stupid)
>
> 2. It's A: a rumor site, and B: a codename

3. Making them change their codename will cause them to call it "BHL"

Re: UT OH! Apple Product Codename "Lasso"

Brett Circe
LOl, nice historical reference!

On Oct 12, 2006, at 2:00 PM, Bil Corry wrote:

> Kerry Adams wrote:
>> We have known about this for quite some time now, and we're not
>> concerned
>> about it in the least for two reasons which have been pointed out
>> here, as
>> well as in a previous thread:
>> 1. Apple knows we exist (and they're not stupid)
>> 2. It's A: a rumor site, and B: a codename
>
> 3. Making them change their codename will cause them to call it "BHL"
>

> - Bil

Brett Circe

Re: UT OH! Apple Product Codename "Lasso"

Grubic, James
Sorry for my repost on the subject. Digest has its disadvantages!

Re: UT OH! Apple Product Codename "Lasso"

Brian Loomis
the codename for lasso 9 is webobjects.

On Oct 12, 2006, at 5:03 PM, James Grubic wrote:

> Sorry for my repost on the subject. Digest has its disadvantages!

Re: UT OH! Apple Product Codename "Lasso"

Adam Randall-4
Actually, it's CFusion ;)

Adam.

On Oct 12, 2006, at 7:13 PM, Brian Loomis wrote:

> the codename for lasso 9 is webobjects.
>
> On Oct 12, 2006, at 5:03 PM, James Grubic wrote:
>
>> Sorry for my repost on the subject. Digest has its disadvantages!

>> lassotalk.lasso?manage

Adam Randall <[hidden email]>
Senior Web Architect
Stork Avenue, Inc.
http://www.storkavenue.com
(800) 861-5437 x137

Re: UT OH! Apple Product Codename "Lasso"

Viaduct Productions
Codename for WO2007 is PHP

On Oct 12, 2006, at 7:13 PM, Brian Loomis wrote:

> the codename for lasso 9 is webobjects.

Re: UT OH! Apple Product Codename "Lasso"

Jono-2
And to make matters worse the codename for PHP 6 is "Lasso"

On 13/10/2006, at 1:24 PM, Rich wrote:

> Codename for WO2007 is PHP
>
> On Oct 12, 2006, at 7:13 PM, Brian Loomis wrote:
>
>> the codename for lasso 9 is webobjects.

Jono

// ---------------------------------------------------------
/*
     Jonathan Guthrie
     xServe Ltd, Wellington NZ
     [hidden email]   |   http://xserve.co.nz
     DDI +64 4 978 7388   |   Mob +64 21 678890

*/

Re: UT OH! Apple Product Codename "Lasso"

On a serious note, I think I saw that ROR is included with Leopard
server

Deco