Totally [OT]: excel count based on value

Totally [OT]: excel count based on value

shelane
In MS Excel, if I have a column that contains a character (Y, N), is there a
way to apply a count all "Y" values, count all "N" values?

I'm not great at excel, but I'm hoping someone might have this little trick.

Re: Totally [OT]: excel count based on value

Douglas Burchard
On Nov 6, 2009, at 9:01 AM, Shelane Enos wrote:

> In MS Excel, if I have a column that contains a character (Y, N), is
> there a
> way to apply a count all "Y" values, count all "N" values?
>
> I'm not great at excel, but I'm hoping someone might have this
> little trick.

You're looking for COUNTIF

You can count cells that meet a specific criterion. In this example
only the Pen orders will be counted.

        • Select the cell in which you want to see the count
        • Type an equal sign (=) to start the formula
        • Type:   COUNTIF(
        • Select the cells that contain the values to check for the criterion.
        • Type a comma, to separate the arguments
        • Type the criterion ("Y" vs. "N").
        • Type a closing bracket
                The completed formula will be something like: =COUNTIF(A1:A10,"Y")
        • Press the Enter key to complete the entry
        • The result will be the number of cells that contain "Y"

Also, the condition will be case insensitive.

--
Douglas Burchard, President
DouglasBurchard.com, Web Applications

direct: (206) 227-8161
[hidden email]
http://www.douglasburchard.com/

On Nov 6, 2009, at 9:07 AM, Douglas Burchard wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2009, at 9:01 AM, Shelane Enos wrote:
>
>> In MS Excel, if I have a column that contains a character (Y, N),
>> is there a
>> way to apply a count all "Y" values, count all "N" values?
>>
>> I'm not great at excel, but I'm hoping someone might have this
>> little trick.
>
> You're looking for COUNTIF

(I hit "send" too quickly) I should have said that I paraphrased this
from:

        <http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions04.html#countif>

--
Douglas Burchard, President
DouglasBurchard.com, Web Applications
15024 NE 66th Street
Redmond, WA  98052, USA

direct: (206) 227-8161
[hidden email]
http://www.douglasburchard.com/

Re: Totally [OT]: excel count based on value

shelane
Worked perfectly. Thanks!