[Thread_GetCurrentID]

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Thread_GetCurrentID]

Nikolaj de Fine Licht
Hi List,

I'm not sure I understand how to get the id of a thread, for example  
in order to change its priority.

I have an async tag, and I would like to set its priority to low. The  
docs say [Thread_GetCurrentID]: "Returns the ID of the currently  
executing thread", but how can I be sure that the current thread for  
which I retrieve the id really *is my tag? Is it just a question of  
applying the tag right after my async tag has been called or what is  
the logic here?

/nikolaj

_____________________________________
Nikolaj de Fine Licht  •  Music&Media
Web Solutions for Cultural Businesses
http://www.musicmedia.dk



--
This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
Search the list archives: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/Browse/
Manage your subscription: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Thread_GetCurrentID]

Greg Willits-2
On Jun 23, 2007, at 9:34 PM, Nikolaj de Fine Licht wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand how to get the id of a thread, for  
> example in order to change its priority.
>
> I have an async tag, and I would like to set its priority to low.  
> The docs say [Thread_GetCurrentID]: "Returns the ID of the  
> currently executing thread", but how can I be sure that the current  
> thread for which I retrieve the id really *is my tag? Is it just a  
> question of applying the tag right after my async tag has been  
> called or what is the logic here?

Sounds like that tag would have to be called from within the async  
code itself. So, you tag gets its own current ID and sets itself as a  
lower priority. Reading the dcs that what I get out of it.


-- gw


--
This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
Search the list archives: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/Browse/
Manage your subscription: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Thread_GetCurrentID]

Fletcher Sandbeck-3
In reply to this post by Nikolaj de Fine Licht
On 6/24/07 at 6:34 AM, [hidden email] (Nikolaj de Fine
Licht) wrote:

>I'm not sure I understand how to get the id of a thread, for example
>in order to change its priority.
>
>I have an async tag, and I would like to set its priority to low. The
>docs say [Thread_GetCurrentID]: "Returns the ID of the currently
>executing thread", but how can I be sure that the current thread for
>which I retrieve the id really *is my tag? Is it just a question of
>applying the tag right after my async tag has been called or what is
>the logic here?

When [Thread_GetCurrentID] is called in your tag it will return
the ID of the thread the tag is running in.  For asynchronous
tags this will be a separate thread from the one which spawned
it.  You can view the Utility > Threads section to see what
threads are running.  You should see your asynchronous tag
listed there.

This tag sets its priority to low and then sleeps for ten
seconds.  If you trigger it and then visit the Utility > Threads
section you should see it there with a low priority.

define_tag: 'async', -async;
   thread_setpriority: thread_getcurrentid, thread_priority_low;
   sleep: 10000;
/define_tag;
async;

Hope this helps,

[fletcher]

--
Fletcher Sandbeck                         [hidden email]
LassoSoft, LLC                          http://www.lassosoft.com


--
This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
Search the list archives: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/Browse/
Manage your subscription: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Thread_GetCurrentID]

Nikolaj de Fine Licht
Thank you Fletcher, works exactly as you describe. I think it would  
be useful to add your example to the documentation.

/nikolaj

On 24. jun 2007, at 14:47, Fletcher Sandbeck wrote:

> This tag sets its priority to low and then sleeps for ten seconds.  
> If you trigger it and then visit the Utility > Threads section you  
> should see it there with a low priority.
>
> define_tag: 'async', -async;
>   thread_setpriority: thread_getcurrentid, thread_priority_low;
>   sleep: 10000;
> /define_tag;
> async;

_____________________________________
Nikolaj de Fine Licht  •  Music&Media
Web Solutions for Cultural Businesses
http://www.musicmedia.dk



--
This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
Search the list archives: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/Browse/
Manage your subscription: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[OT] Data recovery utility recommendation

Rick Draper
Hi All,

We are a predominantly Windows environment, but have a couple of Macs
for testing purposes.  A friend with a G5 suffered a critical failure of
his hard drive and has given it to me to see what (if anything) can be
salvaged... Another person learns the back-up lesson too late.  Using a
USB adapter kit we usually use for Windows machines, I managed to attach
the damaged drive to an iMac and after downloading and installing a copy
of DiskWarrior have gotten half way through a rebuild, but no further.

Can I ask all the Mac specialists out there if you can recommend any
other utilities (preferably available for purchase/download) that may
assist with recovering data from this drive?


Thanks and very best regards,
 
Rick

--
This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
Search the list archives: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/Browse/
Manage your subscription: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Data recovery utility recommendation

Johan Solve
On 6/25/07, Rick Draper <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can I ask all the Mac specialists out there if you can recommend any
> other utilities (preferably available for purchase/download) that may
> assist with recovering data from this drive?

DataRescue is good.
http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue_info.php



--
     Johan Sölve    [FSA Partner, Lasso Partner]
     Web Application/Lasso/FileMaker Developer
     MONTANIA SOFTWARE & SOLUTIONS
http://www.montania.se   mailto:[hidden email]
 (spam-safe email address, replace '-' with 'a')

--
This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
Search the list archives: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/Browse/
Manage your subscription: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Data recovery utility recommendation

Mr. Bret Williams
I agree. I had an emergency once and d/l'd all I could find (and  
bought several, too), and DataRescue was absolutely the best.

On Jun 24, 2007, at 11:16 PM, Johan Solve wrote:

> On 6/25/07, Rick Draper <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Can I ask all the Mac specialists out there if you can recommend any
>> other utilities (preferably available for purchase/download) that may
>> assist with recovering data from this drive?
>
> DataRescue is good.
> http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue_info.php
>
>
>
> --
>     Johan Sölve    [FSA Partner, Lasso Partner]
>     Web Application/Lasso/FileMaker Developer
>     MONTANIA SOFTWARE & SOLUTIONS
> http://www.montania.se   mailto:[hidden email]
> (spam-safe email address, replace '-' with 'a')
>
> --
> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
> Search the list archives: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/Browse/
> Manage your subscription: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/
>


Bret Williams
Novusweb

www.Novusweb.com

760.942.3773 voice
866.668.8793 toll-free

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail document, including all  
attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may  
contain confidential and privileged information.  If you are not the  
intended recipient, you may NOT use, disclose, copy, or disseminate  
this information.  Please contact the sender by reply immediately and  
destroy all copies of the original message including all  
attachments.  Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.




--
This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
Search the list archives: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/Browse/
Manage your subscription: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Data recovery utility recommendation

Marc Vos-3
In reply to this post by Rick Draper
Hey Rick,

It depends on what is the matter. If the arms of the drive don't go  
further, you might try to put the magnetic discs into a similar new  
drive and see if you retrieve the data that way. There are also  
companies who specialize in data recovery from any failure :

Dutch companies : http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.nl/, http://
www.aigon.nl/

Here's some DYI info : http://www.debianadmin.com/recover-data-from-a- 
dead-hard-drive-using-ddrescue.html

Or maybe this : http://www.prosofteng.com/products/drive_genius_info.php

- -
Marc

On 25-jun-2007, at 06:34, Rick Draper wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We are a predominantly Windows environment, but have a couple of Macs
> for testing purposes.  A friend with a G5 suffered a critical  
> failure of
> his hard drive and has given it to me to see what (if anything) can be
> salvaged... Another person learns the back-up lesson too late.  
> Using a
> USB adapter kit we usually use for Windows machines, I managed to  
> attach
> the damaged drive to an iMac and after downloading and installing a  
> copy
> of DiskWarrior have gotten half way through a rebuild, but no further.
>
> Can I ask all the Mac specialists out there if you can recommend any
> other utilities (preferably available for purchase/download) that may
> assist with recovering data from this drive?
>
>
> Thanks and very best regards,
>
> Rick
>
> --
> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
> Search the list archives: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/Browse/
> Manage your subscription: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/
>


--
This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
Search the list archives: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/Browse/
Manage your subscription: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Data recovery utility recommendation

Mark Palmer
In reply to this post by Rick Draper
Risky business but I've read stories of people giving a drive a sharp  
knock to free a sticking mechanism, and also leaving a drive in a  
fridge overnight and trying it the following morning.

All depends how desperate your getting.


On 25 Jun 2007, at 05:34, Rick Draper wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We are a predominantly Windows environment, but have a couple of Macs
> for testing purposes.  A friend with a G5 suffered a critical  
> failure of
> his hard drive and has given it to me to see what (if anything) can be
> salvaged... Another person learns the back-up lesson too late.  
> Using a
> USB adapter kit we usually use for Windows machines, I managed to  
> attach
> the damaged drive to an iMac and after downloading and installing a  
> copy
> of DiskWarrior have gotten half way through a rebuild, but no further.
>
> Can I ask all the Mac specialists out there if you can recommend any
> other utilities (preferably available for purchase/download) that may
> assist with recovering data from this drive?
>
>
> Thanks and very best regards,
>
> Rick
>
> --
> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
> Search the list archives: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/Browse/
> Manage your subscription: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/
>






Regards

Mark Palmer
E: [hidden email]
T: 01902 620500
W: www.pageworks.co.uk




--
This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
Search the list archives: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/Browse/
Manage your subscription: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Data recovery utility recommendation

Gary Clark-2
Yep, I was once told by a component level engineer to "whack it 'flat'
on a desk, do not be afraid, give it a nice whack". THIS WAS AS MY LAST
ATTEMPT!!!!, but it worked, we got the drive up a further two times and
got all the data off, then it failed completely!

It scared the life out of me, but if you have no other options, and you
suspect it is the arm that is stuck (Clicking noise and no drive
activity), give it a go and see!

REPEAT: Only, if you have tried all the other options!!!

Gary



On 25 Jun 2007, at 09:33, Mark Palmer wrote:

> Risky business but I've read stories of people giving a drive a sharp
> knock to free a sticking mechanism, and also leaving a drive in a
> fridge overnight and trying it the following morning.
>
> All depends how desperate your getting.
>
>
> On 25 Jun 2007, at 05:34, Rick Draper wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> We are a predominantly Windows environment, but have a couple of Macs
>> for testing purposes.  A friend with a G5 suffered a critical failure
>> of
>> his hard drive and has given it to me to see what (if anything) can be
>> salvaged... Another person learns the back-up lesson too late.  Using
>> a
>> USB adapter kit we usually use for Windows machines, I managed to
>> attach
>> the damaged drive to an iMac and after downloading and installing a
>> copy
>> of DiskWarrior have gotten half way through a rebuild, but no further.
>>
>> Can I ask all the Mac specialists out there if you can recommend any
>> other utilities (preferably available for purchase/download) that may
>> assist with recovering data from this drive?
>>
>>
>> Thanks and very best regards,
>>
>> Rick
>>
>> --
>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
>> Search the list archives: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/Browse/
>> Manage your subscription: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Regards
>
> Mark Palmer
> E: [hidden email]
> T: 01902 620500
> W: www.pageworks.co.uk
>
>
>
>
> --
> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
> Search the list archives: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/Browse/
> Manage your subscription: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/
>
>


--
This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
Search the list archives: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/Browse/
Manage your subscription: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Data recovery utility recommendation

Clive Bruton
In reply to this post by Mark Palmer

On 25 Jun 2007, at 09:33, Mark Palmer wrote:

> Risky business but I've read stories of people giving a drive a  
> sharp knock to free a sticking mechanism

I've moved the spindle on a drive before to get it moving, where it  
was previously not spinning (spindle was actually exposed on the  
outside of the drive) - this enabled someone to reinstall the drive  
and get the data off. But that doesn't sound like what the problem is  
here.


-- Clive

--
This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
Search the list archives: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/Browse/
Manage your subscription: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Data recovery utility recommendation

Rick Draper
Thanks to everyone who responded.  

I am going to give DataRescue a try and move from there.  The drive
isn't making loud complaining noises, but is certainly not performing
mechanically, so a thump on the desk and night in the refrigerator may
yet be on the agenda.


Thanks again, and very best regards,
 
Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: Lasso Talk [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Clive
Bruton
Sent: Tuesday, 26 June 2007 1:09 AM
To: Lasso Talk
Subject: Re: [OT] Data recovery utility recommendation


On 25 Jun 2007, at 09:33, Mark Palmer wrote:

> Risky business but I've read stories of people giving a drive a sharp
> knock to free a sticking mechanism

I've moved the spindle on a drive before to get it moving, where it was
previously not spinning (spindle was actually exposed on the outside of
the drive) - this enabled someone to reinstall the drive and get the
data off. But that doesn't sound like what the problem is here.


-- Clive

--
This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
Search the list archives: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/Browse/
Manage your subscription: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Data recovery utility recommendation

James Grubic
In reply to this post by Rick Draper
Data Rescue has saved the proverbial bacon on a couple of occasions.

For clicking drives...I notice people are saying fridge; I typically
wrap the drive up well, put it in a zip lock bag, then let it sit in the
freezer for a few hours. I've noticed only about a 50% success rate with
the freezer trick. Sometimes it's enough to get the data off before it
fails for good.

Obviously, you can't safely recommend these types of procedures, so use
at your own risk.


James


--
This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
Search the list archives: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/Browse/
Manage your subscription: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Data recovery utility recommendation

Rick Draper
Hi James,

DataRescue is definitely getting me to the starting line, where other
tools had failed, but we have yet to have any actual success beyond
grabbing a few files by ending a scan early. If the scan is let to run
(estimated time 141 hours!) it eventually snags and I have to force quit
DataRescue - and scan early / abort scan don't work once it hits a given
point.

After not getting success with the refrigerator I tried the whack on the
desk, manually moving the arm (yes... Things are at the end of the
line), but it was an hour in the freezer and that allowed the scan to
run for longer, but still locked up after 10 hours or so...

So today the drive is back in the freezer and I plan on letting it run
for a couple of hours well before it snags and get what I can.  I will
then try it again until it fails completely (which looks like being
sooner rather than later).

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions, and particularly the
pointer to DataRescue and the refrigerator!


Very best regards,
 
Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: Lasso Talk [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of James
Grubic
Sent: Wednesday, 27 June 2007 12:51 AM
To: Lasso Talk
Subject: Re: [OT] Data recovery utility recommendation

Data Rescue has saved the proverbial bacon on a couple of occasions.

For clicking drives...I notice people are saying fridge; I typically
wrap the drive up well, put it in a zip lock bag, then let it sit in the
freezer for a few hours. I've noticed only about a 50% success rate with
the freezer trick. Sometimes it's enough to get the data off before it
fails for good.

Obviously, you can't safely recommend these types of procedures, so use
at your own risk.


James


--
This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
Search the list archives: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/Browse/
Manage your subscription: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/




--
This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
Search the list archives: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/Browse/
Manage your subscription: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Data recovery utility recommendation

Johan Solve
On 6/26/07, Rick Draper <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So today the drive is back in the freezer and I plan on letting it run
> for a couple of hours well before it snags and get what I can.

Can you run the drive inside the freezer, or keep it really cool while
running it by some other means? (like putting it between a few freezer
packs)
This might help you get some more running time out of it.

--
     Johan Sölve    [FSA Partner, Lasso Partner]
     Web Application/Lasso/FileMaker Developer
     MONTANIA SOFTWARE & SOLUTIONS
http://www.montania.se   mailto:[hidden email]
 (spam-safe email address, replace '-' with 'a')

--
This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
Search the list archives: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/Browse/
Manage your subscription: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Data recovery utility recommendation

Rick Draper
Hi Johan,

What a great suggestion... The drive is now running in the freezer!!  We will see how it goes.


Very best regards,
 
Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: Lasso Talk [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Johan Solve
Sent: Wednesday, 27 June 2007 5:39 AM
To: Lasso Talk
Subject: Re: [OT] Data recovery utility recommendation

On 6/26/07, Rick Draper <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So today the drive is back in the freezer and I plan on letting it run
> for a couple of hours well before it snags and get what I can.

Can you run the drive inside the freezer, or keep it really cool while running it by some other means? (like putting it between a few freezer
packs)
This might help you get some more running time out of it.

--
     Johan Sölve    [FSA Partner, Lasso Partner]
     Web Application/Lasso/FileMaker Developer
     MONTANIA SOFTWARE & SOLUTIONS
http://www.montania.se   mailto:[hidden email]
 (spam-safe email address, replace '-' with 'a')

--
This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
Search the list archives: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/Browse/
Manage your subscription: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/