Thanks for LDC Toronto

Jolle Carlestam-3
3+ amazing and intense days of Lasso Developer Conferencing is over.

For me they were a real boost in inspiration! It will take me a long time before I master all the new stuff I've learned.

Thank you Lassosoft for arranging this! Especially Rachel for making this the best organized and best composed LDC ever.
And thank you Kyle and Jono et al for all that amazing new stuff that you showed us.
Sean, you're truly the right man for your job. I'm full of confidence that you will make sure Lasso continue to be the best of the best.

Thanks to all the speakers and fellow participants. You're all an awesome crowd and I love being in the same room as you. The presentations ranged from really good to incredible. That's a really good score!

An event like this need sponsors. Thank you Treefrog, I love you all! Your presence added a golden touch. Thanks ANU, we all missed you Chris. But it's good to know you're still a Lasso supporter and continue to offer your excellent services. I promise you that you did get some good exposure during the event and an increased awareness in all participants mind. I'm thanking HP too. You offered good insights into what to demand from a high quality, high accessible server environment. And it's ensuring to know you're a Lasso friend.

I'm sure that this was not the last LDC and I'm without a doubt going to attend the next one. I urge you all that missed the event this year to not make the same mistake again.

Oh, and thank you Steve for giving the Lasso world a new expression. Being steved is something I hope will never happen to me. Also thank you for not being sick on my bed when you came home last night, or should I say, this morning...

Re: Thanks for LDC Toronto

Brad Lindsay-2
On May 28, 2012, at 2:44 AM, Jolle Carlestam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm sure that this was not the last LDC and I'm without a doubt going to attend the next one. I urge you all that missed the event this year to not make the same mistake again.

I would like to echo everything Jolle said, but I especially want to emphasize this point. This was my first LDC, and I would urge everyone who missed it to do you best not to miss the next one. Yes, you'll be able to watch the presentations, but even doing that you will have still missed out on at least 60-70% of the conference.

Thanks to all!
Brad

Re: Thanks for LDC Toronto

It sounds like it was a great conference, and I am glad someone from our company finally got to attend. The most exciting feedback that I heard was the true power of Lasso 9 and possibilities was exposed.

We are very excited about accelerating our migration to this new platform.

Deco

On May 28, 2012, at 12:44 AM, Jolle Carlestam wrote:

> 3+ amazing and intense days of Lasso Developer Conferencing is over.
>
> For me they were a real boost in inspiration! It will take me a long time before I master all the new stuff I've learned.
>
> Thank you Lassosoft for arranging this! Especially Rachel for making this the best organized and best composed LDC ever.
> And thank you Kyle and Jono et al for all that amazing new stuff that you showed us.
> Sean, you're truly the right man for your job. I'm full of confidence that you will make sure Lasso continue to be the best of the best.
>
> Thanks to all the speakers and fellow participants. You're all an awesome crowd and I love being in the same room as you. The presentations ranged from really good to incredible. That's a really good score!
>
> An event like this need sponsors. Thank you Treefrog, I love you all! Your presence added a golden touch. Thanks ANU, we all missed you Chris. But it's good to know you're still a Lasso supporter and continue to offer your excellent services. I promise you that you did get some good exposure during the event and an increased awareness in all participants mind. I'm thanking HP too. You offered good insights into what to demand from a high quality, high accessible server environment. And it's ensuring to know you're a Lasso friend.
>
> I'm sure that this was not the last LDC and I'm without a doubt going to attend the next one. I urge you all that missed the event this year to not make the same mistake again.
>
> Oh, and thank you Steve for giving the Lasso world a new expression. Being steved is something I hope will never happen to me. Also thank you for not being sick on my bed when you came home last night, or should I say, this morning...
>
> HDB
> Jolle

Re: Thanks for LDC Toronto

Jim Leavitt-2
+1

Great time had by all.  Learned a lot and cannot wait for the next one.

Thanks again to all.

Jim

On 2012-05-28, at 2:44 AM, Jolle Carlestam wrote:

> 3+ amazing and intense days of Lasso Developer Conferencing is over.
>
> For me they were a real boost in inspiration! It will take me a long time before I master all the new stuff I've learned.
>
> Thank you Lassosoft for arranging this! Especially Rachel for making this the best organized and best composed LDC ever.
> And thank you Kyle and Jono et al for all that amazing new stuff that you showed us.
> Sean, you're truly the right man for your job. I'm full of confidence that you will make sure Lasso continue to be the best of the best.
>
> Thanks to all the speakers and fellow participants. You're all an awesome crowd and I love being in the same room as you. The presentations ranged from really good to incredible. That's a really good score!
>
> An event like this need sponsors. Thank you Treefrog, I love you all! Your presence added a golden touch. Thanks ANU, we all missed you Chris. But it's good to know you're still a Lasso supporter and continue to offer your excellent services. I promise you that you did get some good exposure during the event and an increased awareness in all participants mind. I'm thanking HP too. You offered good insights into what to demand from a high quality, high accessible server environment. And it's ensuring to know you're a Lasso friend.
>
> I'm sure that this was not the last LDC and I'm without a doubt going to attend the next one. I urge you all that missed the event this year to not make the same mistake again.
>
> Oh, and thank you Steve for giving the Lasso world a new expression. Being steved is something I hope will never happen to me. Also thank you for not being sick on my bed when you came home last night, or should I say, this morning...
>
> HDB
> Jolle

Re: Thanks for LDC Toronto

On 5/28/12 at 9:06 AM, [hidden email] (Brad Lindsay) pronounced:

>This was my first LDC, and I would urge everyone who missed it to do you best
>not to miss the next one. Yes, you'll be able to watch the presentations, but
>even doing that you will have still missed out on at least 60-70% of the
>conference.

Beyond the conference sessions, I'd recommend that folks sign up
for the training sessions and attend the sprint.  The training
sessions gave attendees an opportunity to get individualized
attention.  During the sprint going on right now (stop by in
LassoChat), we're sharing how we work and do things the right
way for specific conditions, tweaking our systems to work
properly, and hacking away on our projects.  That's really hard
to do over great distances and different time zones.  Being
physically present in the same room makes it so much easier to
get things done.

-- --
Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder
Soquel, CA

Re: Thanks for LDC Toronto

Tom Langton-2
+ 1 on all Jolle said.

Other observations:

#1 thing no one said anything about: Sean's hair! (Sean - really?)

#1 low point - the suit from HP (ugh - if he said "cloud" one more
time...) - clueless as to whom the audience he addressed was. I think
we're much more spiritually akin to Messrs. Hewlett and Packard than he'll
ever know. Biz speak and buzzwords really don't impress us. The FileMaker
guy, too. More Cupertino Corporate Casual - but what does any of this cool
new FM12 and IOS stuff have to do with Lasso? At least he showed up at the
Awards Dinner.
Enough on the lows.

#1 high point - and I've had a day to reflect, and I'm not advocating
drinking the Kool-Aid - but knowing, by first person witness, that Lasso
is really alive and well and has business brain that recognizes the
hurdles and has a plan of attack for a few years out.

#1 Rhino in the room - (I'm generally not an all caps kind of guy, but)
DOCUMENTATION!!! This was brought up over and over again. I've whined
about it here a couple times in the past. A real, indexed, printable PDF,
or available through 3rd party print-on-demand bound paper document must
be done and soon. Yeah, hire a technical writer. Now. I am more like a lot
of folks who typically don't show up a conference, who sit there and
happily plod through the documentation until I get it. Web docs don't do
it. I need to be able to write in the margins and salt a book with
post-its. It's the way I work.
Many times at the pre-conferrence and conference proper a new tag was
mentioned, or a Lasso 9 way of doing things. Got back to my room, went on
the site to look for it - zip - nada - nothing. For Sean, maybe it's a
chicken and egg thing, to me and my less sophisticated brethren, it's the
air. We need it. Really. Or we all die.

I am the lone Lasso guy at my company. I work with 5 or 6 PHP folks (long
story: briefly, I was there first and my sites still work and are heavily
trafficked - PHP sites were inherited and needed to get up to speed
shortly after inheritance - no time to recode them). They're smart folks
and open to doing things faster and better (and mostly way brighter, and
younger than me). I can evangelize till I'm blue in the face, but without
the dox, how can I show them anything? "Lasso 9 is faster, more secure and
easier to code," and then I'm done, without documentation. Anecdotes will
not cut it.

Trivial but interesting points: I now know that Jolle is pronounced
"Yally" (rhymes with "Wally" but starting with a Y)(Jolle should get the
best presenter award - he's certainly the most entertaining) and Ke is
pronounced like the stamped metal slab that works a lock, "key."
Otherwise, personally a pleasure to attend, as a long time lurker here, to
now be able to associate faces with names I've seen for a long time on
this list .

Lastly, the city of Toronto. Wow. I am an archetypically jaded New York
City guy. I spent 5 hours on a bicycle touring all over and taking lots of
photos Thursday afternoon, between pre-conference and conference proper
(which I'll post when they're developed - I'm also an unapologetic filmy,
with a big-assed ASLR). Mostly geologically flat, lots cool old
neighborhoods - largest threat to my personal safety were the trolly
tracks, from which I deftly avoided doom. Walked around a lot. Great Art
Museum, food, parks...
Left the hotel immediately at the end of the last session yesterday, with
3 hours till my plane took off, planning to take the subway (a/k/a metro)
to the airport. The hotel elevators exit into the subway system.
Everything was locked. The Subway was closed on Sunday (WHAT! Who closes a
subway system on Sunday!?!) No fewer than 5 friendly, helpful folks got me
pointed in the right direction to get to the bus. Made it to the airport
with more than enough time for one more leisurely ale.

So now I'm home again and my worst fear is realized - my brain is bruised,
but in a good way, with lots of new things to think about and try to do.
Thanks to all attendees for being open, helpful, friendly and honest. I am
reminded now a bit, of Lasso's current state, of how people would dismiss
the Mac in '86 as a "toy." - PHP currently playing the role of the C
prompt (Kids, ask your parents about the C prompt). Where's your C prompt
now, mofo? (I sincerely hope I'm not dreaming.)

Great regards and thanks to all,

Tom Langton

On 5/28/12 2:44 AM, "Jolle Carlestam" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>3+ amazing and intense days of Lasso Developer Conferencing is over.

Re: Thanks for LDC Toronto

bfr00
Didn't go; but I'm curious: who was the FileMaker rep?

Bruce Robertson

On May 28, 2012, at 11:12 AM, Tom Langton wrote:

> + 1 on all Jolle said.
>
> Other observations:
>
> #1 thing no one said anything about: Sean's hair! (Sean - really?)
>
> #1 low point - the suit from HP (ugh - if he said "cloud" one more
> time...) - clueless as to whom the audience he addressed was. I think
> we're much more spiritually akin to Messrs. Hewlett and Packard than he'll
> ever know. Biz speak and buzzwords really don't impress us. The FileMaker
> guy, too. More Cupertino Corporate Casual - but what does any of this cool
> new FM12 and IOS stuff have to do with Lasso? At least he showed up at the
> Awards Dinner.
> Enough on the lows.

Re: Thanks for LDC Toronto

Mason Miller
This was my first conference in 6 or 7 years and it was the best, as far as I am concerned. Thanks to everyone who presented!

Mason

On May 28, 2012, at 9:06 AM, Brad Lindsay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On May 28, 2012, at 2:44 AM, Jolle Carlestam <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm sure that this was not the last LDC and I'm without a doubt going to attend the next one. I urge you all that missed the event this year to not make the same mistake again.
>
> I would like to echo everything Jolle said, but I especially want to emphasize this point. This was my first LDC, and I would urge everyone who missed it to do you best not to miss the next one. Yes, you'll be able to watch the presentations, but even doing that you will have still missed out on at least 60-70% of the conference.
>
> Thanks to all!
> Brad

Re: Thanks for LDC Toronto

Jolle Carlestam-3
On 2012-05-28, at 2:12 PM, Tom Langton wrote:

> I now know that Jolle is pronounced "Yally" (rhymes with "Wally" but starting with a Y)

Ah, actually that's not the way my name is spoken back home. But it's ok, as long as the E is there in some form at the end, I'm happy. It's not, and I wont listen to, Joel or Juel etc. I am NOT french.

> (Jolle should get the best presenter award - he's certainly the most entertaining)

Well, thank you! I hoped at least one person in the crowd would understand my jokes.

RE: Thanks for LDC Toronto

Rick Draper-2
> Well, thank you! I hoped at least one person in the crowd would understand my jokes.

I read somewhere that they were described as "quirky" ... very sorry I couldn't be there for the liver presentation.

Very best regards,

Rick

Re: Thanks for LDC Toronto

On 5/28/12 at 2:12 PM, [hidden email] (Tom Langton) pronounced:

>#1 thing no one said anything about: Sean's hair! (Sean - really?)

It's Sean's way of making a Zuckerberg fashion statement.  ;)

>#1 low point - the suit from HP (ugh - if he said "cloud" one more
>time...) - clueless as to whom the audience he addressed was. I think
>we're much more spiritually akin to Messrs. Hewlett and Packard than he'll
>ever know. Biz speak and buzzwords really don't impress us. The FileMaker
>guy, too. More Cupertino Corporate Casual - but what does any of this cool
>new FM12 and IOS stuff have to do with Lasso? At least he showed up at the
>Awards Dinner.

Some day when my business is all growed up, I will use cloud
services.  It's reassuring that LassoSoft has forged a
relationship with HP to provide such services.  Today I can say,
"HP and LS have a relationship to provide enterprise level
solutions," which does a great deal to assuage the fears of
going with a language that lacks name recognition in the broader market.

>#1 high point - and I've had a day to reflect, and I'm not advocating
>drinking the Kool-Aid - but knowing, by first person witness, that Lasso
>is really alive and well and has business brain that recognizes the
>hurdles and has a plan of attack for a few years out.

In addition, not only does LS promise to do deliver things, but
they have delivered them.  I've been clamoring for an IDE with a
working debugger for years, LS listened, and LS has delivered
the Lasso Lab IDE.  LS has proven their integrity.

>#1 Rhino in the room - (I'm generally not an all caps kind of guy, but)
>DOCUMENTATION!!! This was brought up over and over again. I've whined
>about it here a couple times in the past. A real, indexed, printable PDF,
>or available through 3rd party print-on-demand bound paper document must
>be done and soon. Yeah, hire a technical writer. Now. I am more like a lot
>of folks who typically don't show up a conference, who sit there and
>happily plod through the documentation until I get it. Web docs don't do
>it. I need to be able to write in the margins and salt a book with
>post-its. It's the way I work.

In addition to a PDF of the Language Guide, I'd like a local
Language Reference, similar to the previous LP8
Reference.LassoApp that could be installed with each Lasso
Site.  As it is now, you must have an Internet connection to
reach the Language Reference.

>Many times at the pre-conferrence and conference proper a new tag was
>mentioned, or a Lasso 9 way of doing things. Got back to my room, went on
>the site to look for it - zip - nada - nothing. For Sean, maybe it's a
>chicken and egg thing, to me and my less sophisticated brethren, it's the
>air. We need it. Really. Or we all die.

If you find zip, then please send an email to LassoTalk.
Someone may be able to point you to an existing resource, or it
would at least notify LS that something needs to have a higher priority.

>Lastly, the city of Toronto. Wow. I am an archetypically jaded New York
>City guy. I spent 5 hours on a bicycle touring all over and taking lots of
>photos Thursday afternoon, between pre-conference and conference proper
>(which I'll post when they're developed - I'm also an unapologetic filmy,
>with a big-assed ASLR). Mostly geologically flat, lots cool old
>neighborhoods - largest threat to my personal safety were the trolly
>tracks, from which I deftly avoided doom. Walked around a lot. Great Art
>Museum, food, parks...

Toronto is a fabulous city.  It's a great place to ride
bicycles, especially up the Don Valley Parkway path along the
river.  It's clean, lovely weather this time of year, beautiful
artwork and architecture, excellent restaurants....

-- --

On 2012-05-28, at 4:18 PM, Rick Draper wrote:

>> Well, thank you! I hoped at least one person in the crowd would understand my jokes.
>
> I read somewhere that they were described as "quirky" ... very sorry I couldn't be there for the liver presentation.

The guy who introduced the quirky description to the world longs for a LIVER presentation?!

Maybe a good thing you weren't here, Rick...

Re: Thanks for LDC Toronto

Tami Williams
FM Rep David Pong

On May 28, 2012, at 2:18 PM, Bruce Robertson wrote:

> Didn't go; but I'm curious: who was the FileMaker rep?
>
> Bruce Robertson

Re: Thanks for LDC Toronto

Eric Knibbe
On 2012-05-28, at 4:20 PM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:

> It's clean, lovely weather this time of year, beautiful artwork and architecture, excellent restaurants....

... and everything under construction, including the subway.
‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐✂‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
Eric3

Re: Thanks for LDC Toronto

Jolle Carlestam-3
On 2012-05-28, at 4:35 PM, Jolle Carlestam wrote:

>> I read somewhere that they were described as "quirky" ... very sorry I couldn't be there for the liver presentation.
>
> The guy who introduced the quirky description to the world longs for a LIVER presentation?!
>
> Maybe a good thing you weren't here, Rick...

Then again, both Steve and Mason did their best to expose their liver to the world...

Re: Thanks for LDC Toronto

Jolle Carlestam-3
On 2012-05-28, at 4:55 PM, Eric Knibbe wrote:

> Eric3

Eric, where are the pictures?

Re: Thanks for LDC Toronto

Ke Carlton-3
Not my thing — but FM have got some really impressive things on the go. The
demo caught my attention — performance improvements (server / desktop) and
a lot of focus on iPad and media.

Ke

On 28 May 2012 16:39, Tami Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FM Rep David Pong
>
> On May 28, 2012, at 2:18 PM, Bruce Robertson wrote:
>
> > Didn't go; but I'm curious: who was the FileMaker rep?
> >
> > Bruce Robertson

Re: Thanks for LDC Toronto

Mason Miller
Funny, I think Sean's hair made me feel more comfortable. I spent years playing in bands, and working with artists. I think Sean is creative and we, Lasso folks, need that.

Mason

On 2012-05-28, at 5:28 PM, Mason Miller wrote:

> I think Sean is creative and we, Lasso folks, need that.

HEAR, HEAR!

Re: Thanks for LDC Toronto

Jonathan Guthrie-3
On 2012-05-28, at 4:20 PM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:

> On 5/28/12 at 2:12 PM, [hidden email] (Tom Langton) pronounced:
>> #1 thing no one said anything about: Sean's hair! (Sean - really?)
> It's Sean's way of making a Zuckerberg fashion statement.  ;)

I'd like to point out Sean has had that sort of hair since before Zuck even *went* to college.

Jono