Tag Loader

jasonhuck
I've written up a description of the routine I use to manage the
define tags within the global namespace so that they remain in memory.
I've found it to be a very useful technique due to the portability and
flexibility it provides, and I know others on the list have as well.
You can read more about it here:

http://devblog.jasonhuck.com/2008/04/10/using-namespaces-to-load-lasso-tags-into-memory/

The actual routine is available here:
http://tagswap.net/tags_load/

Enjoy,
Jason

--
tagSwap.net :: Open Source Lasso Code
<http://tagSwap.net/>

Bottleneck?

Jon Løvstad
Guys,

Im trying to weed out what's the real bottleneck on a site I run.
It's running off a Core2Duo mini (1,66GHz) at the moment, 2GB RAM.
Lasso 8.5.5, MySQL 5.0.51.

What happens is that some MySQL queries seem to get "stuck", apache
spawns a gazillion http threads and memory is gobbled up. After a
while things die down and gets back to normal. Sometimes I have to
kill the queries in question. These are not particularly costly
queries and they usually run just fine. CPU is not a problem, it's
rarely bogged down (hovering aroun 70% idle). The MySQL error log
reports the occasional communication breakdown with Lasso, but I
think that's when I kill the stuck queries  (Aborted connection xxx.
to db... got timeout reading communication packets.)

Anone encountered this before?

Jon

Re: Bottleneck?

Viaduct Productions
What's the query?

On Apr 12, 2008, at 10:10 AM, Jon Løvstad wrote:

> What happens is that some MySQL queries seem to get "stuck", apache
> spawns a gazillion http threads and memory is gobbled up. After a
> while things die down and gets back to normal. Sometimes I have to
> kill the queries in question. These are not particularly costly
> queries and they usually run just fine. CPU is not a problem, it's
> rarely bogged down (hovering aroun 70% idle). The MySQL error log
> reports the occasional communication breakdown with Lasso, but I
> think that's when I kill the stuck queries  (Aborted connection
> xxx. to db... got timeout reading communication packets.)
>
> Anone encountered this before?

Rich in Toronto
...now go get on your bike

Re: Bottleneck?

Trevor Jacques
>some MySQL queries seem to get "stuck", apache spawns a gazillion
>http threads and memory is gobbled up.
>Anone encountered this before?

I have noticed a strange 'CPU leak' on my mini. It does not seem to
be a memory leak. Really weird: the CPU usage goes up very, very
slowly over days, but there's no apparent cause. It's as though one
particular call triggers the leak, which then continues until I do
something that 'resets' the leak, although I've no idea what (other
than a restart) causes the reset. Very weird. s

I'll take a look to see if it could be related to MySQL calls. Might
take a while to prove, though.

Config.: Core2Duo mini (1.83Hz), 4GB RAM, OS X Server 10.5.2. Lasso
8.5.5fc2, MySQL 5.0.45.

T.

Re: Bottleneck?

Jim VH-2
I had something similar happen to me two weeks ago that ended up being
what I call an attack on my server from newer search engines that are
not yet live. The Apache logs showed that I was getting hit so hard
from these bots that MySQL simply couldn't keep up causing  slowdown,
CPU creepage due to the number of threads and eventual crash. The main
thing I discovered was that the page-outs went from its usual "0" to
several hundred thousand meaning I was getting heavy disk usage for my
RAM needs.

here is what I did:

I went back to using the default Lasso sessions from RAM-based
sessions. That ended the pageouts and CPU creepage and crashing stopped.

I had the firewall block the offending IP addresses.

Our "good-bot, bad-bot" Lasso code was modified. Good-bots such as
Google had sessions turned off so as not to interfere with their
indexing. I also made pdf's disappear since I didn't want them
indexed. Bad-bots simple had a Abort; returned providing them with a
blank page.

We revisited our slow query log and fixed the one or two that escaped
our attention the last time we reviewed them.

We cleaned out almost 8GB (yes GB's) of data from our MySQL tables.

We walked though our Apache error logs and adjusted our setup to
eliminate those errors.

We revised our robots.text file to deny much more folders, files, etc
than was originally written.

We turned on persistent connections.

The results:

The web server CPU usage went way down from 70-100% down to 30-35%.

Lasso thread counts dropped from an average of 40-50 down to a steady
14.

MySQL threads also dropped. CPU on the MySQL server also dropped down
to a point, I question it is even running (1-5%) when first glanced at.

Lasso communication errors basically disappeared. For that matter,
Lasso errors pretty much vanished.

Site speed visually increased dramatically. Without running any tests,
I would estimate a speed bump of 2-10x faster.

I should note: I took me 2 full days and nights to finally figure out
the issue was caused by an external factor and not something I was
doing internally. That prompted me to go on a campaign to block the
offending problem while optimizing my system while it was under
extreme load. It gave me the opportunity to make a change, site back
and watch what effect it had under such a heavy load. It took me
another 3 days to put all this stuff into place. A week lost, but a
much better tuned system than before.

I hope this helps.

---
Jim Van Heule
Heunox Corporation

On Apr 12, 2008, at 10:10 AM, Jon Løvstad wrote:

> Guys,
>
> Im trying to weed out what's the real bottleneck on a site I run.
> It's running off a Core2Duo mini (1,66GHz) at the moment, 2GB RAM.
> Lasso 8.5.5, MySQL 5.0.51.
>
> What happens is that some MySQL queries seem to get "stuck", apache
> spawns a gazillion http threads and memory is gobbled up. After a
> while things die down and gets back to normal. Sometimes I have to
> kill the queries in question. These are not particularly costly
> queries and they usually run just fine. CPU is not a problem, it's
> rarely bogged down (hovering aroun 70% idle). The MySQL error log
> reports the occasional communication breakdown with Lasso, but I
> think that's when I kill the stuck queries  (Aborted connection xxx.
> to db... got timeout reading communication packets.)
>
> Anone encountered this before?
>
> Jon

Re: Bottleneck?

Fabrizio Carioni
>I had something similar happen to me two weeks ago that ended up
>being what I call an attack on my server from newer search engines
>that are not yet live. The Apache logs showed that I was getting hit
>so hard from these bots that MySQL simply couldn't keep up causing
>slowdown, CPU creepage due to the number of threads and eventual
>crash. The main thing I discovered was that the page-outs went from
>its usual "0" to several hundred thousand meaning I was getting
>heavy disk usage for my RAM needs.

Same happened to me, was it a bot sent by Searchme or similar?

I completely blocked their class c and added their bot to the "bad ones" list.
I wrote to them but never got an answer.
I had thios problem almost simultaneously on 4 different web servers.

Ciao

Fabrizio Carioni - Golem100
S.r.l.
Gran Sasso (via), 50 - 20090 - Segrate (Mi) - Italy
Voice +39-02-2133402  -  Fax +39-02-93650749  - Mobile 3356463448
Email [hidden email] - URL http://www.golem100.com/

SearchMe, was Re: Bottleneck?

Steve Upton
At 7:50 PM +0200 4/12/08, Fabrizio Carioni wrote:
>>I had something similar happen to me two weeks ago that ended up being what I call an attack on my server from newer search engines that are not yet live. The Apache logs showed that I was getting hit so hard from these bots that MySQL simply couldn't keep up causing slowdown, CPU creepage due to the number of threads and eventual crash. The main thing I discovered was that the page-outs went from its usual "0" to several hundred thousand meaning I was getting heavy disk usage for my RAM needs.
>>

>Same happened to me, was it a bot sent by Searchme or similar?

I had the same group hammer our site last week as well (you may have read about my issues in other threads).

SearchMe sucks! This is what I was able to find:

- their spider crawled our site at an atrocious rate. I found repeated hits at more than 40-50 per second.

- one of the things it was hammering us for was for the robots.txt file which I found I had forgotten to move over when we changed our site architecture recently. As a result, our error page also had to fire and we had some additional processing on the page to communicate error info back to us, etc.

- they come from different IP addresses in the same subnet. So to our site each hit can look like a different (new) user and prompt even more processing and logging on our site. As you can imagine, Lasso and also our DB server took a significant, continued hit from all this additional processing.

- even when I put a robots.txt file in place their server still hit our server >40 times / second. FOR THE SAME FILE. This is in addition to all the crawling their servers were doing all over our site.

I sent them a rather threatening email on Thursday and, while I didn't get a response to the email, their crawler appears to have left us alone for now.

This is SO annoying. I mean, we are supposed to put a robots.txt file in place to avoid having crawlers in parts of our site (or at all). But their buggy software attacks the robots.txt file itself!

So, beware. If you find big slowdowns or server instability, check your logs. At least they do have information about the spider in the request header info that gets logged.

I have a feeling that this is a big enough issue that there's a class action suit waiting to happen. I know our ISP is considering charging us more because we went way above our limits. And the only thing that changed was getting crawled by SearchMe

regards,

Steve Upton

Re: SearchMe, was Re: Bottleneck?

Fabrizio Carioni

>SearchMe sucks! This is what I was able to find:
>
>- their spider crawled our site at an atrocious rate. I found
>repeated hits at more than 40-50 per second.
>
>- one of the things it was hammering us for was for the robots.txt
>file which I found I had forgotten to move over when we changed our
>site architecture recently. As a result, our error page also had to
>fire and we had some additional processing on the page to
>communicate error info back to us, etc.
>
>- they come from different IP addresses in the same subnet. So to
>our site each hit can look like a different (new) user and prompt
>even more processing and logging on our site. As you can imagine,
>Lasso and also our DB server took a significant, continued hit from
>all this additional processing.
>
>- even when I put a robots.txt file in place their server still hit
>our server >40 times / second. FOR THE SAME FILE. This is in
>addition to all the crawling their servers were doing all over our
>site.

I agree with this, still, after blocking the issue, the first thing
that came to my mind is "How vulnerable I am...".
If a stupid bot, downloading pages too quickly can give a server such
headaches, it means that almost anyone can do the same.
There sure are automatic methods of protection, firewalls and stuff
like that, but If you don't have them, any idiot can code a script
that can download reopeatedly some pages on your site and give
problems.

Not nice.

Ciao

Fabrizio Carioni - Golem100
S.r.l.
Gran Sasso (via), 50 - 20090 - Segrate (Mi) - Italy
Voice +39-02-2133402  -  Fax +39-02-93650749  - Mobile 3356463448
Email [hidden email] - URL http://www.golem100.com/

Re: Bottleneck?

Trevor Jacques
>Jim wrote: I had something similar happen to me two weeks ago that
>ended up being what I call an attack on my server from newer search
>engines that are not yet live.

There was also something else going on at that time. March was a VERY
bad month for spamming WordPress sites. I had more spam reports from
my one WP site (not on my mini) in a day last month than I had had
all last year. It continued for about three weeks.

Also, take a look at this: http://www.spamcop.net/spamgraph.shtml?spamyear

In October, 2.5 years ago, the average of the green in the SpamCop
chart was three....

Note how one day last month things went totally nuts. It's usual to
see a rise from late Sept. to the last week of the year, then a
return to 'usual' levels (which happened last year). What's unusual
about the past three months is the staggering rise to levels never
seen, and that unusual day in mid-March. Is it any wonder that
Symantec reported that last year was such a bad year for malware?

It's not just the e-mail volume that's a problem, because virus
checking can also take a lot out of a server (I use ClamAV).

:-/

T.

Re: Bottleneck?

Trevor Jacques
>Jon wrote: Im trying to weed out what's the real bottleneck on a site I run.

Do you have IP NetSentry X (http://SustWorks.com.) running? I use it
as a first-level of defence on my servers. Works like a charm to nuke
a huge proportion of attacks at the kernel level, before they even
get to the server software. I can send you my config. file, if you'd
like to see it. The config. filters out all but about 1 packet in
about 2M. I.e. it keeps almost all of the wolves at bay. It also
imports the SpamHaus DROP list in a flash to nuke stuff coming in
from the major spammers.

Peter, the creator of IPNSX, is quick to respond to user comments and
suggestions, too. :-)

T.

Re: Bottleneck?

Steve Upton
At 12:30 PM -0400 4/13/08, Trevor Jacques wrote:
>>Jon wrote: Im trying to weed out what's the real bottleneck on a site I run.
>
>Do you have IP NetSentry X (http://SustWorks.com.) running? I use it as a first-level of defence on my servers. Works like a charm to nuke a huge proportion of attacks at the kernel level, before they even get to the server software. I can send you my config. file, if you'd like to see it. The config. filters out all but about 1 packet in about 2M. I.e. it keeps almost all of the wolves at bay. It also imports the SpamHaus DROP list in a flash to nuke stuff coming in from the major spammers.
>
>Peter, the creator of IPNSX, is quick to respond to user comments and suggestions, too. :-)

does it get along well with OS X Server & Lasso?

I'd love to take a look at the config file,

thanks

Steve

Re: Bottleneck?

Fabrizio Carioni
At 12:30 -0400 13-4-2008, Trevor Jacques wrote:

>>Jon wrote: Im trying to weed out what's the real bottleneck on a site I run.
>
>Do you have IP NetSentry X (http://SustWorks.com.) running? I use it
>as a first-level of defence on my servers. Works like a charm to
>nuke a huge proportion of attacks at the kernel level, before they
>even get to the server software. I can send you my config. file, if
>you'd like to see it. The config. filters out all but about 1 packet
>in about 2M. I.e. it keeps almost all of the wolves at bay. It also
>imports the SpamHaus DROP list in a flash to nuke stuff coming in
>from the major spammers.
>
>Peter, the creator of IPNSX, is quick to respond to user comments
>and suggestions, too. :-)
>
>T.

I'd love to receive the config file too, if possible.

Thx for suggesting this product.

Ciao
Fabrizio Carioni - Golem100
S.r.l.
Gran Sasso (via), 50 - 20090 - Segrate (Mi) - Italy
Voice +39-02-2133402  -  Fax +39-02-93650749  - Mobile 3356463448
Email [hidden email] - URL http://www.golem100.com/

Re: Bottleneck?

Trevor Jacques
>does it get along well with OS X Server & Lasso?

As far as I know, there's no problem whatever. I'm far more concerned
with the awful, beta-like state of OS X Server than I am of IPNSX.
IPNSX has never interfered with Lasso on my PPC, G5, or Intel boxes,
and I tend to run the bleeding edge beta versions of IPNSX.

HTH.

T.

Re: Bottleneck?

Neil Enock
Sounds interesting, May I see a copy of the config file as well?

Thanks,
Neil

On Apr 13, 2008, at 12:17 PM, Steve Upton wrote:

> At 12:30 PM -0400 4/13/08, Trevor Jacques wrote:
>>> Jon wrote: Im trying to weed out what's the real bottleneck on a
>>> site I run.
>>
>> Do you have IP NetSentry X (http://SustWorks.com.) running? I use
>> it as a first-level of defence on my servers. Works like a charm to
>> nuke a huge proportion of attacks at the kernel level, before they
>> even get to the server software. I can send you my config. file, if
>> you'd like to see it. The config. filters out all but about 1
>> packet in about 2M. I.e. it keeps almost all of the wolves at bay.
>> It also imports the SpamHaus DROP list in a flash to nuke stuff
>> coming in from the major spammers.
>>
>> Peter, the creator of IPNSX, is quick to respond to user comments
>> and suggestions, too. :-)
>
> does it get along well with OS X Server & Lasso?
>
> I'd love to take a look at the config file,
>
> thanks
>
> Steve

     Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
              ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print
             Wooden-Boxes.com: Custom Packaging Solutions

ph 403.230.3951         http://www.chromata.com         [hidden email]
fx 403.276.3564         http://www.ePrint-Network.com   [hidden email]
tf 866.430.3951         http://Wooden-boxes.com         [hidden email]

Re: Bottleneck?

dguardiola

Le 13 avr. 08 à 21:09, Neil Enock a écrit :
> Sounds interesting, May I see a copy of the config file as well?

I'm intersted too, i'm a big fan of peter sichel's IPNetRouter!

Re: Bottleneck?

Marc Pope
I am not sure if this is still an issue with MySQL 5.0.51 & Up, but
the skip_name_resolve mysql setting can really help. It makes mysql
not use host based lookups (as long as you don't need them) and really
increases mysql's speed. My dedicated mysql server has over 300
databases serving 5 web servers and rarely goes above 2% CPU on a Dual
Xeon 3.0GHZ machine.

Basically what happens is if the DNS server the machine is using goes
down or gets slow, it kills your mysql connections to a screeching
halt. You'll all the sudden see many mysql connections in the active
queries but none are doing anything.

MySQL actually has a bug related to this issue and you can read about
it here:
http://hackmysql.com/dns

--

The other things that Jim VH mentioned are also very good suggestions.

-Marc

On Apr 12, 2008, at 10:10 AM, Jon Løvstad wrote:

> Guys,
>
> Im trying to weed out what's the real bottleneck on a site I run.
> It's running off a Core2Duo mini (1,66GHz) at the moment, 2GB RAM.
> Lasso 8.5.5, MySQL 5.0.51.
>
> What happens is that some MySQL queries seem to get "stuck", apache
> spawns a gazillion http threads and memory is gobbled up. After a
> while things die down and gets back to normal. Sometimes I have to
> kill the queries in question. These are not particularly costly
> queries and they usually run just fine. CPU is not a problem, it's
> rarely bogged down (hovering aroun 70% idle). The MySQL error log
> reports the occasional communication breakdown with Lasso, but I
> think that's when I kill the stuck queries  (Aborted connection xxx.
> to db... got timeout reading communication packets.)
>
> Anone encountered this before?
>
> Jon

Re: SearchMe, was Re: Bottleneck?

Jonathan Vanherpe (T & T NV)
Fabrizio Carioni wrote:

> I agree with this, still, after blocking the issue, the first thing that
> came to my mind is "How vulnerable I am...".
> If a stupid bot, downloading pages too quickly can give a server such
> headaches, it means that almost anyone can do the same.
> There sure are automatic methods of protection, firewalls and stuff like
> that, but If you don't have them, any idiot can code a script that can
> download reopeatedly some pages on your site and give problems.
>
> Not nice.
>
> Ciao

We also noticed that searchme downloads all site resources and even
executes javascript (they're probably using a modified mozilla browser
to generate screenshots). searchme.com itself basically shows
screenshots of websites in a 'coverflow' interface instead of as a list.
(you can sign up for a beta if you want to try it out).

I'm not really a fan of this method of searching, but I guess some
people might like it.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Vanherpe - Tallieu & Tallieu NV - [hidden email] -
2.6.22-14-generic i686 GNU/Linux

Re: Bottleneck?

Jim VH-2
I completely forgot about that one since I had done it so long ago. I
use the same setting and it is probably the #1 thing to do that
improves MySQL performance.

---
Jim Van Heule
Heunox Corporation