Synchronous XML and file uploads

Nohl Lyons
Has anyone tried to do the tip of the week: 'Tip of the Week - Synchronous
XML HTTP Requests for Dynamic Websites'?

It pretty cool, but it doesn't want to work when you try to upload a file
via a form.

Has anyone been able to make a version that will upload a file with out

Thanks for the input.

******************

Re: Synchronous XML and file uploads

shelane
I have been looking for the same type of solution.  I really like the way
it's done in Yahoo mail where you click an "Attach" button which immediately
brings up the file viewer to select your file.  It uploads the files, shows
the files you've uploaded, and allows you to remove the attachment.  I
haven't found how to do this just like Yahoo Mail, but I have found several
that are potential candidates to solve my problem.

The ones I've liked so far:
http://www.seemysites.net/projFolder/uploader/
http://blogs.missiondata.com/?p=28
<http://the-stickman.com/web-development/javascript/upload-multiple-files-wi
th-a-single-file-element/?bcsi_scan_F300493B1D0BA974=ylGWh0luNY8XwVLR1SyemAI
AAADBeKMA>

These are either written for Java or PHP - which would have to be converted.

Try a google search: AJAX file upload

On 2/10/07 10:28 PM, "Nohl Lyons" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anyone tried to do the tip of the week: 'Tip of the Week - Synchronous
> XML HTTP Requests for Dynamic Websites'?
>
> It pretty cool, but it doesn't want to work when you try to upload a file
> via a form.
>
> Has anyone been able to make a version that will upload a file with out
>
> Thanks for the input.
>

> ******************

Re: Synchronous XML and file uploads

jasonhuck
We've been toying with the possibility of using Flash for upload
handling, like this:

http://www.element-it.com/MultiPowUpload.ASPX

- jason

On 2/12/07, Shelane Enos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been looking for the same type of solution.  I really like the way
> it's done in Yahoo mail where you click an "Attach" button which immediately
> brings up the file viewer to select your file.  It uploads the files, shows
> the files you've uploaded, and allows you to remove the attachment.  I
> haven't found how to do this just like Yahoo Mail, but I have found several
> that are potential candidates to solve my problem.
>
> The ones I've liked so far:
> http://www.seemysites.net/projFolder/uploader/
> http://blogs.missiondata.com/?p=28
> <http://the-stickman.com/web-development/javascript/upload-multiple-files-wi
> th-a-single-file-element/?bcsi_scan_F300493B1D0BA974=ylGWh0luNY8XwVLR1SyemAI
> AAADBeKMA>
>
> These are either written for Java or PHP - which would have to be converted.
>
> Try a google search: AJAX file upload
>

> On 2/10/07 10:28 PM, "Nohl Lyons" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Has anyone tried to do the tip of the week: 'Tip of the Week - Synchronous
> > XML HTTP Requests for Dynamic Websites'?
> >
> > It pretty cool, but it doesn't want to work when you try to upload a file
> > via a form.
> >
> > Has anyone been able to make a version that will upload a file with out
> >
> > Thanks for the input.
> >

> > ******************

Find and Share Free Lasso Custom Tags at tagSwap.net!
Download hundreds of open source Lasso custom tags, and post your own
for others to use. RSS feeds track the newest and most popular tags.
http://tagSwap.net/

Re: Synchronous XML and file uploads

Brian Loomis-2
Would you use the perl upload?

Brian

On Feb 12, 2007, at 12:57 PM, Jason Huck wrote:

> We've been toying with the possibility of using Flash for upload
> handling, like this:
>
> http://www.element-it.com/MultiPowUpload.ASPX
>
> - jason
>

> On 2/12/07, Shelane Enos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have been looking for the same type of solution.  I really like
>> the way
>> it's done in Yahoo mail where you click an "Attach" button which
>> immediately
>> brings up the file viewer to select your file.  It uploads the
>> files, shows
>> the files you've uploaded, and allows you to remove the
>> attachment.  I
>> haven't found how to do this just like Yahoo Mail, but I have
>> found several
>> that are potential candidates to solve my problem.
>>
>> The ones I've liked so far:
>> http://www.seemysites.net/projFolder/uploader/
>> http://blogs.missiondata.com/?p=28
>> <http://the-stickman.com/web-development/javascript/upload-
>> multiple-files-wi
>> th-a-single-file-element/?
>> bcsi_scan_F300493B1D0BA974=ylGWh0luNY8XwVLR1SyemAI
>> AAADBeKMA>
>>
>> These are either written for Java or PHP - which would have to be
>> converted.
>>
>> Try a google search: AJAX file upload
>>

>> On 2/10/07 10:28 PM, "Nohl Lyons" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Has anyone tried to do the tip of the week: 'Tip of the Week -
>> Synchronous
>> > XML HTTP Requests for Dynamic Websites'?
>> >
>> > It pretty cool, but it doesn't want to work when you try to
>> upload a file
>> > via a form.
>> >
>> > Has anyone been able to make a version that will upload a file
>> with out
>> >
>> > Thanks for the input.
>> >

>> > ******************

> Find and Share Free Lasso Custom Tags at tagSwap.net!
> Download hundreds of open source Lasso custom tags, and post your own
> for others to use. RSS feeds track the newest and most popular tags.
> http://tagSwap.net/

Re: Synchronous XML and file uploads

jasonhuck
Well no, I figured I'd use Lasso.

My understanding is that Flash handles the actual file upload with
progress bar, etc., and that all you need is a regular upload handler
script on the server side, same as if you were just using HTTP upload.

But I haven't actually tried this yet, just thought it had potential...

- jason

On 2/12/07, Brian Loomis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Would you use the perl upload?
>
> Brian
>

> On Feb 12, 2007, at 12:57 PM, Jason Huck wrote:
>
> > We've been toying with the possibility of using Flash for upload
> > handling, like this:
> >
> > http://www.element-it.com/MultiPowUpload.ASPX
> >
> > - jason
> >

> > On 2/12/07, Shelane Enos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I have been looking for the same type of solution.  I really like
> >> the way
> >> it's done in Yahoo mail where you click an "Attach" button which
> >> immediately
> >> brings up the file viewer to select your file.  It uploads the
> >> files, shows
> >> the files you've uploaded, and allows you to remove the
> >> attachment.  I
> >> haven't found how to do this just like Yahoo Mail, but I have
> >> found several
> >> that are potential candidates to solve my problem.
> >>
> >> The ones I've liked so far:
> >> http://www.seemysites.net/projFolder/uploader/
> >> http://blogs.missiondata.com/?p=28
> >> <http://the-stickman.com/web-development/javascript/upload-
> >> multiple-files-wi
> >> th-a-single-file-element/?
> >> bcsi_scan_F300493B1D0BA974=ylGWh0luNY8XwVLR1SyemAI
> >> AAADBeKMA>
> >>
> >> These are either written for Java or PHP - which would have to be
> >> converted.
> >>
> >> Try a google search: AJAX file upload

> >> Synchronous

> >> upload a file

> >> with out

> > --
> > Find and Share Free Lasso Custom Tags at tagSwap.net!
> > Download hundreds of open source Lasso custom tags, and post your own
> > for others to use. RSS feeds track the newest and most popular tags.
> > http://tagSwap.net/

> > lassotalk.lasso?manage

Find and Share Free Lasso Custom Tags at tagSwap.net!
Download hundreds of open source Lasso custom tags, and post your own
for others to use. RSS feeds track the newest and most popular tags.
http://tagSwap.net/

Re: Synchronous XML and file uploads

Brian Loomis-2
I downloaded the thing and looked at it, they have a bunch of
different server side scripts for it, 6 different ones IIRC.

I'm going to start trying it  out tonight or tomorrow sometime.

On Feb 12, 2007, at 1:31 PM, Jason Huck wrote:

> Well no, I figured I'd use Lasso.
>
> My understanding is that Flash handles the actual file upload with
> progress bar, etc., and that all you need is a regular upload handler
> script on the server side, same as if you were just using HTTP upload.
>
> But I haven't actually tried this yet, just thought it had
> potential...
>
> - jason
>

> On 2/12/07, Brian Loomis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Would you use the perl upload?
>>
>> Brian
>>

>> On Feb 12, 2007, at 12:57 PM, Jason Huck wrote:
>>
>> > We've been toying with the possibility of using Flash for upload
>> > handling, like this:
>> >
>> > http://www.element-it.com/MultiPowUpload.ASPX
>> >
>> > - jason

>> > --
>> > Find and Share Free Lasso Custom Tags at tagSwap.net!
>> > Download hundreds of open source Lasso custom tags, and post
>> your own
>> > for others to use. RSS feeds track the newest and most popular
>> tags.
>> > http://tagSwap.net/

>> > lassotalk.lasso?manage

> Find and Share Free Lasso Custom Tags at tagSwap.net!
> Download hundreds of open source Lasso custom tags, and post your own
> for others to use. RSS feeds track the newest and most popular tags.
> http://tagSwap.net/

Re: Synchronous XML and file uploads

shelane
Let us know how it goes.  It will be at least a couple of weeks before I get
the chance to play around with it.

On 2/12/07 12:41 PM, "Brian Loomis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I downloaded the thing and looked at it, they have a bunch of
> different server side scripts for it, 6 different ones IIRC.
>
> I'm going to start trying it  out tonight or tomorrow sometime.
>
> On Feb 12, 2007, at 1:31 PM, Jason Huck wrote:
>
>> Well no, I figured I'd use Lasso.
>>
>> My understanding is that Flash handles the actual file upload with
>> progress bar, etc., and that all you need is a regular upload handler
>> script on the server side, same as if you were just using HTTP upload.
>>
>> But I haven't actually tried this yet, just thought it had
>> potential...
>>
>> - jason
>>

>> On 2/12/07, Brian Loomis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Would you use the perl upload?
>>>
>>> Brian

>>> your own
>>> tags.

>> Find and Share Free Lasso Custom Tags at tagSwap.net!
>> Download hundreds of open source Lasso custom tags, and post your own
>> for others to use. RSS feeds track the newest and most popular tags.
>> http://tagSwap.net/

>> lassotalk.lasso?manage

Re: Synchronous XML and file uploads

Randy Phillips-2
I tried this out with a bare bones lassoscript and it worked fine. The
only thing you need to modify in the Flash code is the uploadUrl var
(in two places). Just hand it off to your upload script and it works
just like a regular http form.

The progess bar is a nice touch, albeit a mystery. How does it
calculate the percentage of the uploaded files? There's no
communication going on between the server side scripts and Flash after
the request is sent as far as I can tell.

It looks cool anyways.

--
Rp

On 2/12/07, Jason Huck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We've been toying with the possibility of using Flash for upload
> handling, like this:
>
> http://www.element-it.com/MultiPowUpload.ASPX
>
> - jason
>

> On 2/12/07, Shelane Enos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I have been looking for the same type of solution.  I really like the way
> > it's done in Yahoo mail where you click an "Attach" button which immediately
> > brings up the file viewer to select your file.  It uploads the files, shows
> > the files you've uploaded, and allows you to remove the attachment.  I
> > haven't found how to do this just like Yahoo Mail, but I have found several
> > that are potential candidates to solve my problem.
> >
> > The ones I've liked so far:
> > http://www.seemysites.net/projFolder/uploader/
> > http://blogs.missiondata.com/?p=28
> > <http://the-stickman.com/web-development/javascript/upload-multiple-files-wi
> > th-a-single-file-element/?bcsi_scan_F300493B1D0BA974=ylGWh0luNY8XwVLR1SyemAI
> > AAADBeKMA>
> >
> > These are either written for Java or PHP - which would have to be converted.
> >
> > Try a google search: AJAX file upload
> >

> > On 2/10/07 10:28 PM, "Nohl Lyons" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Has anyone tried to do the tip of the week: 'Tip of the Week - Synchronous
> > > XML HTTP Requests for Dynamic Websites'?
> > >
> > > It pretty cool, but it doesn't want to work when you try to upload a file
> > > via a form.
> > >
> > > Has anyone been able to make a version that will upload a file with out
> > >
> > > Thanks for the input.
> > >

> > > ******************

> Find and Share Free Lasso Custom Tags at tagSwap.net!
> Download hundreds of open source Lasso custom tags, and post your own
> for others to use. RSS feeds track the newest and most popular tags.
> http://tagSwap.net/

Re: Synchronous XML and file uploads

Bil Corry-3
Randy Phillips wrote on 2/13/2007 7:11 AM:
> The progess bar is a nice touch, albeit a mystery. How does it
> calculate the percentage of the uploaded files? There's no
> communication going on between the server side scripts and Flash after
> the request is sent as far as I can tell.

If the flash app does the actual sending of the file, it'll know how much it sent.

Re: Synchronous XML and file uploads

Randy Phillips-2
I guess this is what I'm not clear on. I always assumed the form sent
a reference of the path of the local file or files to be uploaded and
Lasso did the heavy lifting.  In my mind it seems Lasso should have to
report something back to the client. But maybe I have that backwards.

On 2/13/07, Bil Corry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Randy Phillips wrote on 2/13/2007 7:11 AM:
> > The progess bar is a nice touch, albeit a mystery. How does it
> > calculate the percentage of the uploaded files? There's no
> > communication going on between the server side scripts and Flash after
> > the request is sent as far as I can tell.
>
> If the flash app does the actual sending of the file, it'll know how much it sent.
>
> - Bil

Rp

Randy Phillips wrote on 2/13/2007 7:36 AM:
> I guess this is what I'm not clear on. I always assumed the form sent
> a reference of the path of the local file or files to be uploaded and
> Lasso did the heavy lifting.  In my mind it seems Lasso should have to
> report something back to the client. But maybe I have that backwards.

I'm not entirely clear on the process, but I think the client initiates the upload to the web server, the web server then passes it along to Lasso, and Lasso saves the file as it comes in to a temp file.  Once the upload is done, Lasso then executes the page that the file was "uploaded" to, creating the file_uploads that the Lasso page can use.

If you use a browser to send the file, it won't show the upload progress (which is dumb).  So people have taken to hacking the browser so that it will, but the issue is how do you know how much has been sent?  Only the browser knows and there's no way to get it.  So instead, they have the server send back the progress, so that it can be shown in the browser (lot of extra effort).

The other option is the instead use something other than the browser to send the file, such as Java (and in the case, Flash).  Since you *can* see how much is sent, you don't have to have the server send back progress reports to the client, making it much easier to use.  I'm assuming Flash is actually sending the file, I don't use Flash, maybe it's more like the first scenario where the server still has to tell the client how much has been sent.  I know for sure Java doesn't have that requirement.

Re: Synchronous XML and file uploads

Nohl Lyons
OK, I need to apologize to everyone. I know how to upload multiple files
with lasso - no problem.

My issue is that I want to display a layer in front of the current page
content, that let's the user upload files w/o loading a new page.

I'm trying to be slick, w/o using Flash, Java, PHP - I almost got it to work
with The Tip of the week synchronous XML sample code.  I guess I'm just not
that great at coding :}

Sorry to cause so much chatter.

On 2/14/07 3:13 AM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 09:11:50 -0600
> From: "Randy Phillips" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Synchronous XML and file uploads
>
> I tried this out with a bare bones lassoscript and it worked fine. The
> only thing you need to modify in the Flash code is the uploadUrl var
> (in two places). Just hand it off to your upload script and it works
> just like a regular http form.
>
> The progess bar is a nice touch, albeit a mystery. How does it
> calculate the percentage of the uploaded files? There's no
> communication going on between the server side scripts and Flash after
> the request is sent as far as I can tell.
>
> It looks cool anyways.
>
> --
> Rp

Re: Synchronous XML and file uploads

Paul Melia

On Feb 14, 2007, at 7:58 PM, Nohl Lyons wrote:

> OK, I need to apologize to everyone. I know how to upload multiple
> files
> with lasso - no problem.
>
> My issue is that I want to display a layer in front of the current
> page
> content, that let's the user upload files w/o loading a new page.
>
> I'm trying to be slick, w/o using Flash, Java, PHP - I almost got
> it to work
> with The Tip of the week synchronous XML sample code.  I guess I'm
> just not
> that great at coding :}
>
> Sorry to cause so much chatter.

Nohl,

Performing file uploads via "ajax" is not easy.
I know of only two routes:

1) Flash + The Dojo Toolkit. That is how the Dojo ajax library
performs its upload routine. Flash actually handles the upload and
Dojo ajax handles the page refresh

2) Ajax + iFrame. I cam across a php solution that uses an inline
frame (iFrame) to handle the upload and then uses ajax to refresh the
page.

I haven't finished playing with either but if you (or any one else)
want to take a stab at it. here are the links...

Dojo method -> http://manual.dojotoolkit.org/WikiHome/DojoDotBook/Book50

PHP iFrame -> http://www.chronosight.net/view/2006/04/465-
asynchronous-file-upload-with-php-javascript-iframe.html

FWIW,
Paul M.