Stylesheet Variable

Mark Romano
I'm storing the stylesheet code in a variable. I'm having trouble
getting the stylesheet to load from this variable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Re: Stylesheet Variable

Viaduct Productions
Can you post the output?

On 24-Mar-09, at 2:49 PM, Mark Romano wrote:

> I'm storing the stylesheet code in a variable. I'm having trouble
> getting the stylesheet to load from this variable.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rich in Toronto
...now go get on your bike

Re: Stylesheet Variable

My guess is the encoding. MAke sure the output is encoded correctly.
Looking at the source on the page should help

On Mar 24, 2009, at 12:49 PM, Mark Romano wrote:

> I'm storing the stylesheet code in a variable. I'm having trouble
> getting the stylesheet to load from this variable.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Re: Stylesheet Variable

Mark Romano
Here's some additional info:

I'm loading the [$stylesheet] from a database field:

I'm storing the variable on a page called stylesheet.lasso.

Then I'm using the following to reference it:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.lasso" />

Nothing comes up in the source. When I pull the data out and put it on
the stylesheet.lasso page, it works. Just can't seem to make it work
with the variable.

On Mar 24, 2009, at 11:49 AM, Mark Romano wrote:

I'm storing the stylesheet code in a variable. I'm having trouble
getting the stylesheet to load from this variable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Re: Stylesheet Variable

Viaduct Productions
Park the variable in a <textarea>[$variable]</textarea> and paste the
result into the list here.

On 24-Mar-09, at 3:14 PM, Mark Romano wrote:

> Here's some additional info:
>
> I'm loading the [$stylesheet] from a database field:
>
> I'm storing the variable on a page called stylesheet.lasso.
>
> Then I'm using the following to reference it:
>
> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.lasso" />
>
> Nothing comes up in the source. When I pull the data out and put it
> on the stylesheet.lasso page, it works. Just can't seem to make it
> work with the variable.

Rich in Toronto
...now go get on your bike

Re: Stylesheet Variable

Viaduct Productions

On 24-Mar-09, at 3:14 PM, Mark Romano wrote:

> I'm storing the variable on a page called stylesheet.lasso.
>
> Then I'm using the following to reference it:
>
> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.lasso" />

What you might want to do is just load your variable inside the head
of your html page as such:

        #header
                {blah blah blah
                }

        /* comment */

        #item
                {blah blah blah moosehair
                }

        --></style>

Rich in Toronto
...now go get on your bike

Re: Stylesheet Variable

Mark Romano
That did it! Thank you!

I used the following:

The only drawback is that the code will show up in the source. But
that's not a big deal.

Thanks again Rich.

On 24-Mar-09, at 3:30 PM, Mark Romano wrote:

> The only drawback is that the code will show up in the source. But
> that's not a big deal.

Well, every delivery of the styles, either external or in the header,
shows up.  So don't worry about that.

Rich in Toronto
...now go get on your bike

Re: Stylesheet Variable

Jonathan Vanherpe (T & T NV)
Mark Romano wrote:

> Here's some additional info:
>
> I'm loading the [$stylesheet] from a database field:
>
> I'm storing the variable on a page called stylesheet.lasso.
>
> Then I'm using the following to reference it:
>
> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.lasso" />
>
> Nothing comes up in the source. When I pull the data out and put it on
> the stylesheet.lasso page, it works. Just can't seem to make it work
> with the variable.

You need to serve the file as text/css, so you need to add this in
stylesheet.lasso:
<?Lassoscript
content_type('text/css;charset=utf-8'); /*or whatever charset you saved
your file as*/
?>

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Vanherpe - Tallieu & Tallieu NV - [hidden email]

Re: Stylesheet Variable

berbercarpet-2
On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 3:30 PM, Mark Romano <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That did it! Thank you!
>
> I used the following:

> The only drawback is that the code will show up in the source. But that's
> not a big deal.

that actually *is* kind of a big deal.

i won't go into why here, when much as been written on it, but i
highly highly recommend you take a look at jason huck's asset manager:

http://icanhaz.com/asset-mgr-lasso8

Re: Stylesheet Variable

Viaduct Productions

On 25-Mar-09, at 12:28 PM, berbercarpet wrote:

> that actually *is* kind of a big deal.
>
> i won't go into why here, when much as been written on it, but i
> highly highly recommend you take a look at jason huck's asset manager:

While I think Jason's approach is real, I disagree this is a big deal
for most sites.  No more than shoving all your images into one master
image and pulling image maps out of it.

Rich in Toronto
...now go get on your bike

Re: Stylesheet Variable

Fletcher Sandbeck-3
On 3/25/09 at 12:58 PM, [hidden email] (Viaduct
Productions) wrote:

>On 25-Mar-09, at 12:28 PM, berbercarpet wrote:
>
>>that actually *is* kind of a big deal.
>>
>>i won't go into why here, when much as been written on it, but i
>>highly highly recommend you take a look at jason huck's asset manager:
>
>While I think Jason's approach is real, I disagree this is a
>big deal for most sites.  No more than shoving all your images
>into one master image and pulling image maps out of it.

I don't see these things as strictly comparable.  The asset
manager seems designed to promote best practices in terms of
serving style sheets and JavaScript files.  The idea of stuffing
images for improved download speeds strikes me as more of a
hack.  Of course many, if not most, Web sites run just fine
without any optimizations.

Jason's approach is not ideal for every site, but it contains a
lot of ideas that could be used to improve just about any site.
You may or may not want to adopt the actual code, but it is
still worth looking through and listening to his LDC presentation.

LassoSoft, LLC                          http://www.lassosoft.com

Re: Stylesheet Variable

Viaduct Productions
That was my point.

On 25-Mar-09, at 1:06 PM, Fletcher Sandbeck wrote:

> Of course many, if not most, Web sites run just fine without any
> optimizations.

Rich in Toronto
...now go get on your bike

Re: Stylesheet Variable

> I don't see these things as strictly comparable.  The asset manager seems
> designed to promote best practices in terms of serving style sheets and
> JavaScript files.  The idea of stuffing images for improved download speeds
> strikes me as more of a hack.

I agree, and said as much during the Q&A section of my talk. Unless
you are dealing with toolbar icons or some other very tightly
connected, uniformly applied set of utilitarian images, I think CSS
sprites are anti-web. An image that represents part of the actual
content of the page -- i.e., that has some journalistic meaning --
should be its own separate asset with its own URL.

But that's just my opinion.

> Jason's approach is not ideal for every site, but it contains a lot of ideas
> that could be used to improve just about any site.  You may or may not want
> to adopt the actual code, but it is still worth looking through and
> listening to his LDC presentation.

It's worth pointing out that the system is highly modular and
configurable. You can choose to use just some of the tags in an ad-hoc
fashion and also alter the paths to fit your custom directory
structure.

If you are at all concerned about the separation of presentation from
content, search engine optimization, accessibility, or performance,
and you are not already using some other means to achieve the results
provided by this system, you should check it out, as it can have an
impact in all of those areas.

- jason

--
tagSwap.net :: Open Source Lasso Code
<http://tagSwap.net/>

Using "File_write" to create a "real" excel file

Michael Benedict
Hello all,

I think I already know the answer but I thought I would ask anyway.
My app uses Lasso 8.5.5 and FileMaker 8.
I use file_write to create .tab, .txt, .csv files. Works great!!

I have a customer asking.. Is there a way to save directly to a Excel Doc.
Or a file that Excel thinks is an Excel file??

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Cheers, Michael

Re: Using "File_write" to create a "real" excel file

Mark Palmer
There's some info in this thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/lassotalk/browse_thread/thread/b9aac3afef3ecce5/80069777438e1432?lnk=gst&q=excel#80069777438e1432

On 25 Mar 2009, at 19:00, Michael Benedict wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I think I already know the answer but I thought I would ask anyway.
> My app uses Lasso 8.5.5 and FileMaker 8.
> I use file_write to create .tab, .txt, .csv files. Works great!!
>
> I have a customer asking.. Is there a way to save directly to a
> Excel Doc.
> Or a file that Excel thinks is an Excel file??
>
> Any suggestions would be very appreciated.
>
> Cheers, Michael

Regards

Mark Palmer
E: [hidden email]
T: 01902 620500
W: www.pageworks.co.uk

Re: Using "File_write" to create a "real" excel file

Bil Corry-3
Mark Palmer wrote on 3/25/2009 2:27 PM:
> There's some info in this thread:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/lassotalk/browse_thread/thread/b9aac3afef3ecce5/80069777438e1432?lnk=gst&q=excel#80069777438e1432

I've had good success using the XML method.  With it, I was able to have the default print orientation landscape among other fun stuff.

Re: Stylesheet Variable

It speaks to an evolution of the web a little.

One of the great things about jQuery is the extensibility. There are a
lot of very useful plugins, that have been written that save time,
etc. I think it is fair to say more than proto-script.

However, you soon realize that there are an awful lot of files being
loaded. Of course you could combine these into a single larger
library, but it kind of defeats the point! Kind of like the lasso
startup files.

So it seems to be with us. Just like there are a lot of great sites
without AJAX (which was vehemently opposed in some quarters), the use
of Jason's approach and loading on demand are things we probably will
eventually have to live with to evolve the user expectations.

Deco

On Mar 25, 2009, at 10:58 AM, Viaduct Productions wrote:

> On 25-Mar-09, at 12:28 PM, berbercarpet wrote:
>
>> that actually *is* kind of a big deal.
>>
>> i won't go into why here, when much as been written on it, but i
>> highly highly recommend you take a look at jason huck's asset
>> manager:
>

> While I think Jason's approach is real, I disagree this is a big
> deal for most sites.  No more than shoving all your images into one
> master image and pulling image maps out of it.
>

> Rich in Toronto
> ...now go get on your bike

Re: Using "File_write" to create a "real" excel file

Rick Draper

I'll second outputting Excel oriented XML.

It's just a matter of creating the format you want in Excel and saving
it as an XML document to get all formatting you need and the syntax to
achieve it.  Those opening the file generate by Lasso rarely notice it
is an XML file (assuming they are using 2003 version or later.

Very best regards,

Rick

> ef3ecce5/80069777438e1432?lnk=gst&q=excel#80069777438e1432

I've had good success using the XML method.  With it, I was able to have
the default print orientation landscape among other fun stuff.

Re: Using "File_write" to create a "real" excel file

stitis
You can create, write and save to an Excel file as follows:

[Var('excel') = ''+
        ''+
            ''+
            ''+
        ''+
        ''+
            ''+
            ''+
        ''+
'
StitiSamantaray
']

[file_serve: $excel, -type='application/vnd.ms-excel', -file='job_list.xls']

OR

You can store any HTML output in the [$excel] variable and serve as an Excel file.

Michael Benedict wrote
Hello all,

I think I already know the answer but I thought I would ask anyway.
My app uses Lasso 8.5.5 and FileMaker 8.
I use file_write to create .tab, .txt, .csv files. Works great!!

I have a customer asking.. Is there a way to save directly to a Excel Doc.
Or a file that Excel thinks is an Excel file??

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Cheers, Michael

Stiti Samantaray,
Mindfire Solutions
www.mindfiresolutions.com