Speeding up Filemaker 13

lizquigg
I have been doing timing tests comparing Lasso 8.5 with Filemaker 11 and Lasso 8.6.3 with Filemaker 13 Server.  It seems to take 2 seconds for each inline with Filemaker 13.   Filemaker 11 seems to remember the authentication I have done before and gives me very quick results.  Filemaker 13 seems to need to authenticate again when I do another inline to the same database.

 I am using -op='eq' in my inline.

Some of the queries take so long that I am afraid that my users may not realize that there is output coming.   Have others experienced this and do they have some suggestions for improving the speed?   Are there settings in Filemaker 13 that I could tweak to avoid this sluggish behavior.  I am relying on the security set up in the Filemaker file.

Liz
------------------------
Liz Quigg
Fermilab
MS 226, Box 500
Batavia, IL 60510
630 840-2631
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

"Save a tree; think twice about printing this e-mail."

Re: Speeding up Filemaker 13

stevepiercy
I recall someone else reported a similar issue with MySQL, and
another someone posted a file that would initialize a single
database connection that could be used by all subsequent
inlines.  I can't find it in the list archives.  Maybe you will
have better luck searching.

There was also this post from Maxwell Klein in response to a
question you asked earlier.
http://lasso.2283332.n4.nabble.com/Upgrade-Advice-tp4641547p4641553.html

--steve

On 2/19/15 at 7:43 PM, [hidden email] (Elizabeth K Quigg) pronounced:

>I have been doing timing tests comparing Lasso 8.5 with
>Filemaker 11 and Lasso 8.6.3 with Filemaker 13 Server.  It
>seems to take 2 seconds for each inline with Filemaker 13.
>Filemaker 11 seems to remember the authentication I have done
>before and gives me very quick results.  Filemaker 13 seems to
>need to authenticate again when I do another inline to the same database.
>
>I am using -op='eq' in my inline.
>
>Some of the queries take so long that I am afraid that my users
>may not realize that there is output coming.   Have others
>experienced this and do they have some suggestions for
>improving the speed?   Are there settings in Filemaker 13 that
>I could tweak to avoid this sluggish behavior.  I am relying on
>the security set up in the Filemaker file.
>
>Liz
>------------------------
>Liz Quigg
>Fermilab
>MS 226, Box 500
>Batavia, IL 60510
>630 840-2631
>[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
>

>"Save a tree; think twice about printing this e-mail."

>Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Steve Piercy              Website Builder              Soquel, CA
<[hidden email]>               <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>

Re: Speeding up Filemaker 13

maxwellk2
Do you have an example inline that runs slower under FMS13? Obviously remove any sensitive info before posting.

Are you running comparable hardware for FMS13 vs FMS11? Try a FMS13 install on a fresh OS install too.

Here’s one place to start, and at the bottom under "See these related articles for additional information on FileMaker Server performance" there are additional recommendation.

        http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9645

Ignore anything referring to WebDirect, and disable if you’re not using it, Admin Console->Web Publishing->FileMaker WebDirect. If you are using WebDirect you will mostly likely need two FMS servers, one for Lasso/XML and another for WebDirect. Both WebDirect and its predecessor Instant Web Publishing were resource hogs.

Make sure you set the Database Cache as high as it can be under Admin Console->Database Server->Databases. Max out the RAM on your server and if budget allows go with a RAID 10 using SSD drives. Also disable "Verify backup integrity" on any hourly backups and save it for nightly backups.

This is also a great reference from LassoSoft, the "Performance Tips" section is spot on.

        http://lassoguide.com/databases/filemaker-data-sources.html#performance-tips

It’s been a while since migrating from FMS11, but I do recall being initially disappointed when comparing performance to FMS12, I can’t recall exactly what the issues were. I think maybe FMS11 was a little more forgiving, but also Lasso 8.X may be stumbling a little on change to the XML response from FMS12/13. I certainly saw this with portals and pretty much stopped using them.

Over time I’ve sorted out most of the performance issues with those Performance Tips, the use of Cache tags where applicable, and digging for the bottlenecks. This is a very handy tag to use generously when looking for the bottleneck as it helps give real measurement instead of perceived slowness.

        http://www.lassosoft.com/tagswap/detail/timer

My FMS13 install reliably serves well over 1 million queries per month and it’s been a long time since I’ve seen it crash or even choke.

Hope some of that helps.

-Max