Speaking of logic...

Clive Bruton
The latest issue of MacUser (UK) has a "Software Labs" feature called
"high-end databases" which compared seven "databases" and came up
with a "winner". Now, I had my suspicions that MacUser has been on
the wane for quite some time, but this feature really puts the nails
in its coffin.

The "databases" under review were:

        4D 2004.4
        FileMaker Pro 8.5
        MacSQL 3.0
        Omni Studio 4.2
        OpenBase 10
        Servoy 3.0 beta

Plus one other, which I'm not going to name. This one other, also
happens to be the "winner" of the review.

Now you're probably guessing what the winner is, I'll throw a spanner
in your works, here is the quick summary of that winner:

        Pros: great interface + data and structural synchronisation +
                data export + scheduling of jobs.

        Cons: ... + scheduled jobs won't restart Mac from sleep.

So, can you guess what it is (no spoilers form those who have the mag
please!)?

-- Clive

Re: Speaking of logic...

Jono-2
Applescript? Hypercard?

On 03/10/2006, at 9:31 AM, Clive Bruton wrote:

> So, can you guess what it is (no spoilers form those who have the
> mag please!)?

Jono

// ---------------------------------------------------------
/*
     Jonathan Guthrie
     xServe Ltd, Wellington NZ
     [hidden email]   |   http://xserve.co.nz
     DDI +64 4 978 7388   |   Mob +64 21 678890

*/
// ---------------------------------------------------------

Re: Speaking of logic...

Ke Carlton
Yes, I saw that today - "High End", ahem.

It is if they're oblivious to the surge in developers that support the Mac.

Oracle, Mysql, PostgreSQL - not listed, ouch. Definition of "High End"
doubles the ouch...

Re: Speaking of logic...

m i l e s-5
Clive,

Ok...I'll byte.

So ?  What was it ?

There, now are you happy, someone asked the question....

Spill the beans....

M i l e s.

Re: Speaking of logic...

Clive Bruton

On 3 Oct 2006, at 00:05, m i l e s wrote:

> So ?  What was it ?
>
> There, now are you happy, someone asked the question....

Ah, you're no fun! :-)

Well, in its infinite wisdom MacUser declared the winner, the best
high-end database in the world... Navicat.

Huh!? I hear you ask, yeah, me too, for all the same reasons.

-- Clive

Re: Speaking of logic...

Fletcher Sandbeck
On 2006-10-03 at 00:12 by [hidden email] (Ke):

>Yes, I saw that today - "High End", ahem.
>
>It is if they're oblivious to the surge in developers that support the Mac.
>
>Oracle, Mysql, PostgreSQL - not listed, ouch. Definition of "High End"
>doubles the ouch...

I think they mean "High Level".  MySQL is a "Low Level" database which does not have any UI tools at all.  FileMaker is a "High Level" database which provides a lot of UI abstractions.

My guess for the missing product is REAL Basic.

Director of Product Development       http://www.lassostudio.com
OmniPilot Software, Inc.                http://www.omnipilot.com

Re: Speaking of logic...

Clive Bruton

On 3 Oct 2006, at 01:14, Fletcher Sandbeck wrote:

> I think they mean "High Level".

No, they mean "high end", their own definition is...

        "For this Labs, 'high-end' means SQL..."

So, figure that out!?

-- Clive

Re: Speaking of logic...

m i l e s-5
Clive,

MILES: HUH ?

Clive: you heard that right M.

MILES: Ummm Clive, I know you're not the author of said article and I
know you're not connected with IDG in any way, shape, or form, but I
wonder if anyone went to the bother of explaining to the bonehead
that reviewed the software that Navicat is a SQL CLIENT, *NOT* a
database....down hill you say....  Hmmm i'd extend that a bit to say
more like, off the chart bad.

M i l e s.

Re: Speaking of logic...

Jono-2
WTF? Navicat's a UI, not a database?

On 03/10/2006, at 12:33 PM, Clive Bruton wrote:

> Well, in its infinite wisdom MacUser declared the winner, the best
> high-end database in the world... Navicat.

Jono

// ---------------------------------------------------------
/*
     Jonathan Guthrie
     xServe Ltd, Wellington NZ
     [hidden email]   |   http://xserve.co.nz
     DDI +64 4 978 7388   |   Mob +64 21 678890

*/
// ---------------------------------------------------------

Re: Speaking of logic...

Trevor Jacques
I just hope that all writers involved in the 'review' have been let
go, including the editor(s) involved.

T.

Re: Speaking of logic...

Clive Bruton

On 3 Oct 2006, at 02:59, Trevor Jacques wrote:

> I just hope that all writers involved in the 'review' have been let
> go, including the editor(s) involved.

The "About the author" box says:

        Richard Dyce stopped being MacUser's Technical Editor
        in 1991; he escaped from MacUser's maximum security
        Labs to North-East Scotland.

'nuff said.

-- Clive

Re: Speaking of logic...

Trevor Jacques
>The "About the author" box says:
>
> Richard Dyce stopped being MacUser's Technical Editor
> in 1991; he escaped from MacUser's maximum security
> Labs to North-East Scotland.
>
>'nuff said.

And it's not even the beginning of April....

T.