Session IDs and domains...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Session IDs and domains...

Steve Upton

Hi All,

When can Lasso handle holding onto a session when the user moves from one domain to another (assuming it's all on the same server)?

On our site you can move from http to https which, in some ways, is a different site and Lasso handles the session without issue.

Can it handle moving between different host names? different sub-domain names? (eg www.domain1.com to www.domain2.com)?

Regards,

Steve



--


--
This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
Search the list archives: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/Browse/
Manage your subscription: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Session IDs and domains...

Doug Gentry
I think you would have to pass the session_id along as a link when  
moving between domains.

So I would use -useLink and -usecookie on my Session_Start tags, and  
in Lasso Site Admin make sure that http:// links are decorated with  
the session_id parameter. the -usecookie is optional, just to help  
smooth over times, such as when using a redirect_url, that you forget  
to manually add the session_id parameter, within a single domain.

I believe that decorated link will allow the use of the same session  
across different domains, where a normal cookie would not.

....Doug

On May 7, 2008, at 12:56 PM, Steve Upton wrote:

>
> Hi All,
>
> When can Lasso handle holding onto a session when the user moves  
> from one domain to another (assuming it's all on the same server)?
>
> On our site you can move from http to https which, in some ways, is  
> a different site and Lasso handles the session without issue.
>
> Can it handle moving between different host names? different sub-
> domain names? (eg www.domain1.com to www.domain2.com)?
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve
>
>
>
> --
>
>
> --
> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
> Search the list archives: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/Browse/
> Manage your subscription: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/
>



---
Doug Gentry
Dynapolis & Southern Oregon University
p:  541-261-8501 / Toll Free: 866-890-6013
[hidden email]
www.dynapolis.com - blog: www.plain-sense.com



--
This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
Search the list archives: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/Browse/
Manage your subscription: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Session IDs and domains...

Trevor Borgmeier
In reply to this post by Steve Upton
You can easily jump between domains -- you just need to pass the session
data via url so the second domain can set its own cookie.

http and https can read the same cookies so long as it's not a secure
cookie and the paths are the same...

-Trevor



Steve Upton wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> When can Lasso handle holding onto a session when the user moves from one domain to another (assuming it's all on the same server)?
>
> On our site you can move from http to https which, in some ways, is a different site and Lasso handles the session without issue.
>
> Can it handle moving between different host names? different sub-domain names? (eg www.domain1.com to www.domain2.com)?
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve
>
>
>
>  

--
This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
Search the list archives: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/Browse/
Manage your subscription: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Session IDs and domains...

Bil Corry-3
In reply to this post by Doug Gentry
Doug Gentry wrote on 5/7/2008 3:03 PM:
> I think you would have to pass the session_id along as a link when
> moving between domains.

And configure all domains to use the same session table.


- Bil


--
This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
Search the list archives: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/Browse/
Manage your subscription: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Session IDs and domains...

Doug Gentry
How do you do that, Bil?


On May 7, 2008, at 2:02 PM, Bil Corry wrote:

> Doug Gentry wrote on 5/7/2008 3:03 PM:
>> I think you would have to pass the session_id along as a link when  
>> moving between domains.
>
> And configure all domains to use the same session table.
>
>
> - Bil
>
>
> --
> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
> Search the list archives: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/Browse/
> Manage your subscription: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/
>



---
Doug Gentry
Dynapolis & Southern Oregon University
p:  541-261-8501 / Toll Free: 866-890-6013
[hidden email]
www.dynapolis.com - blog: www.plain-sense.com



--
This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
Search the list archives: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/Browse/
Manage your subscription: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Session IDs and domains...

Bil Corry-3
Doug Gentry wrote on 5/7/2008 4:54 PM:
> How do you do that, Bil?

Page 121 of the Setup Guide (not the Language Guide!), under "Multi-Server Session Support."


- Bil


--
This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/
Search the list archives: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/Browse/
Manage your subscription: http://www.ListSearch.com/Lasso/