Server Hosting Recommendations - Dedicated, Virtual or Cloud

Server Hosting Recommendations - Dedicated, Virtual or Cloud

stevepiercy
I'm looking for a new host for my Lasso sites, as well as
separate mail hosting.  I've looked at the following services.
Does anyone have any feedback or alternatives to suggest?

The most important factors for me are service reliability and
support availability.

LiquidWeb (dedicated server)
https://www.liquidweb.com/cart/content/dedicated/

SliceHost (virtual private server)
http://www.slicehost.com/

Rackspace Cloud (cloud server)
http://www.rackspacecloud.com/cloud_hosting_products/servers/pricing

I'm having a hard time justifying the higher cost of a dedicated
server compared to the virtual and cloud options.  Virtual and
cloud servers are portable, easier to recover from disasters,
and can be provisioned within minutes.  Are there other factors
I should consider?

In regards to mail hosting, I have experience with Rackspace,
and I'd like to consider other options.  Mail hosting is just a
headache and I would like to give my clients the option of
contacting live support 24/7/365.
http://www.rackspace.com/apps/email_hosting/

Finally I host a few mail lists--discussion, subscription
management, bounce management--something like mailman or
majordomo.  Nabble seems to fill this need.  Are there any others?

-- --
Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder
Soquel, CA

Re: Server Hosting Recommendations - Dedicated, Virtual or Cloud

Alex Pilson-2
I just moved a heavy bandwidth customer to ANU.net using a load balanced VPS servers on CentOS 5.2, Lasso 8.5.6, MySQL 5 and so far runs incredibly smooth. Moving more sites this week. I love the features of ANU and VPS. I know several that are using LiquidWeb and are happy with it, RackSpace, well it is what it is, pricey.

Alex Pilson

On Mar 28, 2010, at 8:19 PM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:

> I'm looking for a new host for my Lasso sites, as well as separate mail hosting.  I've looked at the following services.  Does anyone have any feedback or alternatives to suggest?
>
> The most important factors for me are service reliability and support availability.
>
> LiquidWeb (dedicated server)
> https://www.liquidweb.com/cart/content/dedicated/
>
> SliceHost (virtual private server)
> http://www.slicehost.com/
>
> Rackspace Cloud (cloud server)
> http://www.rackspacecloud.com/cloud_hosting_products/servers/pricing
>
> I'm having a hard time justifying the higher cost of a dedicated server compared to the virtual and cloud options.  Virtual and cloud servers are portable, easier to recover from disasters, and can be provisioned within minutes.  Are there other factors I should consider?
>
> In regards to mail hosting, I have experience with Rackspace, and I'd like to consider other options.  Mail hosting is just a headache and I would like to give my clients the option of contacting live support 24/7/365.
> http://www.rackspace.com/apps/email_hosting/
>
> Finally I host a few mail lists--discussion, subscription management, bounce management--something like mailman or majordomo.  Nabble seems to fill this need.  Are there any others?
>
> --steve
>
> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
> <[hidden email]>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>

Re: Server Hosting Recommendations - Dedicated, Virtual or Cloud

maxwellk2
Hi Steve,

You might check out everyone.net for hosted email service, if you have enough volume they have a 'private label' option that still offers direct technical support to your clients. For the past 8+ year I've been using digital.forest (forest.net) for lots of hosted solutions; email, Lasso, PHP, MySQL, FileMaker, co-locations, etc. They've decide to stop offering their own in-house email service and are migrating to everyone.net under their own 'Platinum Email' branded service. They're offering packages that are very competitive, even with everyone.net's own prices.

digital.forest has migrated a number of my clients to this platform, including myself, and it just simply works. Lots of previous IMAP issues have vanished, and their spam filtering is very reliable, much better than my experience with Postini. You get a few bells and whistles, their web-based email interface is pretty slick, clean design and fast. My favorite is 7-day or 12-month email archive retention, so no matter how badly a user's email gets corrupted, lost, or mangled, recovering the whole mailbox, or just a few messages is a few clicks away.

HTH,
Max

On Mar 28, 2010, at 5:19 PM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:

> I'm looking for a new host for my Lasso sites, as well as separate mail hosting.  I've looked at the following services.  Does anyone have any feedback or alternatives to suggest?
>
> The most important factors for me are service reliability and support availability.
>
> LiquidWeb (dedicated server)
> https://www.liquidweb.com/cart/content/dedicated/
>
> SliceHost (virtual private server)
> http://www.slicehost.com/
>
> Rackspace Cloud (cloud server)
> http://www.rackspacecloud.com/cloud_hosting_products/servers/pricing
>
> I'm having a hard time justifying the higher cost of a dedicated server compared to the virtual and cloud options.  Virtual and cloud servers are portable, easier to recover from disasters, and can be provisioned within minutes.  Are there other factors I should consider?
>
> In regards to mail hosting, I have experience with Rackspace, and I'd like to consider other options.  Mail hosting is just a headache and I would like to give my clients the option of contacting live support 24/7/365.
> http://www.rackspace.com/apps/email_hosting/
>
> Finally I host a few mail lists--discussion, subscription management, bounce management--something like mailman or majordomo.  Nabble seems to fill this need.  Are there any others?
>
> --steve
>
> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
> <[hidden email]>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>

Re: Server Hosting Recommendations - Dedicated, Virtual or Cloud

Mark Palmer
Talk to Chris Wik at ANU he's a very helpful guy - http://www.anu.net/

We're using their Xen virtual machines - very flexible. He has space in Amsterdam and I believe Chicago.

On 29 Mar 2010, at 01:19, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:

> I'm looking for a new host for my Lasso sites, as well as separate mail hosting.  I've looked at the following services.  Does anyone have any feedback or alternatives to suggest?
>
> The most important factors for me are service reliability and support availability.
>
> LiquidWeb (dedicated server)
> https://www.liquidweb.com/cart/content/dedicated/
>
> SliceHost (virtual private server)
> http://www.slicehost.com/
>
> Rackspace Cloud (cloud server)
> http://www.rackspacecloud.com/cloud_hosting_products/servers/pricing
>
> I'm having a hard time justifying the higher cost of a dedicated server compared to the virtual and cloud options.  Virtual and cloud servers are portable, easier to recover from disasters, and can be provisioned within minutes.  Are there other factors I should consider?
>
> In regards to mail hosting, I have experience with Rackspace, and I'd like to consider other options.  Mail hosting is just a headache and I would like to give my clients the option of contacting live support 24/7/365.
> http://www.rackspace.com/apps/email_hosting/
>
> Finally I host a few mail lists--discussion, subscription management, bounce management--something like mailman or majordomo.  Nabble seems to fill this need.  Are there any others?
>
> --steve
>
> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
> <[hidden email]>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>

Regards

Mark Palmer
E: [hidden email]
T: 01902 620500
W: www.pageworks.co.uk

Re: Server Hosting Recommendations - Dedicated, Virtual or Cloud

Laurent-40
Hello Maxwell,

We are using http://iweb.com/ data center wich provide a very efficient
service. They have dedicated, shared and colocation at very good prices. 3
data centers located in Montréal QC.

Laurent

> [...]
>> minutes.  Are there other factors I should consider?
>>
>> In regards to mail hosting, I have experience with Rackspace, and I'd like to
>> consider other options.  Mail hosting is just a headache and I would like to
>> give my clients the option of contacting live support 24/7/365.
>> http://www.rackspace.com/apps/email_hosting/
>>
>> Finally I host a few mail lists--discussion, subscription management, bounce
>> management--something like mailman or majordomo.  Nabble seems to fill this
>> need.  Are there any others?
>>
>> --steve
>>
>> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
>> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
>> <[hidden email]>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>

Re: Server Hosting Recommendations - Dedicated, Virtual or Cloud

John May-2
Have a look at our services too:

        http://www.pointinspace.com/

We offer both virtual and hardware dedicated OS X servers, as well as
virtual CentOS servers.  We don't currently have our virtual and
hardware dedicated server rates posted on our site - contact us at
[hidden email] with your requirements for a quote accordingly.

Thanks!

        - John

On 3/29/10 10:12 AM, Laurent wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> SliceHost (virtual private server)
>>> http://www.slicehost.com/
>>>
>>> Rackspace Cloud (cloud server)
>>> http://www.rackspacecloud.com/cloud_hosting_products/servers/pricing
>>>
>>> I'm having a hard time justifying the higher cost of a dedicated server
>>> compared to the virtual and cloud options.  Virtual and cloud servers are
>>> portable, easier to recover from disasters, and can be provisioned within
>>> minutes.  Are there other factors I should consider?
>>>
>>> In regards to mail hosting, I have experience with Rackspace, and I'd like to
>>> consider other options.  Mail hosting is just a headache and I would like to
>>> give my clients the option of contacting live support 24/7/365.
>>> http://www.rackspace.com/apps/email_hosting/
>>>
>>> Finally I host a few mail lists--discussion, subscription management, bounce
>>> management--something like mailman or majordomo.  Nabble seems to fill this

John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]

        Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
           on shared, virtual and hardware dedicated servers

Re: Server Hosting Recommendations - Dedicated, Virtual or Cloud

Jim Van Heule-3
We use LiquidWeb, but for colocation. The service is 24/7 and is incredible. Jason Huck uses LiquidWeb similar to the way you are considering.

We also use Rackspace and are a reseller for them. You can become a reseller and give specific clients 24/7 support. I think the starting minimum is $150/month. You have to specify who can talk to them however. In my situation, I provide the initial email support and if its something I can't handle, I submit a ticket to Rackspace and cc the client in question. Rackspace than works with both directly. It works for me.

Jim Van Heule
Heunox Corporation
www.Heunox.com

Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote on 3/28/2010 5:19 PM:
> I'm looking for a new host for my Lasso sites, as well as separate mail
> hosting.  I've looked at the following services.  Does anyone have any
> feedback or alternatives to suggest?

I use Anu.net; Chris Wik knows Lasso and it comes pre-installed and if you have any questions, he responds quickly.  They also offer a managed email service if you don't want to run your own mail server.  If you go with Anu, the other service I use is VPN, so that when I'm traveling and using an unsecured network, I can securely tunnel to Anu, then use the internet through them.