Server Colocation and Backups

Marc Pinnell-3
I am about to move my server off site into a colocation with a local
ISP (gaining redundant connections, redundant power, etc), but have
one last hurdle to clear. Anyone willing to share what they do for
backups on their offsite boxes? I am running a G4 Dual 867, OSX.3.9,
Web* V and Lasso 8.1.

TIA,

Marc Pinnell
1027 Consulting
web << DESIGN >> print
PO Box 990872; Redding, CA 96099-0872
www.1027Consulting.com

Re: Server Colocation and Backups

Lee Glickenhaus
on 12/14/05 4:35 PM, Marc Pinnell wrote:

> I am about to move my server off site into a colocation with a local
> ISP (gaining redundant connections, redundant power, etc), but have
> one last hurdle to clear. Anyone willing to share what they do for
> backups on their offsite boxes? I am running a G4 Dual 867, OSX.3.9,
> Web* V and Lasso 8.1.
>
> TIA,
> Marc

I do it 3 ways:

    1) I backup to a firewire drive at my colo
    2) I backup over the Net to my office
    3) I have a macminicolo.net Mini ($25 a month -- such a deal!) that I
also back up to

    Covers a lot of bases

lee

Re: Server Colocation and Backups

Marc Pinnell-3
What and how do you backup over the net? Retrospect, command line?

marc

on 12/14/05 6:07 PM, Marc Pinnell wrote:

> What and how do you backup over the net? Retrospect, command line?
>
> marc

Retrospect for my files (server root)

I use Navicat to back up my mySQL dbs

Re: Server Colocation and Backups

Jim Van Heule
That's pretty much what I do as well.

--
Jim Van Heule
Heunox Corporation

On Dec 14, 2005, at 5:44 PM, Lee Glickenhaus wrote:

> on 12/14/05 4:35 PM, Marc Pinnell wrote:
>
>> I am about to move my server off site into a colocation with a local
>> ISP (gaining redundant connections, redundant power, etc), but have
>> one last hurdle to clear. Anyone willing to share what they do for
>> backups on their offsite boxes? I am running a G4 Dual 867, OSX.3.9,
>> Web* V and Lasso 8.1.
>>
>> TIA,
>> Marc
>

> I do it 3 ways:
>
>     1) I backup to a firewire drive at my colo
>     2) I backup over the Net to my office
>     3) I have a macminicolo.net Mini ($25 a month -- such a deal!)
> that I
> also back up to
>
>     Covers a lot of bases
>
> lee

Re: Server Colocation and Backups

Mason Miller
I just got FiOS for my house a few weeks ago, and I am using
Restospect to back up to a machine here.  I am looking at using RSync
to do my backing up.  Is anyone here doing this already?

The FiOS rocks, BTW, I am getting 3.2 MBs when downloading big files
from my servers.  The package I have is 30 Mbps down and 5 Mbps up
for $54 per month.  I am getting a business version installed as well
that provides 15 Mbps down/ 2 Mbps up with 5 static IP's for $99/mo.
I am still keeping my servers at a Equinix.... I like the power/
security/speed/service lever, etc, but for backup mail/DNS/backups
this FiOS is going to rock.  I imagine that a lot of folks will be
hosting with commercial version in the future, just as I did for
years on a T1 to the house.

Mason

on 12/14/05 8:52 PM, Mason Miller wrote:

> I just got FiOS for my house a few weeks ago

I'm SOOOOOO jealous

lee

Re: Server Colocation and Backups

Simon Forster

On 15 Dec 2005, at 01:52, Mason Miller wrote:

> I am looking at using RSync to do my backing up.  Is anyone here
> doing this already?

I use rsync for backing up both my own and client servers. I find it
to be a solid, stable solution - although set up can be a bit of a
bear. I use it to back up to internal hard drives, external firewire
drives and remote servers using SSH.

IMHO, the big advantage over Retrospect is that files can be stored
as files in a similar directory structure to the master disk. This
means that I can just go in and pick up one file if need be. I've
found that people screwing up a single file is a more common
occurrence than a whole volume going AWOL. With rsync it's a fairly
trivial matter to navigate to the backup and get it back - the
drawback is that I don't use compression for saving files so backup
volumes need to be at least as large as masters.

Enough rambling.

Simon Forster
  LDML Ltd, 62 Pall Mall, London, SW1Y 5HZ, UK
  Tel: +44 (0)70 9230 5244   Fax: +44 (0)70 9230 5247

Re: Server Colocation and Backups

Bret Williams
I have been using Backjack (www.backjack.com) for some time now, and
for me, it's the best solution. No tapes, disks, etc. Works
flawlessly and e-mails me reports when back-ups run so I know all is
well. The back-ups are encrypted and restores have worked really
well. Our server is hosted by FlagshipHosting.com (co-lo).

On Dec 14, 2005, at 1:35 PM, Marc Pinnell wrote:

> I am about to move my server off site into a colocation with a
> local ISP (gaining redundant connections, redundant power, etc),
> but have one last hurdle to clear. Anyone willing to share what
> they do for backups on their offsite boxes? I am running a G4 Dual
> 867, OSX.3.9, Web* V and Lasso 8.1.
>
> TIA,
> Marc

Bret Williams
General Manager
Novusweb

www.Novusweb.com

760.942.3773 voice
866.668.8793 toll-free

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail document, including all
contain confidential and privileged information.  If you are not the
intended recipient, you may NOT use, disclose, copy, or disseminate
this information.  Please contact the sender by reply immediately and
destroy all copies of the original message including all
attachments.  Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.