Serious problems after upgrade to 8.1

Anibal Escobar
Hello everyone, I upgraded to 8.1 this week from 8.0.  The problem
I'm having is this:

The websites I'm running are ecommerce sites that share an SSL
certificate on one virtual server.  In addition, I use a oneFile
system for the individual ecommerce sites I'm running.  The way they
work is that when someone goes to an https page, Web* redirects the
request back to originating web folder via a rewrite.  The oneFile
page has includes which create the pages seen by visitors.  What's
happening now is that the includes are getting mixed up amongst the
virtual hosts I'm running. So, for example, both domain1.com and
domain2.com use include files called 'toplinks.incl'.  These are
separate files in each virtual host folder.  However, domain1 is
getting domain2's include file!

In addition, when I re-save the include file, the problem goes away
for domain2, but now domain2 is getting domain1's include file.
There's all sorts of other weirdness going on, but only on the pages
that are redirected with the rewrite.

It would appear like something between the rewrite, the https, and/or
lasso's cache is getting mixed up.

I'm going back to 8.0 because I can't have these sites like this, but
I would like to figure this out.  TIA, Anibal Escobar

Re: Serious problems after upgrade to 8.1

Peter D Bethke
I have seen this behavior too. I am guessing that it is caching.

The preferred method now is to segregate sites using the sites
feature in lasso admin. 8.1 makes this all the more relevant it
appears that the aggressive caching will play havoc with sites that
use the same settings and rely on standard included files, like a
siteconfig.inc.

Peter

On Sep 23, 2005, at 3:30 PM, Anibal Escobar wrote:

> Hello everyone, I upgraded to 8.1 this week from 8.0.  The problem
> I'm having is this:
>
> The websites I'm running are ecommerce sites that share an SSL
> certificate on one virtual server.  In addition, I use a oneFile
> system for the individual ecommerce sites I'm running.  The way
> they work is that when someone goes to an https page, Web*
> redirects the request back to originating web folder via a
> rewrite.  The oneFile page has includes which create the pages seen
> by visitors.  What's happening now is that the includes are getting
> mixed up amongst the virtual hosts I'm running. So, for example,
> both domain1.com and domain2.com use include files called
> 'toplinks.incl'.  These are separate files in each virtual host
> folder.  However, domain1 is getting domain2's include file!
>
> In addition, when I re-save the include file, the problem goes away
> for domain2, but now domain2 is getting domain1's include file.
> There's all sorts of other weirdness going on, but only on the
> pages that are redirected with the rewrite.
>
> It would appear like something between the rewrite, the https, and/
> or lasso's cache is getting mixed up.
>
> I'm going back to 8.0 because I can't have these sites like this,
> but I would like to figure this out.  TIA, Anibal Escobar

Re: Serious problems after upgrade to 8.1

Kyle Jessup
On Sep 23, 2005, at 3:30 PM, Anibal Escobar wrote:

> Hello everyone, I upgraded to 8.1 this week from 8.0.  The problem
> I'm having is this:
>
> The websites I'm running are ecommerce sites that share an SSL
> certificate on one virtual server.  In addition, I use a oneFile
> system for the individual ecommerce sites I'm running.  The way
> they work is that when someone goes to an https page, Web*
> redirects the request back to originating web folder via a
> rewrite.  The oneFile page has includes which create the pages seen
> by visitors.  What's happening now is that the includes are getting
> mixed up amongst the virtual hosts I'm running. So, for example,
> both domain1.com and domain2.com use include files called
> 'toplinks.incl'.  These are separate files in each virtual host
> folder.  However, domain1 is getting domain2's include file!
>
> In addition, when I re-save the include file, the problem goes away
> for domain2, but now domain2 is getting domain1's include file.
> There's all sorts of other weirdness going on, but only on the
> pages that are redirected with the rewrite.
>
> It would appear like something between the rewrite, the https, and/
> or lasso's cache is getting mixed up.
>
> I'm going back to 8.0 because I can't have these sites like this,
> but I would like to figure this out.  TIA, Anibal Escobar

Lasso separates individual documents in its cache by the value of
server_name, server_port, and then the path to the file. This was
added some time after 8.0. What does [server_name] return on each one
of those domains?

-K

Re: Serious problems after upgrade to 8.1

Alan Linnenbank
I can confirm though that LP8.1 hold documents in its cache longer then before, what we see now is that sometimes when a file is called by lasso (when that particular file is not fully uploaded yet) Lasso holds the partial file in its cache.

Probably because the file mod date is changed at the first changes off the file and not after completion, this is on OSX.

On a busy site this can be annoying an because we now sometimes have to restart lasso in order to clear lasso's corrupted cache.

Alan

On zaterdag, 24 september 2005 19:27, Kyle Jessup <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Sep 23, 2005, at 3:30 PM, Anibal Escobar wrote:
>> Hello everyone, I upgraded to 8.1 this week from 8.0.  The problem
>> I'm having is this:
>>
>> The websites I'm running are ecommerce sites that share an SSL
>> certificate on one virtual server.  In addition, I use a oneFile
>> system for the individual ecommerce sites I'm running.  The way
>> they work is that when someone goes to an https page, Web*
>> redirects the request back to originating web folder via a
>> rewrite.  The oneFile page has includes which create the pages seen
>> by visitors.  What's happening now is that the includes are getting
>> mixed up amongst the virtual hosts I'm running. So, for example,
>> both domain1.com and domain2.com use include files called
>> 'toplinks.incl'.  These are separate files in each virtual host
>> folder.  However, domain1 is getting domain2's include file!
>>
>> In addition, when I re-save the include file, the problem goes away
>> for domain2, but now domain2 is getting domain1's include file.
>> There's all sorts of other weirdness going on, but only on the
>> pages that are redirected with the rewrite.
>>
>> It would appear like something between the rewrite, the https, and/
>> or lasso's cache is getting mixed up.
>>
>> I'm going back to 8.0 because I can't have these sites like this,
>> but I would like to figure this out.  TIA, Anibal Escobar
>
>Lasso separates individual documents in its cache by the value of
>server_name, server_port, and then the path to the file. This was
>added some time after 8.0. What does [server_name] return on each one
>of those domains?
>
>-K

Re: Serious problems after upgrade to 8.1

Clive Bruton

On 24 Sep 2005, at 19:54, Alan Linnenbank wrote:

> On a busy site this can be annoying an because we now sometimes
> have to restart lasso in order to clear lasso's corrupted cache.

Sounds like a "clear cache" feature request is in order.

 From what I remember WebStar had a cache feature like this, but
rather than cache paths it cached file IDs (which are unique) - this
may no longer be available under MacOS X, and may be impossible to
implement under other OSs anyway.

-- Clive

Re: Serious problems after upgrade to 8.1

Anibal Escobar
Hi, yes you're right, my problem is not an 8.1 problem.  Before I
upgraded to 8.1, I had been running 8.01.  After the problem I wrote
about, I downgraded to 8.0.5 and lo and behold, I experienced the
same behavior as 8.1.  I tried to downgrade again to 8.0.1, but after
the reinstall of 8.0.1, nothing worked.  For example, trying to
connect to serveradmin.lassoapp resulted in an error page (something
about tags not being supported?).  Instead of trying to figure out
how to solve this problem late on Saturday, I upgraded to 8.1 again
and decided to change the way the affected websites work so that I
wouldn't need the Web* rewrite.  What a pain!

Thanks to all who responded.  Anibal