Searching FM DB problem with lasso

rdwyer
Hello List.
It's been a while since I have used anything other than MySQL for a DB
but I have a page that needs to search a FM db for an email address.

However the search returns a error code of -1728 for no records found
even though I am looking at the record with the value I am searching.

My code looks like this:

[inline: -Search,
-Database='FM_DB_Source',
-Table='FM_Table',
-UserName='my_user',
-Password='my_pass',
-KeyField='recordid',
-Operator='eq',
'emailaddress'=(var:'email'),
-MaxRecords=1]

My email variable is displays the correct value, email address field
is on the page I am searching, but it still returns no records.

FM Server 9 & LP 8.5

Thanks,
Rick

Re: Searching FM DB problem with lasso

Bil Corry-3
Rick Dwyer wrote on 7/31/2008 1:14 PM:
> My email variable is displays the correct value, email address field is
> on the page I am searching, but it still returns no records.

IIRC, the "@" symbol has special meaning in Filemaker searches.  I don't recall the solution, but it'll be in the archives; I think you have to do an exact FM search by adding a second "=" sign, or set the field to ASCII indexing, or something funky like that.

Re: Searching FM DB problem with lasso

Doug Gentry
This is an issue that comes up often with Filemaker. The @ in the
address has a special purpose in FM.

If you want to search on the email address, go to Define Database >>
Fields and find the Email field. Then click on Options, and then find
the tab for Storage. There is a pulldown list in that window for
indexing. Instead of English, choose Unicode.

The one gotcha is that searching on this field now becomes case
sensitive, so if [hidden email] is stored and someone enters [hidden email]
- the search will fail.

...Doug

On Jul 31, 2008, at 2:14 PM, Rick Dwyer wrote:

> Hello List.
> It's been a while since I have used anything other than MySQL for a
> DB but I have a page that needs to search a FM db for an email
> address.
>
> However the search returns a error code of -1728 for no records
> found even though I am looking at the record with the value I am
> searching.
>
> My code looks like this:
>
> [inline: -Search,
> -Database='FM_DB_Source',
> -Table='FM_Table',
> -UserName='my_user',
> -Password='my_pass',
> -KeyField='recordid',
> -Operator='eq',
> 'emailaddress'=(var:'email'),
> -MaxRecords=1]
>
> My email variable is displays the correct value, email address field
> is on the page I am searching, but it still returns no records.
>
> FM Server 9 & LP 8.5
>
> Thanks,
> Rick

Doug Gentry
Dynapolis & Southern Oregon University
p:  541-261-8501 / Toll Free: 866-890-6013
[hidden email]
www.dynapolis.com - blog: www.plain-sense.com

On Jul 31, 2008, at 2:25 PM, Bil Corry wrote:

> Rick Dwyer wrote on 7/31/2008 1:14 PM:
>> My email variable is displays the correct value, email address
>> field is on the page I am searching, but it still returns no records.
>
> IIRC, the "@" symbol has special meaning in Filemaker searches.  I
> don't recall the solution, but it'll be in the archives; I think you
> have to do an exact FM search by adding a second "=" sign, or set
> the field to ASCII indexing, or something funky like that.

Thanks Bil,
This was driving me crazy.
Now that you mention it, I do remember this coming up before.

Thanks again.

Rick

> - Bil

Re: Searching FM DB problem with lasso

Robert Chapin-2
You would have to enclose the e-mail address in quotes.

On Jul 31, 2008, at 2:33 PM, Robert Chapin wrote:

> You would have to enclose the e-mail address in quotes.
That did it, thanks.
Rick

> R-
>
> On Jul 31, 2008, at 2:25 PM, Bil Corry wrote:
>
>> Rick Dwyer wrote on 7/31/2008 1:14 PM:
>>> My email variable is displays the correct value, email address
>>> field is on the page I am searching, but it still returns no
>>> records.
>>
>> IIRC, the "@" symbol has special meaning in Filemaker searches.  I
>> don't recall the solution, but it'll be in the archives; I think
>> you have to do an exact FM search by adding a second "=" sign, or
>> set the field to ASCII indexing, or something funky like that.
>>

>> - Bil

Re: Searching FM DB problem with lasso

On Thursday, July 31, 2008, [hidden email] (Rick Dwyer) pronounced:

>However the search returns a error code of -1728 for no records found
>even though I am looking at the record with the value I am searching.
>
>My code looks like this:
>
>[inline: -Search,
>-Database='FM_DB_Source',
>-Table='FM_Table',
>-UserName='my_user',
>-Password='my_pass',
>-KeyField='recordid',
>-Operator='eq',
>'emailaddress'=(var:'email'),
>-MaxRecords=1]
>
>My email variable is displays the correct value, email address field
>is on the page I am searching, but it still returns no records.
>
>FM Server 9 & LP 8.5

What kind of indexing do you have for the field 'emailaddress'?  You must set the indexing on the field to allow "@" to be searched.  In earlier versions, the indexing I think was called "ASCII", and now it is called "Unicode".  In FM, go to File > Define Database, select the field you want to modify, then click [Options...].  Under the Storage tab, under Indexing, select Default language... as Unicode.  Note that these are not the same and will return 0 results:

Also I don't see the purpose of using a -keyfield parameter without a -keyvalue when searching.

On Jul 31, 2008, at 3:19 PM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:

> On Thursday, July 31, 2008, [hidden email] (Rick Dwyer)
> pronounced:
>
>> However the search returns a error code of -1728 for no records found
>> even though I am looking at the record with the value I am searching.
>>
>> My code looks like this:
>>
>> [inline: -Search,
>> -Database='FM_DB_Source',
>> -Table='FM_Table',
>> -UserName='my_user',
>> -Password='my_pass',
>> -KeyField='recordid',
>> -Operator='eq',
>> 'emailaddress'=(var:'email'),
>> -MaxRecords=1]
>>
>> My email variable is displays the correct value, email address field
>> is on the page I am searching, but it still returns no records.
>>
>> FM Server 9 & LP 8.5
>
> What kind of indexing do you have for the field 'emailaddress'?  You
> must set the indexing on the field to allow "@" to be searched.  In
> earlier versions, the indexing I think was called "ASCII", and now
> it is called "Unicode".  In FM, go to File > Define Database, select
> the field you want to modify, then click [Options...].  Under the
> Storage tab, under Indexing, select Default language... as Unicode.
> Note that these are not the same and will return 0 results:

> Also I don't see the purpose of using a -keyfield parameter without
> a -keyvalue when searching.

I tried the search concatenating a quote mark on each side of it and
it works fine.  So in FileMaker it is doing a literal search.

As far as the -keyfield goes, it isn't doing anything at all, it got
left there when I was trying a number of things to get this to work.

Rick