SPSS files

Lars A. Gundersen-2
Hi,

I currently make html-table-based Excel files from Lasso, and that
seems to work well and cross-platform. But what about making files
that SPSS can swallow, i.e. table-like contents that the data viewer
can open easily? If anybody do it or know how, please shed some light.
Please.

Lars
--
Lars A. Gundersen
http://www.larsagundersen.no/ • +47 91 64 46 10

Re: SPSS files

Doug Gentry
I'm pretty sure SPSS can open Excel files directly.

....Doug Gentry

On Sep 12, 2008, at 2:53 PM, Lars A. Gundersen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I currently make html-table-based Excel files from Lasso, and that
> seems to work well and cross-platform. But what about making files
> that SPSS can swallow, i.e. table-like contents that the data viewer
> can open easily? If anybody do it or know how, please shed some
> light. Please.
>
> Lars
> --
> Lars A. Gundersen
> http://www.larsagundersen.no/ • +47 91 64 46 10

Doug Gentry
Dynapolis & Southern Oregon University
p:  541-261-8501 / Toll Free: 866-890-6013
[hidden email]
www.dynapolis.com - blog: www.plain-sense.com

Re: SPSS files

Trevor Jacques
>I'm pretty sure SPSS can open Excel files directly.

It opens .txt files fine, too. It's what I use for The Surveyor (I
export as .lasso to protect them, and then do a quick extension name
change). Works like a charm.

T.

Re: SPSS files

Lars A. Gundersen-2

Den 13. sep.. 2008 kl. 00.03 skrev Trevor Jacques:

>> I'm pretty sure SPSS can open Excel files directly.
>
> It opens .txt files fine, too. It's what I use for The Surveyor (I
> export as .lasso to protect them, and then do a quick extension name
> change). Works like a charm.

  It does not open the files I produce for Excel directly. I'm sure it
can open a native Excel file, but when I feed it a html-table based
file with an .xls extension, which Excel opens directly, it goes into
text import mode. Not a viable solution. As for text files, yes it
opens them, but also uses the same text import wizard. It works, but
is not elegant. I guess I was hoping for a format that I could produce
in Lasso and that SPSS could open directly.

Lars

--
Lars A. Gundersen
http://www.larsagundersen.no/ • +47 91 64 46 10

Re: SPSS files

Trevor Jacques
>I guess I was hoping for a format that I could produce in Lasso and
>that SPSS could open directly.

Don't forget that SPSS behaviour often varies greatly depending on
the version and OS. This applies to import, too. Sad, but true.

T.

Re: SPSS files

Tim Taplin
How does SPSS handle csv files? I've found that format to be the most
reliable for multiple applications to be able to open in a
spreadsheet style format.

Den 13. sep.. 2008 kl. 18.21 skrev Tim Taplin:

> How does SPSS handle csv files? I've found that format to be the
> most reliable for multiple applications to be able to open in a
> spreadsheet style format.

I don't know. Anybody has a csv-file to send me for testing, i'd be
happy to check. Or any other type of file, Lasso produced, that might
be a candidate for easy-SPSS-opening, for that matter.
I have SPSS 14 for Windows (in Parallels).

Lars

Lars A. Gundersen wrote on 9/13/2008 10:40 AM:
>  It does not open the files I produce for Excel directly. I'm sure it
> can open a native Excel file, but when I feed it a html-table based file
> with an .xls extension, which Excel opens directly, it goes into text
> import mode. Not a viable solution. As for text files, yes it opens
> them, but also uses the same text import wizard. It works, but is not
> elegant. I guess I was hoping for a format that I could produce in Lasso
> and that SPSS could open directly.

Well, some quick searches turned up the following:

(1) You can provide the data in either a SPSS .sav binary format or SPSS .por ASCII format.

(2) The mime types for the above are the same:

        application/x-spss-sav   SPSS system file     .sav
        application/x-spss-sav   SPSS portable file   .por

        (from: http://libraries.mit.edu/dspace-mit/build/policies/format.html)

Be sure to serve the file as that mime-type to best get SPSS to directly open the file.

(3) I couldn't find the file specification for either format, although if you can find it for the .por file, since it's ASCII, it'd be easy to create.

(4) I did find a Java library to create the .sav format; you could create a LJAPI tag to create .sav files from within Lasso.  It's $400 though:

        http://spss.pmstation.com/

Re: SPSS files

Lars A. Gundersen-2
Den 14. sep.. 2008 kl. 04.39 skrev Bil Corry:

> Lars A. Gundersen wrote on 9/13/2008 10:40 AM:
>> It does not open the files I produce for Excel directly. I'm sure
>> it can open a native Excel file, but when I feed it a html-table
>> based file with an .xls extension, which Excel opens directly, it
>> goes into text import mode. Not a viable solution. As for text
>> files, yes it opens them, but also uses the same text import
>> wizard. It works, but is not elegant. I guess I was hoping for a
>> format that I could produce in Lasso and that SPSS could open
>> directly.
>
> Well, some quick searches turned up the following:
>
> (1) You can provide the data in either a SPSS .sav binary format or
> SPSS .por ASCII format.
>
> (2) The mime types for the above are the same:
>
> application/x-spss-sav   SPSS system file     .sav
> application/x-spss-sav   SPSS portable file   .por
>
> (from: http://libraries.mit.edu/dspace-mit/build/policies/
> format.html)
>
> Be sure to serve the file as that mime-type to best get SPSS to
> directly open the file.
>
> (3) I couldn't find the file specification for either format,
> although if you can find it for the .por file, since it's ASCII,
> it'd be easy to create.
>
> (4) I did find a Java library to create the .sav format; you could
> create a LJAPI tag to create .sav files from within Lasso.  It's
> $400 though:
>
> http://spss.pmstation.com/

Thanks, Bil!

How many hours do you think it would take for someone with the skill
to create such an LJAPI tag? I am not, and think perhaps it would be
wiser to spend my time on other things, and outsource such a task. My
input would simply be an array of arrays with data, I suppose.

Lars

--
Lars A. Gundersen
http://www.larsagundersen.no/ • +47 91 64 46 10

Re: SPSS files

Bil Corry-3
Lars A. Gundersen wrote on 9/15/2008 3:55 AM:
> How many hours do you think it would take for someone with the skill to
> create such an LJAPI tag? I am not, and think perhaps it would be wiser
> to spend my time on other things, and outsource such a task. My input
> would simply be an array of arrays with data, I suppose.

It depends on how fancy you want it.  The Java library accepts CSV-formatted text (or XML) and outputs the SPSS binary data.  So if you wanted to limit it to just providing a CSV string and return the binary stream, then it's probably less than a day of work.  If you wanted to allow XML as an input, and/or inputting from a file, and/or outputting to a file, and/or allowing an array of arrays to be passed in, then it adds more development time.