SMS text messages

Tom Parker-15
Searching the list, I see a post referencing a third party utility to send
SMS text messages:
http://www.listsearch.com/Lasso/Message/index.lasso?225551

Does Lasso provide a direct way to send these messages?  Is it possible to
use Email_Compose to develop a custom message type?  I would need to send to
a cell phone number--basic functionality is exactly like when Verizon sends
you your cell phone bill as a text message.  We'll be using it for doctors
as an alternative to pagers.

Thanks,

--Tom Parker

Re: SMS text messages

Fletcher Sandbeck-3
On 8/9/07 at 9:17 AM, [hidden email] (Tom Parker) wrote:

>Searching the list, I see a post referencing a third party
>utility to send SMS text messages: http://www.listsearch.com/Lasso/Message/index.lasso?225551
>
>Does Lasso provide a direct way to send these messages?  Is it
>possible to use Email_Compose to develop a custom message type?  I
>would need to send to a cell phone number--basic functionality is
>exactly like when Verizon sends you your cell phone bill as a text
>message.  We'll be using it for doctors as an alternative to pagers.

Many cell phone providers have an email address that you can
send to to create a text message.  Often, it is as simple as
[hidden email] or something like
[hidden email].  However, this will probably differ
between providers so may not be ideal unless all the phones are
provided for the doctors.

This looks promising.  They offer a lot of different ways to
send SMS messages.  You might be able to adapt one of them for
use with Lasso.  Although, it does cost money.
<http://www.smsmac.com/en/index.html>

This is also interesting, sending SMS messages from iChat/AIM.
<http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030625235057445>

LassoSoft, LLC                          http://www.lassosoft.com

Re: SMS text messages

Ke Carlton-2
We use the UK version of http://www.bulksms.com/  (US version)

The offer good rates and very simple integration. Their system can
cope with single messages or 10,000+ messages regularly. I assume
their US division is equally competent.

Ke.

On 8/9/07, Fletcher Sandbeck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/9/07 at 9:17 AM, [hidden email] (Tom Parker) wrote:
>
> >Searching the list, I see a post referencing a third party
> >utility to send SMS text messages: http://www.listsearch.com/Lasso/Message/index.lasso?225551
> >
> >Does Lasso provide a direct way to send these messages?  Is it
> >possible to use Email_Compose to develop a custom message type?  I
> >would need to send to a cell phone number--basic functionality is
> >exactly like when Verizon sends you your cell phone bill as a text
> >message.  We'll be using it for doctors as an alternative to pagers.
>
> Many cell phone providers have an email address that you can
> send to to create a text message.  Often, it is as simple as
> [hidden email] or something like
> [hidden email].  However, this will probably differ
> between providers so may not be ideal unless all the phones are
> provided for the doctors.
>
> This looks promising.  They offer a lot of different ways to
> send SMS messages.  You might be able to adapt one of them for
> use with Lasso.  Although, it does cost money.
> <http://www.smsmac.com/en/index.html>
>
> This is also interesting, sending SMS messages from iChat/AIM.
> <http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030625235057445>
>
> [fletcher]
>
> --
> Fletcher Sandbeck                         [hidden email]
> LassoSoft, LLC                          http://www.lassosoft.com

Re: SMS text messages

Olivier Miossec
> Searching the list, I see a post referencing a third party utility to
> send  SMS text messages:
> http://www.listsearch.com/Lasso/Message/index.lasso?225551
>
> Does Lasso provide a direct way to send these messages?  Is it possible
> to  use Email_Compose to develop a custom message type?  I would need
> to send to  a cell phone number--basic functionality is exactly like
> when Verizon sends  you your cell phone bill as a text message.  We'll
> be using it for doctors  as an alternative to pagers.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Tom Parker

There are 2 ways to do that.
You can use a gateways from some provider (some are using API you can use
with lasso check the archive)
Or you can use a GSM/GPRS modem (or a mobile phone) and send sms througt the
serial port of your server.

But becarfull, SMS delevry, sometime, are not imediate. So for emergency, it
may be not the good solution.

And why not use a blackberry device instead ?

---
Olivier Miossec
AIM/ichat omiossec
--
http://www.lasso-developpeur.net

Re: SMS text messages

Simon Forster

On 9 Aug 2007, at 16:17, Tom Parker wrote:

> Searching the list, I see a post referencing a third party utility
> to send SMS text messages: http://www.listsearch.com/Lasso/Message/
> index.lasso?225551

I'm sure there are hundreds of organisations offering simple internet
to email gateways. Regularly I use <http://www.kapow.co.uk/> for
sending emails. They have a simple http post mechanism which you can
call using lasso's include_url tag.

If I wanted a giggle, it'd be neat to write a little routine to send
SMS messages out via Skype. Queue SMS messages in MySQL and then have
a small (perl?) script to get the next unsent message and zap it
through Skype. Ooo. Almost persuaded myself to have a go at this when
I've got a free moment.

Ah. Just remembered, next free moment is scheduled in for 2015.

Simon Forster

Re: SMS text messages

James Harvard
>I would need to send to a cell phone number
> We'll be using it for doctors as an alternative to pagers.

Er, as in "come quick - this one's really ill" messages? If so be sure that SMS gives you the same level of coverage and reliability as pagers, as a failed SMS delivery could have unpleasant consequences for all concerned (i.e. the patient, the doctors and ultimately you).

Wikipedia has all the specific points I was going to raise:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pager

I have SMS delivery reports enabled, notifying me when a text is delivered. Most of the time I get a report of a successful delivery within seconds. That's *most* of the time.

Sorry to be a bit negative but HTH in the long run,
James

Re: SMS text messages

Lieven Gekiere-2
Hi,

I've made something small a couple of months ago. We use the SMSbox.be
'http service'.
With the 'include_URL' function I can easily send an sms.

Check this url for my example :
http://www.shpartners.com/downloads/sms_sender.zip

Lieven

On 8/9/07, James Harvard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >I would need to send to a cell phone number
> > We'll be using it for doctors as an alternative to pagers.
>
> Er, as in "come quick - this one's really ill" messages? If so be sure that SMS gives you the same level of coverage and reliability as pagers, as a failed SMS delivery could have unpleasant consequences for all concerned (i.e. the patient, the doctors and ultimately you).
>
> Wikipedia has all the specific points I was going to raise:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pager
>
> I have SMS delivery reports enabled, notifying me when a text is delivered. Most of the time I get a report of a successful delivery within seconds. That's *most* of the time.
>
> Sorry to be a bit negative but HTH in the long run,
>
> James

Re: SMS text messages

Tom Parker-15
To summarize so far, it sounds like there are several possible ways to do
this:

--SMS gateway (several providers exist), integrate with their API using
Lasso seems  ideal, except the cost seems to be around 5 cents per message
which could add up if we use this for all the possible potential uses,
although I suspect there would be bulk discounts out there;

--send via ichat/AIM--probably not for our purposes as I need this to be
automated/event driven;

--use a modem via the server's serial port--this seems like it would limit
the number of messages you could send?;

--integrate with Skype?--possibility worth pursuing, any limitations?

--use email addresses associated with cell phone numbers--limitation is
different providers have different email address formats.  However, we could
set this up as an opt-in feature where the doctors enter the cell phone's
email address as part of their profile.

Other thoughts?

Thanks for all the replies!

--Tom

> On 9 Aug 2007, at 16:17, Tom Parker wrote:
>
>> Searching the list, I see a post referencing a third party utility  to
>> send SMS text messages: http://www.listsearch.com/Lasso/Message/
>> index.lasso?225551
>
> I'm sure there are hundreds of organisations offering simple internet  to
> email gateways. Regularly I use <http://www.kapow.co.uk/> for  sending
> emails. They have a simple http post mechanism which you can  call using
> lasso's include_url tag.
>
> If I wanted a giggle, it'd be neat to write a little routine to send  SMS
> messages out via Skype. Queue SMS messages in MySQL and then have  a small
> (perl?) script to get the next unsent message and zap it  through Skype.
> Ooo. Almost persuaded myself to have a go at this when  I've got a free
> moment.
>
> Ah. Just remembered, next free moment is scheduled in for 2015.
>
> Simon Forster

Re: SMS text messages

Tom Parker-15
Good point.  We'll have to consider this, although these would not be
emergencies, just a way to prompt a doctor to log into the system and review
data that has been submitted via web or IVR and is potentially out of range.
However, I suppose the mere existence of such a system implies some
assumption that it will work and might bring in liability concerns. The
alternative notification schemes we have thought of so far include IVR
outbound call to phone, pager, SMS, and fax.  Guess I'm getting a little off
topic here, but I'm still very interested in other thoughts people have.

Thanks,

--Tom

> >I would need to send to a cell phone number
>> We'll be using it for doctors as an alternative to pagers.
>
> Er, as in "come quick - this one's really ill" messages? If so be sure
> that SMS gives you the same level of coverage and reliability as pagers,
> as a failed SMS delivery could have unpleasant consequences for all
> concerned (i.e. the patient, the doctors and ultimately you).
>
> Wikipedia has all the specific points I was going to raise:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pager
>
> I have SMS delivery reports enabled, notifying me when a text is
> delivered. Most of the time I get a report of a successful delivery within
> seconds. That's *most* of the time.
>
> Sorry to be a bit negative but HTH in the long run,
> James

Re: SMS text messages

Olivier Miossec

> --use a modem via the server's serial port--this seems like it would
> limit  the number of messages you could send?;

You can send several sms in the same time, there is no real limitation. The
only limitation is the price. You can use a simple mobile phone or a
professional modem.

---
Olivier Miossec
AIM/ichat omiossec
--
http://www.lasso-developpeur.net
--
Need a Lasso consultant ?
(Lasso, Java, MySql, Sql Server Consultant ...)
http://www.lasso-developpeur.net/lasso-lab/

Re: SMS text messages

Marc Vos-3
Hi Tom,

I use os_process for that:

        var( 'mySMSproc' = os_process(),
                'mySMSpgm' = '/usr/local/bin/fastsms',
                'mySMSansw' = '');

        $mySMSproc = os_process($mySMSpgm, array('-o ' + $myMachine,
$myElem, $myText));
        $mySMSansw = encode_html($mySMSproc->readString);
        $mySMSproc->close;

- -
regards,
Marc

On 09-aug-2007, at 17:17, Tom Parker wrote:

> Searching the list, I see a post referencing a third party utility
> to send SMS text messages: http://www.listsearch.com/Lasso/Message/
> index.lasso?225551
>
> Does Lasso provide a direct way to send these messages?  Is it
> possible to use Email_Compose to develop a custom message type?  I
> would need to send to a cell phone number--basic functionality is
> exactly like when Verizon sends you your cell phone bill as a text
> message.  We'll be using it for doctors as an alternative to pagers.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Tom Parker

Re: SMS text messages

Marc Vos-3
Hi Tom,

Until now, with FastSMS (http://www.bayhamsystems.com/nagios-
pricing.html) I have received every SMS message Lasso has initiated,
within 1 to 3 minutes.

- -
regards,
Marc

On 09-aug-2007, at 18:47, Tom Parker wrote:

> Good point.  We'll have to consider this, although these would not
> be emergencies, just a way to prompt a doctor to log into the
> system and review data that has been submitted via web or IVR and
> is potentially out of range. However, I suppose the mere existence
> of such a system implies some assumption that it will work and
> might bring in liability concerns. The alternative notification
> schemes we have thought of so far include IVR outbound call to
> phone, pager, SMS, and fax.  Guess I'm getting a little off topic
> here, but I'm still very interested in other thoughts people have.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Tom
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "James Harvard"
> <[hidden email]>

Re: SMS text messages

Tom Parker-15
Thanks Marc.  I appreciate the feedback and the code sample; we'll probably
include this as one option for the on call doctors/nurses.

--Tom

> pricing.html) I have received every SMS message Lasso has initiated,
> within 1 to 3 minutes.
>
> - -
> regards,
> Marc
>

> On 09-aug-2007, at 18:47, Tom Parker wrote:
>
>> Good point.  We'll have to consider this, although these would not  be
>> emergencies, just a way to prompt a doctor to log into the  system and
>> review data that has been submitted via web or IVR and  is potentially
>> out of range. However, I suppose the mere existence  of such a system
>> implies some assumption that it will work and  might bring in liability
>> concerns. The alternative notification  schemes we have thought of so far
>> include IVR outbound call to  phone, pager, SMS, and fax.  Guess I'm
>> getting a little off topic  here, but I'm still very interested in other
>> thoughts people have.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --Tom
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "James Harvard"
>> <[hidden email]>

Re: SMS text messages

Hans de Wit
This is a very simple process.

I have a MySQL table with cell phone providers (Worldwide). Within this
table I hold the max message length and the Email Address to send the
message to.  Within the customer edit screen is a roll up whereby a
Provider can be selected.  (Attached to the Cell Phone number on file).
Then when I need to send a TextMessage, the system combines the cell
phone number with the provider's email address and sends using the
standard email routines.

Hans

Fletcher Sandbeck wrote:

> On 8/9/07 at 9:17 AM, [hidden email] (Tom Parker) wrote:
>
>> Searching the list, I see a post referencing a third party utility to
>> send SMS text messages:
>> http://www.listsearch.com/Lasso/Message/index.lasso?225551
>>
>> Does Lasso provide a direct way to send these messages?  Is it
>> possible to use Email_Compose to develop a custom message type?  I
>> would need to send to a cell phone number--basic functionality is
>> exactly like when Verizon sends you your cell phone bill as a text
>> message.  We'll be using it for doctors as an alternative to pagers.
>

> Many cell phone providers have an email address that you can send to
> to create a text message.  Often, it is as simple as
> [hidden email] or something like
> [hidden email].  However, this will probably differ
> between providers so may not be ideal unless all the phones are
> provided for the doctors.
>
> This looks promising.  They offer a lot of different ways to send SMS
> messages.  You might be able to adapt one of them for use with Lasso.
> Although, it does cost money.
> <http://www.smsmac.com/en/index.html>
>
> This is also interesting, sending SMS messages from iChat/AIM.
> <http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030625235057445>
>
> [fletcher]

Re: SMS text messages

Clive Bruton

On 10 Aug 2007, at 14:01, Hans de Wit wrote:

> I have a MySQL table with cell phone providers (Worldwide). Within
> this table I hold the max message length and the Email Address to
> send the message to.  Within the customer edit screen is a roll up
> whereby a Provider can be selected.  (Attached to the Cell Phone
> number on file).
> Then when I need to send a TextMessage, the system combines the
> cell phone number with the provider's email address and sends using
> the standard email routines.

So, you say you just send an email to any of the mobile companies,
and that just gets turned into a text? For free?

I've seen emails come in from UK Vodafone numbers, but you only seem
to be able to respond to them once (and you can't initiate a new
message).

Do you have some more documentation for this?

-- Clive

Re: SMS text messages

Hans de Wit
In most cases YES. There are certain providers that do not allow this.
For example Rogers in Canada will only accept messages if the email
address sending it has an account. But most cases it is FREE yes. If the
provider publishes the number - you check their individual website, then
you use it exactly the way Fletcher showed
[hidden email]. Some providers require you to put the
country code in front or the '1' for long distance, others do not.

One other cute thing, if you TEXT message an individual from an email,
if the individual replies, the reply gets sent back to the Email Address
in the Email. Works for BELL here just beautifully.

Thanks
Hans

Clive Bruton wrote:

> On 10 Aug 2007, at 14:01, Hans de Wit wrote:
>
>> I have a MySQL table with cell phone providers (Worldwide). Within
>> this table I hold the max message length and the Email Address to
>> send the message to.  Within the customer edit screen is a roll up
>> whereby a Provider can be selected.  (Attached to the Cell Phone
>> number on file).
>> Then when I need to send a TextMessage, the system combines the  cell
>> phone number with the provider's email address and sends using  the
>> standard email routines.
>

> So, you say you just send an email to any of the mobile companies,
> and that just gets turned into a text? For free?
>
> I've seen emails come in from UK Vodafone numbers, but you only seem
> to be able to respond to them once (and you can't initiate a new
> message).
>
> Do you have some more documentation for this?
>

> -- Clive

Re: SMS text messages

Olivier Miossec
> Hi Tom,
>
> Until now, with FastSMS (http://www.bayhamsystems.com/nagios-
> pricing.html) I have received every SMS message Lasso has initiated,
> within 1 to 3 minutes.

Generaly the problem come from the network.
Try to send a sms on 01/01 at 00:01 you will get it few hours after.

---
Olivier Miossec
AIM/ichat omiossec

On 10 Aug 2007, at 16:42, Hans de Wit wrote:

> In most cases YES.

Do you have the access details for t-mobile in the UK? I tried this
(which I found online) but it just bounces back as unknown:

        [number]@t-mobile.uk.net

-- Clive

Re: SMS text messages

Hans de Wit
Thats the information I have on file as well.  A good listing for a lot
of these is at www.livejournal.com/tools/textmessage.bml?mode=details
and they also show this to be correct.

Hans

Clive Bruton wrote:

> On 10 Aug 2007, at 16:42, Hans de Wit wrote:
>
>> In most cases YES.
>

> Do you have the access details for t-mobile in the UK? I tried this
> (which I found online) but it just bounces back as unknown:
>
>     [number]@t-mobile.uk.net
>

> -- Clive

Re: SMS text messages

Clive Bruton

On 10 Aug 2007, at 19:16, Hans de Wit wrote:

> Thats the information I have on file as well.  A good listing for a
> lot of these is at www.livejournal.com/tools/textmessage.bml?
> mode=details and they also show this to be correct.

Ok, checked it out - you seem to have to enable this on the
particular phone account, and the recipient pays for the incoming
texts at their standard plan rate (for T-mobile UK anyway).

        http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/business/services/email-solutions/mobile-
email/

-- Clive