ReturnField ... did 8.5 change this for FMSA users

ReturnField ... did 8.5 change this for FMSA users

Michael Benedict
Hello,

Am excited about 8.5.. One simple question:

When I switched to FileMaker SA I lost the -returnfield function. By any chance, does 8.5 bring that back to we poor FMSA users?

Thanks,
Michael

Re: ReturnField ... did 8.5 change this for FMSA users

Adam Randall-4
No, FMSA changed the behavior of their -returnfield. Your best bet is
to use the new -layoutresponse to dictate which layout to return data
from. You'd use it like this:

[
inline:
        -Database       = 'FMSA Database',
        -Table          = 'FMSA Table or Layout',
        -LayoutResponse = 'FMSA Layout Name',
        'Field'         = 'Value',
        -Search;

        // normal search stuff

/inline;
]

In the above, your search will be done via the layout/table specified
in -Table, but the fields returned by FMSA are dictated by the layout
specified in -LayoutResponse.

Also, if you are not using value lists on your page, you can get a
speed increase by using -NoValueLists in your inline as well.

[
inline:
        -Database       = 'FMSA Database',
        -Table          = 'FMSA Table or Layout',
        -LayoutResponse = 'FMSA Layout Name',
        'Field'         = 'Value',
        -NoValueLists,
        -Search;

        // normal search stuff

/inline;
]

Regards,

Adam.

--
Adam Randall <[hidden email]>
Senior Web Architect

Hobbes: "How come we play war and not peace?"
Calvin: "Too few role models."

On Jun 14, 2006, at 6:24 AM, Michael Benedict wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Am excited about 8.5.. One simple question:
>
> When I switched to FileMaker SA I lost the -returnfield function.
> By any chance, does 8.5 bring that back to we poor FMSA users?
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

Re: ReturnField ... did 8.5 change this for FMSA users

Michael Benedict
Thanks Adam,

Big help.

Michael