Retrieving File Information

Rick Draper
Hi All,

A newbie question relating to image uploads / processing, if I may...

I am not sure of the correct terminology here, but there is "file
information" in jpeg images (camera type / date photo taken) etc.  Is it
possible to retain this information in processing images with image
magic / lasso and retrieve it in some way using lasso tags?  If someone
can point me in the right direction I would be most grateful (lasso 8.1
(moving to 8.5) on Windows 2003)

Very best regards,

Rick

Re: Retrieving File Information

Tim Taplin
I've been able to view some file information before processing using
image->describe but its not in all that structured a format. Probably
someone with the right experience and determination could research
the formats and work out a tag to access these elements but there
seem to be lots of variation in how the data is displayed.

I seem to remember that much if not all of this data is lost once you
process the file and I'm not sure how it could be re applied. I'm
very interested in this subject as well.

Tim

On Jun 16, 2006, at 5:16 PM, Rick Draper wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> A newbie question relating to image uploads / processing, if I may...
>
> I am not sure of the correct terminology here, but there is "file
> information" in jpeg images (camera type / date photo taken) etc.
> Is it
> possible to retain this information in processing images with image
> magic / lasso and retrieve it in some way using lasso tags?  If
> someone
> can point me in the right direction I would be most grateful (lasso
> 8.1
> (moving to 8.5) on Windows 2003)
>

> Very best regards,
>
> Rick

Re: Retrieving File Information

Rick Draper
Thanks, Tim.

I will have a play with image->describe and see what I can do... Will
keep you posted.

Very best regards,

Rick

I've been able to view some file information before processing using
image->describe but its not in all that structured a format. Probably
someone with the right experience and determination could research the
formats and work out a tag to access these elements but there seem to be
lots of variation in how the data is displayed.

I seem to remember that much if not all of this data is lost once you
process the file and I'm not sure how it could be re applied. I'm very
interested in this subject as well.

Tim

On Jun 16, 2006, at 5:16 PM, Rick Draper wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> A newbie question relating to image uploads / processing, if I may...
>
> I am not sure of the correct terminology here, but there is "file
> information" in jpeg images (camera type / date photo taken) etc.
> Is it
> possible to retain this information in processing images with image
> magic / lasso and retrieve it in some way using lasso tags?  If
> someone
> can point me in the right direction I would be most grateful (lasso
> 8.1
> (moving to 8.5) on Windows 2003)
>

> Very best regards,
>
> Rick

Re: Retrieving File Information

Rick Draper
Hi All,

It seems that the image->describe tag has some issues with larger files
(the one I am testing withy is 85k).

I noted the -Info option, but this still throws a Lasso Connector
Error... "Lasso Connector could not communicate with Lasso Service.
Connection timed out."

Code tested ...
[Lasso_ExecutionTimeLimit: 0][Var: 'MyImage'
=(Image:'/images/image.jpg')][Include:'/_includes/lasso/blank.txt'][Serv
er_Push][$MyImage->(Describe)]
[Lasso_ExecutionTimeLimit: 0][Var: 'MyImage'
=(Image:'/images/image.jpg',-Info)][Include:'/_includes/lasso/blank.txt'
][Server_Push][$MyImage->(Describe)]

Having suffered from Lasso Connection errors in the past I added the
include and [Lasso_ExecutionTimeLimit: 0] in an attempt to keep the
connection alive.

Does anyone have any experience with the image tags with large files
that they can share?

Very best regards,

Rick

P.S. I am operating 8.1 (and tested also on 8.5) Windows 2003.

I've been able to view some file information before processing using
image->describe but its not in all that structured a format. Probably
someone with the right experience and determination could research the
formats and work out a tag to access these elements but there seem to be
lots of variation in how the data is displayed.

I seem to remember that much if not all of this data is lost once you
process the file and I'm not sure how it could be re applied. I'm very
interested in this subject as well.

Tim

On Jun 16, 2006, at 5:16 PM, Rick Draper wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> A newbie question relating to image uploads / processing, if I may...
>
> I am not sure of the correct terminology here, but there is "file
> information" in jpeg images (camera type / date photo taken) etc.
> Is it
> possible to retain this information in processing images with image
> magic / lasso and retrieve it in some way using lasso tags?  If
> someone can point me in the right direction I would be most grateful
> (lasso
> 8.1
> (moving to 8.5) on Windows 2003)
>

> Very best regards,
>
> Rick

Re: Retrieving File Information

Eric Landmann
Rick Draper <[hidden email]> wrote on Saturday, June 17, 2006:

>A newbie question relating to image uploads / processing, if I may...
>
>I am not sure of the correct terminology here, but there is "file
>information" in jpeg images (camera type / date photo taken) etc.  Is it
>possible to retain this information in processing images with image
>magic / lasso and retrieve it in some way using lasso tags?  If someone
>can point me in the right direction I would be most grateful (lasso 8.1
>(moving to 8.5) on Windows 2003)

The information you are talking about is called EXIF data. You can pull this data out of a file, and even change some of it within the file, with a program called "jhead" which is found here:

    http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/

Here is some of what it does (from that page):

Things jhead can extract from an Exif jpeg file

    * Time and date picture was taken
    * Camera make and model
    * Integral low-res Exif thumbnail
    * Shutter speed
    * Camera F-stop number
    * Flash used (yes/no)
    * Distance camera was focused at
    * Focal length and calculate 35 mm equivalent focal length
    * Image resolution
    * GPS info, if stored in image

Things jhead can modify in an exif jpeg file

    * Up-right images according to rotation tag using jpegtran
    * Set or relative adjust internal exif timestamps
    * Re-name or date stamp fils according to exif timestamp
    * Transfer exif headers between images
    * Replace thumbnails inside Exif headers
    * Edit jpeg comments (but not the Exif comments)
    * Delete exif or comment sections from jpeg images

You would have to access jhead by using PassThru or possibly the new OS Process tag.

--Eric

Re: Retrieving File Information

Rick Draper
Thanks very much, Eric.

I look forward to exploring this.  It seems that ImageMagick preserves
the EXIF data, so it is looking good.

Very best regards,

Rick

Rick Draper <[hidden email]> wrote on Saturday, June 17, 2006:

>A newbie question relating to image uploads / processing, if I may...
>
>I am not sure of the correct terminology here, but there is "file
>information" in jpeg images (camera type / date photo taken) etc.  Is
>it possible to retain this information in processing images with image
>magic / lasso and retrieve it in some way using lasso tags?  If someone

>can point me in the right direction I would be most grateful (lasso 8.1

>(moving to 8.5) on Windows 2003)

The information you are talking about is called EXIF data. You can pull
this data out of a file, and even change some of it within the file,
with a program called "jhead" which is found here:

    http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/

Here is some of what it does (from that page):

Things jhead can extract from an Exif jpeg file

    * Time and date picture was taken
    * Camera make and model
    * Integral low-res Exif thumbnail
    * Shutter speed
    * Camera F-stop number
    * Flash used (yes/no)
    * Distance camera was focused at
    * Focal length and calculate 35 mm equivalent focal length
    * Image resolution
    * GPS info, if stored in image

Things jhead can modify in an exif jpeg file

    * Up-right images according to rotation tag using jpegtran
    * Set or relative adjust internal exif timestamps
    * Re-name or date stamp fils according to exif timestamp
    * Transfer exif headers between images
    * Replace thumbnails inside Exif headers
    * Edit jpeg comments (but not the Exif comments)
    * Delete exif or comment sections from jpeg images

You would have to access jhead by using PassThru or possibly the new OS
Process tag.

--Eric

Re: Retrieving File Information

Steffan A. Cline
I made an installer for OS X for this. If you want it let me know and I will
email it to you. You can use this with [PassThru]

Thanks

Steffan

T E L  6 0 2 . 5 7 9 . 4 2 3 0 | F A X  6 0 2 . 9 7 1 . 1 6 9 4
Steffan A. Cline
[hidden email]                             Phoenix, Az
http://www.ExecuChoice.net                                  USA
AIM : SteffanC          ICQ : 57234309
                                  Lasso Partner Alliance Member

> From: Eric Landmann <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 18:12:38 -0500
> To: <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Retrieving File Information
>
> Rick Draper <[hidden email]> wrote on Saturday, June 17, 2006:
>
>> A newbie question relating to image uploads / processing, if I may...
>>
>> I am not sure of the correct terminology here, but there is "file
>> information" in jpeg images (camera type / date photo taken) etc.  Is it
>> possible to retain this information in processing images with image
>> magic / lasso and retrieve it in some way using lasso tags?  If someone
>> can point me in the right direction I would be most grateful (lasso 8.1
>> (moving to 8.5) on Windows 2003)
>
> The information you are talking about is called EXIF data. You can pull this
> data out of a file, and even change some of it within the file, with a program
> called "jhead" which is found here:
>
>     http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/
>
> Here is some of what it does (from that page):
>
> Things jhead can extract from an Exif jpeg file
>
>     * Time and date picture was taken
>     * Camera make and model
>     * Integral low-res Exif thumbnail
>     * Shutter speed
>     * Camera F-stop number
>     * Flash used (yes/no)
>     * Distance camera was focused at
>     * Focal length and calculate 35 mm equivalent focal length
>     * Image resolution
>     * GPS info, if stored in image
>
> Things jhead can modify in an exif jpeg file
>
>     * Up-right images according to rotation tag using jpegtran
>     * Set or relative adjust internal exif timestamps
>     * Re-name or date stamp fils according to exif timestamp
>     * Transfer exif headers between images
>     * Replace thumbnails inside Exif headers
>     * Edit jpeg comments (but not the Exif comments)
>     * Delete exif or comment sections from jpeg images
>
> You would have to access jhead by using PassThru or possibly the new OS
> Process tag.
>
> --Eric

Re: Retrieving File Information

Rick Draper
Thanks, Steffan.

Unfortunately I am on a M$ network.  I am going to see how I go with the
tools in 8.5

Very best regards,

Rick

Re: Retrieving File Information

Steffan A. Cline
I'm sure jhead can be compiled on windows and I have a windows version of
[PassThru] I just have no installer for it. If you want a copy email me
directly and I'll send it to you.

Thanks

Steffan

T E L  6 0 2 . 5 7 9 . 4 2 3 0 | F A X  6 0 2 . 9 7 1 . 1 6 9 4
Steffan A. Cline
[hidden email]                             Phoenix, Az
http://www.ExecuChoice.net                                  USA
AIM : SteffanC          ICQ : 57234309
                                  Lasso Partner Alliance Member

> From: Rick Draper <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 10:18:22 +1000
> To: <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Retrieving File Information
>
> Thanks, Steffan.
>
> Unfortunately I am on a M$ network.  I am going to see how I go with the
> tools in 8.5
>

> Very best regards,
>
> Rick

using .las suffix instead of .lasso

stephane-15
Hello,

I just installed Lasso 8.5 on MacOS X.4.6

If I load a .lasso file, it is ok, lasso tags are processed and page is
diplayed normally. If I try to change .lasso in .las suffix, I got the raw
code (HTML and Lasso) displayed in the navigator. It is probably an apache
configuration problem but I am unable to find where I can set up this .las
configuration.

Thank you for your help

Stephane

Re: using .las suffix instead of .lasso

m i l e s-5
Stephane

open the the lasso.conf file...
/etc/httpd/users/

there you'll find what u need to ADD

COPY the first line and add it to the bottm, the remove the SsOo parts.

Save...the from the command line restart apache : sudo apachectle graceful

in the lasso admin you'll need to add the suffice in the site admin.

M i l e s
Lasso Consultant
415.686.6164

Re: using .las suffix instead of .lasso

m i l e s-5
Ok  that was bad and malformed advice...I was on my cellphone...oy

Assuming you're on OS X....

1.) go to your apache folder and open the lasso.conf file:

/etc/httpd/users/lasso.conf

2.) copy the FIRST line and paste it as the last, and remove the 'SsOo'
parts.

3.) restart apache. From the cmd line:

sudo apachectl graceful

4.) in the lasso site admin add the suffix if its not already there.

5.) forgive my bad one handed typing....

M i l e s
Lasso Consultant
415.686.6164

Re: using .las suffix instead of .lasso

Adam Randall-4
The file is lasso8.conf in /etc/httpd/users and it's not a good idea
to modify this file directly as future upgrades of Lasso may
overwrite this file. This would cause your .las extension to not work
again.

The better, safer, way is to create a new file, call it
lasso8ext.conf, or something informative like that, save it into the /
etc/httpd/users folder. Put this information into there:

<Location ~ "^.*\.[Ll][Aa][Ss]$">
        SetHandler lasso8-handler
</Location>

If you are running on OS X Server, then you will need to modify the /
etc/httpd/httpd.conf file and add this line to the bottom:

include /etc/httpd/users/lasso8ext.conf

Don't put it inside of the comment block surrounding the include /etc/
httpd/users/lasso8.conf line as this will cause you problems in the
future.

Lastly, you will want to make sure that you are saving these files
with UNIX line feeds (\n) so that they will be read correctly by Apache.

Regards,

Adam.

--
Adam Randall <[hidden email]>
Senior Web Architect

"Leave it to a girl to take all the fun out of sex discrimination."
-- Calvin

On Jun 18, 2006, at 3:26 PM, m i l e s wrote:

> Ok  that was bad and malformed advice...I was on my cellphone...oy
>
> Assuming you're on OS X....
>
> 1.) go to your apache folder and open the lasso.conf file:
>
> /etc/httpd/users/lasso.conf
>
> 2.) copy the FIRST line and paste it as the last, and remove the
> 'SsOo'
> parts.
>
> 3.) restart apache. From the cmd line:
>
> sudo apachectl graceful
>
> 4.) in the lasso site admin add the suffix if its not already there.
>
> 5.) forgive my bad one handed typing....
>
> M i l e s
> Lasso Consultant
> 415.686.6164

Re: using .las suffix instead of .lasso

Tami Williams
I'm able to do this using Lasso 8.1 by doing the following -

Make sure suffix .las is on in Lasso Site Admin - Site - File Extensions

AND

Add to apache's httpd.conf:

  # HAVE LASSO HANDLE .las SUFFIX
     AddHandler lasso8-handler las

Note: you can do this for any suffix you want.

I also always make a backup of my latest httpd.conf that's working
and configured the way I like and keep the backup in a safe place so
I have it if any update makes unwanted changes.