Results Navigation...another look

Viaduct Productions
**Sorry, this email didn't come through the first time I posted, so I
assumed it didn't post.  My Internets is wonky until I get new DSL at
the new house here.**

Hiya folks.  I'm back with the same challenge.  Results Navigation,
as I am calling it, is when I want proper navigation for a hitlist
with a certain number of items displayed.  Much like the google
"GOOOOOOOOOGLE", each link holds a theoretical number of items, and
you can scroll through the system page by page.

I'm having issues with it, and I'll explain why.  I hope someone has
conquered this.

Assumptions:
- some user is going to bookmark the "view all" hitlist, so that will
not have session link parameters nor a pageview parameter in the
link.  My session is -uselink and I can't rewrite it for cookies (I
don't believe in them, nor do I have time).
- session information must be respected, and Lasso isn't currently
throwing it onto the end of my manually built urls.
- This is assumed written in a ctag and will therefore look at the
client_url as the beginning of how it builds links to the navigation
list.  So the parameters are the challenging part, and how Lasso
responds (session).

I am currently parsing the client_url into a properly ordered array,
splitting on & then ?.  The targetpage I delete from the system, and
rebuild that parameter using a loop within the targetpage array
(which I generate through an inline).  So far so good.

When I go to build the link for page 22 (as an example), the session
is generated in my current page (page 1) however it doesn't show up
in the link for 22.  I go to 22, and the sessions don't show up there
either.  So I add the session addition to the url and then it
compounds every time I go to build a link.  Now I could test the
client_url for the session, but I now feel as if I'm missing
something in generating something like this.  There's a reason why
Lasso isn't doing it in the first place.

I also want to use client_url because then the ctag can be used with
various other url params, so I don't have to rewrite it for every
project.

And lastly, this has to be used amongst search parameters for search
hitlists, which isn't just a collection of records.  I avoid caching
recordIDs for display, and go to the database on every page call.
The system is about finding out where I am in the hitlist, and
generating the link which has page parameters (and search
parameters).  The page display takes those parameters and figures out
which records to show in the small hitlist.

Anybody have any insight into how to manage this stuff?  I'm hitting
a wall at every corner, yet I'm so close.  Sessions and Lasso and
user behaviour are bogging me down, trying to use a ctag for all
instances.

Cheers

Rich in Toronto
...now go get on your bike

Re: Results Navigation...another look

Rick Draper
Hi Rich,

I am sorry I wasn't following any previous posts - I only just finished
something similar, but use a hidden form to drive it.  In this case I
display the Gooooooogle type thing for up to 20 pages, but over that I
allow the user to enter a page number - the results can also be called
through the page number as a GET parameter directly with the original
search parameters drawn from a session variable... Is this something
like what you are looking for?

Very best regards,

Rick

Re: Results Navigation...another look

Doug Gentry
Have you looked at Jason Huck's results_navigation tag on tagswap?

http://tagswap.net/results_navigation

...Doug

On Aug 19, 2008, at 5:55 AM, Rick Draper wrote:

> Hi Rich,
>
> I am sorry I wasn't following any previous posts - I only just
> finished
> something similar, but use a hidden form to drive it.  In this case I
> display the Gooooooogle type thing for up to 20 pages, but over that I
> allow the user to enter a page number - the results can also be called
> through the page number as a GET parameter directly with the original
> search parameters drawn from a session variable... Is this something
> like what you are looking for?
>

> Very best regards,
>
> Rick

Doug Gentry
Dynapolis & Southern Oregon University
p:  541-261-8501 / Toll Free: 866-890-6013
[hidden email]
www.dynapolis.com - blog: www.plain-sense.com

Re: Results Navigation...another look

Viaduct Productions
I believe I looked some time ago...maybe another look.

On 19-Aug-08, at 6:46 AM, Doug Gentry wrote:

> Have you looked at Jason Huck's results_navigation tag on tagswap?
>
> http://tagswap.net/results_navigation
>
> ...Doug

Rich in Toronto
...now go get on your bike

Re: Results Navigation...another look

Viaduct Productions
Sounds similar.

I park search histories as urls in svars, but I'm pushing search
parameters using the url at the moment.

On 19-Aug-08, at 5:55 AM, Rick Draper wrote:

> I am sorry I wasn't following any previous posts - I only just
> finished
> something similar, but use a hidden form to drive it.  In this case I
> display the Gooooooogle type thing for up to 20 pages, but over that I
> allow the user to enter a page number - the results can also be called
> through the page number as a GET parameter directly with the original
> search parameters drawn from a session variable... Is this something
> like what you are looking for?

Cheers

Rich in Toronto

Re: Results Navigation...another look

Steven Evans
I think Jason's tagswap is great....the only thing I have been
struggling with is how to implement something like it for ajax.
Currently I use prototype (seemingly one of the last!)....but I've
struggled to implement a page navigation routine for pages that I
don't want to completely reload....if anybody has a nice solve for
that....

Thanks!
sqe
On Aug 19, 2008, at 3:46 AM, Doug Gentry wrote:

> Have you looked at Jason Huck's results_navigation tag on tagswap?
>
> http://tagswap.net/results_navigation
>
> ...Doug
>
> On Aug 19, 2008, at 5:55 AM, Rick Draper wrote:
>
>> Hi Rich,
>>
>> I am sorry I wasn't following any previous posts - I only just
>> finished
>> something similar, but use a hidden form to drive it.  In this case I
>> display the Gooooooogle type thing for up to 20 pages, but over
>> that I
>> allow the user to enter a page number - the results can also be
>> called
>> through the page number as a GET parameter directly with the original
>> search parameters drawn from a session variable... Is this something
>> like what you are looking for?
>>

>> Very best regards,
>>
>> Rick

Steven Q. Evans
Director of Technological Resources
MSI Production Services
http://www.msiprod.com
(858)348-0629 • Mobile (858)344-3351 • (707)215-1032 Fax • [hidden email]

Re: Results Navigation...another look

John Williscroft

I use a jquery navigation set that stuffs everything on the same page
and just displays 'pages'. The downside is linking to specific pages
and using of the back-button. Example at www.remanufacturing.org.uk/
remanufacturing-uk-news.lasso

This is the tutorial I used:-
http://jqueryfordesigners.com/coda-slider-effect/

best rgds
john

On 19 Aug 2008, at 15:49, Steven Evans wrote:

> I think Jason's tagswap is great....the only thing I have been
> struggling with is how to implement something like it for ajax.
> Currently I use prototype (seemingly one of the last!)....but I've
> struggled to implement a page navigation routine for pages that I
> don't want to completely reload....if anybody has a nice solve for
> that....
>
> Thanks!
> sqe

www.icatching.eu   t:0845 644 2884   f:0871 733 5358

Re: Results Navigation...another look

Hey, Steve.

Funny you should mention that!

It is what I am working on right now. This is related to our/my desire
to work only with objects, so we are putting jason's tag in an object
and adding the akax code for navigation and editing.

I will post asap.

Deoc

On Aug 19, 2008, at 8:49 AM, Steven Evans wrote:

> I think Jason's tagswap is great....the only thing I have been
> struggling with is how to implement something like it for ajax.
> Currently I use prototype (seemingly one of the last!)....but I've
> struggled to implement a page navigation routine for pages that I
> don't want to completely reload....if anybody has a nice solve for
> that....
>
> Thanks!
> sqe
> On Aug 19, 2008, at 3:46 AM, Doug Gentry wrote:
>
>> Have you looked at Jason Huck's results_navigation tag on tagswap?
>>
>> http://tagswap.net/results_navigation
>>
>> ...Doug
>>
>> On Aug 19, 2008, at 5:55 AM, Rick Draper wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Rich,
>>>
>>> I am sorry I wasn't following any previous posts - I only just
>>> finished
>>> something similar, but use a hidden form to drive it.  In this
>>> case I
>>> display the Gooooooogle type thing for up to 20 pages, but over
>>> that I
>>> allow the user to enter a page number - the results can also be
>>> called
>>> through the page number as a GET parameter directly with the
>>> original
>>> search parameters drawn from a session variable... Is this something
>>> like what you are looking for?
>>>

>>> Very best regards,
>>>
>>> Rick

Fletcher Sandbeck-3
On 8/19/08 at 9:39 AM, [hidden email] (Deco Rior) wrote:

> Funny you should mention that!
>
> It is what I am working on right now. This is related to our/my desire to work
> only with objects, so we are putting jason's tag in an object and adding the
> akax code for navigation and editing.
>
> I will post asap.

This kind of thing would make a great LassoTech article as well.

LassoSoft, LLC                          http://www.lassosoft.com

Re: Results Navigation...another look

Viaduct Productions
Actually that could be pretty easy, assuming you want to show your
whole navigation pages up top.  (I know I'm quoting Steven here)

Each page link triggers which records to show.  The only drawback is
that you'll have a full listing of all your potential pages.  Or,
your update would probably update your navigation and your hitlist
down below.  So it's like 2 hitlists.

On 19-Aug-08, at 11:21 AM, John Williscroft wrote:

>> I think Jason's tagswap is great....the only thing I have been
>> struggling with is how to implement something like it for ajax.
>> Currently I use prototype (seemingly one of the last!)....but I've
>> struggled to implement a page navigation routine for pages that I
>> don't want to completely reload....if anybody has a nice solve for
>> that....

Cheers

Rich in Toronto

Re: Results Navigation...another look

Steven Evans
Deco.....that is awesome!  I can't tell you how long I've been futzing
with this to try to make something eloquent, but something always
distracts me along the way so it never seems to get done!!!

Can't wait to see it!

Thanks!

sqe

On Aug 19, 2008, at 8:40 AM, Fletcher Sandbeck wrote:

> On 8/19/08 at 9:39 AM, [hidden email] (Deco Rior) wrote:
>
>> Funny you should mention that!
>>
>> It is what I am working on right now. This is related to our/my
>> desire to work
>> only with objects, so we are putting jason's tag in an object and
>> adding the
>> akax code for navigation and editing.
>>
>> I will post asap.
>
> This kind of thing would make a great LassoTech article as well.
>
> [fletcher]
>
> --
> Fletcher Sandbeck                         [hidden email]
> LassoSoft, LLC                          http://www.lassosoft.com

Steven Q. Evans
Director of Technological Resources
MSI Production Services
http://www.msiprod.com
(858)348-0629 • Mobile (858)344-3351 • (707)215-1032 Fax • [hidden email]

Re: Results Navigation...another look

Viaduct Productions
OK, just had a look.  It's a neat solution, however the detailed
record jumps out of the system.  My client wants to be able to view a
record detail, then return to the listings or found set.  Seeing as I
store this as a url, it escapes the approach here by using the form
for hidden submission.

On 19-Aug-08, at 6:46 AM, Doug Gentry wrote:

> Have you looked at Jason Huck's results_navigation tag on tagswap?
>
> http://tagswap.net/results_navigation

Rich in Toronto
...now go get on your bike

Re: Results Navigation...another look

Doug Gentry
While I haven't look at the code in a few months, can't your detail
page just use the same approach, but with a groupsize (or whatever the
variable is to determine records per page) = 1?

...Doug

On Aug 19, 2008, at 8:15 PM, Viaduct Productions wrote:

> OK, just had a look.  It's a neat solution, however the detailed
> record jumps out of the system.  My client wants to be able to view
> a record detail, then return to the listings or found set.  Seeing
> as I store this as a url, it escapes the approach here by using the
> form for hidden submission.
>

> On 19-Aug-08, at 6:46 AM, Doug Gentry wrote:
>
>> Have you looked at Jason Huck's results_navigation tag on tagswap?
>>
>> http://tagswap.net/results_navigation
>

> Rich in Toronto
> ...now go get on your bike

Doug Gentry
Dynapolis & Southern Oregon University
p:  541-261-8501 / Toll Free: 866-890-6013
[hidden email]
www.dynapolis.com - blog: www.plain-sense.com

Re: Results Navigation...another look

Viaduct Productions
That's what I'm thinking...it throws what could be stored as the page
number.

On 19-Aug-08, at 8:22 PM, Doug Gentry wrote:

> While I haven't look at the code in a few months, can't your detail
> page just use the same approach, but with a groupsize (or whatever
> the variable is to determine records per page) = 1?

Cheers

Rich in Toronto

Re: Results Navigation...another look

So I am at the point where I can navigate without changing pages.

AND I can do an ajax command to see the detail.

So I can put the detail wherever I want. I can hide the listing, put
it in a window or put it underneath the listing. What does your client
want?

Deco
On Aug 19, 2008, at 6:15 PM, Viaduct Productions wrote:

> OK, just had a look.  It's a neat solution, however the detailed
> record jumps out of the system.  My client wants to be able to view
> a record detail, then return to the listings or found set.  Seeing
> as I store this as a url, it escapes the approach here by using the
> form for hidden submission.
>

> On 19-Aug-08, at 6:46 AM, Doug Gentry wrote:
>
>> Have you looked at Jason Huck's results_navigation tag on tagswap?
>>
>> http://tagswap.net/results_navigation
>

> Rich in Toronto
> ...now go get on your bike

Re: Results Navigation...another look

Viaduct Productions
Sounds very nice.  Eventually I will get there.  This past 1.5 years
have been the pits for me, but I'm starting to get things together
with my new house, etc.  I wanted to look into JQuery or extending
Prototype to do some neat tricks.

My client seems to want things faster than I can whip them out, given
the circumstances.  In any case, I think I can get it done tonight.
Varying from his specific requests (he's from the print world...like
omg) creates a real mess in his eyes.

On 19-Aug-08, at 8:58 PM, Deco Rior wrote:

> So I am at the point where I can navigate without changing pages.
>
> AND I can do an ajax command to see the detail.
>
> So I can put the detail wherever I want. I can hide the listing,
> put it in a window or put it underneath the listing. What does your
> client want?

Rich in Toronto
...now go get on your bike

Re: Results Navigation...another look

decorior
Let me know if you want my files. It is done with prototype. Pretty
easy.

I have yet to do the sort, but that should not be a problem.

Deco
On Aug 19, 2008, at 7:59 PM, Viaduct Productions wrote:

> Sounds very nice.  Eventually I will get there.  This past 1.5 years
> have been the pits for me, but I'm starting to get things together
> with my new house, etc.  I wanted to look into JQuery or extending
> Prototype to do some neat tricks.
>
> My client seems to want things faster than I can whip them out,
> given the circumstances.  In any case, I think I can get it done
> tonight.  Varying from his specific requests (he's from the print
> world...like omg) creates a real mess in his eyes.
>

> On 19-Aug-08, at 8:58 PM, Deco Rior wrote:
>
>> So I am at the point where I can navigate without changing pages.
>>
>> AND I can do an ajax command to see the detail.
>>
>> So I can put the detail wherever I want. I can hide the listing,
>> put it in a window or put it underneath the listing. What does your
>> client want?
>

> Rich in Toronto
> ...now go get on your bike

Re: Results Navigation...another look

decorior
Hi, All:

So the sort is working...way to easy thanks to Jason's hard work.

My only problem is finding a server to post this on which does not
have the tags on!

Anyway they are available if anyone wants. I will clean up and put on
tagswap.

I did not put them into my custom type yet, I am hoping to do that
tomorrow.

I am not going to the Lummit, but maybe I can find someone to go. We
have tons of questions.

Deco

On Aug 19, 2008, at 8:59 PM, Deco Rior wrote:

> Let me know if you want my files. It is done with prototype. Pretty
> easy.
>
> I have yet to do the sort, but that should not be a problem.
>
> Deco
> On Aug 19, 2008, at 7:59 PM, Viaduct Productions wrote:
>
>> Sounds very nice.  Eventually I will get there.  This past 1.5
>> years have been the pits for me, but I'm starting to get things
>> together with my new house, etc.  I wanted to look into JQuery or
>> extending Prototype to do some neat tricks.
>>
>> My client seems to want things faster than I can whip them out,
>> given the circumstances.  In any case, I think I can get it done
>> tonight.  Varying from his specific requests (he's from the print
>> world...like omg) creates a real mess in his eyes.
>>

>> On 19-Aug-08, at 8:58 PM, Deco Rior wrote:
>>
>>> So I am at the point where I can navigate without changing pages.
>>>
>>> AND I can do an ajax command to see the detail.
>>>
>>> So I can put the detail wherever I want. I can hide the listing,
>>> put it in a window or put it underneath the listing. What does
>>> your client want?
>>

>> Rich in Toronto
>> ...now go get on your bike

Re: Results Navigation...another look

Viaduct Productions
...an update:

The current issue now is that the inside conditionals create an issue:

if(#found_count > #shown_count);

found has to be more than maxrecords_value.  That is a tough one
using the LIMIT in sql.  Deco and I are trying to get this to work
with mysql.  Trying to use the full LIMIT syntax (LIMIT (offset,
found_count_restriction)) while not using the second is confusing.

Anybody got this to work with mysql, please chime in.  Right now the
whole LIMIT clause is conditional upon the action_param('skiprows'),
but then that is becoming doubled up in the action_params, so the
syntax is really messing up with multiple numbers in the LIMIT clause.

Anybody?

On 19-Aug-08, at 8:22 PM, Doug Gentry wrote:

> While I haven't look at the code in a few months, can't your detail
> page just use the same approach, but with a groupsize (or whatever
> the variable is to determine records per page) = 1?

Cheers

Rich in Toronto
...now go get on your bike

Re: Results Navigation...another look

Wade Maxfield
Viaduct Productions wrote:

> ...an update:
>
> The current issue now is that the inside conditionals create an issue:
>
> if(#found_count > #shown_count);
>
> found has to be more than maxrecords_value.  That is a tough one using
> the LIMIT in sql.  Deco and I are trying to get this to work with
> mysql.  Trying to use the full LIMIT syntax (LIMIT (offset,
> found_count_restriction)) while not using the second is confusing.
>
> Anybody got this to work with mysql, please chime in.  Right now the
> whole LIMIT clause is conditional upon the action_param('skiprows'), but
> then that is becoming doubled up in the action_params, so the syntax is
> really messing up with multiple numbers in the LIMIT clause.
>
> Anybody?

Do your SELECT statement twice.

Once to find count(*), then the second to get your normal data.

Inline: -sql='SELECT count(*) as found_count FROM table WHERE yyy';
        Inline: -sql='SELECT xxx FROM table WHERE yyy (LIMIT
offset,found_count_restriction)';
                blah, blah, blah....
        /Inline;
/Inline;