Required fields?

Jolle Carlestam-2
Are there fields that are required? That is does the knop_database
type expect any fields to be present with specific names.

If not, what would be the easiest way to have some fields that always
should be there and always filled with some specific data?

Like I always have fields for created date, created by, creators org
etc.

(log in with your email and ConfirmationID as password, send message to
<[hidden email]> to get that ID)
Project homepage http://montania.se/projects/knop/
AIM chatroom knop aim:gochat?roomname=knop

Re: Required fields?

Johan Solve-2
At 10.57 +0100 2007-03-08, [hidden email] wrote:
>Are there fields that are required? That is does the knop_database type expect any fields to be present with specific names.
>
>If not, what would be the easiest way to have some fields that always should be there and always filled with some specific data?
>
>Like I always have fields for created date, created by, creators org etc.

I've tried to require as little adjustments to existing databases as possible.
To use Knop it is really not a requirement to add any fields at all. But to be able to use recordlocking you need to have a field to hold the record lock, and to take full advantage of the keyfield you need to have that as a varchar field so Knop can fill it with data on its own (for the duplicate prevention).

There are no requirements for modified_date, created_date, modified_by etc, since I feel they fall i a higher category in the application logics. I want Knop to help with the lower level stuff to not make the framework too complex.

But handling those kinds of fields could be added as options, if it feels it would help if Knop took care of them. For example if you use record locking Knop already know the user id who is locking a record, so it would make sense to let Knop take care of the created_by and modified_by fields.

--
     Johan Sölve    [FSA Member, Lasso Partner]
     Web Application/Lasso/FileMaker Developer