[Repost] PDF_Font: -File - how?

Nikolaj de Fine Licht
Sorry for this Repost but I'm stuck... Maybe I'm the only one trying
to use other fonts in PDFs than Helvetica, Courier and Times...?

L8, Mac 10.4.

What is the correct way to set a font using -file?

In my webserving root folder I have a folder named 'fonts' and it
contains a font suitcase named 'Garamond' and a number of PostScript
outline fonts.

I have tried:

[var: 'font' = (pdf_font: -file='/fonts/Garamond',  -size=14)]

but that returns a 'not recognized' error. Same if I target one of
the outline fonts. Is there a hidden file extension I miss?

It's obviously something simple here, but I seem unable to find an
example in the Language Guide...

/nikolaj

Re: [Repost] PDF_Font: -File - how?

Adam Randall
I would not use Resource based fonts, which you seem to be doing. Try
using .ttf fonts instead.

Adam.

--
Adam Randall <[hidden email]>
Quality Assurance / Support

On Sep 14, 2005, at 10:42 AM, Nikolaj de Fine Licht wrote:

> Sorry for this Repost but I'm stuck... Maybe I'm the only one
> trying to use other fonts in PDFs than Helvetica, Courier and
> Times...?
>
> L8, Mac 10.4.
>
> What is the correct way to set a font using -file?
>
> In my webserving root folder I have a folder named 'fonts' and it
> contains a font suitcase named 'Garamond' and a number of
> PostScript outline fonts.
>
> I have tried:
>
> [var: 'font' = (pdf_font: -file='/fonts/Garamond',  -size=14)]
>
> but that returns a 'not recognized' error. Same if I target one of
> the outline fonts. Is there a hidden file extension I miss?
>
> It's obviously something simple here, but I seem unable to find an
> example in the Language Guide...
>
> /nikolaj

Re: [Repost] PDF_Font: -File - how?

Nikolaj de Fine Licht
Adam,

Thanks for your response!

But, just for me to get this right: you say "I would not use..." -
does that mean "it doesn't work" or IS there a way? I need to know
because, as a part time graphic designer, I just assumed I could have
Lasso generate PDFs with any font I'm used to include in PDFs from
DTP programmes, but if this is not the case, then I have to
reconsider quite a few things!

Best wishes, Nikolaj

On 14. sep 2005, at 16:55, Adam Randall wrote:

> I would not use Resource based fonts, which you seem to be doing.
> Try using .ttf fonts instead.
>
> Adam.
>
> On Sep 14, 2005, at 10:42 AM, Nikolaj de Fine Licht wrote:
>

>> Sorry for this Repost but I'm stuck... Maybe I'm the only one
>> trying to use other fonts in PDFs than Helvetica, Courier and
>> Times...?
>>
>> L8, Mac 10.4.
>>
>> What is the correct way to set a font using -file?
>>
>> In my webserving root folder I have a folder named 'fonts' and it
>> contains a font suitcase named 'Garamond' and a number of
>> PostScript outline fonts.
>>
>> I have tried:
>>
>> [var: 'font' = (pdf_font: -file='/fonts/Garamond',  -size=14)]
>>
>> but that returns a 'not recognized' error. Same if I target one of
>> the outline fonts. Is there a hidden file extension I miss?
>>
>> It's obviously something simple here, but I seem unable to find an
>> example in the Language Guide...
>>
>> /nikolaj

Re: [Repost] PDF_Font: -File - how?

Adam Randall
It won't work with resource based fonts.

Adam.

--
Adam Randall <[hidden email]>
Quality Assurance / Support

On Sep 14, 2005, at 3:40 PM, Nikolaj de Fine Licht wrote:

> Adam,
>
> Thanks for your response!
>
> But, just for me to get this right: you say "I would not use..." -
> does that mean "it doesn't work" or IS there a way? I need to know
> because, as a part time graphic designer, I just assumed I could
> have Lasso generate PDFs with any font I'm used to include in PDFs
> from DTP programmes, but if this is not the case, then I have to
> reconsider quite a few things!
>
> Best wishes, Nikolaj
>
> On 14. sep 2005, at 16:55, Adam Randall wrote:
>

>> I would not use Resource based fonts, which you seem to be doing.
>> Try using .ttf fonts instead.
>>
>> Adam.
>>
>> On Sep 14, 2005, at 10:42 AM, Nikolaj de Fine Licht wrote:
>>

>>> Sorry for this Repost but I'm stuck... Maybe I'm the only one
>>> trying to use other fonts in PDFs than Helvetica, Courier and
>>> Times...?
>>>
>>> L8, Mac 10.4.
>>>
>>> What is the correct way to set a font using -file?
>>>
>>> In my webserving root folder I have a folder named 'fonts' and it
>>> contains a font suitcase named 'Garamond' and a number of
>>> PostScript outline fonts.
>>>
>>> I have tried:
>>>
>>> [var: 'font' = (pdf_font: -file='/fonts/Garamond',  -size=14)]
>>>
>>> but that returns a 'not recognized' error. Same if I target one
>>> of the outline fonts. Is there a hidden file extension I miss?
>>>
>>> It's obviously something simple here, but I seem unable to find
>>> an example in the Language Guide...
>>>
>>> /nikolaj

Re: [Repost] PDF_Font: -File - how?

Nikolaj de Fine Licht
OK. That's bad news :)
Should I send the ability to use Postscript Fonts as a feature
request or do you happen to know if it just isn't possible with the
technology used?

It really limits the possibilities, I was one second from promising a
customer to have PDFs created with the special typeface he uses,
which you can't get as TrueType...

Thanks for you answers, best wishes, Nikolaj

On 14. sep 2005, at 21:47, Adam Randall wrote:

> It won't work with resource based fonts.
>
> Adam.
>
> --
> Adam Randall <[hidden email]>
> Quality Assurance / Support
> OmniPilot Software, Inc.
> http://www.omnipilot.com/
> (954) 874-3100
> AIM/iChat: adamomni
>

> On Sep 14, 2005, at 3:40 PM, Nikolaj de Fine Licht wrote:
>

>> Adam,
>>
>> Thanks for your response!
>>
>> But, just for me to get this right: you say "I would not use..." -
>> does that mean "it doesn't work" or IS there a way? I need to know
>> because, as a part time graphic designer, I just assumed I could
>> have Lasso generate PDFs with any font I'm used to include in PDFs
>> from DTP programmes, but if this is not the case, then I have to
>> reconsider quite a few things!
>>
>> Best wishes, Nikolaj
>>
>> On 14. sep 2005, at 16:55, Adam Randall wrote:
>>

>>> I would not use Resource based fonts, which you seem to be doing.
>>> Try using .ttf fonts instead.
>>>
>>> Adam.

Re: [Repost] PDF_Font: -File - how?

Mark Palmer
Nikolaj,

It's been a long time since I did any DTP, so my memory may be incorrect but
it's possible that an application like Fontographer will convert Postscript
fonts to TTF.

Regards

Mark Palmer, Pageworks

T: 01902 620500            F: 01902 620440
E: [hidden email]    W: www.pageworks.co.uk

> From: Nikolaj de Fine Licht <[hidden email]>
> Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 21:58:09 +0200
> To: <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Repost] PDF_Font: -File - how?
>
> OK. That's bad news :)
> Should I send the ability to use Postscript Fonts as a feature
> request or do you happen to know if it just isn't possible with the
> technology used?
>
> It really limits the possibilities, I was one second from promising a
> customer to have PDFs created with the special typeface he uses,
> which you can't get as TrueType...
>
> Thanks for you answers, best wishes, Nikolaj
>
> On 14. sep 2005, at 21:47, Adam Randall wrote:
>
>> It won't work with resource based fonts.
>>
>> Adam.
>>
>> --
>> Adam Randall <[hidden email]>
>> Quality Assurance / Support
>> OmniPilot Software, Inc.
>> http://www.omnipilot.com/
>> (954) 874-3100
>> AIM/iChat: adamomni
>>

>> On Sep 14, 2005, at 3:40 PM, Nikolaj de Fine Licht wrote:
>>

>>> Adam,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your response!
>>>
>>> But, just for me to get this right: you say "I would not use..." -
>>> does that mean "it doesn't work" or IS there a way? I need to know
>>> because, as a part time graphic designer, I just assumed I could
>>> have Lasso generate PDFs with any font I'm used to include in PDFs
>>> from DTP programmes, but if this is not the case, then I have to
>>> reconsider quite a few things!
>>>
>>> Best wishes, Nikolaj

Re: [Repost] PDF_Font: -File - how?

Adam Randall
As long as the font is not a resource based font, which specifically
is a Macintosh format font, it should work with the PDF tags. We
can't provide you with a work around to the issue because it's iText
which provides that functionality. Since iText is generally designed
to work on non-GUI systems, or at least GUI systems that are non-mac
based, it's not likely they will support a proprietary format for a
font for a small installed base.

Your assumption that it doesn't work with PostScript fonts is wrong.
PostScript and TrueType fonts fine, it's just that the container that
they are in needs to be non-resource based.

You can tell if something is resource based by using the terminal and
getting the file size of your font like this:

ls -l ~/Library/Fonts/Garamond

Which results in this:

-rwxr-xr-x   1 randalla  randalla  0 Apr 21  2004 /Users/randalla/
Library/Fonts/Garamond

Notice, the size between the username (randalla) and the date (Apr
21) is 0. You'll also find that this file contains a size in the
Finder (276 KB). This is a sign that all the data is in the resource
fork instead of the data fork. All that `ls` can see is the data fork.

Regards,

Adam.

--
Adam Randall <[hidden email]>
Quality Assurance / Support

On Sep 14, 2005, at 3:58 PM, Nikolaj de Fine Licht wrote:

> OK. That's bad news :)
> Should I send the ability to use Postscript Fonts as a feature
> request or do you happen to know if it just isn't possible with the
> technology used?
>
> It really limits the possibilities, I was one second from promising
> a customer to have PDFs created with the special typeface he uses,
> which you can't get as TrueType...
>
> Thanks for you answers, best wishes, Nikolaj
>
> On 14. sep 2005, at 21:47, Adam Randall wrote:
>

>> It won't work with resource based fonts.
>>
>> Adam.
>>
>> --
>> Adam Randall <[hidden email]>
>> Quality Assurance / Support
>> OmniPilot Software, Inc.
>> http://www.omnipilot.com/
>> (954) 874-3100
>> AIM/iChat: adamomni
>>

>> On Sep 14, 2005, at 3:40 PM, Nikolaj de Fine Licht wrote:
>>

>>> Adam,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your response!
>>>
>>> But, just for me to get this right: you say "I would not use..."
>>> - does that mean "it doesn't work" or IS there a way? I need to
>>> know because, as a part time graphic designer, I just assumed I
>>> could have Lasso generate PDFs with any font I'm used to include
>>> in PDFs from DTP programmes, but if this is not the case, then I
>>> have to reconsider quite a few things!
>>>
>>> Best wishes, Nikolaj

Re: [Repost] PDF_Font: -File - how?

Adam Randall
Yes, there should be ways of converting the fonts to a different
format that can be used with the PDF tags.

Adam.

--
Adam Randall <[hidden email]>
Quality Assurance / Support

On Sep 14, 2005, at 4:04 PM, Mark Palmer wrote:

> Nikolaj,
>
> It's been a long time since I did any DTP, so my memory may be
> incorrect but
> it's possible that an application like Fontographer will convert
> Postscript
> fonts to TTF.
>
> Regards
>

> Mark Palmer, Pageworks
>
> T: 01902 620500            F: 01902 620440
> E: [hidden email]    W: www.pageworks.co.uk
>

>> From: Nikolaj de Fine Licht <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 21:58:09 +0200
>> To: <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: Re: [Repost] PDF_Font: -File - how?
>>
>> OK. That's bad news :)
>> Should I send the ability to use Postscript Fonts as a feature
>> request or do you happen to know if it just isn't possible with the
>> technology used?
>>
>> It really limits the possibilities, I was one second from promising a
>> customer to have PDFs created with the special typeface he uses,
>> which you can't get as TrueType...
>>
>> Thanks for you answers, best wishes, Nikolaj
>>
>> On 14. sep 2005, at 21:47, Adam Randall wrote:
>>

>>> It won't work with resource based fonts.
>>>
>>> Adam.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Adam Randall <[hidden email]>
>>> Quality Assurance / Support
>>> OmniPilot Software, Inc.
>>> http://www.omnipilot.com/
>>> (954) 874-3100
>>> AIM/iChat: adamomni

Re: [Repost] PDF_Font: -File - how?

Nikolaj de Fine Licht
Thanks Mark, I will look at that. Seems the problem isn't PostScript
versus TrueType, though, but the old Macintosh splitting into
resource fork and data fork.

Best wishes, Nikolaj

On 14. sep 2005, at 22:04, Mark Palmer wrote:

> Nikolaj,
>
> It's been a long time since I did any DTP, so my memory may be
> incorrect but
> it's possible that an application like Fontographer will convert
> Postscript
> fonts to TTF.
>
> Regards
>

> Mark Palmer, Pageworks

Re: [Repost] PDF_Font: -File - how?

Nikolaj de Fine Licht
Adam,

Thank you for your in-depth explanation, I wrongly understood
"resource based" as equal to "PostScript".

I looked at various of my fonts with Terminal as you described, and
they are of course all resource based, even the few TrueType ones I
have. Only the .dfont-ones added by OSX seems not to be. Yes, my font
base isn't new...

However, as a test I copied Skia.dfont into my webserving folder and
still I get the same message: -9953 Font is not recognized. The full
text reads:
"PDF_Font: Font '/Library/WebServer/Documents/musicmedia/musicmedia/
fonts/Skia.dfont' with 'Cp1252' is not recognized."

> ...it's not likely they will support a proprietary format for a
> font for a small installed base.

Well, it might be a small base, but graphic design on Macintosh has
to my modest knowledge always been based on what I now know as being
resource based PostScript fonts. I cannot be the first one in the
history of Lasso/PDF running into this problem, or...? I have many
many paid-for PS fonts that I can't use then, I have to look at font
converters and/or buy fonts. It's a bit frustrating...

Am I wrong or is there no note about this in the Language Guide?

Best wishes, Nikolaj

Re: [Repost] PDF_Font: -File - how?

Nikolaj de Fine Licht
Hmm, Fontographer seems to be Windows only and has quite bad reviews...

Do you happen to know of any other conversion methods exist...?

Thanks, Nikolaj

On 15. sep 2005, at 4:02, Nikolaj de Fine Licht wrote:

> Thanks Mark, I will look at that. Seems the problem isn't
> PostScript versus TrueType, though, but the old Macintosh splitting
> into resource fork and data fork.
>
> Best wishes, Nikolaj
>
> On 14. sep 2005, at 22:04, Mark Palmer wrote:
>

>> Nikolaj,
>>
>> It's been a long time since I did any DTP, so my memory may be
>> incorrect but
>> it's possible that an application like Fontographer will convert
>> Postscript
>> fonts to TTF.
>>
>> Regards
>>

>> Mark Palmer, Pageworks

Re: [Repost] PDF_Font: -File - how?

John Williscroft
Hi
Fontographer is OS9 only for the Mac - no OS X. I don't think it's been
updated for donkey's years and who knows what'll happen under the new
company. Have a scout round Google, there are utilities which do
various font conversions listed at
<cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/conversion.html>. Also look at <www.fontlab.com>

best rgds
john

On Thursday, September 15, 2005, at 03:27  pm, Nikolaj de Fine Licht
wrote:

> Hmm, Fontographer seems to be Windows only and has quite bad reviews...
>
> Do you happen to know of any other conversion methods exist...?
>
> Thanks, Nikolaj

www.icatching.co.uk   t:0845 644 2884   f:0871 733 5358

Re: [Repost] PDF_Font: -File - how?

Nikolaj de Fine Licht
John,

Thanks for your input!

It seems that the right thing would be TransType Pro from FontLab
http://desktoppub.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/
XJ&sdn=desktoppub&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pyrus.com%2Fhtml%2Ftranstype.html
at the 'modest' price of $179.

I still find it very discouraging that I may have to go through all
this in order to make anything else than Helvetica and Courier in
PDFs with Lasso...

Best wishes, Nikolaj

On 15. sep 2005, at 16:49, John Williscroft wrote:

> Hi
> Fontographer is OS9 only for the Mac - no OS X. I don't think it's
> been updated for donkey's years and who knows what'll happen under
> the new company. Have a scout round Google, there are utilities
> which do various font conversions listed at <cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/
> conversion.html>. Also look at <www.fontlab.com>
>
> best rgds
> john

Re: [Repost] PDF_Font: -File - how?

Or just get 20,590 free TrueType fonts from here:
<http://fonts.goldenweb.it/index_file/l/it/d2/True_Type_Fonts/c/g/default.html>

Lookie!  There is Garamond!

--steve

On Thursday, September 15, 2005, [hidden email] (Nikolaj de Fine Licht) pronounced:

>John,
>
>Thanks for your input!
>
>It seems that the right thing would be TransType Pro from FontLab
>http://desktoppub.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/
>XJ&sdn=desktoppub&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pyrus.com%2Fhtml%2Ftranstype.html
>at the 'modest' price of $179.
>
>I still find it very discouraging that I may have to go through all
>this in order to make anything else than Helvetica and Courier in
>PDFs with Lasso...
>
>Best wishes, Nikolaj
>
>On 15. sep 2005, at 16:49, John Williscroft wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> Fontographer is OS9 only for the Mac - no OS X. I don't think it's
>> been updated for donkey's years and who knows what'll happen under
>> the new company. Have a scout round Google, there are utilities
>> which do various font conversions listed at <cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/
>> conversion.html>. Also look at <www.fontlab.com>
>>
>> best rgds
>> john

<[hidden email]>                   <http://www.StevePiercy.com>

Re: [Repost] PDF_Font: -File - how?

Adam Randall
You keep referring to it like it's an issue with Lasso. It's not. You
are dealing with iText in this instance. I found the iText
documentation in regards to which font files are supported by iText:

     <http://itextdocs.lowagie.com/tutorial/fonts/getting/#files>

Basically, it says that these file formats are supported:

     TTF - True Type Font (.ttf)
     TTC - True Type Collection (.ttc)
     OTF - Open Type Font (.otf)
     ASM - Adobe Font Metric (.asm)

If you are trying to embed (copy the font into the PDF itself) a copy
protected font, you'll get an error from iText stating it. I've been
hard pressed to find ones that aren't. It's unfortunate that iText
doesn't seem to support dfont files, which are data-fork true type
fonts, according to the Finder.

Regards,

Adam.

--
Adam Randall <[hidden email]>
Quality Assurance / Support

On Sep 15, 2005, at 11:13 AM, Nikolaj de Fine Licht wrote:

> John,
>
> Thanks for your input!
>
> It seems that the right thing would be TransType Pro from FontLab
> http://desktoppub.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/
> XJ&sdn=desktoppub&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pyrus.com%2Fhtml%
> 2Ftranstype.html
> at the 'modest' price of $179.
>
> I still find it very discouraging that I may have to go through all
> this in order to make anything else than Helvetica and Courier in
> PDFs with Lasso...
>
> Best wishes, Nikolaj
>
> On 15. sep 2005, at 16:49, John Williscroft wrote:
>

>> Hi
>> Fontographer is OS9 only for the Mac - no OS X. I don't think it's
>> been updated for donkey's years and who knows what'll happen under
>> the new company. Have a scout round Google, there are utilities
>> which do various font conversions listed at <cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/
>> conversion.html>. Also look at <www.fontlab.com>
>>
>> best rgds
>> john

Re: [Repost] PDF_Font: -File - how?

Nikolaj de Fine Licht
Adam,

I'm sorry for sounding impatient :)  I simply look at the
possibilities I have at hand, which in this case is Lasso, and I
couldn't do what from MY, probably wrong, point of view seemed
obvious. Really, I'm totally new to generating PDFs on the fly, for
me it doesn't matter wether it's iText, Lasso itself or something
else, I just can't use my fonts. It's that simple...

But I stop here, I have had lots of inputs on how to get around this
problem.

Best wishes, Nikolaj

On 15. sep 2005, at 18:26, Adam Randall wrote:

> You keep referring to it like it's an issue with Lasso. It's not.
> You are dealing with iText in this instance. I found the iText
> documentation in regards to which font files are supported by iText:

Re: [Repost] PDF_Font: -File - how?

Nikolaj de Fine Licht
Thanks Steve, interesting. Would that be legal...? However, many of
the fonts listed seemingly aren't actually downloadable, but thank
you for the link :)

Best wishes, Nikolaj

On 15. sep 2005, at 17:38, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:

> Or just get 20,590 free TrueType fonts from here:
> <http://fonts.goldenweb.it/index_file/l/it/d2/True_Type_Fonts/c/g/
> default.html>

Re: [Repost] PDF_Font: -File - how?

I don't know whether they are legal.  I cannot understand Italian.  It would be logical to assume that for those fonts listed where there is no download, the site does not have permission to do so, but they are listed for the sake of their existence and referral to the fontographer.

Nonetheless, there is a lookalike named "Garamon" without the "d":
<http://download.goldenweb.it/fonts/download2.php?d2=True_Type_Fonts&c=g&file2=Garamon.ttf>
...and plenty of other neato fonts.

Hope this helps.

--steve

On Thursday, September 15, 2005, [hidden email] (Nikolaj de Fine Licht) pronounced:

>Thanks Steve, interesting. Would that be legal...? However, many of
>the fonts listed seemingly aren't actually downloadable, but thank
>you for the link :)
>
>Best wishes, Nikolaj
>
>On 15. sep 2005, at 17:38, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:
>
>> Or just get 20,590 free TrueType fonts from here:
>> <http://fonts.goldenweb.it/index_file/l/it/d2/True_Type_Fonts/c/g/
>> default.html>

<[hidden email]>                   <http://www.StevePiercy.com>

Re: [Repost] PDF_Font: -File - how?

Nikolaj de Fine Licht
Thanks a lot, Steve :)

/nikolaj

On 16. sep 2005, at 0:11, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:

> I don't know whether they are legal.  I cannot understand Italian.
> It would be logical to assume that for those fonts listed where
> there is no download, the site does not have permission to do so,
> but they are listed for the sake of their existence and referral to
> the fontographer.
>
> Nonetheless, there is a lookalike named "Garamon" without the "d":
> <http://download.goldenweb.it/fonts/download2.php?
> d2=True_Type_Fonts&c=g&file2=Garamon.ttf>
> ...and plenty of other neato fonts.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> --steve

Re: [Repost] PDF_Font: -File - how?

Bil Corry
> I cannot understand Italian.

There is an "English" button (in the upper right corner, IIRC) that will present the English version of the site.

- Bil

------

Bil Corry
[hidden email]

Enterprise internet application development and security consulting
  http://www.fivegeeks.com/

Tools for Rapid Lasso Development
  http://www.lassoware.com/