Repetitive Calendar Events

Doug Gentry
I won't hijack Jolle's thread on comparing dates, but his calendar
solution reminded me of a problem I faced and then set aside.

I have a client who would like to schedule repetitive calendar events
- e.g. every Tuesday for 10 weeks at 3:30 pm. I think I could work out
a process to add an event like that, but then if it needs editing I'm
stuck. Has anyone (Jolle?) done this on their calendar system and if
so what is the best data structure? Perhaps a separate table for
repetitive events? ...or...?

...Doug

---
Doug Gentry
Dynapolis & Southern Oregon University
p:  541-261-8501 / Toll Free: 866-890-6013
[hidden email]
www.dynapolis.com - blog: www.plain-sense.com

Re: Repetitive Calendar Events

jasonhuck
A while back, I started working on a web-based version of Apple iCal's
interface for adding and editing events, intending to eventually
incorporate it into our existing calendaring solutions. Unfortunately,
a combination of (a) work that was actually billable, and (b) a
plethora of other random side projects and distractions, conspired to
keep me from completing it.

I got as far as a demo that lets you build an event and download it
straight into Apple iCal. It uses Lasso's built-in iCalendar types,
and supports all of the recurrence options available in Apple iCal.
There are a couple of UI elements in the form that don't quite render
correctly in anything except Firefox (only browser that lets you style
<option> elements).

You can try it out here:
http://dev.corefive.net/ical/

I can provide the source as-is if it's of use to anyone, but I don't
have time to do anything further with it myself.

- jason

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 7:06 PM, Doug Gentry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I won't hijack Jolle's thread on comparing dates, but his calendar solution
> reminded me of a problem I faced and then set aside.
>
>  I have a client who would like to schedule repetitive calendar events -
> e.g. every Tuesday for 10 weeks at 3:30 pm. I think I could work out a
> process to add an event like that, but then if it needs editing I'm stuck.
> Has anyone (Jolle?) done this on their calendar system and if so what is the
> best data structure? Perhaps a separate table for repetitive events?
> ...or...?
>
>  ...Doug
>

>  ---
>  Doug Gentry
>  Dynapolis & Southern Oregon University
>  p:  541-261-8501 / Toll Free: 866-890-6013
>  [hidden email]
>  www.dynapolis.com - blog: www.plain-sense.com
>

>  --
>  This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

tagSwap.net :: Open Source Lasso Code
<http://tagSwap.net/>

Re: Repetitive Calendar Events

Fletcher Sandbeck-3
On 5/12/08 at 4:06 PM, [hidden email] (Doug Gentry) wrote:

>I won't hijack Jolle's thread on comparing dates, but his
>calendar solution reminded me of a problem I faced and then set aside.
>
>I have a client who would like to schedule repetitive calendar events
>- e.g. every Tuesday for 10 weeks at 3:30 pm. I think I could work out
>a process to add an event like that, but then if it needs editing I'm
>stuck. Has anyone (Jolle?) done this on their calendar system and if
>so what is the best data structure? Perhaps a separate table for
>repetitive events? ...or...?

I think what you usually do is create a concept of provisional
repetitions.  Any events which are prior to "now" are considered
fixed.  Events in the future are considered provisional.

When the user creates a repeating event you render as many
future repetitions as you need to.  You might go out a couple
years or if they set a fixed number of repetitions you'll just
render that many.  All of these repetitions are marked as
provisional.  As "now" sweeps past them they become fixed.

When the user edits the repeating event you only modify events
in the future.  If they modify one event, moving a single
meeting, then you simply change the type of event from
provisional to fixed.  That event is detached and will not be
modified even if the original event is modified.

The user can also modify all future events.  In that case you
delete all the provisional events and recreate them based on the
new schedule.  Events which have already passed are not modified.

The user can view any events within your couple years render
period without any additional work.  If they view out further
then you can create additional provisional repetitions out that far.

LassoSoft, LLC                          http://www.lassosoft.com

Doug Gentry wrote on 5/12/2008 6:06 PM:
> I have a client who would like to schedule repetitive calendar events -
> e.g. every Tuesday for 10 weeks at 3:30 pm. I think I could work out a
> process to add an event like that, but then if it needs editing I'm
> stuck. Has anyone (Jolle?) done this on their calendar system and if so
> what is the best data structure? Perhaps a separate table for repetitive
> events? ...or...?

This is from a couple of years ago, but the advice is still solid (I've used this method with several solutions):

<http://www.listsearch.com/Lasso/Message/index.lasso?209671>

And squirreled away in the source code for Startup.Lassoapp is some code that looks interesting (date_utils.lasso).  There's a ctype called [date_schedule] that I always meant to ask about.  Not sure if it's helpful or not.  Maybe Fletcher can chime in with its use and function.

On 5/12/08 at 9:22 PM, [hidden email] (Bil Corry) wrote:

>Doug Gentry wrote on 5/12/2008 6:06 PM:
>>I have a client who would like to schedule repetitive calendar
>>events - e.g. every Tuesday for 10 weeks at 3:30 pm. I think I
>>could work out a process to add an event like that, but then
>>if it needs editing I'm stuck. Has anyone (Jolle?) done this
>>on their calendar system and if so what is the best data
>>structure? Perhaps a separate table for repetitive events? ...or...?
>
>This is from a couple of years ago, but the advice is still
>solid (I've used this method with several solutions):
>
><http://www.listsearch.com/Lasso/Message/index.lasso?209671>
>
>And squirreled away in the source code for Startup.Lassoapp is
>some code that looks interesting (date_utils.lasso).  There's a
>ctype called [date_schedule] that I always meant to ask about.
>Not sure if it's helpful or not.  Maybe Fletcher can chime in
>with its use and function.

That is the orphan of a feature that was never completed.  We
ended up going a different direction with the iCal tags.

LassoSoft, LLC                          http://www.lassosoft.com