Redirect Incoming Visitor Based on Country to Different Versions of Page

Redirect Incoming Visitor Based on Country to Different Versions of Page

Matt Matuska
Had a question regarding the ability to redirect an incoming visitor from
outside the U.S. or from a specific foreign country to a different version
of our web page?

We are looking to decipher if the originating client browsing our web page
is coming in from a different country and if so, redirect them to a
different version of the web page.

In looking at our web traffic logs my supervisor noticed that we get a
significant percentage of traffic coming in from Chinese IP¹s.  We
manufacture and sell steel construction parts and (if it¹s possible) we
don't want the Chinese web visitors to see the same pricing and design pages
we show web visitors from the U.S./Canada.  The solution doesn¹t necessarily
have to be able to re-route just the China visitors, we could settle for
redirecting any international visitor from a non-U.S. IP address if that¹s
easier...

I was trying to figure out if there was a Lasso tag relating to this kind of
thing but I didn't see one...  Seems like it would require some DNS lookups
to trace it out and see if it resolves to a *.cn or *.fr or whatever country
we are filtering.  I¹m assuming the web traffic log software is doing
something similar to this in their log reports to show where the traffic
came from.

Any help or advice is appreciated.  This may be an issue best tackled
through Apache or something else on the server, but if a Lasso solution
possible that would be preferred.

Thanks,

Matt

Re: Redirect Incoming Visitor Based on Country to Different Versions of Page

Rick Draper
Hi Matt,

You most likely will want to use one of the GeoIP lists (eg. http://www.maxmind.com/app/geoip_country) and just compare the incoming client IP to your allowed list.

There have been several discussions on the LassoTalk list over the years on this topic.

Very best regards,

Rick

Re: Redirect Incoming Visitor Based on Country to Different Versions of Page

Have a look at the implementation of language preference in
Knop.  It has some good logic for making the determination.

http://code.google.com/p/knop/
http://knop.googlecode.com/files/Knop%20Paper.pdf

Using an IP for geolocation is fine, but using it for
determining a language preference has problems.  For example, if
the IP is located in a multi-lingual country, which language do
you serve?  It is better to leave the language preference to
that which is on the client's web browser, which is usually
inherited from the installation of their OS.

--steve

On 3/4/10 at 10:16 AM, [hidden email] (Matt Matuska) pronounced:

>Had a question regarding the ability to redirect an incoming visitor from
>outside the U.S. or from a specific foreign country to a different version
>of our web page?
>
>We are looking to decipher if the originating client browsing our web page
>is coming in from a different country and if so, redirect them to a
>different version of the web page.
>
>In looking at our web traffic logs my supervisor noticed that we get a
>significant percentage of traffic coming in from Chinese IP¹s.  We
>manufacture and sell steel construction parts and (if it¹s possible) we
>don't want the Chinese web visitors to see the same pricing and design pages
>we show web visitors from the U.S./Canada.  The solution doesn¹t necessarily
>have to be able to re-route just the China visitors, we could settle for
>redirecting any international visitor from a non-U.S. IP address if that¹s
>easier...
>
>I was trying to figure out if there was a Lasso tag relating to this kind of
>thing but I didn't see one...  Seems like it would require some DNS lookups
>to trace it out and see if it resolves to a *.cn or *.fr or whatever country
>we are filtering.  I¹m assuming the web traffic log software is doing
>something similar to this in their log reports to show where the traffic
>came from.
>
>Any help or advice is appreciated.  This may be an issue best tackled
>through Apache or something else on the server, but if a Lasso solution
>possible that would be preferred.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Matt
>

>--
>This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

-- --
Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder
Soquel, CA

Re: Redirect Incoming Visitor Based on Country to Different Versions of Page

Johan Solve
You could use a country DNSBL and perform dns_lookup on the client_ip
to figure out if the IP belongs the country in question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNSBL

Not sure if there is a good DNSBL for country IPs though.

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 7:16 PM, Matt Matuska <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Had a question regarding the ability to redirect an incoming visitor from
> outside the U.S. or from a specific foreign country to a different version
> of our web page?
>
> We are looking to decipher if the originating client browsing our web page
> is coming in from a different country and if so, redirect them to a
> different version of the web page.
>
> In looking at our web traffic logs my supervisor noticed that we get a
> significant percentage of traffic coming in from Chinese IP¹s.  We
> manufacture and sell steel construction parts and (if it¹s possible) we
> don't want the Chinese web visitors to see the same pricing and design pages
> we show web visitors from the U.S./Canada.  The solution doesn¹t necessarily
> have to be able to re-route just the China visitors, we could settle for
> redirecting any international visitor from a non-U.S. IP address if that¹s
> easier...
>
> I was trying to figure out if there was a Lasso tag relating to this kind of
> thing but I didn't see one...  Seems like it would require some DNS lookups
> to trace it out and see if it resolves to a *.cn or *.fr or whatever country
> we are filtering.  I¹m assuming the web traffic log software is doing
> something similar to this in their log reports to show where the traffic
> came from.
>
> Any help or advice is appreciated.  This may be an issue best tackled
> through Apache or something else on the server, but if a Lasso solution
> possible that would be preferred.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt

Mvh
Johan Sölve
Montania System AB
Halmstad   Stockholm   Malmö
http://www.montania.se

Johan Sölve
Mobil +46 709-51 55 70
[hidden email]

Kristinebergsvägen 17, S-302 41 Halmstad, Sweden
Telefon +46 35-136800 |  Fax +46 35-136801