Recommendations for Linux / Rack mount server?

Recommendations for Linux / Rack mount server?

John Morris-3
Hello All,

Now that Apple has killed their xserve, I'm wondering what all of you linux users are using for os / hardware?
I love Mac OS, but... I need a rack mount server.

That being said, what is the most user friendly Linux OS that lasso will run on?
And what hardware are yall running it on?

Thanks for the info.

 - John Morris

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: Recommendations for Linux / Rack mount server?

Rick Draper-2
Hi John,

We are just running up 3 new Dell PowerEdge R710 servers to host CentOS  5.5
VMs (32 bit for Lasso 9 for now, but 64 bit for MySQL).

Each of the two main machines is equipped with 64GB of RAM, two quad core
processors and effectively 6 TB of drive space in RAID 6.  The smaller one
has 24 GIG of RAM and 2TB in RAID 1 (it's for a specific purpose at a remote
location)

We are making the move to Linux from Windows due to the decision to deploy a
major Lasso 9 project, and all our other servers bar 1 are Dell and we have
had extremely good service from them (others may have different experiences,
but ours has been overwhelmingly positive).

Very best regards,

Rick

Re: Recommendations for Linux / Rack mount server?

Eric Knibbe
Our base hardware is HP ProLiant DL380s running VMware ESX, on top of
which are a number of virtual machines running CentOS 4 or 5. To get
Lasso 8.5 running on CentOS 5, we relied on instructions (and the
comment thread) from <http://devblog.jasonhuck.com/2009/01/08/installing-lasso-on-centos-5/
 >. Since the latest MySQL available via the standard yum repos is
5.0, we added an extra repository to allow us to install 5.1 or 5.5,
as outlined at <http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=19039
 >.

If you're a fan of browser-based server configuration, we've had
success with Webmin <http://www.webmin.com/>; you could also try
ClearOS <http://www.clearfoundation.com/Software/overview.html>, which
is RHEL/CentOS-based.
---
Eric3

On 16-Mar-11, at 1:21 PM, John Morris wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Now that Apple has killed their xserve, I'm wondering what all of
> you linux users are using for os / hardware?
> I love Mac OS, but... I need a rack mount server.
>
> That being said, what is the most user friendly Linux OS that lasso
> will run on?
> And what hardware are yall running it on?

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: Recommendations for Linux / Rack mount server?

Sean Stephens-2
John

Once upon a time we were the largest enterprise hosting XServe facility in Canada. A few months ago, we deprecated the final machine. Here's a blast from the past (circa 2003);

http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/Home/News.asp?id=11747

We bought a new Dell machine a few years ago - as soon as we had it in full production, the RAID card blew up and fried everything - and blew the backup process as well (which cost us our CVS and a few clients to boot). I know it was just a fluke, but I can't help it - I am still very, very bitter and get wobbly knees when I hear "Dell".

We have since moved completely to VMware on HP hardware (with virtualization across the company), and in two years have been deliriously happy with the results (Loaded DL380s with MSAs). It costs more for the hardware, but that equates to costing less in the long run. My hair loss has significantly decreased.

There's my plug for HP. :)

Sean Stephens
CEO
"Dons Treefrog hat"

On 2011-03-16, at 1:21 PM, John Morris wrote:
> Now that Apple has killed their xserve, I'm wondering what all of you linux users are using for os / hardware?

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: Recommendations for Linux / Rack mount server?

Marc Pope-2
You definitely want to run Centos 5 because thats what lasso supports, to help in the admin of the server id highly recommend interworx control panel. Cpanel and plesk are also good choices. Virtualmin + webmin is a good free option as well.

On Mar 16, 2011, at 1:21 PM, John Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Now that Apple has killed their xserve, I'm wondering what all of you linux users are using for os / hardware?
> I love Mac OS, but... I need a rack mount server.
>
> That being said, what is the most user friendly Linux OS that lasso will run on?
> And what hardware are yall running it on?
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> - John Morris

> To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
> To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: Recommendations for Linux / Rack mount server?

lasso-3
Here at SkyVantage, we build our own machines based off Supermicro
barebones platform.   Supermicro is really kick ass, and if you like
designing the EXACT server for your mission, you can't beat it.

We have a corporate account at Newegg.com

We run EVERYTHING minus MySQL boxes in a VMWare infrastructure on
Supermicro based servers with either RAID 10 or SSD's.

As for how to manage the boxes, we don't install any UI and setup
everything via command line  (runlevel 3).   GUI's on a server always
confused me, in that it seems like GUI's are completely un needed and
add bloat.  I'm no help there!

Our current lasso 8.5.6 app servers are running on CentOS 4.7 in 32bit mode.

We plan on upgrading those to 8.6 on CentOS 5.5 in 64bit mode.  (all
on VMWare VSphere)

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: Recommendations for Linux / Rack mount server?

Hi, John:

We decided a while ago that managing our servers was getting more complex than we need to know. Recently we have installed Lasso 8.6 within a Rackspace environment. The advantage is you can manage it yourself, or go with their managed services where they will literally help you with everything.

Here is the contact we have at Rackspace.

Nicole Cook <[hidden email]>

We also loved our xserves.

Anyway this is a great option to explore, evaluate, etc. WITHOUT a huge investment

Deco

On Mar 16, 2011, at 11:21 AM, John Morris wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Now that Apple has killed their xserve, I'm wondering what all of you linux users are using for os / hardware?
> I love Mac OS, but... I need a rack mount server.
>
> That being said, what is the most user friendly Linux OS that lasso will run on?
> And what hardware are yall running it on?
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> - John Morris

> To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
> To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Deco Rior
[hidden email]

O:(720) 207-2806
F:(303) 942-7417

TennisSource.Net
software to power your tennis facility

This electronic mail message is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This message, together with any attachment, may contain confidential and privileged information.   Any unauthorized review, use, printing, copying, retention, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email message to the sender and delete all copies of this message. Thank you

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: Recommendations for Linux / Rack mount server?

John May-2
Note that we offer OS X Server VMs here if you want to stick with OS X
but not have to deal with the hardware:

        http://www.pointinspace.com/os-x-virtual-dedicated-servers.html

And, yeap, we'll use Mac Pros if we have to - though we just put up a
bunch of tasty 8 core, hyperthreading, 96GB RAM Xserves.

        - John

On 3/16/11 6:17 PM, Deco Rior wrote:

> Hi, John:
>
> We decided a while ago that managing our servers was getting more
> complex than we need to know. Recently we have installed Lasso 8.6
> within a Rackspace environment. The advantage is you can manage it
> yourself, or go with their managed services where they will literally
> help you with everything.
>
> Here is the contact we have at Rackspace.
>
> Nicole Cook<[hidden email]>
>
> We also loved our xserves.
>
> Anyway this is a great option to explore, evaluate, etc. WITHOUT a
> huge investment
>
> Deco
>

> On Mar 16, 2011, at 11:21 AM, John Morris wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> Now that Apple has killed their xserve, I'm wondering what all of
>> you linux users are using for os / hardware? I love Mac OS, but...
>> I need a rack mount server.
>>
>> That being said, what is the most user friendly Linux OS that lasso
>> will run on? And what hardware are yall running it on?
>>
>> Thanks for the info.
>>
>> - John Morris

John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]

              Twitter: http://twitter.com/pointinspace/
            Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PointInSpace/

         Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
           on shared, virtual and hardware dedicated servers

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: Recommendations for Linux / Rack mount server?

Brian Loomis-4
I would add that we've been working with a client who is hosting their
FileMaker servers on one of the new VMs that PIS provides.

It's outperforming when it was on Amazon and on RackSpace.

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 5:31 PM, John May <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Note that we offer OS X Server VMs here if you want to stick with OS X but
> not have to deal with the hardware:
>
>        http://www.pointinspace.com/os-x-virtual-dedicated-servers.html
>
> And, yeap, we'll use Mac Pros if we have to - though we just put up a bunch
> of tasty 8 core, hyperthreading, 96GB RAM Xserves.
>
>        - John
>

> On 3/16/11 6:17 PM, Deco Rior wrote:
>>
>> Hi, John:
>>
>> We decided a while ago that managing our servers was getting more
>> complex than we need to know. Recently we have installed Lasso 8.6
>> within a Rackspace environment. The advantage is you can manage it
>> yourself, or go with their managed services where they will literally
>> help you with everything.
>>
>> Here is the contact we have at Rackspace.
>>
>> Nicole Cook<[hidden email]>
>>
>> We also loved our xserves.
>>
>> Anyway this is a great option to explore, evaluate, etc. WITHOUT a
>> huge investment
>>
>> Deco
>>

>> On Mar 16, 2011, at 11:21 AM, John Morris wrote:
>>
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> Now that Apple has killed their xserve, I'm wondering what all of
>>> you linux users are using for os / hardware? I love Mac OS, but...
>>> I need a rack mount server.
>>>
>>> That being said, what is the most user friendly Linux OS that lasso
>>> will run on? And what hardware are yall running it on?
>>>
>>> Thanks for the info.
>>>
>>> - John Morris

> John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
> Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]
>
>             Twitter: http://twitter.com/pointinspace/
>           Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PointInSpace/
>
>        Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
>          on shared, virtual and hardware dedicated servers

> To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
> To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: Recommendations for Linux / Rack mount server?

John Morris-3
ok, here goes. Im about to show all my ignorance!

When it comes to VM... I'm in the dark ages.
I guess I really know NOTHING about them.

I'm use to having a real server, with all the apps installed on it, and having to take control of it, to install an update, or do something on it.

Is it the same with VM's? or it is all via the terminal?

When I think of Virtualization, I instantly think of Virtual PC....... DOG SLOW, and that will explain why I've kept my eyes and ears closed on the topic, till now.....

So, any one want to show me the light?

 - John Morris

On Mar 24, 2011, at 11:34 AM, Brian Loomis wrote:

> I would add that we've been working with a client who is hosting their
> FileMaker servers on one of the new VMs that PIS provides.
>
> It's outperforming when it was on Amazon and on RackSpace.
>
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 5:31 PM, John May <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Note that we offer OS X Server VMs here if you want to stick with OS X but
>> not have to deal with the hardware:
>>
>>        http://www.pointinspace.com/os-x-virtual-dedicated-servers.html
>>
>> And, yeap, we'll use Mac Pros if we have to - though we just put up a bunch
>> of tasty 8 core, hyperthreading, 96GB RAM Xserves.
>>
>>        - John
>>

>> On 3/16/11 6:17 PM, Deco Rior wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi, John:
>>>
>>> We decided a while ago that managing our servers was getting more
>>> complex than we need to know. Recently we have installed Lasso 8.6
>>> within a Rackspace environment. The advantage is you can manage it
>>> yourself, or go with their managed services where they will literally
>>> help you with everything.
>>>
>>> Here is the contact we have at Rackspace.
>>>
>>> Nicole Cook<[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> We also loved our xserves.
>>>
>>> Anyway this is a great option to explore, evaluate, etc. WITHOUT a
>>> huge investment
>>>
>>> Deco

>> John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
>> Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]
>>
>>             Twitter: http://twitter.com/pointinspace/
>>           Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PointInSpace/
>>
>>        Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
>>          on shared, virtual and hardware dedicated servers

>> To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
>> To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
>> Send administrative queries to  <[hidden email]>

> To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
> To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: Recommendations for Linux / Rack mount server?

John May-2
Glad to hear!  We try our best =)

        - John

On 3/24/11 12:34 PM, Brian Loomis wrote:

> I would add that we've been working with a client who is hosting
> their FileMaker servers on one of the new VMs that PIS provides.
>
> It's outperforming when it was on Amazon and on RackSpace.
>
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 5:31 PM, John
> May<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Note that we offer OS X Server VMs here if you want to stick with
>> OS X but not have to deal with the hardware:
>>
>> http://www.pointinspace.com/os-x-virtual-dedicated-servers.html
>>
>> And, yeap, we'll use Mac Pros if we have to - though we just put up
>> a bunch of tasty 8 core, hyperthreading, 96GB RAM Xserves.
>>
>> - John
>>

>> On 3/16/11 6:17 PM, Deco Rior wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi, John:
>>>
>>> We decided a while ago that managing our servers was getting
>>> more complex than we need to know. Recently we have installed
>>> Lasso 8.6 within a Rackspace environment. The advantage is you
>>> can manage it yourself, or go with their managed services where
>>> they will literally help you with everything.
>>>
>>> Here is the contact we have at Rackspace.
>>>
>>> Nicole Cook<[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> We also loved our xserves.
>>>
>>> Anyway this is a great option to explore, evaluate, etc. WITHOUT
>>> a huge investment
>>>
>>> Deco

John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]

              Twitter: http://twitter.com/pointinspace/
            Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PointInSpace/

         Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
           on shared, virtual and hardware dedicated servers

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: Recommendations for Linux / Rack mount server?

John May-2
A virtual machine gives you your entire own operating system instance.
It looks and feels just like running on your own piece of hardware, the
difference being that multiple VMs can run on one hardware server.

When you speak of Virtual PC, you are referring to emulation.  Virtual
PC translates one processors commands to another, which is very
inefficient.  Virtual Machines, on the other hand, run on a hypervisor
that doles out the hardware's resources to multiple OS instances.  There
is no emulation involved - these are OSen running on their native
processors.

As for the speed of your VM, that is entirely dependent on what type of
hardware your hosting provider runs their services on.  This page gives
a brief overview of our systems:

        http://www.pointinspace.com/os-x-virtual-dedicated-servers.html

We were sure to implement very fast servers, with lots of RAM,
back-ended to the fastest NAS systems available.  This is not the case
with all VM providers, many of whom don't even mention on their web
sites their hardware specs.  There's a huge difference between running
on systems like ours with Xeon processors and RAID 10 15k SAS drives in
a Fibre Channel SAN vs. some other providers running on consumer Core
processors and SATA drives.

Feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions either
here or off-list to jmay(at)pointinspace.com.  Thanks!

        - John

On 3/24/11 1:50 PM, John Morris wrote:

> ok, here goes. Im about to show all my ignorance!
>
> When it comes to VM... I'm in the dark ages. I guess I really know
> NOTHING about them.
>
> I'm use to having a real server, with all the apps installed on it,
> and having to take control of it, to install an update, or do
> something on it.
>
> Is it the same with VM's? or it is all via the terminal?
>
> When I think of Virtualization, I instantly think of Virtual
> PC....... DOG SLOW, and that will explain why I've kept my eyes and
> ears closed on the topic, till now.....
>
> So, any one want to show me the light?
>
> - John Morris
>

> On Mar 24, 2011, at 11:34 AM, Brian Loomis wrote:
>
>> I would add that we've been working with a client who is hosting
>> their FileMaker servers on one of the new VMs that PIS provides.
>>
>> It's outperforming when it was on Amazon and on RackSpace.
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 5:31 PM, John
>> May<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> Note that we offer OS X Server VMs here if you want to stick with
>>> OS X but not have to deal with the hardware:
>>>
>>> http://www.pointinspace.com/os-x-virtual-dedicated-servers.html
>>>
>>> And, yeap, we'll use Mac Pros if we have to - though we just put
>>> up a bunch of tasty 8 core, hyperthreading, 96GB RAM Xserves.
>>>
>>> - John

John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]

              Twitter: http://twitter.com/pointinspace/
            Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PointInSpace/

         Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
           on shared, virtual and hardware dedicated servers

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: Recommendations for Linux / Rack mount server?

John Morris-3
ok, so it would be just like having my server co-located somewhere.

Are you limited to what OS can be on a virtual machine? Can you have Mac OS X? or only linux and windows.

Are you guaranteed a CPU %? or a ram amount?
Could still tell mysql to use 1Gb of ram?

Also, if the computer dies or needs a restart, that would take down all VMs on that machine right?

But  user could restart their VM with out effecting other VM' s on that server.

I could run a VM my special build of mysql on it, and the sphinx search plugin for mysql for it. Lasso could be installed. And I could upgrade the OS whenever I saw fit.
I could ssh to it, and do anything I could normally do on a real server that I had full access to.

Does that about sum it up?

 - John Morris

On Mar 24, 2011, at 1:27 PM, John May wrote:

> A virtual machine gives you your entire own operating system instance. It looks and feels just like running on your own piece of hardware, the difference being that multiple VMs can run on one hardware server.
>
> When you speak of Virtual PC, you are referring to emulation.  Virtual PC translates one processors commands to another, which is very inefficient.  Virtual Machines, on the other hand, run on a hypervisor that doles out the hardware's resources to multiple OS instances.  There is no emulation involved - these are OSen running on their native processors.
>
> As for the speed of your VM, that is entirely dependent on what type of hardware your hosting provider runs their services on.  This page gives a brief overview of our systems:
>
> http://www.pointinspace.com/os-x-virtual-dedicated-servers.html
>
> We were sure to implement very fast servers, with lots of RAM, back-ended to the fastest NAS systems available.  This is not the case with all VM providers, many of whom don't even mention on their web sites their hardware specs.  There's a huge difference between running on systems like ours with Xeon processors and RAID 10 15k SAS drives in a Fibre Channel SAN vs. some other providers running on consumer Core processors and SATA drives.
>
> Feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions either here or off-list to jmay(at)pointinspace.com.  Thanks!
>
> - John
>

> On 3/24/11 1:50 PM, John Morris wrote:
>> ok, here goes. Im about to show all my ignorance!
>>
>> When it comes to VM... I'm in the dark ages. I guess I really know
>> NOTHING about them.
>>
>> I'm use to having a real server, with all the apps installed on it,
>> and having to take control of it, to install an update, or do
>> something on it.
>>
>> Is it the same with VM's? or it is all via the terminal?
>>
>> When I think of Virtualization, I instantly think of Virtual
>> PC....... DOG SLOW, and that will explain why I've kept my eyes and
>> ears closed on the topic, till now.....
>>
>> So, any one want to show me the light?
>>
>> - John Morris
>>

>> On Mar 24, 2011, at 11:34 AM, Brian Loomis wrote:
>>
>>> I would add that we've been working with a client who is hosting
>>> their FileMaker servers on one of the new VMs that PIS provides.
>>>
>>> It's outperforming when it was on Amazon and on RackSpace.

> John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
> Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]
>
>             Twitter: http://twitter.com/pointinspace/
>           Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PointInSpace/
>
>        Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
>          on shared, virtual and hardware dedicated servers

> To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
> To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: Recommendations for Linux / Rack mount server?

Mark Levin
Why not consider purchasing used/refurbished xserves. They can be quite inexpensive and parts are readily available.

Re: Recommendations for Linux / Rack mount server?

Stephen Smiroldo-4
John,

As a customer, I want to let all on the list know that you and your
company are top notch! Your customer service ranks as the highest I've
seen ANYWHERE (not just in the hosting/Lasso world).

I'm just curious if you feel better with the price structure after a
week of explanations as well as Sean's blog post? I know you had some
major concerns.

Stephen

Stephen Smiroldo
Co-founder | Hometown Freebies
http://hometown-freebies.com

Partner @ StudioThought LLC
http://studiothought.com
PO Box 131 | Roanoke, VA 24002
540-314-7559

The Hometown Freebies goal and mission is to enable small businesses
throughout the country gain new and repeat customers without the
expensive hidden costs of other daily deal sites. With our "Featured
Deals", Hometown Freebies intends to raise the bar in business
promotion ROI and consumer value.

On Mar 24, 2011, at 2:27 PM, John May wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> - John Morris
>>

>> On Mar 24, 2011, at 11:34 AM, Brian Loomis wrote:
>>
>>> I would add that we've been working with a client who is hosting
>>> their FileMaker servers on one of the new VMs that PIS provides.
>>>
>>> It's outperforming when it was on Amazon and on RackSpace.

> John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
> Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]
>
>             Twitter: http://twitter.com/pointinspace/
>           Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PointInSpace/
>
>        Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
>          on shared, virtual and hardware dedicated servers

> To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]
> >
> To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: Recommendations for Linux / Rack mount server?

Stephen -

Thanks for the kind words!

We still do not plan to support 8.6 or 9 on our shared hosting accounts
going forward - the cost of such is just too high and demand too low.
Of course, we will certainly support the new Lasso versions on our
dedicated servers.

        - John

On 3/24/11 2:59 PM, Stephen Smiroldo wrote:

> [...]
>>> something on it.
>>>
>>> Is it the same with VM's? or it is all via the terminal?
>>>
>>> When I think of Virtualization, I instantly think of Virtual
>>> PC....... DOG SLOW, and that will explain why I've kept my eyes and
>>> ears closed on the topic, till now.....
>>>
>>> So, any one want to show me the light?
>>>
>>> - John Morris

John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]

              Twitter: http://twitter.com/pointinspace/
            Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PointInSpace/

         Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
           on shared, virtual and hardware dedicated servers

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: Recommendations for Linux / Rack mount server?

John -

Please see comments below:

On 3/24/11 2:52 PM, John Morris wrote:
> ok, so it would be just like having my server co-located somewhere.
>
> Are you limited to what OS can be on a virtual machine? Can you have
> Mac OS X? or only linux and windows.

In general, you can run any OS on a virtual machine.  To run OS X
currently requires running on Apple hardware.

We personally only currently offer OS X Server on our virtual machines.

> Are you guaranteed a CPU %? or a ram amount?

You can specify how many CPUs you want and how much RAM in your virtual
machine.  CPUs are allocated dynamically between virtual machines based
on need.  RAM is specifically allocated to each virtual machine (not
dynamically allocated).  We, of course, ensure there is always plenty of
CPU available at all times to allow machines to peak to their full spec.

> Could still tell mysql to use 1Gb of ram?

Sure thing.

> Also, if the computer dies or needs a restart, that would take down
> all VMs on that machine right?

If the hardware server running the VMs dies then, yes, that takes down
all VMs on that machine.  We keep extra hardware on-hand at all times,
and backend our VMs to SANs so that we can spin up VMs on different
hardware quickly if the hardware they're running on outright croaks.

> But  user could restart their VM with out effecting other VM' s on
> that server.

Absolutely.

> I could run a VM my special build of mysql on it, and the sphinx
> search plugin for mysql for it. Lasso could be installed. And I could
> upgrade the OS whenever I saw fit. I could ssh to it, and do anything
> I could normally do on a real server that I had full access to.
>
> Does that about sum it up?

Yeap - you would see no usability difference between a VM and a
dedicated hardware server.

        - John

> - John Morris
>
> On Mar 24, 2011, at 1:27 PM, John May wrote:
>
>> A virtual machine gives you your entire own operating system
>> instance. It looks and feels just like running on your own piece of
>> hardware, the difference being that multiple VMs can run on one
>> hardware server.
>>
>> When you speak of Virtual PC, you are referring to emulation.
>> Virtual PC translates one processors commands to another, which is
>> very inefficient.  Virtual Machines, on the other hand, run on a
>> hypervisor that doles out the hardware's resources to multiple OS
>> instances.  There is no emulation involved - these are OSen running
>> on their native processors.
>>
>> As for the speed of your VM, that is entirely dependent on what
>> type of hardware your hosting provider runs their services on.
>> This page gives a brief overview of our systems:
>>
>> http://www.pointinspace.com/os-x-virtual-dedicated-servers.html
>>
>> We were sure to implement very fast servers, with lots of RAM,
>> back-ended to the fastest NAS systems available.  This is not the
>> case with all VM providers, many of whom don't even mention on
>> their web sites their hardware specs.  There's a huge difference
>> between running on systems like ours with Xeon processors and RAID
>> 10 15k SAS drives in a Fibre Channel SAN vs. some other providers
>> running on consumer Core processors and SATA drives.
>>
>> Feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions
>> either here or off-list to jmay(at)pointinspace.com.  Thanks!
>>
>> - John
>>

>> On 3/24/11 1:50 PM, John Morris wrote:
>>> ok, here goes. Im about to show all my ignorance!
>>>
>>> When it comes to VM... I'm in the dark ages. I guess I really
>>> know NOTHING about them.
>>>
>>> I'm use to having a real server, with all the apps installed on
>>> it, and having to take control of it, to install an update, or
>>> do something on it.
>>>
>>> Is it the same with VM's? or it is all via the terminal?
>>>
>>> When I think of Virtualization, I instantly think of Virtual
>>> PC....... DOG SLOW, and that will explain why I've kept my eyes
>>> and ears closed on the topic, till now.....
>>>
>>> So, any one want to show me the light?
>>>
>>> - John Morris

And, yeap, we'll use Mac Pros if we have to - though we just put

John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]

              Twitter: http://twitter.com/pointinspace/
            Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PointInSpace/

         Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
           on shared, virtual and hardware dedicated servers

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: Recommendations for Linux / Rack mount server?

John Morris-3
Thanks a lot for all the answers.

It seems that from a user standpoint VM are just like regular computers, nothing to be afraid of.

I guess all the hard stuff gets taken care of on your side.

 - John Morris

On Mar 24, 2011, at 2:36 PM, John May wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> - John

> And, yeap, we'll use Mac Pros if we have to - though we just put

> John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
> Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]
>
>             Twitter: http://twitter.com/pointinspace/
>           Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PointInSpace/
>
>        Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
>          on shared, virtual and hardware dedicated servers

> To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
> To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>

Re: Recommendations for Linux / Rack mount server?

Sean Stephens-2

> It seems that from a user standpoint VM are just like regular computers, nothing to be afraid of.

Actually, VMs are considerably better than "regular computers".

While there is a minuscule negative performance difference between an installation on a raw server and a properly implemented VM, a VM offers significantly more benefits. This difference is completely obscured by quality hardware.

For example, VMs significantly lower the overall cost of operation of a hosting company, where a company with a good VM system can provision new server in a few minutes. In addition, VMs use significantly less electricity, lessen cooling and hardware issues, and also help standardize hardware usage (which lowers overall hosting provider cost again). This equates to less hardware downtime, less hassle in implementation, less space usage, etc. - and less cost.

We hit the "undistinguishable from magic" point with Vmotion, which enables us to move a server from one piece of hardware to another with the click of a button (total downtime of 20ms or so). Imagine you have hardware issues, or hard-drive sector failures, or the need to provision a larger machine in an emergency. One-click from your computer, not hours in the data closet. Also, with VMs, you can increase drive or memory size instantly. Scaleability is on tap, just when you need it.

Then you get into HA (High Availability) for your server needs with a tasty SAN - and the server you are on can have a complete and total hardware failure, and still see only milliseconds of downtime. Add to this some good hardware, and you can run your base OS off a thumb drive, which boots into resident memory (ESXi). You get all of your hard-drive space to use. Throw in some thin provisioning, and a single high-yield server can do some pretty serious damage to your entire network infrastructure.

After some deep soul-searching, we anticipated the impossible future of XServes and moved to VMware a number of years ago. We made our final leap off our last raw server about 6 months ago. The LassoSoft site, thus, is running from a VM. So are all of our other sites. It is imperceptible to anyone - the latency is network speed, not server speed.

In addition, when we needed to upgrade all of the memory in one machine, we moved all of the servers to another server, turned the suspect server off and upgraded it, and moved everything back - without even Pingdom noticing.

I can't say enough how obvious it is that the world of hosting is moving completely to virtualization, if it hasn't already. Let alone the average organization, who can minimize a myriad of problems through becoming hardware independent.

It's great to hear that Points in Space will be supporting new installations of 8.6 and 9.0. How exciting and appropriate! Thanks for the support, it is truly appreciated.

Sean Stephens
CEO
LassoSoft Inc.