Reading Bar Codes with Lasso

Marc Pinnell-3
I have a project in mind that I'm wondering if Lasso could help with
and can't find anything along these lines in the archives. If Lasso
can't help, does anyone have suggestions?

Project:
A folder with several thousand document scans that all have a bar
code in the upper right corner. Documents are currently named
sequentially (0001, 0002, etc). I need a way to read the bar code and
generate a new file name based on the bar code info.

TIA,

Re: Reading Bar Codes with Lasso

Bil Corry
Marc Pinnell wrote:
> I have a project in mind that I'm wondering if Lasso could help with and
> can't find anything along these lines in the archives. If Lasso can't
> help, does anyone have suggestions?

High school students :)

> Project:
> A folder with several thousand document scans that all have a bar code
> in the upper right corner. Documents are currently named sequentially
> (0001, 0002, etc). I need a way to read the bar code and generate a new
> file name based on the bar code info.

What format is the document in? PDF, JPG, GIF?  Does the bar code have the digits human-readable on the bottom of it, like a SKU?  If so, you can probably use a command-line OCR tool to pick it out (OCR meaning optical character recognition).

Re: Reading Bar Codes with Lasso

Marc Pinnell-3
The documents have not yet been created, nor have the bar coding. I
have a stack of birth certificates for a local soccer league that I
want to digitize and file. Using a scanner feeder will only give
sequential numbers (since it can't read the document). I would
manually apply the bar codes, the scan the documents. I want a script
or something to then read the bar code and rename - without interaction.

Marc

On May 22, 2006, at 10:07 PM, Bil Corry wrote:

> Marc Pinnell wrote:
>> I have a project in mind that I'm wondering if Lasso could help
>> with and can't find anything along these lines in the archives. If
>> Lasso can't help, does anyone have suggestions?
>
> High school students :)
>

>> Project:
>> A folder with several thousand document scans that all have a bar
>> code in the upper right corner. Documents are currently named
>> sequentially (0001, 0002, etc). I need a way to read the bar code
>> and generate a new file name based on the bar code info.
>
> What format is the document in? PDF, JPG, GIF?  Does the bar code
> have the digits human-readable on the bottom of it, like a SKU?  If
> so, you can probably use a command-line OCR tool to pick it out
> (OCR meaning optical character recognition).
>

> - Bil

Re: Reading Bar Codes with Lasso

Paul Melia
Marc,

I don't have a solution at hand for what you are trying to accomplish
but I did find these two links that look like they could help/solve
your challenge.

http://www.tasman.co.uk/bars/readme.html - Java app (costs)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cbar - public domain C library posted
on source forge

The functionality you seek I think would be of interest to many Lasso
developers, so I wish you good luck.

FWIW,
Paul

On May 23, 2006, at 1:11 PM, Marc Pinnell wrote:

> The documents have not yet been created, nor have the bar coding. I
> have a stack of birth certificates for a local soccer league that I
> want to digitize and file. Using a scanner feeder will only give
> sequential numbers (since it can't read the document). I would
> manually apply the bar codes, the scan the documents. I want a
> script or something to then read the bar code and rename - without
> interaction.
>
> Marc

Re: Reading Bar Codes with Lasso

Geoffrey C Kinnel
You might also want to look at bcTester
(http://www.bctester.de/en/index.htm). It claims to read barcodes from
images. Its freeware to demonstrate the capabilities of their commercial
package.

Geoff

Paul Melia wrote:

> Marc,
>
> I don't have a solution at hand for what you are trying to accomplish
> but I did find these two links that look like they could help/solve
> your challenge.
>
> http://www.tasman.co.uk/bars/readme.html - Java app (costs)
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/cbar - public domain C library posted
> on source forge
>
> The functionality you seek I think would be of interest to many Lasso
> developers, so I wish you good luck.
>
> FWIW,
> Paul
>
> On May 23, 2006, at 1:11 PM, Marc Pinnell wrote:
>
>> The documents have not yet been created, nor have the bar coding. I
>> have a stack of birth certificates for a local soccer league that I
>> want to digitize and file. Using a scanner feeder will only give
>> sequential numbers (since it can't read the document). I would
>> manually apply the bar codes, the scan the documents. I want a
>> script or something to then read the bar code and rename - without
>> interaction.
>>
>> Marc

Re: Reading Bar Codes with Lasso

Marc Pinnell-3
Thanks all for your ideas and suggestions. I finally found a product
called RVision (http://www.java4less.com/vision/vision.php?
info=intro) which is a Java solution that I think I can make work
with Lasso. It is reasonably priced, reasonable for this project
which would be a freebie for the local soccer community, at only $110.

Thanx
Marc

On May 23, 2006, at 11:26 AM, Geoffrey C Kinnel wrote:

> You might also want to look at bcTester (http://www.bctester.de/en/
> index.htm). It claims to read barcodes from images. Its freeware to
> demonstrate the capabilities of their commercial package.
>
> Geoff
>
> Paul Melia wrote:
>
>> Marc,
>>
>> I don't have a solution at hand for what you are trying to
>> accomplish  but I did find these two links that look like they
>> could help/solve  your challenge.
>>
>> http://www.tasman.co.uk/bars/readme.html - Java app (costs)
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/cbar - public domain C library
>> posted  on source forge
>>
>> The functionality you seek I think would be of interest to many
>> Lasso  developers, so I wish you good luck.
>>
>> FWIW,
>> Paul
>>
>> On May 23, 2006, at 1:11 PM, Marc Pinnell wrote:
>>
>>> The documents have not yet been created, nor have the bar coding.
>>> I  have a stack of birth certificates for a local soccer league
>>> that I  want to digitize and file. Using a scanner feeder will
>>> only give  sequential numbers (since it can't read the document).
>>> I would  manually apply the bar codes, the scan the documents. I
>>> want a  script or something to then read the bar code and rename
>>> - without  interaction.
>>>
>>> Marc

>> lassotalk.lasso?manage

Re: Reading Bar Codes with Lasso

JP-14
I think I might be late but ....

At my place of employment, we have hand held bar code scanners that
are plugged into the keyboard port.   Those scan the barcodes and
fill in a field with the letters and numbers the barcode.  No
programming is needed ...just plug it in the keyboard port (there is
a Y cable so that you can plug in the keyboard into it)

If the docs haven't been scanned into images yet ....then that hand
held scanner should do the trick.  you could have a form with a field
for the filename, then scan the barcode, followed by scanning the
document into an image and then save it  with the scanned code name.

The hand held scanners are no longer in production, but this website
has similar kinds that I'm talking about  http://www.posguys.com/
barcode-scanner_3/?src=google

jp

On May 23, 2006, at 2:25 PM, Marc Pinnell wrote:

> Thanks all for your ideas and suggestions. I finally found a
> product called RVision (http://www.java4less.com/vision/vision.php?
> info=intro) which is a Java solution that I think I can make work
> with Lasso. It is reasonably priced, reasonable for this project
> which would be a freebie for the local soccer community, at only $110.
>
> Thanx
> Marc
>

> On May 23, 2006, at 11:26 AM, Geoffrey C Kinnel wrote:
>
>> You might also want to look at bcTester (http://www.bctester.de/en/
>> index.htm). It claims to read barcodes from images. Its freeware
>> to demonstrate the capabilities of their commercial package.
>>
>> Geoff
>>
>> Paul Melia wrote:
>>
>>> Marc,
>>>
>>> I don't have a solution at hand for what you are trying to
>>> accomplish  but I did find these two links that look like they
>>> could help/solve  your challenge.
>>>
>>> http://www.tasman.co.uk/bars/readme.html - Java app (costs)
>>>
>>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/cbar - public domain C library
>>> posted  on source forge
>>>
>>> The functionality you seek I think would be of interest to many
>>> Lasso  developers, so I wish you good luck.
>>>
>>> FWIW,
>>> Paul

>>> lassotalk.lasso?manage

>> lassotalk.lasso?manage

Re: Reading Bar Codes with Lasso

Paul Melia
I use a Symbol bar code scanner to input bar code info into a field
and then a hook into Amazon to verify the validity of the bar code
and retrieve general facts - works great and very reliable with Lasso.

FWIW,
Paul