Re: Program Structure - hmmm...

Marc Pinnell-3
Marc,

Tried some experiments using JS and the redirect lasso tag. Page flow
is Product >> Add to Cart Inlines Page >> Shopping Cart. Interesting
results:

JS (window.location = "shopcartmain.lasso?-session=Session:
[$CartNum]";) redirect in Inlines Page:

Safari (Mac): Back button goes from Shopping Cart to Product Page
(correct behavior for client)
FireFox (Mac): Back button goes from Shopping Cart to Product Page
(correct behavior for client)
IE 6 (PC): Back button goes from Shopping Cart to Inlines page errors
and redirects back to the cart (NOT correct behavior)

[Redirect_URL: 'shopcartmain.lasso?-session=Session:'$CartNum']
redirect in Inlines Page:

Safari (Mac): Back button goes from Shopping Cart to Product Page
(correct behavior for client)
FireFox (Mac): Back button goes from Shopping Cart to Product Page
(correct behavior for client)
IE 6 (PC): Back button goes from Shopping Cart to Product Page
(correct behavior for client)

So maybe it isn't so much a programming problem on my end, just
another bloody M$oft IE issue to deal with. Guess I never checked it
before, bad programmer, bad (slaps back of head).

Marc

On Jun 8, 2006, at 7:36 AM, Marc Pope wrote:

> Sorrt to get in on this late, but if you have the inline -add at
> the top of
> the cart page, if someone hits the "refresh" button in the browser
> (they do
> it, trust me) then it will double add to the cart. It's much better
> practice
> IMO to add to cart on a hidden page and then use redirect_url to
> show the
> cart. This way they can both hit the back button and the refresh
> without an
> issue. The back button will not go to the hidden cart page.
>
> If you wanted the cart page to show that an action happened, just
> make the
> cart page have a action_param in it like:
>
> http://somedomain.com/shop/cart.lasso?action=add
>
> Then on the cart page, you could say the item has been added to
> their cart.
> Even if they refresh it will say that without repeating the event.
>
> Make sense? Hope so. I've been doing this for years and I've never
> had a
> complaint.
>
> HTH,
> Marc
>

> On 6/7/06 8:48 PM, "Clive Bruton" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 8 Jun 2006, at 00:34, Marc Pinnell wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, the "update cart inline page" is just an inline (with some
>>> error checking) and a js redirect.
>>
>> Ok, then I think Doug is right, you just need some logic in the page
>> that shows the cart to determine whether there is an update required
>> or not, before you show the cart. Rather than having two page steps.
>>
>> {if: I need to do an update ]
>>
>> add an item
>>
>> [/if]
>>
>> run routines to display cart
>>

>> -- Clive

Re: Program Structure - hmmm...

Doug Gentry
Yup - following this thread I like the idea of protecting against
Reloads, and using redirect_url instead of something based on JS.
Though JS activation isn't a huge issue, it still is nice to control
redirection from within Lasso.

Now from your example below I'm not sure you're going to get the
session_id passed correctly. I thought you had to manually build the
link outside of the redirect_url since a session_id tag wouldn't be
populated inside redirect_url.

I think it should be something like this:

[var: 'redir'='shopcartmain.lasso?-session=sessionname:' +
(session_id: -name='sessionname')]
[redirect_url: $redir]

...Doug

On Jun 8, 2006, at 10:23 AM, Marc Pinnell wrote:

> Marc,
>
> Tried some experiments using JS and the redirect lasso tag. Page
> flow is Product >> Add to Cart Inlines Page >> Shopping Cart.
> Interesting results:
>
> JS (window.location = "shopcartmain.lasso?-session=Session:
> [$CartNum]";) redirect in Inlines Page:
>
> Safari (Mac): Back button goes from Shopping Cart to Product Page
> (correct behavior for client)
> FireFox (Mac): Back button goes from Shopping Cart to Product Page
> (correct behavior for client)
> IE 6 (PC): Back button goes from Shopping Cart to Inlines page
> errors and redirects back to the cart (NOT correct behavior)
>
> [Redirect_URL: 'shopcartmain.lasso?-session=Session:'$CartNum']
> redirect in Inlines Page:
>
> Safari (Mac): Back button goes from Shopping Cart to Product Page
> (correct behavior for client)
> FireFox (Mac): Back button goes from Shopping Cart to Product Page
> (correct behavior for client)
> IE 6 (PC): Back button goes from Shopping Cart to Product Page
> (correct behavior for client)
>
> So maybe it isn't so much a programming problem on my end, just
> another bloody M$oft IE issue to deal with. Guess I never checked
> it before, bad programmer, bad (slaps back of head).
>
> Marc
>
> On Jun 8, 2006, at 7:36 AM, Marc Pope wrote:
>
>> Sorrt to get in on this late, but if you have the inline -add at
>> the top of
>> the cart page, if someone hits the "refresh" button in the browser
>> (they do
>> it, trust me) then it will double add to the cart. It's much
>> better practice
>> IMO to add to cart on a hidden page and then use redirect_url to
>> show the
>> cart. This way they can both hit the back button and the refresh
>> without an
>> issue. The back button will not go to the hidden cart page.
>>
>> If you wanted the cart page to show that an action happened, just
>> make the
>> cart page have a action_param in it like:
>>
>> http://somedomain.com/shop/cart.lasso?action=add
>>
>> Then on the cart page, you could say the item has been added to
>> their cart.
>> Even if they refresh it will say that without repeating the event.
>>
>> Make sense? Hope so. I've been doing this for years and I've never
>> had a
>> complaint.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Marc

>>> Ok, then I think Doug is right, you just need some logic in the page
>>> that shows the cart to determine whether there is an update required
>>> or not, before you show the cart. Rather than having two page steps.
>>>
>>> {if: I need to do an update ]
>>>
>>> add an item
>>>
>>> [/if]
>>>
>>> run routines to display cart
>>>

>>> -- Clive

Doug Gentry
Dynapolis & Southern Oregon University
p:  541-261-8501 / Toll Free: 888-490-0644

Re: Program Structure - hmmm...

Marc Pinnell-3
Session numbers seem to be tracking fine with my coding, although
your solution might make something else on one of my pages easier.

Thanx to all for your help and advice on this pain in the butt.

Marc

On Jun 8, 2006, at 10:47 AM, Doug Gentry wrote:

> [...]
>>> without an
>>> issue. The back button will not go to the hidden cart page.
>>>
>>> If you wanted the cart page to show that an action happened, just
>>> make the
>>> cart page have a action_param in it like:
>>>
>>> http://somedomain.com/shop/cart.lasso?action=add
>>>
>>> Then on the cart page, you could say the item has been added to
>>> their cart.
>>> Even if they refresh it will say that without repeating the event.
>>>
>>> Make sense? Hope so. I've been doing this for years and I've
>>> never had a
>>> complaint.
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>> Marc

>> lassotalk.lasso?manage
>

> ---
> Doug Gentry
> Dynapolis & Southern Oregon University
> p:  541-261-8501 / Toll Free: 888-490-0644

They may be OK if you are using -useauto and cookies are preserving
them. The stuff below helps if someone needs to have the session_id
follow via the link method.

...Doug

On Jun 8, 2006, at 11:09 AM, Marc Pinnell wrote:

> Session numbers seem to be tracking fine with my coding, although
> your solution might make something else on one of my pages easier.
>
> Thanx to all for your help and advice on this pain in the butt.
>
> Marc
>

> On Jun 8, 2006, at 10:47 AM, Doug Gentry wrote:
>
>> Yup - following this thread I like the idea of protecting against
>> Reloads, and using redirect_url instead of something based on JS.
>> Though JS activation isn't a huge issue, it still is nice to
>> control redirection from within Lasso.
>>
>> Now from your example below I'm not sure you're going to get the
>> session_id passed correctly. I thought you had to manually build
>> the link outside of the redirect_url since a session_id tag
>> wouldn't be populated inside redirect_url.
>>
>> I think it should be something like this:
>>
>> [var: 'redir'='shopcartmain.lasso?-session=sessionname:' +
>> (session_id: -name='sessionname')]
>> [redirect_url: $redir]
>>
>> ...Doug
>>
>> On Jun 8, 2006, at 10:23 AM, Marc Pinnell wrote:
>>
>>> Marc,
>>>
>>> Tried some experiments using JS and the redirect lasso tag. Page
>>> flow is Product >> Add to Cart Inlines Page >> Shopping Cart.
>>> Interesting results:
>>>
>>> JS (window.location = "shopcartmain.lasso?-session=Session:
>>> [$CartNum]";) redirect in Inlines Page:
>>>
>>> Safari (Mac): Back button goes from Shopping Cart to Product Page
>>> (correct behavior for client)
>>> FireFox (Mac): Back button goes from Shopping Cart to Product
>>> Page (correct behavior for client)
>>> IE 6 (PC): Back button goes from Shopping Cart to Inlines page
>>> errors and redirects back to the cart (NOT correct behavior)
>>>
>>> [Redirect_URL: 'shopcartmain.lasso?-session=Session:'$CartNum']
>>> redirect in Inlines Page:
>>>
>>> Safari (Mac): Back button goes from Shopping Cart to Product Page
>>> (correct behavior for client)
>>> FireFox (Mac): Back button goes from Shopping Cart to Product
>>> Page (correct behavior for client)
>>> IE 6 (PC): Back button goes from Shopping Cart to Product Page
>>> (correct behavior for client)
>>>
>>> So maybe it isn't so much a programming problem on my end, just
>>> another bloody M$oft IE issue to deal with. Guess I never checked
>>> it before, bad programmer, bad (slaps back of head).
>>>
>>> Marc

>>> lassotalk.lasso?manage
>>

>> ---
>> Doug Gentry
>> Dynapolis & Southern Oregon University
>> p:  541-261-8501 / Toll Free: 888-490-0644
>> [hidden email]

>> lassotalk.lasso?manage

Doug Gentry
Dynapolis & Southern Oregon University
p:  541-261-8501 / Toll Free: 888-490-0644

Re: Program Structure - hmmm...

Marc Pinnell-3
Actually, I am using the -uselink method. I have found the auto and
cookies approach way to spotty with all the security garbage in IE.

Marc