Re: [OT] Cost of domain registration

Neil Enock
Hi Greg,

If you bug Network Solutions they will give you a discount.  I pay $15
per year fro all my renewals there - on a yearly basis.

Neil

On Mar 4, 2009, at 1:20 PM, GregOconnor wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have to renew a number of .com domains and used in the past always
> 'NetworkSolutions' They seem to be very expensive and try to sell
> unwanted
> stuff.
>
> Is there a recommended registrar for .com domains somewhere, where I
> can
> transfer my domains to?
>
> Any help would be great.
>
> Greg

     Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
              ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print
             Wooden-Boxes.com: Custom Packaging Solutions

ph 403.230.3951         http://www.chromata.com         [hidden email]
fx 403.276.3564         http://www.ePrint-Network.com   [hidden email]
tf 866.430.3951         http://Wooden-boxes.com         [hidden email]

Re: [OT] Cost of domain registration

jasonhuck
We use GoDaddy. They are FAR from perfect. They have an absolutely
horrible interface and they try to upsell you 500 things on every
screen, but they are inexpensive and are, more or less, honest about
what they're doing. I've occasionally looked around at alternatives
but haven't seen anything overly compelling that made me want to
switch.

Network Solutions, on the other hand, have tried every dirty,
underhanded, unethical trick in the book to try and trick uninformed
customers into overpaying for their services. They try to scare people
into switching back to them for fear of losing their domains by
sending very official-looking, very ominously worded communications to
people warning them that they have no other choice when it couldn't be
further from the truth. And they've been involved in plenty of other
schemes too. That's really just the tip of the iceberg.

They are _completely_ despicable. No one should do business with them.
Run away and don't look back.

- jason

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Neil Enock <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>
> If you bug Network Solutions they will give you a discount.  I pay $15 per
> year fro all my renewals there - on a yearly basis.
>
> Neil
>
> On Mar 4, 2009, at 1:20 PM, GregOconnor wrote:
>

>> Hello.
>>
>> I have to renew a number of .com domains and used in the past always
>> 'NetworkSolutions' They seem to be very expensive and try to sell unwanted
>> stuff.
>>
>> Is there a recommended registrar for .com domains somewhere, where I can
>> transfer my domains to?
>>
>> Any help would be great.
>>
>> Greg

>    Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
>             ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print
>            Wooden-Boxes.com: Custom Packaging Solutions
>
> ph 403.230.3951         http://www.chromata.com         [hidden email]
> fx 403.276.3564         http://www.ePrint-Network.com
> [hidden email]
> tf 866.430.3951         http://Wooden-boxes.com

tagSwap.net :: Open Source Lasso Code
<http://tagSwap.net/>

Re: [OT] Cost of domain registration

Brad Lindsay-2
I know people who use and love pairnic
https://www.pairnic.com/

Their prices are more expensive then GoDaddy's, but they seem
reasonable.  Plus, it looks like it includes things like email privacy
which are add ons for GoDaddy.

-Brad

On Mar 4, 2009, at 3:37 PM, Jason Huck wrote:

> We use GoDaddy. They are FAR from perfect. They have an absolutely
> horrible interface and they try to upsell you 500 things on every
> screen, but they are inexpensive and are, more or less, honest about
> what they're doing. I've occasionally looked around at alternatives
> but haven't seen anything overly compelling that made me want to
> switch.
>
> Network Solutions, on the other hand, have tried every dirty,
> underhanded, unethical trick in the book to try and trick uninformed
> customers into overpaying for their services. They try to scare people
> into switching back to them for fear of losing their domains by
> sending very official-looking, very ominously worded communications to
> people warning them that they have no other choice when it couldn't be
> further from the truth. And they've been involved in plenty of other
> schemes too. That's really just the tip of the iceberg.
>
> They are _completely_ despicable. No one should do business with them.
> Run away and don't look back.
>
> - jason
>

> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Neil Enock <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Greg,
>>
>> If you bug Network Solutions they will give you a discount.  I pay
>> $15 per
>> year fro all my renewals there - on a yearly basis.
>>
>> Neil
>>
>> On Mar 4, 2009, at 1:20 PM, GregOconnor wrote:
>>

>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I have to renew a number of .com domains and used in the past always
>>> 'NetworkSolutions' They seem to be very expensive and try to sell
>>> unwanted
>>> stuff.
>>>
>>> Is there a recommended registrar for .com domains somewhere, where
>>> I can
>>> transfer my domains to?
>>>
>>> Any help would be great.
>>>
>>> Greg
>>> --
>>>

>>> --
>>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

>>    Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
>>             ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print
>>            Wooden-Boxes.com: Custom Packaging Solutions
>>
>> ph 403.230.3951         http://www.chromata.com         [hidden email]
>> fx 403.276.3564         http://www.ePrint-Network.com
>> [hidden email]
>> tf 866.430.3951         http://Wooden-boxes.com
>> [hidden email]

> tagSwap.net :: Open Source Lasso Code
> <http://tagSwap.net/>

Re: [OT] Cost of domain registration

Kerry Adams-2
So what are you saying, Jason?

-Kerry

Jason Huck wrote:

> They are _completely_ despicable. No one should do business with them.
> Run away and don't look back.
>
> - jason
>

> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Neil Enock <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Greg,
>>
>> If you bug Network Solutions they will give you a discount.  I pay $15 per
>> year fro all my renewals there - on a yearly basis.
>>
>> Neil
>>
>> On Mar 4, 2009, at 1:20 PM, GregOconnor wrote:
>>

>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I have to renew a number of .com domains and used in the past always
>>> 'NetworkSolutions' They seem to be very expensive and try to sell unwanted
>>> stuff.
>>>
>>> Is there a recommended registrar for .com domains somewhere, where I can
>>> transfer my domains to?
>>>
>>> Any help would be great.
>>>
>>> Greg
>>> --
>>>

>>> --
>>> This list is a free service of LassoSoft: http://www.LassoSoft.com/

>>    Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
>>             ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print
>>            Wooden-Boxes.com: Custom Packaging Solutions
>>
>> ph 403.230.3951         http://www.chromata.com         [hidden email]
>> fx 403.276.3564         http://www.ePrint-Network.com
>> [hidden email]
>> tf 866.430.3951         http://Wooden-boxes.com
>> [hidden email]

Re: [OT] Cost of domain registration

maxwellk2
I've been using Register.com for a number of years. Their service has
been excellent, but they're also very expensive compare to GoDaddy and
I'm going to switch when its time to renew. I have a number of clients
who use GoDaddy and their control panel interface is visually
overwhelming compared to Register, which is clean and efficient....

....so ditto what Jason had to say. I'd recommend GoDaddy.

On Mar 4, 2009, at 12:20 PM, GregOconnor wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have to renew a number of .com domains and used in the past always
> 'NetworkSolutions' They seem to be very expensive and try to sell
> unwanted
> stuff.
>
> Is there a recommended registrar for .com domains somewhere, where I
> can
> transfer my domains to?
>
> Any help would be great.
>
> Greg

Re: [OT] Cost of domain registration

N Lamb
Greg,

We use BulkRegister.com (which is now part of the eNom family)

The nice thing about using them is you can make bulk changes to any
number of your domains at one time.  We manage quite a few domains to
this is a very nice feature.

The catch is you have to pay an annual membership fee of $99

The domains then cost $12.95 per year.

In then end for us it works out to be a good deal especially with the
tools they have to make bulk changes to domains.  (they also provide a
"folder" system to put domains into groups and other tools and
downloadable reports for managing multiple domains)  http://www.bulkregister.com/domains/default.asp

We have been using them for a few years and I have been very pleased.

HTH!

Nathan Lamb
EPC ~ Web Developer

On Mar 4, 2009, at 3:20 PM, GregOconnor wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have to renew a number of .com domains and used in the past always
> 'NetworkSolutions' They seem to be very expensive and try to sell
> unwanted
> stuff.
>
> Is there a recommended registrar for .com domains somewhere, where I
> can
> transfer my domains to?
>
> Any help would be great.
>
> Greg

Re: [OT] Cost of domain registration

Doug Gentry-3
I use gkg.net, which I believe is a reselling front end to the GoDaddy
registration engine. I don't care one way or the other about the busy-
ness of the layout, but it is simple to register, costs are $7-8 a
year, and service has been good the one or two times I've needed
it.    I still cringe every time I have to return to netsol to handle
an old domain that hasn't been transferred.

....Doug

On Mar 4, 2009, at 12:46 PM, Maxwell Klein wrote:

> I've been using Register.com for a number of years. Their service
> has been excellent, but they're also very expensive compare to
> GoDaddy and I'm going to switch when its time to renew. I have a
> number of clients who use GoDaddy and their control panel interface
> is visually overwhelming compared to Register, which is clean and
> efficient....
>
> ....so ditto what Jason had to say. I'd recommend GoDaddy.
>

> On Mar 4, 2009, at 12:20 PM, GregOconnor wrote:
>

>> Hello.
>>
>> I have to renew a number of .com domains and used in the past always
>> 'NetworkSolutions' They seem to be very expensive and try to sell
>> unwanted
>> stuff.
>>
>> Is there a recommended registrar for .com domains somewhere, where
>> I can
>> transfer my domains to?
>>
>> Any help would be great.
>>
>> Greg

Doug Gentry
Dynapolis & Southern Oregon University
p:  541-261-8501 / Toll Free: 866-890-6013
[hidden email]
www.dynapolis.com - blog: www.plain-sense.com

Re: [OT] Cost of domain registration

Kerry Adams-2
Personally, I use GoDaddy and haven't had any issues worth complaining
about.  I like that fact that I can setup a credit card on file with
them for automagic renewals without fear of "losing" a domain name.

Like others have mentioned, their interface is hideous and they try and
offer everything including the kitchen sink when you buy and/or renew,
but they're also quite cheap so it's acceptable, IMO.

-Kerry

GregOconnor wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have to renew a number of .com domains and used in the past always
> 'NetworkSolutions' They seem to be very expensive and try to sell unwanted
> stuff.
>
> Is there a recommended registrar for .com domains somewhere, where I can
> transfer my domains to?
>
> Any help would be great.
>
> Greg

Re: [OT] Cost of domain registration

dguardiola
My registrar GANDI.net charge 15$ too (excluding VAT) but you've got
an SSL certificate free for one year + 5 pop/imap mail with webmail ,
unlimited mail redirections and a very polite tech support.

Re: [OT] Cost of domain registration

Marc Pope
If you want the same Network Solutions quality, try SRSPlus.com. It's
great for people who manage many domains. SRSPlus is just a "shell"
company for web people and hosting providers. The cost is much lower,
like $8.45 per year.

I manage over 500 domains in their system. They also have an API so
you can communicate with your back-end systems to register domains
from your website or app.

Also, you can classify domains by your customer, so you can see all
the domains for customer "X".

-Marc

Re: [OT] Cost of domain registration

GregOconnor
Thanks a lot for the overwhelming feedback.

I will contact Networksolutions and the mentioned competitors and discuss a better deal.

Cheers
Greg

Neil Enock wrote
Hi Greg,

If you bug Network Solutions they will give you a discount.  I pay $15
per year fro all my renewals there - on a yearly basis.

Neil

On Mar 4, 2009, at 1:20 PM, GregOconnor wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have to renew a number of .com domains and used in the past always
> 'NetworkSolutions' They seem to be very expensive and try to sell
> unwanted
> stuff.
>
> Is there a recommended registrar for .com domains somewhere, where I
> can
> transfer my domains to?
>
> Any help would be great.
>
> Greg

     Chromata: Custom B2C, B2B Website Design, Hosting & Marketing
              ePrint-Network: i-t-p:  internet to Print
             Wooden-Boxes.com: Custom Packaging Solutions

ph 403.230.3951         http://www.chromata.com         neil@chromata.com
fx 403.276.3564         http://www.ePrint-Network.com   neil@ePrint-network.com
tf 866.430.3951         http://Wooden-boxes.com         neil@wooden-boxes.com

Re: [OT] Cost of domain registration

In addition to the information already presented:
* Google "godaddy promo code".  You can easily get 10-20% off orders.
* GD transfers are $6.99.
* Private registration at GD = $8.99, at SRS = $5.
* The GD interface is horrible only when making a purchase, but all you have to do is hit the END key on your keyboard to find the NO THANKS button at the bottom of each screen during the checkout process.  Otherwise the domain management interface is pretty slick, including folders/groups of domains that allow you to perform bulk actions.
* SRS is a NetSol company.
* GD has telephone support 24/7.
* GD provides excellent guides on how to transfer a domain name, which I have found to be very useful when trying to explain the process to my clients.  It gots pitchers!
* NetSol is the hangnail on your pointer finger.  NetSol is the mosquito in your tent.  NetSol is the slow leak in your waterbed.  NetSol is the new Knight Rider.  NetSol is the chewing gum on your backrest.

--steve

On Wednesday, March 4, 2009, [hidden email] (GregOconnor) pronounced:

>Hello.
>
>I have to renew a number of .com domains and used in the past always
>'NetworkSolutions' They seem to be very expensive and try to sell unwanted
>stuff.
>
>Is there a recommended registrar for .com domains somewhere, where I can
>transfer my domains to?
>
>Any help would be great.
>
>Greg

Re: [OT] Cost of domain registration

John May-2
Heh - the new Knight Rider!  I made it about 2.5 minutes through the
pilot...

BTW, we've had pretty good luck with www.enom.com

        - John

Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:

> In addition to the information already presented: * Google "godaddy
> promo code".  You can easily get 10-20% off orders. * GD transfers
> are $6.99. * Private registration at GD = $8.99, at SRS = $5. * The
> GD interface is horrible only when making a purchase, but all you
> have to do is hit the END key on your keyboard to find the NO THANKS
> button at the bottom of each screen during the checkout process.
> Otherwise the domain management interface is pretty slick, including
> folders/groups of domains that allow you to perform bulk actions. *
> SRS is a NetSol company. * GD has telephone support 24/7. * GD
> provides excellent guides on how to transfer a domain name, which I
> have found to be very useful when trying to explain the process to my
> clients.  It gots pitchers! * NetSol is the hangnail on your pointer
> finger.  NetSol is the mosquito in your tent.  NetSol is the slow
> leak in your waterbed.  NetSol is the new Knight Rider.  NetSol is
> the chewing gum on your backrest.
>
> --steve
>

> On Wednesday, March 4, 2009, [hidden email] (GregOconnor)
> pronounced:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> I have to renew a number of .com domains and used in the past
>> always 'NetworkSolutions' They seem to be very expensive and try to
>> sell unwanted stuff.
>>
>> Is there a recommended registrar for .com domains somewhere, where
>> I can transfer my domains to?
>>
>> Any help would be great.
>>
>> Greg

John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
Point In Space Internet Solutions             [hidden email]

        Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
              * FileMaker Pro 10 Hosting Now Available *

Re: [OT] Cost of domain registration

Eric Landmann
Jason Huck <[hidden email]> wrote on Wednesday, March 4, 2009:

>Network Solutions, on the other hand, have tried every dirty,
>underhanded, unethical trick in the book to try and trick uninformed
>customers into overpaying for their services. They try to scare people
>into switching back to them for fear of losing their domains by
>sending very official-looking, very ominously worded communications to
>people warning them that they have no other choice when it couldn't be
>further from the truth. And they've been involved in plenty of other
>schemes too. That's really just the tip of the iceberg.
>
>They are _completely_ despicable. No one should do business with them.
>Run away and don't look back.

Hear hear. We use Godaddy for all our registrations now. They also have a Discount Domain Club if you buy lots of domains that allows you to get the pricing under $7.50/domain. You just have to wade through all that interface junk, but once you know where to go, it's easy.

Also, a big plus I should mention is their DNS manager, if you know how to handle DNS records there is an "Advanced Mode" that lets you key in the records directly.

--Eric

Re: [OT] Cost of domain registration

Jim VH-2
For anyone that's interested, we opted to become a reseller of GoDaddy
because of how many domains we now handle. It can be found at www.domainsbyheunox.com
. We basically let GoDaddy set our pricing. I think that means we make
about 50 cents per domain. For us it wasn't about making money at it.
It was more of a one-stop source for our clients to do business.

Of course if any of you want to support one of your fellow Lassoer's,
I'd be happy to take your 50 cents.

---
Jim Van Heule
Heunox Corporation

Dominique Guardiola wrote on 3/4/2009 2:56 PM:
> My registrar GANDI.net charge 15$ too (excluding VAT)

I use Gandi.net as well, based on your recommendation, and have been happy with them.

Re: [OT] Cost of domain registration

Doug Noble
I manage several hundred domains and I pay $9.25 a year at Bulk Register.
I've also used Moniker.com, they have a crappy user interface but are a
little cheaper, maybe $8.75 with no annual fee. And at the time they carried
some foreign domains that Bulk Register did not offer. I've used Namebay for
.FR  (France) domains and would be interested in an alternative.

--
Doug Noble
ADWEB Services Inc.

on 3/4/09 3:48 PM, N Lamb at [hidden email] wrote:

> Greg,
>
> We use BulkRegister.com (which is now part of the eNom family)
>
> The nice thing about using them is you can make bulk changes to any
> number of your domains at one time.  We manage quite a few domains to
> this is a very nice feature.
>
> The catch is you have to pay an annual membership fee of $99
>
> The domains then cost $12.95 per year.
>
> In then end for us it works out to be a good deal especially with the
> tools they have to make bulk changes to domains.  (they also provide a
> "folder" system to put domains into groups and other tools and
> downloadable reports for managing multiple domains)
> http://www.bulkregister.com/domains/default.asp
>
> We have been using them for a few years and I have been very pleased.
>

> HTH!
>
> Nathan Lamb
> EPC ~ Web Developer
>

> On Mar 4, 2009, at 3:20 PM, GregOconnor wrote:
>

>> Hello.
>>
>> I have to renew a number of .com domains and used in the past always
>> 'NetworkSolutions' They seem to be very expensive and try to sell
>> unwanted
>> stuff.
>>
>> Is there a recommended registrar for .com domains somewhere, where I
>> can
>> transfer my domains to?
>>
>> Any help would be great.
>>
>> Greg

Re: [OT] Cost of domain registration

Bil Corry-3
Doug Noble wrote on 3/4/2009 5:11 PM:
> I've used Namebay for .FR  (France) domains and would be interested
> in an alternative.

Gandi.net -- they're a French registrar.

Re: [OT] Cost of domain registration

Danny Grizzle
I have used Dotster for years. They offered the first web based
management I saw back when Network Solutions domain management was
email based.

One complaint I have against Dotster, but common practice in the
registrar business, is use of my customer contact info for their own
marketing, for services which are often in competition with my own
business. This confuses customers and creates bad blood with clients.

GoDaddy has a product which will turn anyone into a private label
registrar. Maybe that's what I need to do. But it is not cheap, in
time or money (there is an annual fee, I believe).

Danny Grizzle

Le 5 mars 09 à 00:00, Bil Corry a écrit :

> Dominique Guardiola wrote on 3/4/2009 2:56 PM:
>> My registrar GANDI.net charge 15$ too (excluding VAT)
>
> I use Gandi.net as well, based on your recommendation, and have been
> happy with them.

glad to here that Bil, I suppose their english team is as efficient as
the french one
forgot to mention it, but i probably said it once here, they also have
an XML-RPC API to manage and update the domains

never had the time to play with it, but i host only 30 domains there,
so I still use my hands to do this (good web interface too, well, no
folders yet...)

--
Dominique Guardiola, QUINODE
http://www.quinode.fr/