Re: MySQL - Data too long for column...

Justin Dennis
Hello -

How did you export your file for import? I use the following
mysqldump command in 5.0.x:

mysqldump -u [USER] -p[PASS] --single-transaction --skip-lock-tables
--flush-logs --create-options --databases [DB_NAME] >>
[YOUR_IMPORT_FILE_NAME].sql

I have many ugly escaped strings that database, and it imports
flawlessly with:

mysql -u [USER] -p[PASS] < [YOUR_IMPORT_FILE_NAME].sql

I'm not familiar with the error you're receiving. I have seen a
"packet too large" error, which required setting the
MAX_ALLOWED_PACKET MySQL variable to something larger than default,
but this was only with a huge BLOB field.

Good luck.

- Justin

On Feb 16, 2007, at 2:34 PM, Jason Huck wrote:

> Moving a database from MySQL 4.0.x to 5.0.x. On import, I get 4
> messages that say "Data too long for column 'x'."
>
> I can't tell for sure exactly which lines they are, because MySQL only
> reports the query number and not the actual line number of the file. I
> know that the column definitions have changed between those versions,
> but when I dump a copy of a similar database from 5 and compare the
> table definitions, they are the same.
>
> One is a varchar(255) and the other is a text column. I have tried
> changing them to varchar(500) and mediumtext, but I get the same
> errors, so I suspect there's some other problem that's causing MySQL
> to read 2 or 3 INSERT's as a single statement.
>
> In the past, I've seen MySQL choke on things like web addresses,
> because it interprets the // in http:// as a comment, but I've
> replaced all // with \/\/ and all -- with \-\-. Still no luck.
>
> Wondering what else to look for.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

Re: MySQL - Data too long for column...

stevepiercy
Which version of MySQL 5.0.x?  From the MySQL 5.0 reference manual:

Values in VARCHAR columns are variable-length strings. The length can be specified as a value from 0
to 255 before MySQL 5.0.3, and 0 to 65,535 in 5.0.3 and later versions. (The maximum effective length
of a VARCHAR in MySQL 5.0.3 and later is determined by the maximum row size and the character set
used. The maximum column length is subject to a row size of 65,532 bytes.)

Note that the charset might be an issue if you use a double-byte charset.

Also Navicat is pretty good at isolating the specific insert record statement that fails.  Which tool are you using to migrate data?

--steve

On Friday, February 16, 2007, [hidden email] (Jason Huck) pronounced:

>Moving a database from MySQL 4.0.x to 5.0.x. On import, I get 4
>messages that say "Data too long for column 'x'."
>
>I can't tell for sure exactly which lines they are, because MySQL only
>reports the query number and not the actual line number of the file. I
>know that the column definitions have changed between those versions,
>but when I dump a copy of a similar database from 5 and compare the
>table definitions, they are the same.
>
>One is a varchar(255) and the other is a text column. I have tried
>changing them to varchar(500) and mediumtext, but I get the same
>errors, so I suspect there's some other problem that's causing MySQL
>to read 2 or 3 INSERT's as a single statement.
>
>In the past, I've seen MySQL choke on things like web addresses,
>because it interprets the // in http:// as a comment, but I've
>replaced all // with \/\/ and all -- with \-\-. Still no luck.
>
>Wondering what else to look for.
>
>Thanks,
>Jason

<[hidden email]>                   <http://www.StevePiercy.com>

Re: MySQL - Data too long for column...

jasonhuck
I was using CocoaMySQL (the latest SBG version) and it was isolating
the bad inserts, but I couldn't see anything in them that should cause
a problem.

In the end I grabbed a 30-day trial of NaviCat and it of course did it
flawlessly on the first try. So I bought a license.

- jason

On 2/16/07, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Which version of MySQL 5.0.x?  From the MySQL 5.0 reference manual:
>
> Values in VARCHAR columns are variable-length strings. The length can be specified as a value from 0
> to 255 before MySQL 5.0.3, and 0 to 65,535 in 5.0.3 and later versions. (The maximum effective length
> of a VARCHAR in MySQL 5.0.3 and later is determined by the maximum row size and the character set
> used. The maximum column length is subject to a row size of 65,532 bytes.)
>
> Note that the charset might be an issue if you use a double-byte charset.
>
> Also Navicat is pretty good at isolating the specific insert record statement that fails.  Which tool are you using to migrate data?
>
> --steve
>

> On Friday, February 16, 2007, [hidden email] (Jason Huck) pronounced:
>
> >Moving a database from MySQL 4.0.x to 5.0.x. On import, I get 4
> >messages that say "Data too long for column 'x'."
> >
> >I can't tell for sure exactly which lines they are, because MySQL only
> >reports the query number and not the actual line number of the file. I
> >know that the column definitions have changed between those versions,
> >but when I dump a copy of a similar database from 5 and compare the
> >table definitions, they are the same.
> >
> >One is a varchar(255) and the other is a text column. I have tried
> >changing them to varchar(500) and mediumtext, but I get the same
> >errors, so I suspect there's some other problem that's causing MySQL
> >to read 2 or 3 INSERT's as a single statement.
> >
> >In the past, I've seen MySQL choke on things like web addresses,
> >because it interprets the // in http:// as a comment, but I've
> >replaced all // with \/\/ and all -- with \-\-. Still no luck.
> >
> >Wondering what else to look for.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Jason
> >

> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
> <[hidden email]>                   <http://www.StevePiercy.com>

Find and Share Free Lasso Custom Tags at tagSwap.net!
Download hundreds of open source Lasso custom tags, and post your own
for others to use. RSS feeds track the newest and most popular tags.
http://tagSwap.net/

Re: MySQL - Data too long for column...

Viaduct Productions
Ouch, another Navicat supporter.  CocoaMySQL puts the ^ where it
finds the problem.

On Feb 16, 2007, at 5:33 PM, Jason Huck wrote:

> I was using CocoaMySQL (the latest SBG version) and it was isolating
> the bad inserts, but I couldn't see anything in them that should cause
> a problem.
>
> In the end I grabbed a 30-day trial of NaviCat and it of course did it
> flawlessly on the first try. So I bought a license.

Rich in Toronto

Re: MySQL - Data too long for column...

Alex Pilson-2
At 5:37 PM -0500 2/16/07, Rich wrote:
>Ouch, another Navicat supporter.  CocoaMySQL puts the ^ where it
>finds the problem.

Navicat blows anything out of the water I have ever used. Though I do
admit, I use Cocoa for quick down and dirty things. But the transfer
tools in NaviCat are stellar.

--
<------------------------------------------------------------------------------>
     Alex Pilson          FlagShip Hosting, LLC

Re: MySQL - Data too long for column...

You get what you pay for.  ;)

--steve

On Friday, February 16, 2007, [hidden email] (Jason Huck) pronounced:

>I was using CocoaMySQL (the latest SBG version) and it was isolating
>the bad inserts, but I couldn't see anything in them that should cause
>a problem.
>
>In the end I grabbed a 30-day trial of NaviCat and it of course did it
>flawlessly on the first try. So I bought a license.
>
>- jason
>

>On 2/16/07, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Which version of MySQL 5.0.x?  From the MySQL 5.0 reference manual:
>>
>> Values in VARCHAR columns are variable-length strings. The length can be specified as
>a value from 0
>> to 255 before MySQL 5.0.3, and 0 to 65,535 in 5.0.3 and later versions. (The maximum
>effective length
>> of a VARCHAR in MySQL 5.0.3 and later is determined by the maximum row size and the
>character set
>> used. The maximum column length is subject to a row size of 65,532 bytes.)
>>
>> Note that the charset might be an issue if you use a double-byte charset.
>>
>> Also Navicat is pretty good at isolating the specific insert record statement that
>fails.  Which tool are you using to migrate data?
>>
>> --steve
>>

>> On Friday, February 16, 2007, [hidden email] (Jason Huck) pronounced:
>>
>> >Moving a database from MySQL 4.0.x to 5.0.x. On import, I get 4
>> >messages that say "Data too long for column 'x'."
>> >
>> >I can't tell for sure exactly which lines they are, because MySQL only
>> >reports the query number and not the actual line number of the file. I
>> >know that the column definitions have changed between those versions,
>> >but when I dump a copy of a similar database from 5 and compare the
>> >table definitions, they are the same.
>> >
>> >One is a varchar(255) and the other is a text column. I have tried
>> >changing them to varchar(500) and mediumtext, but I get the same
>> >errors, so I suspect there's some other problem that's causing MySQL
>> >to read 2 or 3 INSERT's as a single statement.
>> >
>> >In the past, I've seen MySQL choke on things like web addresses,
>> >because it interprets the // in http:// as a comment, but I've
>> >replaced all // with \/\/ and all -- with \-\-. Still no luck.
>> >
>> >Wondering what else to look for.
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >Jason
>> >

>> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
>> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
>> <[hidden email]>                   <http://www.StevePiercy.com>

<[hidden email]>                   <http://www.StevePiercy.com>

Re: MySQL - Data too long for column...

Robert Carpenter
> Navicat blows anything out of the water I have ever used. Though I do
> admit, I use Cocoa for quick down and dirty things. But the transfer
> tools in NaviCat are stellar.

Same here - Navicat is a great app, powerful and complete. But I hate the
UI, it wants to spawn a new window every time you look at it, has some very
"un-mac-like" features, etc.

CocoaMySQL, on the other hand, certainly has it's deficiencies, but for
quick and dirty manipulation of data, it's great.

Re: MySQL - Data too long for column...

Nikolaj de Fine Licht
On 16. feb 2007, at 23:44, Alex Pilson wrote:

> But the transfer tools in NaviCat are stellar.

I don't quite agree but then again: it could be me doing something
wrong. I have seen Navicat making really stupid things when using the
syncronise tools, I for example never use the syncronise structure
tool because it plain doesn't syncronise to the same structure as the
original.

I also find Navicat's graphical user interface, some of its
interaction-feedbacks etc., lacking the quality or feel that
characterizes a "real" Cocoa application, on Mac it does look like
what it probably is: an adaption of a Windows-application. It quits
unexpectedly quite frequently as well...

Having said that I admit I use it all the time and find it an overall
good experience.

/nikolaj

_____________________________________
Nikolaj de Fine Licht  •  Music&Media
Web Solutions for Cultural Businesses
http://www.musicmedia.dk

Re: MySQL - Data too long for column...

stevepiercy
On Saturday, February 17, 2007, [hidden email] (Nikolaj de Fine Licht) pronounced:

>On 16. feb 2007, at 23:44, Alex Pilson wrote:
>
>> But the transfer tools in NaviCat are stellar.
>
>I don't quite agree but then again: it could be me doing something
>wrong. I have seen Navicat making really stupid things when using the
>syncronise tools, I for example never use the syncronise structure
>tool because it plain doesn't syncronise to the same structure as the
>original.
>
>I also find Navicat's graphical user interface, some of its
>interaction-feedbacks etc., lacking the quality or feel that
>characterizes a "real" Cocoa application, on Mac it does look like
>what it probably is: an adaption of a Windows-application. It quits
>unexpectedly quite frequently as well...
>
>Having said that I admit I use it all the time and find it an overall
>good experience.

Make sure you update Navicat.  They rarely send out announcements, and it does not check for update automatically.  Updating through their site is a PITA, but it's the only way.  You might also need to upgrade if you are using an older version.

Transfer is different from Synch.  Transfer is usually a one-way "move" operation, whereas Synch is a one- or bi-directional "copy with intelligence" operation.  With Synch, you must know how you want to synch between source and target.  Use the Preview or Quick Preview prior to performing the actual Synch to ensure you have properly described how you want Navicat to Synch, thus avoiding the stupidity you perceive in Navicat.

After reading people's experiences with CocoaMySQL destroying data, I have to wonder why anyone would use it.  Personally I found it unreliable and too crash-a-rific to be usable.  Free software always has a price.

If you refuse to pay for commercial software that works, try a "free educational/personal" license for Aqua Data Studio, software that works:
<http://aquafold.com/downloads-advanced.html>

<[hidden email]>                   <http://www.StevePiercy.com>

Re: MySQL - Data too long for column...

jasonhuck
The new version of ADS no longer has a free license option, and
they've made it much clunkier to boot.

It really sucks because the options for connecting to MS SQL on the
Mac are few and far between, and the previous version of ADS was
actually fairly decent.

JLH

On 2/16/07, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Saturday, February 17, 2007, [hidden email] (Nikolaj de Fine Licht) pronounced:
>
> >On 16. feb 2007, at 23:44, Alex Pilson wrote:
> >
> >> But the transfer tools in NaviCat are stellar.
> >
> >I don't quite agree but then again: it could be me doing something
> >wrong. I have seen Navicat making really stupid things when using the
> >syncronise tools, I for example never use the syncronise structure
> >tool because it plain doesn't syncronise to the same structure as the
> >original.
> >
> >I also find Navicat's graphical user interface, some of its
> >interaction-feedbacks etc., lacking the quality or feel that
> >characterizes a "real" Cocoa application, on Mac it does look like
> >what it probably is: an adaption of a Windows-application. It quits
> >unexpectedly quite frequently as well...
> >
> >Having said that I admit I use it all the time and find it an overall
> >good experience.
>
> Make sure you update Navicat.  They rarely send out announcements, and it does not check for update automatically.  Updating through their site is a PITA, but it's the only way.  You might also need to upgrade if you are using an older version.
>
> Transfer is different from Synch.  Transfer is usually a one-way "move" operation, whereas Synch is a one- or bi-directional "copy with intelligence" operation.  With Synch, you must know how you want to synch between source and target.  Use the Preview or Quick Preview prior to performing the actual Synch to ensure you have properly described how you want Navicat to Synch, thus avoiding the stupidity you perceive in Navicat.
>
> After reading people's experiences with CocoaMySQL destroying data, I have to wonder why anyone would use it.  Personally I found it unreliable and too crash-a-rific to be usable.  Free software always has a price.
>
> If you refuse to pay for commercial software that works, try a "free educational/personal" license for Aqua Data Studio, software that works:
> <http://aquafold.com/downloads-advanced.html>
>
> --steve
> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
> Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder               Soquel, CA
> <[hidden email]>                   <http://www.StevePiercy.com>

Find and Share Free Lasso Custom Tags at tagSwap.net!
Download hundreds of open source Lasso custom tags, and post your own
for others to use. RSS feeds track the newest and most popular tags.
http://tagSwap.net/

Re: MySQL - Data too long for column...

Viaduct Productions
Functionality / $0 = infinity.

On Feb 16, 2007, at 5:45 PM, Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder wrote:

> You get what you pay for.  ;)

Rich in Toronto

Re: MySQL - Data too long for column...

On Friday, February 16, 2007, [hidden email] (Jason Huck) pronounced:

>The new version of ADS no longer has a free license option, and
>they've made it much clunkier to boot.
>
>It really sucks because the options for connecting to MS SQL on the
>Mac are few and far between, and the previous version of ADS was
>actually fairly decent.

Yup, they changed the licensing scheme for v6+.

ADS 4.7.2 and earlier versions are still available for download, but they no longer support it.  I'm still getting "personally educated".  ;)

<http://aquafold.com/downloads-advanced.html>

<[hidden email]>                   <http://www.StevePiercy.com>

Re: MySQL - Data too long for column...

On Friday, February 16, 2007, [hidden email] (Rich) pronounced:

>Functionality / $0 = infinity.

bzzt!

= undefined.

<http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.divideby0.html>

I think you meant to say:

Functionality - (Crashing + Data Corruption) = $0

Although in my experience, it yielded a negative result.

<[hidden email]>                   <http://www.StevePiercy.com>

Re: MySQL - Data too long for column...

Brian K. Middendorf
>> Functionality / $0 = infinity.
>
> bzzt!
>
> = undefined.
>
> <http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.divideby0.html>

Hmmm.  I took a quick glance and didn't see one of the reasons/
examples that I was taught to explain why division by zero is
undefined:  If division by zero were allowed, then numbers would no
longer equal themselves.

a=1
b=1
a=b
a^2=ab
a^2 - b^2 = ab - b^2
(a - b)(a + b) = b(a - b)
a + b = b
a = 0

-brian.

Re: MySQL - Data too long for column...

stevepiercy
On Friday, February 16, 2007, [hidden email] (Brian K. Middendorf) pronounced:

>>> Functionality / $0 = infinity.
>>
>> bzzt!
>>
>> = undefined.
>>
>> <http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.divideby0.html>
>
>Hmmm.  I took a quick glance and didn't see one of the reasons/
>examples that I was taught to explain why division by zero is
>undefined:  If division by zero were allowed, then numbers would no
>longer equal themselves.
>
>a=1
>b=1
>a=b
>a^2=ab
>a^2 - b^2 = ab - b^2
>(a - b)(a + b) = b(a - b)
>a + b = b
>a = 0

You mean like this example?
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divide_by_zero#Fallacies_based_on_division_by_zero>

The above is a faulty sequence of logic under algebraic rules.  You need to clarify as follows:
a=1
b=1
a=b, where a=1 and b=1
a^2=ab, where a=1 and b=1
a^2 - b^2 = ab - b^2, where a=1 and b=1
(a - b)(a + b) = b(a - b), where a=1 and b=1
a + b = b [You cannot do this, because you would divide by zero (1 - 1) to reach this step.]

The proper way to solve for the equation without assigning values to a and b:
(a - b)(a + b) = b(a - b)
(a - b)(a + b)/(a - b) = b(a - b)/(a - b), where a!=b
(a + b) = b
(a + b) - b = b - b
a = 0

Solving for b:
(a + b) = b
0 + b = b

b is a member of Real or imaginary numbers.

Bring it on, suckahs!

--steve, Bachelors in Mathematics
<[hidden email]>                   <http://www.StevePiercy.com>

Re: MySQL - Data too long for column...

Brian K. Middendorf
> You mean like this example?
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
> Divide_by_zero#Fallacies_based_on_division_by_zero>

That's it.

-brian.

FM Tab Control & Lasso Update

Henning Jakobsen

Running: MacPro/10.4Server/Apache/FMSA8/LP8.5:

I am experiencing the following behaviour:

    I am able to pull data out from different fields spread around
    in different Tab-objects in the same FileMaker layout...

    But:

    When doing an UPDATE from Lasso in a webpage I am not able to
    write back to fields other than the left-most (primary) Tab
    in a FileMaker layout using FM's Tab Control

Is this to expect - or is there a hidden way to reach those fields put in
the second, in the third, forth etc. tabs..?

Best regards

    / Henning Jakobsen
      Norway

Re: FM Tab Control & Lasso Update

Fletcher Sandbeck
> Running: MacPro/10.4Server/Apache/FMSA8/LP8.5:
>
> I am experiencing the following behaviour:
>
>     I am able to pull data out from different fields spread around
>     in different Tab-objects in the same FileMaker layout...
>
>     But:
>
>     When doing an UPDATE from Lasso in a webpage I am not able to
>     write back to fields other than the left-most (primary) Tab
>     in a FileMaker layout using FM's Tab Control
>

> Is this to expect - or is there a hidden way to reach those fields
> put in the second, in the third, forth etc. tabs..?

In general we recommend creating layouts within your FileMaker database
which are tuned for the database actions that you are going to perform
through Lasso.  These layouts should contain the minimum number of
fields you are actually going to use through Lasso with minimal
formatting.  Doing so should speed up communication with FileMaker by
reducing the amount of extra data which is being sent to data and never
displayed.  And, can help clear up issues like this where FileMaker's UI
formatting seems to be interfering with Lasso's ability to access data.

This might be a good issue to raise with FMI directly.  We will look
into it from our end, but it feels like something they would need to
resolve.

Director of Product Development       http://www.lassostudio.com
OmniPilot Software, Inc.                http://www.omnipilot.com

Re: MySQL - Data too long for column...

Eric Landmann
Rich <[hidden email]> wrote on Friday, February 16, 2007:

>Ouch, another Navicat supporter.  CocoaMySQL puts the ^ where it
>finds the problem.
>

>On Feb 16, 2007, at 5:33 PM, Jason Huck wrote:
>
>> I was using CocoaMySQL (the latest SBG version) and it was isolating
>> the bad inserts, but I couldn't see anything in them that should cause
>> a problem.
>>
>> In the end I grabbed a 30-day trial of NaviCat and it of course did it
>> flawlessly on the first try. So I bought a license.

Rich, get with the program. Literally.

--Eric

Re: MySQL - Data too long for column...

Viaduct Productions
Sprinkle some cocoa on it for me.  I tried Navikak, didn't like it.