Re: Lasso or else? Is Lasso FadeWare?

1234 ... 6

Re: Lasso or else? Is Lasso FadeWare?

Viaduct Productions
Two points:

1.  We just came back from a Summit in Amsterdam where coders have
been part of the community for a decade.

2.  This Summit was to basically receive version 9, which is a
complete rewrite, whose goals are very ambitious.  Windows is offering
version 7, after Vista was a complete failure.

You honestly haven't seen anything regarding the future of Lasso?  Are
you following this list at all?

On 2009-10-15, at 5:46 PM, GregOconnor wrote:

> My management has asked me if LassoSoft / Lasso is still a good
> choice for
> web development. The impression is that there seems be only little
> momentum
> and innovation at LassoSoft.
>
> Our team has to have assurance that Lasso will be language we can
> build our
> business on also in the future. We are about to hire new staff:
> Shall we
> train them in Lasso or else?

Rich in Toronto
...back in the saddle again

Re: Lasso or else? Is Lasso FadeWare?

GregOconnor
Yes, I am aware about the LDC09 in Amsterdam. I trust that you have shared a lot of good news over there. I am also receiving the Lasso Digest daily but I am not able to follow single listings as they come in...

Greg

Viaduct Productions wrote

On 2009-10-15, at 5:46 PM, GregOconnor wrote:

> My management has asked me if LassoSoft / Lasso is still a good
> choice for
> web development. The impression is that there seems be only little
> momentum
> and innovation at LassoSoft.
>
> Our team has to have assurance that Lasso will be language we can
> build our
> business on also in the future. We are about to hire new staff:
> Shall we
> train them in Lasso or else?

Rich in Toronto
...back in the saddle again

Re: Lasso or else? Is Lasso FadeWare?

Viaduct Productions
They have been active since the Summit and demonstrate that there are
loads happening with Lasso.

Just some tidbits:

- it's a complete rewrite that will add speed to the core
- increased functionality including deployment from command line and
CentOS
- syntax updates that are being worked out at the moment in
documentation
- and a fine demonstration by the triad (both business and personal)
that things be hunky dory and exciting

I'm sure the digests have all the recent chatter.

On 2009-10-15, at 6:16 PM, GregOconnor wrote:

> Yes, I am aware about the LDC09 in Amsterdam. I trust that you have
> shared a
> lot of good news over there. I am also receiving the Lasso Digest
> daily but
> I am not able to follow single listings as they come in...

Rich in Toronto
...back in the saddle again

Re: Lasso or else? Is Lasso FadeWare?

Brad Lindsay-2
I haven't been on this list for even a year yet.

I have been working with the Lasso 9 beta and am extremely excited
about the direction it will take the language.  My other main
programming language is Python, but I'm much more excited about the
future of Lasso then of Python.

 From my perspective, there seems to be a surge of projects being put
forth or updated from the community. Here's a link mentioning some of
the new stuff coming out of LDC: http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-Amsterdam-LDC--p25809582.html
And the exciting part, most of this stuff is open source, so we as the
community can become involved in helping improve it.

I think the future of Lasso looks extremely bright, especially with 9

-Brad

On Oct 15, 2009, at 5:46 PM, GregOconnor wrote:

> I have to write a report: Why using Lasso.
>
> My team has secured a number of new projects of web development. As
> per date
> we have been using Lasso with FileMaker or MySQL. Some projects were
> PHP/MySQL.
>
> My management has asked me if LassoSoft / Lasso is still a good
> choice for
> web development. The impression is that there seems be only little
> momentum
> and innovation at LassoSoft.
>
> Our team has to have assurance that Lasso will be language we can
> build our
> business on also in the future. We are about to hire new staff:
> Shall we
> train them in Lasso or else?
>
> For some time, there is hardly any good exiting news, old and not
> maintained
> LassoSoft web site with old information, hardly new people on
> LassoTalk.
> Lasso9 has been announced longtime ago, people have paid longtime
> ago and it
> seems, nothing is really happening. Is Lasso fading away?
>
> Is there something we don't know. Are we left outside of the queue?
>
> I have to report to me boss soon why we should take Lasso into
> consideration
> for future development projects and I would appreciate feedback from
> the
> list:
>
> -Why consider Lasso for the future?
> -What are the benefits of Lasso compared to PHP, etc?
> -Where is LassoSoft / Lasso going to be in the future?
>
> It would be great to get feed back from the Lasso community and Lasso
> management to enable us to make a possitive decision to go Lasso
> also in the
> future.
>
> Greetings
> Greg

Re: Lasso or else? Is Lasso FadeWare?

Viaduct Productions
"9 is the new 5"

On 2009-10-15, at 6:20 PM, Brad Lindsay wrote:

> I think the future of Lasso looks extremely bright, especially with 9

Rich in Toronto
...back in the saddle again

Re: Lasso or else? Is Lasso FadeWare?

GregOconnor
Glad to hear positive feedback coming in. I need all the good news (facts, feaatures and comparisions) and future related Lasso info to get it into my report. Hope more is coming in to be able to write a convincing report about Lasso.

Greg

Brad Lindsay-2 wrote
I haven't been on this list for even a year yet.

I have been working with the Lasso 9 beta and am extremely excited
about the direction it will take the language.  My other main
programming language is Python, but I'm much more excited about the
future of Lasso then of Python.

 From my perspective, there seems to be a surge of projects being put
forth or updated from the community. Here's a link mentioning some of
the new stuff coming out of LDC: http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-Amsterdam-LDC--p25809582.html
And the exciting part, most of this stuff is open source, so we as the
community can become involved in helping improve it.

I think the future of Lasso looks extremely bright, especially with 9

-Brad

On Oct 15, 2009, at 5:46 PM, GregOconnor wrote:

> I have to write a report: Why using Lasso.
>
> My team has secured a number of new projects of web development. As
> per date
> we have been using Lasso with FileMaker or MySQL. Some projects were
> PHP/MySQL.
>
> My management has asked me if LassoSoft / Lasso is still a good
> choice for
> web development. The impression is that there seems be only little
> momentum
> and innovation at LassoSoft.
>
> Our team has to have assurance that Lasso will be language we can
> build our
> business on also in the future. We are about to hire new staff:
> Shall we
> train them in Lasso or else?
>
> For some time, there is hardly any good exiting news, old and not
> maintained
> LassoSoft web site with old information, hardly new people on
> LassoTalk.
> Lasso9 has been announced longtime ago, people have paid longtime
> ago and it
> seems, nothing is really happening. Is Lasso fading away?
>
> Is there something we don't know. Are we left outside of the queue?
>
> I have to report to me boss soon why we should take Lasso into
> consideration
> for future development projects and I would appreciate feedback from
> the
> list:
>
> -Why consider Lasso for the future?
> -What are the benefits of Lasso compared to PHP, etc?
> -Where is LassoSoft / Lasso going to be in the future?
>
> It would be great to get feed back from the Lasso community and Lasso
> management to enable us to make a possitive decision to go Lasso
> also in the
> future.
>
> Greetings
> Greg

Re: Lasso or else? Is Lasso FadeWare?

Neither LassoSoft nor Lasso is going away.

The Lasso Developer Conference was recently held in Amsterdam.
Locations are being discussed for LDC 2010.

You might want to contact Treefrog Interactive, a medium-size
firm that depends upon Lasso.  There are many other firms that
have a similar dependency upon Lasso.

http://www.treefrog.ca/
http://lassosoft.com/Community/Lasso/index.lasso
http://lassosoft.com/Community/Hosting/index.lasso
http://lassosoft.com/Community/Training/index.lasso
http://lassosoft.com/Community/Developer/index.lasso

...and those are only the ones who have asked to be listed on
the LS site.

Lasso 9 is now in public beta, and development is continuing (finalizing(?)).

A majority of speed tests indicate that Lasso 9 is much faster
than PHP.

Here are some past opinions and data comparing Lasso and PHP
(even some Ruby and Cold Fusion to boot):

http://www.nabble.com/forum/Search.jtp?forum=739&local=y&query=lasso+vs+php

Personally I find that Lasso is easier to learn than PHP.  If
you have a C or PHP programming background, then obviously PHP
would be more familiar to you.

In summary:
* Lasso is here to stay, grow and improve.
* There are plenty of experienced Lasso developers whom you
could hire or contract with.
* Both PHP and Lasso have their technical merits, although I
think Lasso has the overall edge.
* Lasso has a great and extremely helpful community.
* Lasso has excellent documentation.

--steve

On 10/15/09 at 2:46 PM, [hidden email] (GregOconnor) pronounced:

>I have to write a report: Why using Lasso.
>
>My team has secured a number of new projects of web development. As per date
>we have been using Lasso with FileMaker or MySQL. Some projects were
>PHP/MySQL.
>
>My management has asked me if LassoSoft / Lasso is still a good choice for
>web development. The impression is that there seems be only little momentum
>and innovation at LassoSoft.
>Our team has to have assurance that Lasso will be language we can build our
>business on also in the future. We are about to hire new staff: Shall we
>train them in Lasso or else?
>
>For some time, there is hardly any good exiting news, old and not maintained
>LassoSoft web site with old information, hardly new people on LassoTalk.
>Lasso9 has been announced longtime ago, people have paid longtime ago and it
>seems, nothing is really happening. Is Lasso fading away?
>
>Is there something we don't know. Are we left outside of the queue?
>
>I have to report to me boss soon why we should take Lasso into consideration
>for future development projects and I would appreciate feedback from the
>list:
>
>-Why consider Lasso for the future?
>-What are the benefits of Lasso compared to PHP, etc?
>-Where is LassoSoft / Lasso going to be in the future?
>
>It would be great to get feed back from the Lasso community and Lasso
>management to enable us to make a possitive decision to go Lasso also in the
>future.
>
>Greetings
>Greg

-- --
Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder
Soquel, CA

Re: Lasso or else? Is Lasso FadeWare?

Brian Loomis-3
What I would say is this:

Kyle and Fletcher have been sequestered for a LONG time working on a
major rewrite and implementing many features from other languages as
well as looking to the future and creating things that are not seen
yet, such as traits.

I've personally seen influence from php, python, ruby, and loa
(compiling to machine language) among others.

Lasso9 promises to be a best of breed improvement of the lasso
language with features and speed increases that are very exciting.

On Oct 15, 2009, at 3:53 PM, Viaduct Productions wrote:

> Two points:
>
> 1.  We just came back from a Summit in Amsterdam where coders have
> been part of the community for a decade.
>
> 2.  This Summit was to basically receive version 9, which is a
> complete rewrite, whose goals are very ambitious.  Windows is
> offering version 7, after Vista was a complete failure.
>
> You honestly haven't seen anything regarding the future of Lasso?
> Are you following this list at all?
>

> On 2009-10-15, at 5:46 PM, GregOconnor wrote:
>
>> My management has asked me if LassoSoft / Lasso is still a good
>> choice for
>> web development. The impression is that there seems be only little
>> momentum
>> and innovation at LassoSoft.
>>
>> Our team has to have assurance that Lasso will be language we can
>> build our
>> business on also in the future. We are about to hire new staff:
>> Shall we
>> train them in Lasso or else?
>

> Rich in Toronto
> ...back in the saddle again

Brian Loomis
http://www.virtualrelations.us
(208) 639-2569 - 208 NEW BLOX
-- email checked daily --

Re: Lasso or else? Is Lasso FadeWare?

Tami Williams-3
Greg - contact Kerry directly -  <[hidden email]> and ask him
what he would say to your boss.  In fact, Kerry should post a "Why
Lasso" document somewhere on the LassoSoft site - is there one there
already?

Also, there is the fact that unlike php you CAN directly contact the
people responsible for Lasso.

And, like someone else has mentioned, even though the number of
people developing with Lasso is small (compared to PHP) - there are a
number of us who've been using it for at least a decade.

And we're friendly and willing to help - you can even contact some of
us by phone (skype is free for long distance calls) if you/they
really get stuck.

On 2009-10-15, at 7:10 PM, Tami Williams wrote:

> And, like someone else has mentioned, even though the number of
> people developing with Lasso is small (compared to PHP) - there are
> a number of us who've been using it for at least a decade.

It was great to meet people in person for a change.  I've missed all
but one of the LDCs, but Amsterdam was just simply an absolutely
fabulous time with people I've actually known online for many years.
Also nice to discuss Lasso over some pints, something I've never been
able to do in Toronto.

Rich in Toronto
...back in the saddle again

Re: Lasso or else? Is Lasso FadeWare?

GregOconnor
I like to read that Lasso9 has influences from other languages and lots of new features. We are going to hire some new coders here while I am on contract in China, hope the learning curve for training Lasso9 is not too steep :)

Would be great to have a official LassoSoft update and spec sheet incl description of features, etc from Kyle, Fletcher or Kerry to get some beef into my report.

Greg

Brian Loomis-3 wrote

On 2009-10-15, at 7:22 PM, GregOconnor wrote:

> Would be great to have a official LassoSoft update and spec sheet incl
> description of features, etc from Kyle, Fletcher or Kerry to get
> some beef
> into my report.

I think they are busy focussing on Lasso 9 and its documentation,
before selling it will take place.  As presented, it's in Public Beta
at the moment, and the community is getting to know the new structures
and reporting any found issues.

Rich in Toronto
...back in the saddle again

Re: Lasso or else? Is Lasso FadeWare?

stevepiercy
On 10/15/09 at 7:26 PM, [hidden email] (Viaduct
Productions) pronounced:

>On 2009-10-15, at 7:22 PM, GregOconnor wrote:
>
>>Would be great to have a official LassoSoft update and spec sheet incl
>>description of features, etc from Kyle, Fletcher or Kerry to
>>get some beef
>>into my report.
>
>I think they are busy focussing on Lasso 9 and its
>documentation, before selling it will take place.  As
>presented, it's in Public Beta at the moment, and the community
>is getting to know the new structures and reporting any found issues.

Indeed.  It would be nice to have some shiny marketing
collateral to throw at your boss, but we all know what really
matters is the product, not the spiked heels and fishnet
stockings it wears.

-- --
Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder
Soquel, CA

Re: Lasso or else? Is Lasso FadeWare?

GregOconnor
I am feeling a huge sign a relief that there is positive momentum. Let's see what LassoSoft is coming up with - hope fully soon - a complete set of useful information "Why Lasso" in order to be able "proudly" present great news on Lasso's future.

Greg

Viaduct Productions wrote
On 2009-10-15, at 7:22 PM, GregOconnor wrote:

> Would be great to have a official LassoSoft update and spec sheet incl
> description of features, etc from Kyle, Fletcher or Kerry to get
> some beef
> into my report.

I think they are busy focussing on Lasso 9 and its documentation,
before selling it will take place.  As presented, it's in Public Beta
at the moment, and the community is getting to know the new structures
and reporting any found issues.

Rich in Toronto
...back in the saddle again

Re: Lasso or else? Is Lasso FadeWare?

Lars A. Gundersen-2
I think Greg is voicing a valid concern, which should not be brushed
off or lambasted. Many of us *did* pay for Lasso 9 long time ago, and
from a casual glance there has not been much happening since. Remember
that there is a huge discrepancy between what the core here know
(those that are on the beta-list, I suppose) and what the rest, like
me, of us know, not to mention those not on this list.
I did pay for Lasso 9 pretty much exactly a year ago. It is not normal
practice to let customers wait one year for their prepaid product. And
I have had zero communication from Lassosoft about the delay. Just a
simple 'Dear valued customer, here's the lay of the land' kind of
email once or twice. Lassosoft must not expect all their customers to
keep up with the status on this list. If they do, it must be because
all their customers *are* in fact on this list, which would be
worrisome. If they don't, they must work on their customer
communication.
Look at the home page of their web. It does incredibly enough not tell
you what Lasso is in a simple way. The "Beyond Scripting...
Professional Programming for the Web." is a slogan, but doesn't offer
much insight. And it's not the first thing you see, front and centre
is a big block of text displaying the current news. Nice and
interesting... if you already are interested, like us. For newcomers,
not so much.
And please, put the customers displayed here: http://lassosoft.com/Community/Lasso/index.lasso
  on to a nicely looking grid. Please.

I am excited about Lasso 9 and very encouraged about the open source
projects I've seen springing up lately, which I consider a vital
ingredient in growing the platform, but I definitely understand
perfectly fine that if you do not follow this list closely, it looks
like there is not much happening, and in fact, you'd be forgiven for
thinking Lassosoft is struggling with the lack of communication coming
from that direction.

The dev. conference is not an argument for the vitality of the
platform IMHO. A significant increase in attendance and many fresh
faces would be.

It is absolutely vital for Lassosoft to do some serious media blitzing
when L9 launches. I'm talking demo videos, quick comparisons with
competitors, simple code samples to show its ease, real world use,
etc. Beat the drum!

Lars

--
Lars A. Gundersen
Sonora IT

Re: Lasso or else? Is Lasso FadeWare?

Justin Dennis-3
Hi -

I've been using Lasso since Lasso Server 2.5.2 came out. I think that
was around 1999-2000. I was using FileMaker Pro's built-in web
technology called CDML at the time. I thought that was pretty slick
stuff, so I researched where it came from. I found Lasso.

Since then, I've upgraded with every new version. I can honestly say
I've never needed tech support between the quality of documentation,
the members on this list, and the example code.

Every Lasso Summit I've been to (Fort Lauderdale twice, Chicago once)
has introduced me to great new technologies that I wouldn't have
discovered on my own.

If Lasso Soft never introduced "LJAX", I don't think I would have
gotten so comfortable with AJAX as quickly as I did. Now I use jQuery
and Lasso together on every new project. LJAX helped "ease" me into
the more complicated and capable technology. Same goes for MySQL --
Lasso's introduction of MySQL support helped "ease" me into the better
database server.

I have dabbled in PHP, Ruby on Rails, and Python. There is absolutely
no easier way to get a MySQL database on the web than using Lasso. I
have helped some people I work with get up to speed on Lasso, and they
were previously PHP advocates. They won't touch PHP any more. Like me,
they have "real jobs" and a company to run. Lasso gives us a perfect
combination of capability, reliability, and ease-of-use that makes it
perfect for our organization. I can honestly say that Lasso plays a
critical role in every facet of our company, and it will remain that
way.

We just purchased our Lasso 9 upgrade a few weeks ago. Every time I'm
ready to take the "next step" in technology, I have found that Lasso
is consistently one step ahead. (Probably more than that. :-)

- Justin

On 2009-10-15, at 7:46 PM, Lars A Gundersen wrote:

> I think Greg is voicing a valid concern, which should not be brushed
> off or lambasted. Many of us *did* pay for Lasso 9 long time ago,
> and from a casual glance there has not been much happening since.
> Remember that there is a huge discrepancy between what the core here
> know (those that are on the beta-list, I suppose) and what the rest,
> like me, of us know, not to mention those not on this list.

And there's been plenty on the list to say that casual glances aren't
something to start using to doubt the future of something.  Like I
said, this list has demonstrated a surge in conversation over new
structures, and the demonstration of a conference in Europe.  If
anybody can consider a European conference the sign of "zero
happening", then they are in the wrong business of software
development.  The website is rife of information about the
conference.  Or did you just look at the lassosoft home page?

If you want to know more, then get on the beta list.  I've said twice
now that it's Public Beta.  Public means "anybody".

To reiterate, to spend time on the website, to sell something on
something that isn't completed yet, is a complete backwards to
prioritizing what needs to be done.  The current situation isn't about
when people paid for LP9.  Updating the website will only delay when
you actually get LP9, so it works against your argument that you want
trumpets instead of the actual meal.

> I did pay for Lasso 9 pretty much exactly a year ago. It is not
> normal practice to let customers wait one year for their prepaid
> product.

Perhaps not, but that's the situation we are in.  What do you
suggest?  A website that says "it's being polished out with
documentation"?  Or how about that it's Public Beta?

>  And I have had zero communication from Lassosoft about the delay.
> Just a simple 'Dear valued customer, here's the lay of the land'
> kind of email once or twice. Lassosoft must not expect all their
> customers to keep up with the status on this list. If they do, it
> must be because all their customers *are* in fact on this list,
> which would be worrisome. If they don't, they must work on their
> customer communication.

Us that attended the Summit had loads.  And we also know where they
are with regards to finishing.  And we also know their priority list.
But you are in here, reading this thread, commenting on someone else's
post, indicating that they haven't read what's going on in the list.

> Look at the home page of their web. It does incredibly enough not
> tell you what Lasso is in a simple way. The "Beyond Scripting...
> Professional Programming for the Web." is a slogan, but doesn't
> offer much insight. And it's not the first thing you see, front and
> centre is a big block of text displaying the current news. Nice and
> interesting... if you already are interested, like us. For
> newcomers, not so much.
> And please, put the customers displayed here: http://lassosoft.com/Community/Lasso/index.lasso
>  on to a nicely looking grid. Please.
>
> I am excited about Lasso 9 and very encouraged about the open source
> projects I've seen springing up lately, which I consider a vital
> ingredient in growing the platform, but I definitely understand
> perfectly fine that if you do not follow this list closely, it looks
> like there is not much happening, and in fact, you'd be forgiven for
> thinking Lassosoft is struggling with the lack of communication
> coming from that direction.

Lists are usually a place where you can interact with the community
and company employees about the happenings of the software,
development, etc.  The recent threads since the LDC ended, is a fine
example of what's happening.

> The dev. conference is not an argument for the vitality of the
> platform IMHO. A significant increase in attendance and many fresh
> faces would be.

Then tell us what you want.  An updated website isn't going to help
you out in any way.  Nor anybody else.  Most of us want the software,
not lower priority items.

> It is absolutely vital for Lassosoft to do some serious media
> blitzing when L9 launches. I'm talking demo videos, quick
> comparisons with competitors, simple code samples to show its ease,
> real world use, etc. Beat the drum!

When it launches.  So you want the blitz before.  That makes no sense
at all.  If you want to help out, please offer your services.
Otherwise, realize it's a 3 person company accomplishing a big task.

Rich in Toronto
...back in the saddle again

Re: Lasso or else? Is Lasso FadeWare?

GregOconnor
Justin. This is how we see in the past as well. We have a similar good historical experience with Lasso. Since Blueworld. You have had the opportunity to belong to the "choosen few" :) being able to take part in the LDC's.

There is no question about the history: We need to have a satisfactory road into the future.

What we are asking for, information, confirmation, commitment, communication with a plan, features and facts for the future.

I need to feed management with facts to enable them to make informed decisions for "future" investments into Lasso.

Greg

Justin Dennis-3 wrote

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 7:34 PM, GregOconnor <greg.oconnor@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> I am feeling a huge sign a relief that there is positive momentum. Let's see
> what LassoSoft is coming up with - hope fully soon - a complete set of
> useful information "Why Lasso" in order to be able "proudly" present great
> news on Lasso's future.

Re: Lasso or else? Is Lasso FadeWare?

GregOconnor
I liked Lars' contribution, factual and presenting our concerns.

I am afraid Rick is getting a bully'isch. Isn't he? Defense doesn't help me in putting together a positive outlook for the guys who will pay the bills. Neither can I present them a collection of the "List" or "BetaList".

Greg

Viaduct Productions wrote

On 2009-10-15, at 8:33 PM, GregOconnor wrote:

> I liked Lars' contribution, factual and presenting our concerns.
>
> I am afraid Rick is getting a bully'isch. Isn't he? Defense doesn't
> help me
> in putting together a positive outlook for the guys who will pay the
> bills.
> Neither can I present them a collection of the "List" or "BetaList".

Great.  I think it's rather immature to come into a list and complain
about the state of things after a conference and plenty of information
on the list and the website.  You demand so much support on something,
yet you have shown little effort in gaining that information.  The
guys that pay the bills didn't send anybody to the conference, so they
get what they pay for.  And if they can't afford to have someone
review the site and pay attention to the list, maybe they should look
for PHP developers as they can be found for $10/hour.

So put some effort into solving your problem and not unloading it onto
a company that's working their ass off to get LP9 to you as soon as
they can.  Doing so takes them away from their efforts which delays it
for everybody.  That's not bullying, that's common sense.

And another thing...nobody on this list, nor anybody at Lassosoft, is
responsible for your presentation.  My suggestion is to put together a
list of items that demonstrates the current position of the community
and the software.  The site currently shows 8.5's functionality, and
many companies have bought into it.  9 will be better, but it is where
it is, regardless of anybody's needs.

Rich in Toronto
...back in the saddle again

1234 ... 6