Pure Lasso Upload solution with Progress Bar

Pure Lasso Upload solution with Progress Bar

Marc Pinnell-3
Has it been done yet? I am currently using a solution of PHP/Perl/
Lasso/CGI which is a pain in the rump to migrate and manage. I have
heard bits and pieces on this list for possible solutions, but
doesn't seem like it has been put together in one spot yet.

Marc Pinnell
1027 Consulting
web << DESIGN >> print
PO Box 990872; Redding, CA 96099-0872
www.1027Consulting.com

Re: Pure Lasso Upload solution with Progress Bar

Pier Kuipers
Hi Marc,

I feel your pain... Like yourself, I've been dabbling with similar
solution and managed to at least get rid of PHP :-)
However, I don't think there's a current solution without Perl.
Anyway, I've a Lasso/Perl (CGI) demo on
http://www.visualid.com/upload/upload.lasso , and a few files on
http://www.lassoforge.com/projects.lasso?PR=62

HTH

Pier.

On 2/23/06, Lasso List <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has it been done yet? I am currently using a solution of PHP/Perl/
> Lasso/CGI which is a pain in the rump to migrate and manage. I have
> heard bits and pieces on this list for possible solutions, but
> doesn't seem like it has been put together in one spot yet.
>
> Marc
>
> --
> Marc Pinnell
> 1027 Consulting
> web << DESIGN >> print
> PO Box 990872; Redding, CA 96099-0872
> www.1027Consulting.com

Pier Kuipers
66 St. Aidan's Drive
Goatstown
Dublin 14
iReland
Tel. +353 1 216 4939
Mobile +353 87 294 3063

Re: Pure Lasso Upload solution with Progress Bar

Marc Pinnell-3
Looks familiar! Thanks, I will take a look at the code. I remember
Fletcher or someone saying that it might be possible to cut out the
Perl. I need to dig back through the archives and see if I can find
that post.

Let you know if I find something.
Marc

On Feb 23, 2006, at 2:06 PM, Pier Kuipers wrote:

> Hi Marc,
>
> I feel your pain... Like yourself, I've been dabbling with similar
> solution and managed to at least get rid of PHP :-)
> However, I don't think there's a current solution without Perl.
> Anyway, I've a Lasso/Perl (CGI) demo on
> http://www.visualid.com/upload/upload.lasso , and a few files on
> http://www.lassoforge.com/projects.lasso?PR=62
>
> HTH
>
> Pier.
>
> On 2/23/06, Lasso List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Has it been done yet? I am currently using a solution of PHP/Perl/
>> Lasso/CGI which is a pain in the rump to migrate and manage. I have
>> heard bits and pieces on this list for possible solutions, but
>> doesn't seem like it has been put together in one spot yet.
>>
>> Marc
>>
>> --
>> Marc Pinnell
>> 1027 Consulting
>> web << DESIGN >> print
>> PO Box 990872; Redding, CA 96099-0872
>> www.1027Consulting.com

> Pier Kuipers
> 66 St. Aidan's Drive
> Goatstown
> Dublin 14
> iReland
> Tel. +353 1 216 4939
> Mobile +353 87 294 3063

Marc Pinnell
1027 Consulting
web << DESIGN >> print
PO Box 990872; Redding, CA 96099-0872
www.1027Consulting.com

Re: Pure Lasso Upload solution with Progress Bar

Fletcher Sandbeck
On 2/23/06 at 6:35 PM by [hidden email] (Lasso List):

>Looks familiar! Thanks, I will take a look at the code. I remember
>Fletcher or someone saying that it might be possible to cut out the
>Perl. I need to dig back through the archives and see if I can find
>that post.

I took a stab at an upload progress indicator for this week's tip.

<http://www.omnipilot.com/TotW.1768.9061.lasso>

The idea I used is to simply display a div with a message and animated gif when the user submits the form.  This progress indicator loops until the file upload is complete and the page actually refreshes.  The visitor is provided with visual feedback that the file upload is happening but doesn't get an indicator of percentage completion.  I find this type of solution appealing since it is so lightweight and doesn't require additional server-side tools or extra page loads.

This solution could be enhanced by using an AJAX technique to dynamically refresh the progress indicator div once it is shown.  And of course the look and feel of the progress indicator itself can be changed dramatically.

Lasso Studio Guy                      http://www.lassostudio.com
OmniPilot Software, Inc.                http://www.omnipilot.com

Re: Pure Lasso Upload solution with Progress Bar

Brett Harvey

>This solution could be enhanced by using an AJAX technique to
>dynamically refresh the progress indicator div once it is shown.

what?  Fletcher... after your great ajax demoing and you didnt make
this Lajax?   lol  Im disappointed ;)