Progress Bar on Upload

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Progress Bar on Upload

Jim Van Heule
I just uploaded a 96MB file for the Lasso Summit Banner to a sign  
company and found they have an interesting progress bar on upload.

Once you click to upload, they have a small popup html page that  
gives the progress of the upload. Included is:

Estimated Time Left: 4min 28 sec (55618.1 KB of 98367.6 KB uploaded)
Transfer Rate: 240 KB/sec.
Information: Transferring Data...
Uploading File: LassoSummitBanner.tif

...along with your standard progress bar. I noticed in the source  
code the page refreshes every 2 seconds so the progress constantly  
changes.

Does Lasso have the tools capable in it to mimic such a download with  
the above progress information? I was pretty impressed.

--
Jim Van Heule
Heunox Corporation
(616) 844-0066

============================================
Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/
============================================

--
------------------------------
Lasso Support: http://support.omnipilot.com/
Search the list archives: http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso
Manage your list subscription:  
http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?manage
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Progress Bar on Upload

Marc Pinnell-3
Lasso doesn't have the tools, but I have been using Uber Uploader  
which the upload you found sounds a lot like...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/uber-uploader

Marc


On Jan 18, 2006, at 4:26 PM, Jim Van Heule wrote:

> I just uploaded a 96MB file for the Lasso Summit Banner to a sign  
> company and found they have an interesting progress bar on upload.
>
> Once you click to upload, they have a small popup html page that  
> gives the progress of the upload. Included is:
>
> Estimated Time Left: 4min 28 sec (55618.1 KB of 98367.6 KB uploaded)
> Transfer Rate: 240 KB/sec.
> Information: Transferring Data...
> Uploading File: LassoSummitBanner.tif
>
> ....along with your standard progress bar. I noticed in the source  
> code the page refreshes every 2 seconds so the progress constantly  
> changes.
>
> Does Lasso have the tools capable in it to mimic such a download  
> with the above progress information? I was pretty impressed.
>
> --
> Jim Van Heule
> Heunox Corporation
> (616) 844-0066
>
> ============================================
> Attend the Lasso SummitFebruary 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
> http://www.LassoSummit.com/
> ============================================
>
> --
> ------------------------------
> Lasso Support: http://support.omnipilot.com/
> Search the list archives: http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso
> Manage your list subscription: http://www.listsearch.com/ 
> lassotalk.lasso?manage
>

--
Marc Pinnell
1027 Consulting
web << DESIGN >> print
PO Box 990872; Redding, CA 96099-0872
www.1027Consulting.com



============================================
Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/
============================================

--
------------------------------
Lasso Support: http://support.omnipilot.com/
Search the list archives: http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso
Manage your list subscription:  
http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?manage
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Progress Bar on Upload

Fletcher Sandbeck
In reply to this post by Jim Van Heule
On 1/18/06 at 5:06 PM by [hidden email] (Marc Pinnell):

>Lasso doesn't have the tools, but I have been using Uber Uploader  
>which the upload you found sounds a lot like...

Sure, Lasso has the tools.  Lasso supports file uploads and a progress bar was described in a tip of the week last year.  Combine the two and, ideally, update the progress bar to use AJAX, and off you go.

<http://www.omnipilot.com/Tip%20of%20the%20Week.1768.8296.lasso>

If the volume of uploads isn't too great you can probably even figure out the actual upload speed by watching Lasso's temp files.  However, since they aren't named sequentially for security reasons it's not quite as easy to tell which temp file corresponds to which upload.

[fletcher]
--
Fletcher Sandbeck                         [hidden email]
Lasso Product Specialist              [hidden email]
OmniPilot Software, Inc.                http://www.omnipilot.com

============================================
Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/
============================================

--
------------------------------
Lasso Support: http://support.omnipilot.com/
Search the list archives: http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso
Manage your list subscription:  
http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?manage
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Progress Bar on Upload

Steffan A. Cline
In reply to this post by Jim Van Heule
Only problem here is that there is no way to get the file size. I discussed
this 2 years ago with Kyle in depth. We tested this and the problem is that
no browser sends a header to the server indicating the file size. So, in
this case Lasso has no idea how big the file is until its uploaded. I fail
to see how the other system is accurate at any level. The best bet is to use
one of the free java applets out there to do it for you. The applet has
access to all of these parameters.

Have things changed where browsers are now sending headers with the file
sizes on upload?



Thanks

Steffan

---------------------------------------------------------------
T E L  6 0 2 . 5 7 9 . 4 2 3 0 | F A X  6 0 2 . 9 7 1 . 1 6 9 4
Steffan A. Cline
[hidden email]                             Phoenix, Az
http://www.ExecuChoice.net                                  USA
AIM : SteffanC          ICQ : 57234309
The Executive's Choice in Lasso driven Internet Applications
                                  Lasso Partner Alliance Member
---------------------------------------------------------------



> From: Fletcher Sandbeck <[hidden email]>
> Reply-To: <[hidden email]>
> Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 20:28:34 -0800
> To: <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Progress Bar on Upload
>
> On 1/18/06 at 5:06 PM by [hidden email] (Marc Pinnell):
>
>> Lasso doesn't have the tools, but I have been using Uber Uploader
>> which the upload you found sounds a lot like...
>
> Sure, Lasso has the tools.  Lasso supports file uploads and a progress bar was
> described in a tip of the week last year.  Combine the two and, ideally,
> update the progress bar to use AJAX, and off you go.
>
> <http://www.omnipilot.com/Tip%20of%20the%20Week.1768.8296.lasso>
>
> If the volume of uploads isn't too great you can probably even figure out the
> actual upload speed by watching Lasso's temp files.  However, since they
> aren't named sequentially for security reasons it's not quite as easy to tell
> which temp file corresponds to which upload.
>
> [fletcher]
> --
> Fletcher Sandbeck                         [hidden email]
> Lasso Product Specialist              [hidden email]
> OmniPilot Software, Inc.                http://www.omnipilot.com
>
> ============================================
> Attend the Lasso Summit
> February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
> http://www.LassoSummit.com/
> ============================================
>
> --
> ------------------------------
> Lasso Support: http://support.omnipilot.com/
> Search the list archives: http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso
> Manage your list subscription:
> http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?manage



============================================
Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/
============================================

--
------------------------------
Lasso Support: http://support.omnipilot.com/
Search the list archives: http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso
Manage your list subscription:  
http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?manage
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Progress Bar on Upload

Alex Pilson
In reply to this post by Jim Van Heule
At 5:57 AM -0700 1/19/06, Steffan A. Cline wrote:

>Only problem here is that there is no way to get the file size. I discussed
>this 2 years ago with Kyle in depth. We tested this and the problem is that
>no browser sends a header to the server indicating the file size. So, in
>this case Lasso has no idea how big the file is until its uploaded. I fail
>to see how the other system is accurate at any level. The best bet is to use
>one of the free java applets out there to do it for you. The applet has
>access to all of these parameters.
>
>Have things changed where browsers are now sending headers with the file
>sizes on upload?

Check this is out, looks like PHP is in the same boat. You have to
use auxiliary languages such as Perl. I vaguely remember someone
putting together a Lasso/Perl progress bar last year.

http://www.raditha.com/php/progress.php

I think the best bet is what you said, use a full featured applet.
Like jUpload:

http://jupload.biz
--
<?------------------------------------------------------------------------------/>
     Alex Pilson          FlagShip Hosting, LLC
     800.592.6781     <http://www.flagshiphosting.com>
<?------------------------------------------------------------------------------/>

============================================
Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/
============================================

--
------------------------------
Lasso Support: http://support.omnipilot.com/
Search the list archives: http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso
Manage your list subscription:  
http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?manage
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Progress Bar on Upload

Marc Pinnell-3
In reply to this post by Jim Van Heule
I used (or tried to) jupload last year before going to uber uploader.  
Uber uses perl and handled the files much better than the jupload  
applet. I had numerous complaints/concerns from customers about the  
security certificate and such with jupload. Uber uploader gets around  
all that and seems faster.

Marc


On Jan 19, 2006, at 5:08 AM, Alex Pilson wrote:

> At 5:57 AM -0700 1/19/06, Steffan A. Cline wrote:
>> Only problem here is that there is no way to get the file size. I  
>> discussed
>> this 2 years ago with Kyle in depth. We tested this and the  
>> problem is that
>> no browser sends a header to the server indicating the file size.  
>> So, in
>> this case Lasso has no idea how big the file is until its  
>> uploaded. I fail
>> to see how the other system is accurate at any level. The best bet  
>> is to use
>> one of the free java applets out there to do it for you. The  
>> applet has
>> access to all of these parameters.
>>
>> Have things changed where browsers are now sending headers with  
>> the file
>> sizes on upload?
>
> Check this is out, looks like PHP is in the same boat. You have to  
> use auxiliary languages such as Perl. I vaguely remember someone  
> putting together a Lasso/Perl progress bar last year.
>
> http://www.raditha.com/php/progress.php
>
> I think the best bet is what you said, use a full featured applet.  
> Like jUpload:
>
> http://jupload.biz
> --
> <?--------------------------------------------------------------------
> ----------/>
>     Alex Pilson          FlagShip Hosting, LLC
>     800.592.6781     <http://www.flagshiphosting.com>
> <?--------------------------------------------------------------------
> ----------/>
>
> ============================================
> Attend the Lasso Summit February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
> http://www.LassoSummit.com/
> ============================================
>
> --
> ------------------------------
> Lasso Support: http://support.omnipilot.com/
> Search the list archives: http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso
> Manage your list subscription:  http://www.listsearch.com/ 
> lassotalk.lasso?manage
>

--
Marc Pinnell
1027 Consulting
web << DESIGN >> print
PO Box 990872; Redding, CA 96099-0872
www.1027Consulting.com



============================================
Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/
============================================

--
------------------------------
Lasso Support: http://support.omnipilot.com/
Search the list archives: http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso
Manage your list subscription:  
http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?manage
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Progress Bar on Upload

Pier Kuipers
In reply to this post by Jim Van Heule
As some of the people on this list are aware, an upload progress bar
is my pet problem. I went so far as to port Raditha Dissanyake's PHP
version to Lasso, but the project has sort of stalled since then.
Problem is that it uses Perl, and I'm no Perl Person. Also, it
completely does away with whatever upload functinality is built in to
Lasso, and you're kind of reinventing the wheel. Still, must dig it
out again.
If you're interested, Jim - and others ;-) - I put it on Lassoforge,
http://www.lassoforge.net/projects.lasso?PR=62

Cheers

Pier

On 1/19/06, Jim Van Heule <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just uploaded a 96MB file for the Lasso Summit Banner to a sign
> company and found they have an interesting progress bar on upload.
>
> Once you click to upload, they have a small popup html page that
> gives the progress of the upload. Included is:
>
> Estimated Time Left: 4min 28 sec (55618.1 KB of 98367.6 KB uploaded)
> Transfer Rate: 240 KB/sec.
> Information: Transferring Data...
> Uploading File: LassoSummitBanner.tif
>
> ...along with your standard progress bar. I noticed in the source
> code the page refreshes every 2 seconds so the progress constantly
> changes.
>
> Does Lasso have the tools capable in it to mimic such a download with
> the above progress information? I was pretty impressed.
>
> --
> Jim Van Heule
> Heunox Corporation
> (616) 844-0066
>
> ============================================
> Attend the Lasso Summit
> February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
> http://www.LassoSummit.com/
> ============================================
>
> --
> ------------------------------
> Lasso Support: http://support.omnipilot.com/
> Search the list archives: http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso
> Manage your list subscription:
> http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?manage
>


--
Pier Kuipers
66 St. Aidan's Drive
Goatstown
Dublin 14
iReland
Tel. +353 1 216 4939
Mobile +353 87 294 3063

============================================
Attend the Lasso Summit
February 17-19, 2006 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
http://www.LassoSummit.com/
============================================

--
------------------------------
Lasso Support: http://support.omnipilot.com/
Search the list archives: http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso
Manage your list subscription:  
http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?manage